Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was cautiously optimistic after the pilot. The second ep, like always, was mediocre. But after 4 eps, I'm all in.

The leaker did Syfy a favor because a lot of people, myself included, might have cut after ep 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gohmak posted:

Episode 3 has sold me on Amos and I recant anything negative I've said about his casting. He exceeded my imagination in delivering the balls joke. Martian interrogator and captain were awesome.

The trolling scene with the martian guard was pretty hilarious, it's like when people try to make those Buckingham Palace guards laugh.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The subtitles on all of the releases so far, have had inconsistent timing.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

gohmak posted:

Episode 3 has sold me on Amos and I recant anything negative I've said about his casting. He exceeded my imagination in delivering the balls joke. Martian interrogator and captain were awesome.

That line was poached from the second book.
I just did a quick reread before watching the first four. Soo many details from the book goes out the window. But those a minor, and the show isn't worse for wear for it.
And holy sweet hell does the Rocicante look baddass

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole space duel scene was sort of underwhelming and confusing.

Wasn't too crazy about the infantry fight on the battleship either, almost looked like something out of space balls with the soldiers just lining the hallways.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

etalian posted:

The whole space duel scene was sort of underwhelming and confusing.

Wasn't too crazy about the infantry fight on the battleship either, almost looked like something out of space balls with the soldiers just lining the hallways.

I'm inclined to agree. Why do they just have a zillion guys in the hangar ineffectually shooting an apparently bulletproof ship? It wasn't very exciting, and the run across the gangway to the ship felt clumsy and overlong. Also, the ship that ends up being their equivalent of Serenity got basically no buildup or introduction, you just see this thing and they run at it.

Also, maybe it was just me, but the space scenes were very dark, I couldn't really see any detail of the 'stealth' ships. Maybe that was the intent, I don't know.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's because space combat with ballistic missiles would actually be underwhelming. You think that if they go out of their way with accurate zero-G physics (as much as can be emulated on a TV budget), they'd do spectacular Michael Bay ship to ship combat?

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Kesper North posted:

I couldn't really see any detail of the 'stealth' ships. Maybe that was the intent, I don't know.

That does tend to be the intent of stealth, yeah.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

"Space is too dark!!" I love you TV/IV

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

gohmak posted:

Amos looks like Turtle. It sucks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stuart scott posted:

"Space is too dark!!" I love you TV/IV

Just the whole editing and overall VFX made it hard to track what was going on.

BSG is still pretty much the gold standard for a more old school flak guns and fighter space combat battle.

The whole final part of the set piece was pretty boring compared to the massive hangar battle bloodbath in the book.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Just the whole editing and overall VFX made it hard to track what was going on.

BSG is still pretty much the gold standard for a more old school flak guns and fighter space combat battle.

I found the space scenes very watchable in my... alternatively acquired versions but when I watched episode 2 on the Syfy site everything was mushy and grey. Maybe it's their compression or maybe the quality settings were messed up but I had it in high quality and it did not look good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The longer intro was more awesome surprised they cut it down so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUATesLdcs

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

gohmak posted:

Upon second viewing there isn't much to nitpick other than the wrench Falling away in straight orientation when they were fixing the dish and climbing with effort into the airlock when they were done. If the ship was tumbling the star field would have been rotating and the wrench would fall away in a parabolic arc. If they were not then the wrench would not have floated far.

They were under acceleration, apparently? At least I think someone explicitly said they were underway during the repair (which seems insanely hazardous)...

As for the space combat, it's not inherently true that 'realistic' space combat with super long range missile exchanges has to be underwhelming, both visually and in terms of narrative tension. Play a few rounds of Harpoon and tell me that's not tense as hell, and the exchange between a ship's CIWS and incoming missiles is pretty spectacular.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also the airlock on the shuttle was shown as being on the bottom floor of the interior shots but on the side in exterior shots. The 'gravity' from acceleration would be all sideways.

The new scenes added (and episode 2 had a lot of them) are sticking out as being kind of janky compared to the more book faithful scenes. Though perhaps reading the books is spoiling some of the breadcrumbs for later books they're tossing in.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

General Battuta posted:

They were under acceleration, apparently? At least I think someone explicitly said they were underway during the repair (which seems insanely hazardous)...

As for the space combat, it's not inherently true that 'realistic' space combat with super long range missile exchanges has to be underwhelming, both visually and in terms of narrative tension. Play a few rounds of Harpoon and tell me that's not tense as hell, and the exchange between a ship's CIWS and incoming missiles is pretty spectacular.

They matched relative trajectory of the local debris field then cut power to do repairs. There was no acceleration.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

On the other hand, creepy naval intelligence guy was awesome.

He's swimming in oceans on Mars now :gbsmith:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CowboyKid posted:

Amos looks like Turtle. It sucks.
Sperg some more about it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He looks like Stephen Amell had a jaw upgrade

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

I liked how he was popping drugs during the interrogation.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Y'all talking about Amos looking like Turtle but for some reason Holden looks like a studlier Kit Harington to me.

I just finished binging on the three eps and now I'm legitimately sad that it'll be January before there's new episodes. This is some of the best hard sci-fi I've seen in a long while.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah that one surprised me in the end. Definitely thought he'd last longer. Same with that guy who played Tom Green's brother in every early 2000's comedy

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

gohmak posted:

They matched relative trajectory of the local debris field then cut power to do repairs. There was no acceleration.

You sure? Why did the wrench 'drop', then?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Strategic Tea posted:

He reminded me a lot of the Graverobber from Repo: The Genetic Opera.

I don't think the pills he was popping were in the book, but I assume they were improving recall, or the ability to read human microexpressions, or something.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Kesper North posted:

He reminded me a lot of the Graverobber from Repo: The Genetic Opera.

I don't think the pills he was popping were in the book, but I assume they were improving recall, or the ability to read human microexpressions, or something.

Just checked, and they're in the book. 'Little white lozenges.' It was funny in this though because it looked like they have NZT in the future.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I haven't read the books and I'm really liking this so far. It does seem like the pacing's a bit slow, though- going by the teaser, I expected Holden to send the distress call out right at the beginning of E2, but then everything just... calmed down a lot while they fixed the dish. I read a few comments in this thread and apparently in the books that doesn't happen? E2 had good character moments but I think it sacrificed waaaay too much energy to be worth it, and I don't know why they'd be padding things out if there are five books, doubly so when it's the second episode.

Also, Shed (the medic) had become my favorite, he had fantastic interactions with everyone else :ohdear:

Cheston fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 17, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Cheston posted:

I haven't read the books and I'm really liking this so far. It does seem like the pacing's a bit slow, though- going by the teaser, I expected Holden to send the distress call out right at the beginning of E2, but then everything just... calmed down a lot while they fixed the dish. I read a few comments in this thread and apparently in the books that doesn't happen? E2 had good character moments but I think it sacrificed waaaay too much energy to be worth it, and I don't know why they'd be padding things out if there are five books, doubly so when it's the second episode.

Also, Shed (the medic) had become my favorite, he had fantastic interactions with everyone else :ohdear:

:psyboom:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Cold War parallel they have going on is pretty interesting considering Mars (the Soviet Union) is initially setup as hostile (as expected), but by the 4th episode they already have become rather sympathetic. I guess they needed to initially paint them a bit darker, in order for the audience to able to turn around on them.

Btw, "Soviet" in Russian more or less means "council" or more broadly "congress", and the Mars terraforming project is more or less a giant state infrastructure project. (Also, the reddish orange color scheme helps.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 17, 2015

Woden
May 6, 2006

Cheston posted:

Thought the same, after the first episode I had no idea why goons were gushing so hard. Episodes 3 and 4 really pick up the pace though and have me hooked.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Episode 2 seemed to basically be setting up how this series is going to view space travel - it kind of sucks, there's danger at every turn, oxygen is limited - which might be a good thing because even I wonder if the 'hard' sci-fi aspect of the show might alienate viewers who go into the show thinking it's more of a conventional series.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I like how they've portrayed Mars so far. In the books they obviously had a lot more time to flesh them out but I thought the show has done a pretty good job getting the point across so far in the limited time they've had. I'm really looking forward to seeing some Earth Ships too.

In the books the Martian navy is much smaller but they're technically superior to the Earth who has numbers but generally very dated technology. I know it's probably a couple seasons away but the giant space battle the two navy's have over Ganymede in Caliban's War is going to be loving awesome. This show better not get cancelled. There's so much material left.

I'm really loving their portrayal of Ceres station and Miller's storyline too. They're getting the gritty, slum like feel down perfect.

edit: The guy who plays Alex is a pretty bad actor but the show is good enough I can forgive that.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 17, 2015

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
I'm on my phone, but can someone take a screenshot of the Condition Zero warning that shows up in ep 4?

It wasn't on screen for long but it looked like a fun nod to the auto-destruct in Alien.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Wow, nice catch on that one.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
loving hell, Sci-Fi Channel - you're back! :suspense:

Have you been working out? You're looking goo-

:catholic: posted:

But my Books!

:eng101: posted:

But my Physics!

This is going to be the most insufferable thread, isn't it. Can't we all just appreciate this holiday blessing? :sassargh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best post of the thread.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This show has been great for the 4 episodes ive seen so far.

Hard sci Fi is a rare beautiful treat, and this is a fantastic example of it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The Cold War parallel they have going on is pretty interesting considering Mars (the Soviet Union) is initially setup as hostile (as expected), but by the 4th episode they already have become rather sympathetic. I guess they needed to initially paint them a bit darker, in order for the audience to able to turn around on them.

Btw, "Soviet" in Russian more or less means "council" or more broadly "congress", and the Mars terraforming project is more or less a giant state infrastructure project. (Also, the reddish orange color scheme helps.)

They haven't really had time to show it so far, but the state of Earth will probably surprise non book readers. (spoilers if you want to go in blind I guess?)What the Martian guy said about handouts is basically bang on. The population is through the roof, while technology plus the space boom slashed the number of jobs in half. Like half of Earth's population get free state food and internet, but have next to no chance of getting ~~~A Job. And that's not in the sense of a social safety net; most people on Basic will never have the privilege of being employed, ever.

If Mars is a giant state infrastructure project, Earth is a giant state humanitarian mission.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

They haven't really had time to show it so far, but the state of Earth will probably surprise non book readers. (spoilers if you want to go in blind I guess?)What the Martian guy said about handouts is basically bang on. The population is through the roof, while technology plus the space boom slashed the number of jobs in half. Like half of Earth's population get free state food and internet, but have next to no chance of getting ~~~A Job. And that's not in the sense of a social safety net; most people on Basic will never have the privilege of being employed, ever.

If Mars is a giant state infrastructure project, Earth is a giant state humanitarian mission.

I can't wait for the flashback episodes delving into the characters dark pasts alluded to by the Martian interrogator. Or the Solomen Epsteins story.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

gohmak posted:

I can't wait for the flashback episodes delving into the characters dark pasts alluded to by the Martian interrogator. Or the Solomen Epsteins story.

Considering we don't really learn about any of their back stories until book 5 you might be waiting awhile.

The Epstein story is pretty cool though. Some backyard scientist invents the first fusion rocket engine and blasts off to the stars never to be seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

johnsonrod posted:

Considering we don't really learn about any of their back stories until book 5 you might be waiting awhile.

The Epstein story is pretty cool though. Some backyard scientist invents the first fusion rocket engine and blasts off to the stars never to be seen again.

Drive novella is free on SyFy page
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 17, 2015

• Locked thread