Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

double riveting posted:

Thanks, that's what I came here for. See you next update, I think.

Next update is going to be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Valatar posted:

:words: You aren't actually moving 800c in supercruise, if you were the screen should be all hosed up from only being able to see a blob of light directly ahead, weird color-shifted poo poo from the sides and nothing whatsoever from the rear. The fact that your view isn't at all distorted at that speed and the fact that they're calling it a frame shift drive leads me to conclude that ships are moving at that speed by micro-jumping several times a second or some other Star Trek hand-wavey FTL method. In which case, anything jettisoned from your ship would just be left drifting behind it at whatever real-world speed the ship is moving. :words:

I thought the idea was that a frame shift drive isn't shifting you around your frame of reference (space, or the centre of the universe I suppose), it's shifting the frame of reference around while you remain stationary, letting you violate the speed limit.

How that works or makes any goddamn sense is beyond me, of course, but the idea that it's easier to move all of creation instead of your ship is amusing to me. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also thanks for the advice on fitting out my Eagle. I think what I'll do is get enough dosh together for a Cobra Mk III, since that seems to be a generalist ship (???), and work out what I like to do from there. Try a bit of mining, smuggling, combat, exploring, whole nine yards, since refitting is effectively free.

Driving that SRV on low-G planets is fun as heck though. I was on one this morning at 0.8 doing absurd flips and poo poo and just having a gay old time. :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Isn't the drive system in Elite basically an Alcubierre drive?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Can't afford to get Horizons yet till later this month, but I've been enjoying myself running around in a Keelback anyway. Hadn't tried mining since pre Powerplay and that side plays like a whole different game. I think my last round of turnins from exploration added up to something like 500-600k an hour and that shocked the hell out of me. Still waiting for them to fix the broken tuning of discovered vs. scanned objects, but that's a pipe dream. 64-bit client works fine for me.

Asteroid rings are very very pretty. Buying exploration data is still laggy as hell after the patch, though. :(

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I'm in 63, where can I grab a drat SRV? Usual port doesn't have them for sale. Do I need to try the planets?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You need to buy a Planetary Vehicle Hangar module, then you can add a Vehicle Bay from the Restock menu and that'll come with the SRV.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Doing Fed Navy missions, but I'm not getting anything towards rank progress.

Display bug, full on bug, or am I doing something wrong?

If it matters, I just did two high paying smuggling missions. Maybe it's combat stuff only?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

Doing Fed Navy missions, but I'm not getting anything towards rank progress.

Display bug, full on bug, or am I doing something wrong?

If it matters, I just did two high paying smuggling missions. Maybe it's combat stuff only?

Display bug.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cool thanks. Good to know.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Thank god for this progression bar and percentage thing for rank ups. Did 1.5 bring any big changes to the PvE bounty blasting toy box?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I am so lost when it comes to SRV poo poo. Holy hell. This is kinda fun.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
It's so very typical that Frontier added the rank progress bars without testing that they actually work above 0%.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Finally got horizons working - my fault for not having updated my nvidia drivers for a couple of years.

Something strange is happening in game though, my usual place of hangout is the res in frigaha, I've been there multiple times to make a bit of money, used an advanced discovery scanner there but when I went there earlier everything was showing as unexplored. Went back again with my asp with an ads and discovered lots of new things. Returned again with my python and everything was unexplored once again.

Don't know why but just landing on something, going out in a buggy and driving around aimlessly looking for pretty screenshot opportunities is really enjoyable for me. When I managed to land and not leave a 700k credit crater with my asp like my first attempt!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So what can you do on these planets? Quit the vanilla game pretty early cause there wasn't enough to do and looking to hear if it's worth coming back for Horizons or if it's still kinda bland and empty.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Dongattack posted:

So what can you do on these planets? Quit the vanilla game pretty early cause there wasn't enough to do and looking to hear if it's worth coming back for Horizons or if it's still kinda bland and empty.

It's more of the same, if that excites you buy it; if not then don't.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's more of the same, if that excites you buy it; if not then don't.

Errr, what is "more of the same"? Do you mean that everything you can do in space in vanilla you can also do on the planets and that's all?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think I chose a perfect time for my vacation to Tenerife. I am coming home tomorrow and everything is ready! Tenerife was boring as gently caress right now

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Dongattack posted:

Errr, what is "more of the same"? Do you mean that everything you can do in space in vanilla you can also do on the planets and that's all?

Horizons as of right now makes the game two miles wide and still one inch deep. If you didn't like Elite before, you're still not going like Elite now, unless the thought of going to random places and shooting stuff on moons in a buggy is more appealing to you than doing the same kind of thing in a spaceship.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hm hm, i'll watch some streams and youtubes i guess and wait for a sale/more development. Cheers!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

To be fair, doing sick flips and poo poo in a rocket-powered buggy on a 0.8G world is :c00l: as heck.

I think I'll enjoy the game more in brief now-and-then spurts, personally. Like rather than going on tilt playing Heroes of the Storm or whatever, just duck into Elite for a while between rounds to calm down (barring the odd interdiction or something, anyway).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I landed at Watts Settlement and decided to have a drive around, looking for the things I hear you can data link to. Found nothing but lost my ship and eventually my SRV blew up from abuse. Couldn't steer for poo poo, spent most of the time confused and the latter half of the time angry. Thinking I'll just stay in space from now on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dongattack posted:

That's his gimmick.

Horizons is similar to vanilla in that there is not a lot of depth, there is a bunch of straight up weird design choices (more so in Horizons) and the flying and SRV driving is refined and really cool. On Horizons weirdness:

The srv, the little space car. It runs on gunpowder (specifically, sulfur and phosphorus) and you can't buy this fuel (although you get free fuel refills at every station you dock with but you only get enough to fill up all the srvs you are carrying, it is impossible to buy more and store it), you have to make it in-field with materials you find on planet surfaces which come in little rock outcroppings that will spawn 2-4 materials in each one, and you must shoot these pinatas with the ballistic weapon on your srv. The srv does not come with lasers. You can also not tell what is in these outcroppings until you shoot them open. You have to collect them with your SRV one at a time as you can not collect the pieces unless you have them targeted. Docking with your ship does not replenish your fuel in your srv. However docking with your ship does automatically repair any hull damage that your srv has suffered (which seems weird to me and it should be the other way around, free fuel in the sense that the srv runs on hydrogen like everything else in the Elite universe and you leech off your ship and wow this was how Braben originally described how the srv would work when they first introduced it). Don't worry though, because if you die in your srv you just spawn in your ship above the body your srv exploded on, with all the materials you've gathered. No downside, but you are out the 1100 credits the SRV costs.

If that sort of thing bothers you then I'd wait for Horizons to go on sale, or wait till they introduce Multi-crew or crafting or something else that might be cool. Horizons, much like vanilla Elite, is so good in vital areas and just falls right on its dumb badly-designed face in others and the juxtaposition is jarring.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

That's his gimmick.

Horizons is similar to vanilla in that there is not a lot of depth, there is a bunch of straight up weird design choices (more so in Horizons) and the flying and SRV driving is refined and really cool. On Horizons weirdness:

The srv, the little space car. It runs on gunpowder (specifically, sulfur and phosphorus) and you can't buy this fuel (although you get free fuel refills at every station you dock with but you only get enough to fill up all the srvs you are carrying, it is impossible to buy more and store it), you have to make it in-field with materials you find on planet surfaces which come in little rock outcroppings that will spawn 2-4 materials in each one, and you must shoot these pinatas with the ballistic weapon on your srv. The srv does not come with lasers. You can also not tell what is in these outcroppings until you shoot them open. You have to collect them with your SRV one at a time as you can not collect the pieces unless you have them targeted. Docking with your ship does not replenish your fuel in your srv. However docking with your ship does automatically repair any hull damage that your srv has suffered (which seems weird to me and it should be the other way around, free fuel in the sense that the srv runs on hydrogen like everything else in the Elite universe and you leech off your ship and wow this was how Braben originally described how the srv would work when they first introduced it). Don't worry though, because if you die in your srv you just spawn in your ship above the body your srv exploded on, with all the materials you've gathered. No downside, but you are out the 1100 credits the SRV costs.

If that sort of thing bothers you then I'd wait for Horizons to go on sale, or wait till they introduce Multi-crew or crafting or something else that might be cool. Horizons, much like vanilla Elite, is so good in vital areas and just falls right on its dumb badly-designed face in others and the juxtaposition is jarring.

How the hell is saying: "the game's pretty much the same except with dune buggies now" a gimmick?

The game's still Elite, Horizons didn't add any depth or story which I think most people are looking for. Why lead them on?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 17, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who's playing Elite for the story?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

How the hell is saying: "the game's pretty much the same except with dune buggies now" a gimmick?

The game's still Elite, Horizons didn't add any depth or story which I think most people are looking for. Why lead them on?

:nallears:

I answered his question, you Nostalgia'd it up.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Just read the devs have confirmed that you can't land on the moon. It's slated to be a handcrafted planet in the works. I guess I'll hold off on Horizons for a bit :p

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

KakerMix posted:

:nallears:

I answered his question, you Nostalgia'd it up.
No, his gimmick is to be brutally honest about the state of the game and to troll goons who are being hyperbolic morons. Which isn't really a gimmick.

I agree with you about lots of stuff with the game but N4I has always been a good indicator (since as far back as the beta) of how people actually feel about the game as opposed to the goons who seem to be unable to acknowledge that it has serious problems or think that any change means the sky is falling (which is normally who he's responding to). I know you don't really fall into that category but let's not pretend Horizons added any earth-shattering depth to the game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh well, based on some of the verdicts I've read I'm a little disappointed but it was not unexpected; deleted local content. Unplugged the HOTAS and will find somewhere out of the way to put it for the time being.

I'll check in again in a few months or next "season". Assuming they keep to the same pricing structure it's probably better to wait till a few expansions are out before buying the same game again anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, even if you absolutely must play each season it still makes more sense to wait for a sale at this point.

There's a lot of new stuff in Horizons, just not a lot of new gameplay.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
So if you don't own Horizons you get this? (Planetary module).

Why must you taunt me game?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, even if you absolutely must play each season it still makes more sense to wait for a sale at this point.

There's a lot of new stuff in Horizons, just not a lot of new gameplay.

I put a few dozen hours into the game at launch and never really did much. I loved it, but the expansion looks like it wont get me anything where I'm at. I've been having the space bug and will probably hook my stuff up and just play E:D while waiting on a sale. The planet stuff looks cool but not something I'm really interested in. New ships I am interested in though so I'll keep it on my radar.

If I had been following the game the pre-order paint jobs probably would have gotten me though because I'm a sucker for that stuff and thought about buying skins around launch.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Who's playing Elite for the story?

I could imagine someone playing for the lore, but no-one plays these kinds of games for lore and the ongoing story-line alone. I can't imagine the kind of mad creature who would.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Real talk:

I obviously like this games. Warts and all. I freely admit there is a lot of room for improvement (like a lot) and I actually agree with a lot of the criticism. I guess my major point of difference is that I don't see much point about rehashing it and trying to make Elite into something that it will probably never really be. I've concluded that the game is fun to me in the same way that Microsoft Flight Simulator X is to my dad. My old man is probably sitting in front of his computer right now with his dog on his lap (picture of said dog as a palate cleanser for this wall of text: http://i.imgur.com/MvdqWEQh.jpg -- her name Lady and she's the best dog); a Western on the TV; and a mug of hot cocoa flying a 747 from Detroit to Seattle in real time. He does this because he always wanted to be a pilot when he was a kid but couldn't because his eyesight is bad so he's living out this fantasy in his retirement. It's fun for him and I understand it; I also wouldn't recommend FSX to my Call of Duty loving nephew.

I think the fantasy is a huge part of the enjoyment of Elite: Dangerous. You do things because they're there and the experience is intrinsically valuable to you not because of some game mechanic or plot sent you there. Those things exist of course but they're simple window dressing on the "holy poo poo I'm flying a spaceship to Arcturus, this is so cool" experience. This doesn't discount criticism of the game, again I have some pretty severe criticisms, but at what point do folks need to realize that maybe Elite is never going to meet their expectations? Look at Dark Souls. Would Dark Souls 3 be better if it had less janky controls, had difficulty settings, and was a little less opaque with its mechanics? I think so but I'm sure there are people out there would disagree. Does this mean From Software needs to cater to my expectations? It would be great if they did and they may reach a point where they have to but if DS3 is a fancier looking DS2 with the similar base mechanics should I buy it? Probably not. Should I post in the thread loudly wondering why the game sucks? I guess I could, but what's the point?

That's what I mean by if you liked 1.x you'll like 2.x because while there's more to do, the game is still really the same. This could change but I don't think it will. I think Elite Dangerous will continue to be the same sort of game but with more stuff to do. I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong since I would love for more people to enjoy this game like I do, but I'm being realistic.

I guess I could have not posted a blunt reply to people's questions but I've already put way more effort into this post which will almost certainly be quoted by someone with a ":nallears:" (seriously though at least click the link for the dog picture, she's really the best -- here's another one: http://i.imgur.com/Yjmoss1h.jpg. Can you believe she's a rescue dog?) and well... :effort:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nice doge :3: I had a german shepherd named Lady for my entire childhood, that brings back good memories.

I haven't played long, probably totaling six or so hours counting pre-Horizons, but your post does drive home what this game feels like to me, and why despite the shortcomings I do still like it: it's Flight Simulator in Space with Lasers. I'm a pretty goals-oriented, theme-parks-instead-of-sandboxes kind of guy when it comes to games, but once in a while I like relaxing and focusing on relatively nothing while a stream or something plays on the TV, and I love space, so this game fits both those needs quite well.

Even if I'm dumb as a post and flailing in the dark at it. :v:

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Dark Souls analogy

I wish Dark Souls 2 was more Dark Souls 1, which is maybe why I loved the little bit of Horizons that I played during beta. Cresting over a crater-ridge while a distant star breaks on the horizon is fun. Simple as that.

Also...Frontier added the ability to land on planets (!). A decent achievement? Maybe smuggling still isn't viable because of the BS police scans but now you can be a fuel-rat to an NPC!

Bookmarked locations would be nice, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Heck, my main motivation for getting Horizons in the first place is because spaceships look cool and spaceships on planets look the coolest.

It's definitely a game where the experience is the most valuable aspect of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

After playing a bit of Horizons though I am mad jonesin for atmospheric reentry. :getin:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just a heads up, the Black Friday Iggle looks loving dope as all gently caress.

Album here

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Heck, my main motivation for getting Horizons in the first place is because spaceships look cool and spaceships on planets look the coolest.

It's definitely a game where the experience is the most valuable aspect of it.

I just want to buy expensive joysticks and fly a space ship around. If being a space trucker was a real profession I'd probably quit IT and just fly around in space listening to audio books.

• Locked thread