Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

Shame that the castle is the best for it because for me it's already maxed out on the amount of things you can build (and I barely built anything yet!) So I really can't afford to build additional desalination plants.

That build meter is such a bummer. I've scrapped all trees and decorations, anything that doesn't serve a purpose - and it gave me only a tiniest sliver of the meter back. What the hell maxed it out so hard? I bet it's something stupid like copper wiring that was already inside the corridors.

Size is pretty obviously code for 'safe memory budget', so I think there's just a permanent chunk taken up on the meter by the environment itself. Using Scrapall in Sanctuary has about 20% on the Size meter there permanently, but the smaller settlements have less than 5%. The Castle is a pretty massive and complex settlement so even stripped down, it still takes up a lot of processing power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Based on the names for the console commands to change the limit, I'm pretty sure the build meter is based on the number of triangles being drawn, so it makes sense the model of the castle would take up more space than other settlements.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hmm that explains why the gigantic concrete cubes actually consume very little size. I guess I'll build my fantasy fortress out of primitives then.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also you can "edit" the build limit by storing weapons in the workshop, taking them out, dropping them then storing them in workshop view. But if you blow it up enough that your console/PC explodes, that's going to be on you.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Atom Cats should be able to help build the teleporter imo

Oh god, this is the best idea I've heard yet. Just make the Atom Cats a chooseable faction.

Instead of blowing up the Institute, you steal all their equipment to build more power armor with racing stripes and flames, and build giant laser cannons to chisel 'ATOM CATS RULE' into the surface of the moon.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Atom Cats are really good, and it's a shame you can't do more with them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Backhand posted:

Oh god, this is the best idea I've heard yet. Just make the Atom Cats a chooseable faction.

Instead of blowing up the Institute, you steal all their equipment to build more power armor with racing stripes and flames, and build giant laser cannons to chisel 'ATOM CATS RULE' into the surface of the moon.

The first dlc should be about the great Tunnel Snake/Atom Cat war of 2288 or whatever year it is now.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

There's 3 levels of every armor. The base level, Sturdy and Heavy. Modifications and Legendary status override the upper level modifiers when it comes to names, so you wont know unless you check the resistances/weight/looks.

The light synth arms are just the bracers so you wont see anything on the arm with the Pipboy.

God I can't wait for a total remodeling of this lovely set of gear. Way to drop the goddamn ball, Bethesda.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is irrationally annoying me that I'm coming across cool new locations and quests on my alt character with stuff I can't get or read because I have nothing in lockpicking or hacking. The character's just so I can see the BoS questline since I locked myself out by mistake but I probably won't load my main character again until I've finished.

Also I'm building the signal interceptor at Boston Airport and the vertibird signal grenades were invaluable. I'd have to make several trips to ferry the junk over without them; instead I popped one down in the middle of Sanctuary and took a roadtrip. Much more useful than the artillery flares I never got to work outside the quest you get them, no matter where I was near settlements with them installed and manned.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Zodium posted:

Suppressed .50 sniper with some kind of relevant legendary effect (like any of the damage ones, or optimally Instigating) is pretty much night and day for a stealth build compared to no suppressor. Range still matters out of VATS, but a .50 sniper has ungodly range anyway. I love running around taking out panicking camps of enemies at night as much in FO4 as I did in FONV.

Although it's worth carrying a light non-suppressed sniper to draw enemies out, too.

I found a two shot sniper that I put a silencer on and suddenly it's great indoors again

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Magmarashi posted:

God I can't wait for a total remodeling of this lovely set of gear. Way to drop the goddamn ball, Bethesda.

I don't think not appeasing one sperg on the internet constitutes "dropping the ball".

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Yup, every water you produce in excess of your population count will go into your bench. Putting down a gazillion in Sanctuary or other water-heavy zones = $$$$$$$

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have probably 50 excess water at Sanctuary and it's not linked to anything. I've been playing for about a week or so and haven't had a deposit of water. I'll wait/sleep in game for an entire day and there's nothing. I do a bunch of fast-travelling so time is passing but still, when I check the workbench, there's no water. Is it because I have 8 people and 60 water? Is that not enough water? How thirsty are these guys?

EDIT:VVVVVVVVV
Yeah, it never gets there in the first place. So, if it DOES eventually show up, I should remove it? Like, it won't stack on itself on it's own?

BambooEarpick fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 16, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BambooEarpick posted:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have probably 50 excess water at Sanctuary and it's not linked to anything. I've been playing for about a week or so and haven't had a deposit of water. I'll wait/sleep in game for an entire day and there's nothing. I do a bunch of fast-travelling so time is passing but still, when I check the workbench, there's no water. Is it because I have 8 people and 60 water? Is that not enough water? How thirsty are these guys?

Take the excess water out of the station and put it in a footlocker then come back later and do it again. It caps out.

e: Oh wait you mean 50 excess of the water resource my bad

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Institute armor does look incredibly stupid and impractical when compared to the new leather and combat armor variants. Even with Synths, that's just the dumbest looking thing ever that's full of so many holes for something to damage. It doesn't even look like it protects sensitive joints so much as give some stupid aesthetic look which I guess fits with every other half-assed Cerberus like Institute idea.

Still it would be nice to see a return of the Stealth Suits and with updated looks for a good high-tec armor set.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

The Institute armor does look incredibly stupid and impractical when compared to the new leather and combat armor variants. Even with Synths, that's just the dumbest looking thing ever that's full of so many holes for something to damage. It doesn't even look like it protects sensitive joints so much as give some stupid aesthetic look which I guess fits with every other half-assed Cerberus like Institute idea.

Still it would be nice to see a return of the Stealth Suits and with updated looks for a good high-tec armor set.

Wondering why combat-model synths would need armor at all, really. Why not just build them that way?

Backhand posted:

Pretty much my #1 most wanted mod at the moment.

Rehabilitate all the synths through bad poetry.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I think the intention is that you're actually stripping the armor plates off of combat synths instead of them having to wear them

And then when you wear it it makes no sense where it goes and I'd like to believe non-metal synths are wearing them backwards or something

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Who says Travis lacks confidence?

I was helping him in the bar fight in my power armour. I accidentally landed a hit on him. Knocking him into the bar counter and down on the floor. He instantly pulled out a rifle and started shooting at me. After a few seconds he disengaged from me (probably because I had no weapon out) and then he shot the other two guys we were fighting and they both fell to the ground and so Travis "won" the fight.

Travis is ice cold.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I honestly wouldn't mind it so much if a) it wasn't a late-game armor tier without the stats of late-game armor, and b) it clashes jarringly with any armor type you try to mix it with.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Deified Data posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind it so much if a) it wasn't a late-game armor tier without the stats of late-game armor, and b) it clashes jarringly with any armor type you try to mix it with.

Regardless of stats, institute armor is simply too ugly to wear. I get that they wanted to make all the armors distinct from each other, but the institute armor looks bafflingly bad and nonsensical.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Deified Data posted:

Wondering why combat-model synths would need armor at all, really. Why not just build them that way?

Economies of scale. Base chassis for all synths are the same to spread out the cost of design, tooling and production. Then they can add or change modules as they see fit for synths with different roles.

It also makes repairs easier.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

I don't think not appeasing one sperg on the internet constitutes "dropping the ball".

The Synth set is the dumbest looking gear in the entire game and it could have been so, so much more.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Institute armor looks like it's made from PVC tubing and washroom accessories. It's bad. Heavy combat armor isn't all that good either. Makes you look like a plus sized model wrapped in a furnace.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can someone repost the trick to spawn a circuit breaker or whatever for silent 100 power?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think the intention is that you're actually stripping the armor plates off of combat synths instead of them having to wear them

And then when you wear it it makes no sense where it goes and I'd like to believe non-metal synths are wearing them backwards or something

That would be interesting but you see synths in the institute wearing full synth armor gear when you go kill them all.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

jump, open console

player.placeatme cff77

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

jump, open console

player.placeatme cff77

And whatever you do don't try that placeatme while IN workshop building mode, at best it'll break the workshop controls, at worst you won't be able to move again until you restart Fallout

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

How do I move it?

Edit: Oh, there we go. Workshop wouldnt acknowledge it until I connected it and powered it on.

Thanks everyone!

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 16, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

a worthy uhh posted:

How do I move it?

You need to attach something to it, then it magically becomes interactable. So just build a power conduit or something, run a wire from the conduit to the box, then the box becomes "real"

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So, I sorta figured out my problem with supplies but not at all.

When I'm in Sanctuary, it says I have 8 people. I have like 20 food and 60 water and 87 defense and they are about 80 happy. When I leave Sanctuary and check it on my pipboy the game say I have 16 people, no food, water, or defenses and everyone starts to become less happy.

How do I get the get to recognize the fact that I have food, water, and half as many people actually at my settlement?

I think this is why I haven't been getting water while I've been playing. The game thinks I have 0 water when I'm not there.

PS4 so I can't console command whatever errors away (or just give myself money to not think about it)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BambooEarpick posted:

So, I sorta figured out my problem with supplies but not at all.

When I'm in Sanctuary, it says I have 8 people. I have like 20 food and 60 water and 87 defense and they are about 80 happy. When I leave Sanctuary and check it on my pipboy the game say I have 16 people, no food, water, or defenses and everyone starts to become less happy.

How do I get the get to recognize the fact that I have food, water, and half as many people actually at my settlement?

I think this is why I haven't been getting water while I've been playing. The game thinks I have 0 water when I'm not there.

PS4 so I can't console command whatever errors away (or just give myself money to not think about it)

Delete all the pre-built tvs and jukeboxes, for some reason they cause that bug.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Delete all the pre-built tvs and jukeboxes, for some reason they cause that bug.

ugh really?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

rocketrobot posted:

ugh really?

Bethesda!

e: Thinking about it, can you actually watch anything on the TV's?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mega64 posted:

Bethesda!

e: Thinking about it, can you actually watch anything on the TV's?

No, it's a static "please stand by" image. It raises happiness anyway. :haw:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RBA Starblade posted:

and then causes a tantrum spiral that results in you losing all your settlers

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

you'd think they'd show stills of RALPHIE or Captain Cosmos

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Should be able to find some tv show holotapes you could put in at your settlements/one of the sundry broadcast centers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I was hoping they'd at least air the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. videos.

I hope some of the mods let you add your own videos for them.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

and then causes a tantrum spiral that results in you losing all your settlers

This is Fallout, not Dwarf Fortress.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

I was hoping they'd at least air the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. videos.

I hope some of the mods let you add your own videos for them.

This would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

...wat.

I heard about the TV and jukebox thing but I didn't realize that even the ones you DIDN'T build were a part of that glitch. Thanks for the heads up.
Man, this game has some weird glitches.

I guess my biggest complaints on glitches would be in this order:

1. Being able to clip through a doorway somehow but not come back out. Like, there's some rubble in the room and I thought I'd go check to see if there was a container but nope. Just an empty spot. And now I can't make it out of the door even though when I'm crouching it looks like I have plenty of clearance on all sides. Spend 10 minutes trying to get out before having to reload a different save.

2. Seemingly randomly unrelated glitches like TVs affecting your settlement. Just really weird random stuff. Sometimes I will suddenly be able to pickpocket an invisible super mutant in a field of nothing and then he aggros if I do except he's way clear across the map but for a moment I could interact with him like he was next to me. Super weird and random. Or killing a Legendary just to have it not have a legendary item on it. C'mon! Ugh.

3. I never use companions because they always manage to blow my sneak and block off my exit. At least I can fix this one by just never taking anyone with me. I feel like I miss out on dialogue this way but hot having people go randomly charging into groups of enemies as I try to slink away to attack again is nice. But seriously, it's like Bethesda programmed the AI to be in your way as much as possible. Hey, you aiming at a Raider? Lemme pop up into your scope to look at you. *BANG* "Oh, I think we're not alone!"

• Locked thread