Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Going to get Summoner and White Mage up to 50 first. I'll wing it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For those of you that auto-battle your way through the orbfest dungeons, what RMs do you use? I'm using Auto-berserk, Blue Moon Barrage, Gore-Stained Blade II, and Dragoon's Determination on my level broken party members to start.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
If you're concerned about damage, Holy Blade and Innate Healing are good, also. Haste RMs are also very effective.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like leveling characters with one babysitter and one weak character. For the beginning of Orbfest that's going to be Strago helping Reno, and then Reno himself will take over leveling some other peeps. Once Vale of Memories hits I'll prioritize Rinoa's MC2 so she can become the permanent babysitter. Possibly will grind up Krile during the final phases as well to be another good mage, depends on how it all works out. I'm just excited to have someone else to use my Ice Whip.

EDIT: Auto-Berserk RMs aren't that great for autobattling, since when Berserk wears off your ATB gets reset, which usually ends up in someone who's ready to attack suddenly having to charge up their turn from the beginning. I've sworn off them.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
The next splatfest: Meteor vs Flare.

I think Meteor is overrated as well, though to be fair, it was the first 5* most people could craft and this was months before Ruinga, so I can see how it would be tempting.

Still, I don't regret going with Flare. It's a good nearly-guaranteed 9999 filler attack for bosses which can be great for getting some attacks in before everyone's properly buffed. Granted, the stronger mages with Devotion can often hit for 9999 with Waterga as well, but that's not always the case, and it'll be the case less often as time goes on. It was also the first 5* I was able to hone.

The way I see it, AOE is primarily for trash, while single-target is for bosses, and since bosses need the heavy artillery, Flare with its higher base damage wins out.

I'll probably get Meteor soon though... It's the only other black magic, honing the 5*s to rank 3 seems very inefficient at this point in time, and I can see it being useful against the occasional rear end-gently caress multiboss fight. (The Knight, Fujin, & Raijin, hellloooo)

Now, what I'm really wondering about... what's the deal with Entrust? Why is it? Is it a joke spell? Maybe Dena intended SBs to come into play a ton more often when it was added...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alxprit posted:

EDIT: Auto-Berserk RMs aren't that great for autobattling, since when Berserk wears off your ATB gets reset, which usually ends up in someone who's ready to attack suddenly having to charge up their turn from the beginning. I've sworn off them.

I've found that I only have that problem when running auto-battle speed five, since the "timer" will tick when collecting dropped items. If it still shows up at four I lower it to three. The damage and speed increase you get from the berserk status is well worth it, imo.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

IcePhoenix posted:

For those of you that auto-battle your way through the orbfest dungeons, what RMs do you use? I'm using Auto-berserk, Blue Moon Barrage, Gore-Stained Blade II, and Dragoon's Determination on my level broken party members to start.

Isn't Zealot pretty useful for clearing everything?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ETB posted:

No Mog either. :smith:

What's everyone's team to start Orbfest? Mine is Sephiroth (to 65), Cid, Reno, Amarant, and Garnet.

I'll get Reno high enough to survive the bonus battles, and then my team throughout OrbFest will use the same setup with rotating characters:

- 1x Core to get to 50 for useful RM1 (only a few of these left);
- 1x Non-core to get to 50 for RM1 (maybe ten of these left);
- 3x Non-core to get to 63~ for RM2 (Seph, Tidus, PCecil, Rinoa, and Tyro are all already there, so it'll be whoever's next on that list linked earlier).

I'll probably stop leveling the future RM2 characters at 63 so that they're not XP-sinks for any dungeon/event battles I need them for, and then Sunday XP them to 65 when the MC2 event happens.

Should have more characters above 60 than below it by the end of the event I think, that'll be nice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Isn't Zealot pretty useful for clearing everything?

Reduces damage by too much in the higher level dungeons, I'd rather oneshot something to reduce the odds of it getting an attack off. If I could put it on a heavy hitter with a synergy weapon it'd be good but the orbfest dungeons don't have synergy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SuperHappy posted:

I'll probably get Meteor soon though... It's the only other black magic, honing the 5*s to rank 3 seems very inefficient at this point in time, and I can see it being useful against the occasional rear end-gently caress multiboss fight. (The Knight, Fujin, & Raijin, hellloooo)

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd rather oneshot something to reduce the odds of it getting an attack off.

This is the problem with Meteor on multi-part bosses, honestly; with only two exceptions (Baigan, Purobolos, though a case could be made for the Dragon Plant too) you want to focus-fire multi-part bosses, either because you want fewer parts to hurt you (Fujin/Raijin, Lunasaurs, possibly the Pulsework Knights) or because you only need to burst down a single part to win (FF13!Anima, the Turkfest at the end of the current Sephevent). It's incredibly rare to get a boss where you need or want to wear down all of its parts equally.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

IcePhoenix posted:

An option worth considering for auto-battling heroic could be running 3-person parties with Loner and Solitude equipped on 2 meleers. Get the 40% bonus to Atk and Def, level those 3 characters faster, and then swap to a new set of 3 later. Wouldn't work for every set of 3 characters of course, but I've leveled summoners/mages/healers so drat much from Sundays and events that my proportion of level 50-55 characters is very heavily weighted towards swordsmen, monks, samurai, etc. I ran melee/melee/(any non-core character in the back row) a lot towards the end of the previous Orbfest and it worked fine.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

IcePhoenix posted:

Here's a Reddit post with chronological MC2 leveling priority, helpful for those of us who have no idea who to level during orbfest.

What this doesn't include is the quality of the MC2-unlocked Record Materia, which is also important when bothering with 50->65:

Cloud - Good (auto-SB bar)
Squall - Niche (more SB from taking damage)
Paladin Cecil - Niche (chance to self-Cure after phys. attacks)
Rinoa - Decent (+15% black magic damage)
Tidus - Good (more SB from Attack and abilities)
Tyro - Good (auto-SB bar)
Sephiroth - Good (+20% Katana damage)
Lenna - Good (Auto-Heavy Regen)
Wakka - Good (Heavy Regen at 50% HP)
Dark Cecil - Good (+20% Sword damage)
Lightning - Decent (Attack has no ATB usage time)
Red XIII - Good (recover 1 Support ability/fight)
Steiner - Decent (more SB from taking damage or using abilities)
Fran - Niche (identical to Blue Moon Barrage)
Terra - Niche (small chance to doublecast Black Magic)
Warrior of Light - Decent (+20% Holy damage)
Galuf - Good (+20% Fist damage)
Aerith - Good (+20% healing from White Magic)
Vivi - Decent (Attack becomes Ruin)
Vanille - Decent (like Garnet's Healer RM)
Hope - Decent (+20% damage to Black Magic with a Thrown weapon)
Locke - Good (+20% Dagger damage)
Bartz - Niche (small chance to doublecast Spellblades)
Gilgamesh - Decent (recover 1 Knight ability/fight)
Lulu - Decent (+20% Ice damage)
Yuna - Decent (+20% MND with a Rod)
Tifa - Good (+20% Fist damage, same as Galuf's)
Selphie - Decent (Attack becomes Dia)
Garnet - Niche (small chance to doublecast Summons)
Firion - Good (+10% ATK/DEF, auto-Regen, no downside)
Auron - Niche (small chance to doublecast Samurai abilities)
Shadow - Decent (+20% Ninja damage)
Celes - Decent (+20% Spellblade damage)
Reno - Decent (+???% physical and Black Magic damage with a Gun)
Zack - Decent? (???% chance to reduce incoming physical damage by ???%)
Vaan - Niche (small chance to doublecast Celerity)
Balthier - Niche (small chance to doublecast Machinist)
Zell - Decent (+20% Monk damage)
Rydia - Decent (+10% MAG with a Whip)
Luneth - Decent (same as Tyro/Quistis, +20% weakness damage)
Refia - Decent (+20% damage with Thrown)
Arc - Good (+10% MAG and MND with a Staff)

A lot of these assume you already have comparable/better RMs, like Devotion/Vow of Vengeance for the MAG/Black Magic ones. I also put all of the doublecast ones as niche because you're almost always better off with a constant damage boost.

Please correct me if any evaluations are super wrong, though.

pksage fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Speaking of Galuf, what's the verdict on his new (in global) RM? It sounds nice but I'm wondering if it's not some kind of trap.

Ketsuo
Jul 17, 2003
Caution to avoid damaging game info saved, hold in reset button as you turn power off.

Kaninrail posted:

Believing in the Power of Three got me Sephiroth's SSB Katana and the Turk Suit, so that worked out.

This time the power of 3 got my two of the same 3* FFV dagger I already had a ++ of and a 4* FFIV dagger I already had a ++ of.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

pksage posted:

Please correct me if any evaluations are super wrong, though.

I'm not quite sure how Lightning's RM2 is "good" considering it only works on autoattacks and saves maybe a second at BS3. If it worked on attacks and abilities, that would be something, and if it worked on SBs it would be broken as hell, but the default Attack isn't really worth thinking about in most circumstances. In contrast, Vivi's and Selphie's actually allow mages a way to contribute to battles, albeit minorly, during trash stages.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm not entirely sure how I'll go about abusing the festivities for levels but I imagine getting my main squad to 50 is a good starting point. Getting the various cores to 50 for those refresh RMs is high priority too.

Beyond that? I have no clue where I should focus my EXP efforts.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KataraniSword posted:

In contrast, Vivi's and Selphie's actually allow mages a way to contribute to battles, albeit minorly, during trash stages.

Or you can kill a round with your AoE and one enemy in another (or do massive damage to a tank) with your single target nuke and then just get them back for free at the start of the next wave.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

KataraniSword posted:

I'm not quite sure how Lightning's RM2 is "good" considering it only works on autoattacks and saves maybe a second at BS3. If it worked on attacks and abilities, that would be something, and if it worked on SBs it would be broken as hell, but the default Attack isn't really worth thinking about in most circumstances. In contrast, Vivi's and Selphie's actually allow mages a way to contribute to battles, albeit minorly, during trash stages.

It's amazing for clearing trash without taking hits, but yeah, I'll bump it down to "decent". And yeah, you'd never use the mage auto-attacks over Devotion / Mana Spring II / Vow of Vengeance / etc., and anyway why aren't you retaliating hard trash?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Because retaliate is for bitches :smuggo:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

pksage posted:

It's amazing for clearing trash without taking hits, but yeah, I'll bump it down to "decent". And yeah, you'd never use the mage auto-attacks over Devotion / Mana Spring II / Vow of Vengeance / etc., and anyway why aren't you retaliating hard trash?

If my mage gets her turn first she uses ruinga to clear trash. If she's last I focus down 1 of the trash with my 2 melee and support dude and kill the 2nd mob with my mage's single target spell.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm really regretting my three week break from this game while I look at all these uncollected stamina shards and an Orbest coming up in like 24 hours.

Ketsuo
Jul 17, 2003
Caution to avoid damaging game info saved, hold in reset button as you turn power off.

Jibo posted:

I'm really regretting my three week break from this game while I look at all these uncollected stamina shards and an Orbest coming up in like 24 hours.

2 hours.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ETB posted:

What's everyone's team to start Orbfest? Mine is Sephiroth (to 65), Cid, Reno, Amarant, and Garnet.

I guess I'll just carry on with the latest Sundaily team I had. So Squall to 65, Amarant, someone with at least summon 4, the last level for Maria, then Reno and Cid. Then maybe Firion and Refia and then it'll just be generics that aren't all 50+.

Think I'll give them a bit of a boost and then look up what MC2s give nice Materia. Red definitely, probably Gil, quite a few of the other ones I like the look of the characters are 65 already.

Garnet's might be fun after the summon buff, depending on the proc rate.

e: wait, if the difficulty is the same as the first orbfest, I might not need a summoner to make things easier

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ketsuo posted:

2 hours.

Plan is to go ham on nothing but orbfest phase 1 for the duration, do Seph/Reno bonus battles in p2 then balance between vale of memories and the other orbfest phases. I guess Faris/Krile comes out at the tail end?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Throw in a DU if you are set up for a shard refresh...

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Yeah assuming that comes out during p2 it gets handled then. If not, it waits until those sweet, sweet orbfests are over.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

This is the problem with Meteor on multi-part bosses, honestly; with only two exceptions (Baigan, Purobolos, though a case could be made for the Dragon Plant too) you want to focus-fire multi-part bosses, either because you want fewer parts to hurt you (Fujin/Raijin, Lunasaurs, possibly the Pulsework Knights) or because you only need to burst down a single part to win (FF13!Anima, the Turkfest at the end of the current Sephevent). It's incredibly rare to get a boss where you need or want to wear down all of its parts equally.

Man, I totally disagree; I'd take Meteor over a single stronger attack for pretty much any multi-part bosses that require you to kill all the parts. How quickly you can kill off the enemies is a big way to mitigate damage, so doing more total damage per round helps you end the battle faster. Let's assume you're only doing 6000 damage with Meteor (which is really really low for meteor- that'd take some serious RES from the bosses) and 9999 with Flare. You're still doing at least 12,000 damage to any multi-part boss, and sometimes you're doing 24,000 for bosses with 4 parts. That's much much better than a single 9999 hit. After four casts, you're looking at between 48,000-96,000 damage from Meteor, and less than 40,000 for Flare. And for most current bosses, you'll probably be doing between 7000-8000 per Meteor cast, which just makes the difference even bigger.

Also, many multi-part bosses have weaker adds that will die quicker and are less threatening than the main, so strong AoE is better than taking multiple times as long to kill the same baddies. Say you've got 3 sinspawn adds- they'll probably die in two casts of Meteor, letting the rest of your team focus on the main boss. It'd probably take you 2-3 rounds to kill them by single-target focus-firing your whole team, and then you haven't even damaged the main boss yet.

Flare might be strong, but even if it's doing 2x as much damage as a -ja spell, it doesn't seem worth it with the damage cap. It's much easier to take a -ja to R4 than it is to take Flare to R2, and you're getting the same or more damage out of the former. If you're doing less than double with Flare, the comparison gets even worse. The -jas are also more flexible for trash, since you can kill way more enemies with a R4 -ja than a R2 Flare. Really, they need to make Flare a 2-hit spell like they did with the summons recently; then it would be pretty good.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
If people don't mind, I could use some orbfest advice. I think I've gotten most of the solid record materias, but assume I'm missing a couple still. Out of the following dudes I don't have to 50 yet, who should I focus on?

Currently under 50:

Core
Devout, Samurai, Dragoon, Dark Knight, Spellblade, Viking, Ranger, Knight, Red Mage, Ninja, Gladiator

II
Firion, Maria, Leon, Gordon, Ricard

III
Arc, Refia, Ingus

IV
Edward, Tellah, Fusoya

VI
Celes, Mog, Edgar, Cyan, Setzer, Strago

VII
Tifa, Zack, Cid, Reno (Egging him once bonus battles drop)

VIII
Seifer

IX
Amarant

X
Lulu, Kimahri

XIII
Snow, Hope

Thanks!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ketsuo posted:

2 hours.

gently caress

For real I'm out of stamina. I thought this was coming tomorrow. :(

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I'm blitzing through core for a bit.

All those loving XIII dungeons. WHY DO I HAVE TO SEE XIII'S PLOT I JUST WANT PASSAGE TO RYDIA'S MC

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good thing by then I'll have a stamina refresh ready from a shard by the time this starts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ETB posted:

Throw in a DU if you are set up for a shard refresh...

At 147/3, I may even hold out on that until after the holidays unless they somehow bring back Lucky Draws.

EDIT:

Aerox posted:

If people don't mind, I could use some orbfest advice. I think I've gotten most of the solid record materias, but assume I'm missing a couple still. Out of the following dudes I don't have to 50 yet, who should I focus on?
  • Ingus is great if he gets his MC in Vale of Memories; he's a more defensive Vaan, essentially, trading Thief skills for Knight skills. His relic (should we ever get it) is basically Lunatic High, as well.
  • Samurai and Spellblade should have their MCs coming around soon enough, and they're more "Restore 1 Use" deals, so they're worth grinding up.
  • Ricard's RM2 is a +20% Atk/Auto-Sap, so it's like Josef's RM1 but punchier.
  • FuSoYa's RM2 (when we get it) is basically Concentration II + Mana Spring II on a single RM, great for hybrid/sage builds.

Past that, it depends on playstyle and if you need level broken characters for certain realm synergies, mostly.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 17, 2015

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Rather then ask for specific advice on characters to level, can anyone point me to a list of characters/RM that are available from the story dungeons? I know you can see them in the story path mode, but that's not especially efficient if you're not looking for one specific thing.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Jibo posted:

gently caress

For real I'm out of stamina. I thought this was coming tomorrow. :(

Ouch. Always check the announcements to verify the time first, as they typically give 24 hours notice before one of these events starts.

I don't know who I'm going to focus on for Orbfest. I think the only characters I don't have at 50 right now are Knight, Devout, Viking, FuSoYa, and Reno (of course). Guess I'll focus on those getting MC2's - really hurts that I missed both of Cecil's MC's and have gotta wait for Vale of Memories to get Pencil's first MC.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Ive barely started the SUCKAAAAAAAAroth event <_<

gently caress Seph, I want my orbs and shittons of experience

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

IcePhoenix posted:

Reduces damage by too much in the higher level dungeons, I'd rather oneshot something to reduce the odds of it getting an attack off. If I could put it on a heavy hitter with a synergy weapon it'd be good but the orbfest dungeons don't have synergy.

I used it and Zantetsuken to great effect last orb fest.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Crazy Larry posted:

Rather then ask for specific advice on characters to level, can anyone point me to a list of characters/RM that are available from the story dungeons? I know you can see them in the story path mode, but that's not especially efficient if you're not looking for one specific thing.

Plus, when I tried to load up the Story Path view (in order to check this out myself), the game soft-locked and now I can't get into the normal dungeons at all. Period. Every time I try it either freezes or restarts the client. :sigh:

I put in a ticket with support, but I guess that's the game telling me to just focus on the orbfesting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I simply don't think I have the abilities or hones to deal with VilmaFrozenChicken. My mitigation consists of Shellga so I need to bring Sentinel Grimoire to hold the line and Firaga Strike and Fira Strike aren't enough to cook her down in two SGs.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I have 100 mythril. I already have boon, so I reckon drawing for Thyrus and Sentinel Grimoire when I fail to draw the Thyrus makes the most sense. SSB's are nice, but not really priority over superior mitigation items. Then again I really don't want to have to use Tyro, so maybe Thyrus and Golem Flute are the two I should draw for? *sperg breakdown*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

PJOmega posted:

I simply don't think I have the abilities or hones to deal with VilmaFrozenChicken. My mitigation consists of Shellga so I need to bring Sentinel Grimoire to hold the line and Firaga Strike and Fira Strike aren't enough to cook her down in two SGs.

Is Magic Breakdown an option? I was able to use Planet Protector to good effect with an all-physical team, and having Shellga/Magic Breakdown was enough for me. I also put on the highest RES FF6 gear that I had. Though, I have a Hastega relic, but it also didn't feel especially "close". My Firaga Strike is still R1 for what that's worth.

• Locked thread