Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

toe knee hand posted:

Good luck, though it's not the end of the world if you have to switch. I'm in BC too and I get coverage everywhere I think I should have coverage, with Virgin.

Except for Port Renfrew.

Yeah my girlfriend is on Bell so the same network here in Kelowna and says its fine. It's a mild hassle, but I've been pretty happy with my Koodo service so I figured I'd stay if I could.

Edit: lol now retention so can offer it to me but not the own phone discount. Friggin weird. Guess I'm switching.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BGrifter posted:

Seems ridiculous to not offer the same package to retain my business.
When you wrote this I knew what was going to happen. Canadian phone companies invented the "Computer says no." method of customer service whereby you trying to help them help you is always met with impassive but total resistance. Just switch carriers, its what they want deep down. Like banks that used to give away ipods to any and all new customers that would add direct deposit but would only shrug if you up and left to another bank.

Its the wonderful logic-gate decision path reality of our MBA overlords who only make their bonus on getting new customers and does not care at all about current customers as that is not their department.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

shadow puppet of a posted:

When you wrote this I knew what was going to happen. Canadian phone companies invented the "Computer says no." method of customer service whereby you trying to help them help you is always met with impassive but total resistance. Just switch carriers, its what they want deep down. Like banks that used to give away ipods to any and all new customers that would add direct deposit but would only shrug if you up and left to another bank.

Its the wonderful logic-gate decision path reality of our MBA overlords who only make their bonus on getting new customers and does not care at all about current customers as that is not their department.

Yeah once I got to the cancelations department the guy had enough flex to offer me the plan, but not enough to retain my BYOD 10% discount. He kept trying to say how it was only $2.50 more for an extra gig of data, and when I explained "yeah but it's $5 more a month than the same thing with Fido or Virgin" he started saying something about he'd heard that other carriers aren't offering BYOD discounts anymore.

Edit: welp, I was wrong on that. That includes the BYOD on Fido and Virgin as well.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 28, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Get a girlfriend. Share everything plans are good with money. I pay$115 for the two of us. Unlimited canada, 5gb.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I think it's worth pointing out too that Virgin and Koodo both have good deals on the Moto X Play and Moto G right now.

Moto X Play for $15 tab (or Virgin Gold which is exactly equivalent) with a $150 prepaid Visa. So $15 * 24 - $150 = $210. I have a Nexus 4 and I badly want to upgrade but I've told myself I'm not allowed to until I get a better job.

The Moto G is $5 tab on Koodo so $120, plus a $50 "bonus gift" which may or may not be worth anything, and it's back down to $7 tab (Silver) at Virgin with a $50 prepaid Visa: $7 * 24 - $50 = $118.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Tried calling Virgin last night and they were severely pushing that the extra gig is for new activations and upgrades, which I'm promptly telling them to go gently caress themselves. I'll have to push harder to get the extra gig.

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
I don't know how you feel about fido but they offer 2 years spotify. I'm currently with koodo and their coverage so far have been pretty good. I kinda want to move to fido for that spotify offer but I'm wondering how good rogers coverage is in Qubec.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
There's definitely no industry collusion and price fixing going on here, definitely not. http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile-plans https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Plans

Hint: The pricing and packages on offer, down to the 'Black Friday extra gigabyte of data", are practically identical, with identical pricing tiers. gently caress this country's telecom oligopoly

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
When I called koodo to ask about getting my 1gb plan upgraded to 2gb, they told me that deal is offered by the device manufactures which explains why it's only for new customers with the purchase of a phone, and maybe why it's the same between carriers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

BANME.sh posted:

When I called koodo to ask about getting my 1gb plan upgraded to 2gb, they told me that deal is offered by the device manufactures which explains why it's only for new customers with the purchase of a phone, and maybe why it's the same between carriers.

That's horseshit. Why would manufacturers en masse sweeten the pot on plans irrespective of what device one chooses.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
true.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The amount of blatant lies coming from CSRs for the cellular companies seems to be getting worse. They're one step away from saying switching carriers will give you herpes.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Monsieur N posted:

I don't know how you feel about fido but they offer 2 years spotify. I'm currently with koodo and their coverage so far have been pretty good. I kinda want to move to fido for that spotify offer but I'm wondering how good rogers coverage is in Qubec.

I had a horrible experience with Fido some years back where their customer service blatently lied to me and having them ship me a broken phone over the course of a month or so. Never again.

I don't really care much for Koodo either.

It would be real nice to have the 2gb but I can do without it. I barely use 300mb of data a month as it is.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I wasn't expecting this at all from you guys' posts, but I just called into Virgin to change my plan and the most irritating part was spending 15 minutes on hold: the CSR said the extra GB was for "BYOP plans, new activations, and upgrades" and since I last got a subsidy handset in 2013 and my tab had long since expired they painlessly switched me to a BYOP plan and the whole thing took like two minutes once I finally got to speak to someone, no threats to cancel necessary.

I was routinely using my entire 2GB cap and incurring overage charges before so having 4 now for the same price as I'd usually end up paying makes me pretty drat happy by Canadian wireless standards.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 1, 2015

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Does the "good" koodo deal exist? I'm going to be in Saskatoon over Christmas and I'm getting really sick of Wind so I may do the switch while I'm there.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does the "good" koodo deal exist? I'm going to be in Saskatoon over Christmas and I'm getting really sick of Wind so I may do the switch while I'm there.

Yup it exists, along with the BYOD discount

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Godinster posted:

Yup it exists, along with the BYOD discount

It seems to be company policy at Koodo to tell people the BYOD discount doesn't exist and all the carriers are discontinuing it. I had two separate people at the call centre and one at the retail location tell me that line and my dad got the same speech on Black Friday.

Edit: of course it still exists, just wanted to be clear I'm saying they're lying not that the BYOD discount is gone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got my nexus 6ps down to $50 each thanks to the holiday price guarantee. (Bell)

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Got my nexus 6ps down to $50 each thanks to the holiday price guarantee. (Bell)

You probably could have got it for $0. Best Buy had it for $0 on Rogers, assuming their price match works like that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Godinster posted:

You probably could have got it for $0. Best Buy had it for $0 on Rogers, assuming their price match works like that.

It doesn't. Edit: although I guess there's a chance it will be zero because there's a $50 off managers discretion" on them.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 1, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Reverse Centaur posted:

It doesn't. Edit: although I guess there's a chance it will be zero because there's a $50 off managers discretion" on them.

For the holiday price guarantee it's only on the displayed price. Sadly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I mean I already had $50 taken off so if they aren't jerks (ha!) it should not be erased. But I'm cool either way.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I've completed my larval transition into cellphone parasite. $25 from 7-11 should last me a full year of receiving banking texts and opening my lobby door to pizza delivery guys for 25 cents a pop. I'm going to couple that with free wifi calls and texts through TextNow which gives me a free 647 number and the google Hangouts Dialer which lets me make unlimited outgoing calls from parts unknown.

At this point I am an accelerationist and I now only want to see the Canadian cellphone landscape get worse for my amusement. I may take up the hobby of writing consumer opinion letters on behalf of the big 3 to the CRTC so they'll have one single person to point to as confirmation that 'the public' would infact like to see the return of negative option billing and uk-style premium rate calling times.

Its a shame though that dual sim phones have no traction here. It would be nice to have a $15/mo unlimited-yet-slow HPSA/AWS data sim through Wind, but the market is too small and it would kneecap their profitability.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
My wife and I are both off contract in AB right now, and she wants to upgrade to an iPhone 6, and we'd like to cut our overall cell phone bill. She's with Rogers at $70something a month and the service sucks in SK, where we travel frequently. I'm on a 8 year old Bell corporate plan for $65 unlimited everything (including data). I never use more than 1Gb in a month though, and the plan excludes tethering/hotspotting so the unlimited data is pretty much useless to me.

We've been looking at Bell's shared plans because the pricing is not terrible and she could get an iPhone on contract for a not terrible price. I'd take her 5S because I hate huge phones and a 5S is good enough for me.

We're thinking that 2-3Gb shared data is good enough for us. The shared Bell plan is $135/mo. Is there a better deal available in AB we should be looking at that doesn't use Rogers towers? Bell's retention department said there's no discount available on shared plans so I have no loyalty incentive to them.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Not that I'm any fan of Rogers but when was the last time you traveled to SK? They recently benefited from a CRTC ruling and have SaskTel's coverage now, similar to Bell, so you may actually be fine in that regard.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Godinster posted:

Not that I'm any fan of Rogers but when was the last time you traveled to SK? They recently benefited from a CRTC ruling and have SaskTel's coverage now, similar to Bell, so you may actually be fine in that regard.

Earlier this year. When did that change? That would make a big difference.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

Earlier this year. When did that change? That would make a big difference.

I believe it was about 6 months ago? It was supposed to be January 1st but I noticed the change several months after that. I travel between Saskatoon and Regina quite frequently and up until the change, I could only get EDGE on Highway 11 but now it's LTE^R [indicating LTE roaming but it doesn't actually charge roaming]. I have a Telus, Bell and Rogers SIM in different devices for work and since the change I've actually had a stronger LTE signal on Rogers in SK in many areas than Bellus on the SaskTel network, and in those areas it's a lot faster since it isn't at all saturated.

You get a text message the first time you cross into roaming territory. From what I understand you can continue to use your data while "roaming" on SaskTel as long as it isn't more than 50% of your data usage for 3 consecutive months, so you shouldn't have to worry.

http://www.rogers.com/business/on/en/smallbusiness/rogers/coverage/ - Check this for the areas you travel to. The "extended coverage" areas are actually better than their HSPA areas since you get SaskTel LTE.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 13, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Godinster posted:

I believe it was about 6 months ago? It was supposed to be January 1st but I noticed the change several months after that. I travel between Saskatoon and Regina quite frequently and up until the change, I could only get EDGE on Highway 11 but now it's LTE^R [indicating LTE roaming but it doesn't actually charge roaming]. I have a Telus, Bell and Rogers SIM in different devices for work and since the change I've actually had a stronger LTE signal on Rogers in SK in many areas than Bellus on the SaskTel network, and in those areas it's a lot faster since it isn't at all saturated.

You get a text message the first time you cross into roaming territory. From what I understand you can continue to use your data while "roaming" on SaskTel as long as it isn't more than 50% of your data usage for 3 consecutive months, so you shouldn't have to worry.

http://www.rogers.com/business/on/en/smallbusiness/rogers/coverage/ - Check this for the areas you travel to. The "extended coverage" areas are actually better than their HSPA areas since you get SaskTel LTE.

That's really helpful, thanks. We spend a lot of time at the cabin up north, near PA. So the extended coverage would actually make a signficant difference for us according to that map. We'll take a look at Rogers plans.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Hoooooollllllllyyyy shittttttttttt, Shaw's buying WIND.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incoming/shaw-buying-wind-mobile-for-16-billion/article27791628/?click=sf_globe

press release: http://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=81295431&qm_symbol=SJR.B

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Holy gently caress.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Like, I think this is probably a good thing; despite further consolidation, wind really needs the backing and support that a bigger player can provide. Just desperately hoping that it doesn't simply end up being the fourth option with all the same plans, now.

Also, gonna be slitting wrists over slow data for a while, yet:

"As WIND continues to reinvest in its network and service offering, including a scheduled upgrade to 4G LTE services by 2017"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Suddenly very glad I'm not on a contract.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Well, still gotta pass regulatory hurdles but I suspect they'll fly through - deal isn't expect to close til Q3 anyway.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Calling it now. Videotron buys PetroCanada Wireless and McLean-Hunter comes back from the dead to buy PC Mobile.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Already sounds like Shaw is going to accelerate the LTE roll out. I wonder if they will build up the network and market it across western Canada?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If nothing else it's bad for Telus. Anything that's bad for Telus is good for Canada.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DariusLikewise posted:

Already sounds like Shaw is going to accelerate the LTE roll out. I wonder if they will build up the network and market it across western Canada?
I look forward to it quickly coming out that Shaw wants nothing to do with Wind itself and is only buying them to access the low rate on the loan pool they just negotiated among the major banks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

shadow puppet of a posted:

I look forward to it quickly coming out that Shaw wants nothing to do with Wind itself and is only buying them to access the low rate on the loan pool they just negotiated among the major banks.

Knowing Shaw they will probably cancel any upgrades planned, milk the current customer base as much as possible then loan as much money as possible against Wind's assets and give Brad Shaw a nice Christmas bonus.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DariusLikewise posted:

Knowing Shaw they will probably cancel any upgrades planned, milk the current customer base as much as possible then loan as much money as possible against Wind's assets and give Brad Shaw a nice Christmas bonus.

Can you blame him though? Its not easy keeping up with the Lance Cogeco's and Jeffry Chatr's of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:rip: all my unlimited stuff for 33 bux