Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Oh yeah from an investment standpoint it's sound. K-cups are basically the new microwave dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm not a big k cup fan, but they beat the living poo poo out of most office and hotel coffee setups.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bizwank posted:

Peet's didn't buy anything; the investment firm that owns a controlling interest in Peets and Stumptown added Keurig to their portfolio as well. It's literally the first sentence of the link you posted.

Yeah but I didn't want to type all that out so

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Keurig is worth way more than star wars.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which one of you guys wrote this?

http://www.theawl.com/2015/11/by-the-gallon

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So I posted a bit ago and did some digging around since then. I'm looking to get into the home espresso game, and I think I've settled on a Breville BES920XL and a Baratza Vario (maybe vario-w). My goal is to be able to make coffee that is good enough to keep me from my daily hipster coffee lounge habit.

I guess my question is if, before I go out and drop that sort of cash, is there anything comparable to those that I should be considering instead? Both seem pretty dang well regarded so I don't see any major problems but figured I should ask at least.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
when I pour the water in my muhfackin' V60, some of it is running around the bottom rim and then onto my muhfackin' pour over stand. plz help.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't use a pour over stand

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

So I posted a bit ago and did some digging around since then. I'm looking to get into the home espresso game, and I think I've settled on a Breville BES920XL and a Baratza Vario (maybe vario-w). My goal is to be able to make coffee that is good enough to keep me from my daily hipster coffee lounge habit.

I guess my question is if, before I go out and drop that sort of cash, is there anything comparable to those that I should be considering instead? Both seem pretty dang well regarded so I don't see any major problems but figured I should ask at least.

This is the exact setup I use, and it makes great espresso.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TheJeffers posted:

This is the exact setup I use, and it makes great espresso.

Yep, ended up picking it up yesterday and I'm slowly dialing it all in. So far though I still managed to make perfectly drinkable espresso better than most of the drive-thru places nearby, so that's a pretty good start.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Can someone recommend me some good brands for coffee grinders, probably in the ~100 CAD range? The refurbished Baratzas from the OP look good but it doesn't look like they ship here. The Capressos also look to be a little out of my range, something like $170 from Amazon.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Jesus christ that's a ripoff. On the US amazon site it's only 90 USD which supposedly is about 124 CAD.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

dik-dik posted:

Jesus christ that's a ripoff. On the US amazon site it's only 90 USD which supposedly is about 124 CAD.

That payback for having first run movies in Netflix.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone here have experience with the LifeSky manual grinder? It's currently $9 on Amazon if you use this discount code: UBL2D4J9

I'm really just looking for a portable hand grinder for travel.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 15, 2015

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

dik-dik posted:

Anyone here have experience with the LifeSky manual grinder? It's currently $9 on Amazon if you use this discount code: UBL2D4J9

I'm really just looking for a portable hand grinder for travel.

I got the Hario Slim grinder as recommend in the OP about a week ago and I'm happy with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey if I wanted to make an affogato and don't have an espresso machine, could I take some mason jars to a coffee shop, order a few espressos, put them in the jars and then take them home to serve them on ice cream a few hours later, or am I going to lose something during the few hours it's sitting around

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

In case anyone is in the market for a grinder for press, the Virtuoso I recently bought (refurb from Baratza) is working very, very well. Consistent, coarse, few or no fines depending on setting.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Steve Yun posted:

Hey if I wanted to make an affogato and don't have an espresso machine, could I take some mason jars to a coffee shop, order a few espressos, put them in the jars and then take them home to serve them on ice cream a few hours later, or am I going to lose something during the few hours it's sitting around

Do you have a good regular coffee setup? I would try that at home vs taking espresso to go. The crema tends to go flat quickly and with the addition of ice cream I would guess the coffee component may not be that important in the end. Good luck !

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I've used an Aeropress and the standard brewing method (with no hot water added at the end) for this and it's worked out well.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'd say your best option if you want to use real espresso would be to bring the ice cream to the cafe and ask them to pull your shot onto it. Espresso really should be consumed within minutes of being brewed. Otherwise, just make some other form of strong coffee at home and pour that over the ice cream.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dik-dik posted:

I'd say your best option if you want to use real espresso would be to bring the ice cream to the cafe and ask them to pull your shot onto it. Espresso really should be consumed within minutes of being brewed. Otherwise, just make some other form of strong coffee at home and pour that over the ice cream.

Unless they ignore health codes, no coffee shop would do this. They can't take responsibility for ice cream they did not supply.

I'll second the aeropress. My mom made one for me that way and it wasn't that far off from the real deal.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Steve Yun posted:

This is one of those desserts you only make if you have an espresso machine...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay then how does moka pot compare to aeropress

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Moka pot is closer to espresso. There's a little pressure involved and you have the oils. Aeropress is NOTHING like espresso.

There are restaurants that use nespresso for their affogato.

At the end of the day we're still talking about ice cream so it will probably be delicious.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

Mu Zeta posted:

At the end of the day we're still talking about ice cream so it will probably be delicious.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

rockcity posted:

Unless they ignore health codes, no coffee shop would do this. They can't take responsibility for ice cream they did not supply.

I'll second the aeropress. My mom made one for me that way and it wasn't that far off from the real deal.

Ok then bring it in your own vessel, buy a shot, pour it over the ice cream yourself.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I got the Hario Slim grinder as recommend in the OP about a week ago and I'm happy with it.

I have one of these. After about a year the crank sheared off the bolt where it mates with the shaft, which made it impossible to grind coffee. I've temporarily "fixed" this by placing a rubber washer over the shaft before attaching the crank so the crank meets the bolt further up (where it hasn't been sheared) but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it wears off again.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Porlex Mini is a bit pricier, and from what I've heard probably has the exact same burrs, but it's a well-built and very small hand mill.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

drat. now I wish I'd bought the porlex mini instead (mostly for the size, really). Oh well. As long as the hario can survive interview season I'll be okay.

Also, I brewed pourover yesterday for the first time in a few months and I just can't get over how completely different a drink it is from espresso. Wow.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

HappyHippo posted:

I have one of these. After about a year the crank sheared off the bolt where it mates with the shaft, which made it impossible to grind coffee. I've temporarily "fixed" this by placing a rubber washer over the shaft before attaching the crank so the crank meets the bolt further up (where it hasn't been sheared) but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it wears off again.

This same exact thing happened to mine and I'mcurrently doing the same thing. It's been a great work grinder except for this.

supersteve fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 18, 2015

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Anyone have a Breville Grind Control? Looking to get something easy to use for my parents.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

geetee posted:

Anyone have a Breville Grind Control? Looking to get something easy to use for my parents.

This is the first I've heard of it, but I'll admit that I'm kind of intrigued. A drip machine with a built in adjustable burr grinder is probably a first.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

geetee posted:

We got my dad one of the breville built in grinder machines last year and he really likes it. They have a lot of options, but are still fairly easy to use, and it makes pretty good coffee as well.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Am I the only one that thinks about "Thats just the stoner pour talkin" every morning now? That loving youtube has wormed its way into my brain's morning routine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That stumptown video? Yeah it's been on my mind every day. I loving hate stumptown. And of course they pimp Mast Bros. chocolate and it turns out that the company is a sham selling lovely chocolate to hipsters.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

That stumptown video? Yeah it's been on my mind every day. I loving hate stumptown. And of course they pimp Mast Bros. chocolate and it turns out that the company is a sham selling lovely chocolate to hipsters.

I've had a couple of their bars and they were pretty good. I got them at my cousins wedding though so they were free. I'm not much for just eating straight chocolate, but I chopped them up and baked with them and they were pretty good in that.

Also, gently caress you guys for reminding me about that video. I'd long forgotten about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's pretty good but for $10 a bar it should be amazing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mu Zeta posted:

It's pretty good but for $10 a bar it should be amazing.

It's $10 a bar? That is worse than Whole Foods chocolate bar prices, for the super ethical poo poo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone seen those nitrogen infused cold brew cans from caveman coffee? I kinda want to try one for shits and gigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

rockcity posted:

Also, gently caress you guys for reminding me about that video. I'd long forgotten about it.