Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

OldTennisCourt posted:

I have the Zahn novels and played the KOTOR games, is there any other decent EU stuff I should look at?

When I was in middle school, I burned through most of the EU stuff that had come out by that point. The Zahn novels were the high point and the lows were pretty far down. I feel there's not a lot that merits a revisit now that I'm in my late 20s and have experienced much more sophisticated literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cargohills posted:

They exist as much now as they did before. There was never any possibility of a sequel retaining of the EU stuff anyway.

No they don't because there is no longer anything new being made in that particular branch of EU (which is in fact a distinct different from how Star Trek) handled it and there won't be. Prior to that new content was coming out on a regular basis and now no content is coming out featuring those characters and never will again.

Hammerstein posted:

We cannot thank Abrams enough for wiping out the poo poo stain of the EU in one swift superlaser blast.

Allow me to remind you:

On the other hand the plot of the new film appears to be about a Star Wars fanboy who collects Star Wars memorabilia and is after Luke Skywalker's lightsaber!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I have the Zahn novels and played the KOTOR games, is there any other decent EU stuff I should look at?

No. It's pretty much all poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Danger posted:

The ideological statement is that the laborers and slaves on the death star are invisible.

Exactly. And this isn't some abstract point. C3PO, R2, Chewbaca - even Han and Luke - all of them disguise themselves as servants in order to deliberately make themselves invisible.

This is some Spook Who Sat By The Door stuff - but this imagery only makes sense if our heroes are a part of the Death Star already.

And, of course, they are. The characters' costumes reflect their true selves. This is why Luke dresses as a Stormtrooper: because he was fully willing to join the empire at the start of the film, and not much is different. Chewbacca wears chains because even his friends call him a 'walking carpet', failing to recognize his contributions. And so-on.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jerusalem posted:

What about that one dude carrying the ice-cream maker during the evacuation of Cloud City in Empire Strikes Back? Is he no longer the secret hero of the rebellion who behind the scenes saved the day and was responsible for all the main characters' victories? :ohdear:

Did no one tell you about Snoke pulling his face off,revealing Ice Cream Maker Guy ?

Before anyone jumps down my throat,that was a joke.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Well, c'mon people, spoil it, when does the force awaken during the movie?! Is the big superweapon a giant force alarm clock?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The Force. It's calling to you. Get your rear end out of bed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Saw it, loved it. Every actor kicks rear end, action looks great, it's fun, it goes to some pretty dark places. John Boyega and Adam Driver are the stand-outs, they're both amazing. Only major issue I had was I thought the main action setpiece in the third act was a bit lazy.

Really Empire, you build a third loving fully armed and operational battlestation and it has a dumb weak point just like the last two and it is defeated by another goddamn trench run come on, maybe be a little more creative

Also gently caress this gay forum for spoiling Han's death, even if you saw it coming as soon as he went to confront his son

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Great movie. Great cast. Okay music.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Saw it, loved it. Every actor kicks rear end, action looks great, it's fun, it goes to some pretty dark places. John Boyega and Adam Driver are the stand-outs, they're both amazing. Only major issue I had was I thought the main action setpiece in the third act was a bit lazy.

Really Empire, you build a third loving fully armed and operational battlestation and it has a dumb weak point just like the last two and it is defeated by another goddamn trench run come on, maybe be a little more creative

Also gently caress this gay forum for spoiling Han's death, even if you saw it coming as soon as he went to confront his son

Didn't pretty much everybody expect Han to die from the second the film was announced?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

It wasn't a spoiler, there were no solid leaks and it was everyone just guessing the insanely obvious

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah there was pretty much no other way it could've gone

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Exactly. And this isn't some abstract point. C3PO, R2, Chewbaca - even Han and Luke - all of them disguise themselves as servants in order to deliberately make themselves invisible.

This is some Spook Who Sat By The Door stuff - but this imagery only makes sense if our heroes are a part of the Death Star already.

And, of course, they are. The characters' costumes reflect their true selves. This is why Luke dresses as a Stormtrooper: because he was fully willing to join the empire at the start of the film, and not much is different. Chewbacca wears chains because even his friends call him a 'walking carpet', failing to recognize his contributions. And so-on.

:stonk:

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
I'm going to the seventh Star Wars premiere of my life tonight, all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hey CelticPredator, I called the theater today and asked them if they were going to be giving away posters at the premiere tomorrow night, and i'm pretty shocked that they said no. Instead, they're selling some theater-themed Star Wars t-shirt for 20 bucks.

This is the first IMAX blockbuster that hasn't had it's own IMAX-specific poster handout in ages. When I bought the tickets back in October, I apparently incorrectly assumed they'd be giving away a poster, because they ALWAYS do. Even The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man 3 had it's own IMAX poster. Go figure.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Koos Goop posted:

I'm going to the seventh Star Wars premiere of my life tonight, all.

Are you french? how are people going to these otherwise?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Just came back from watching it. It premiered on the 16th where I am (Norway). I did not go to the first showing. Think the first one was around noonish.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hammerstein posted:

We cannot thank Abrams enough for wiping out the poo poo stain of the EU in one swift superlaser blast.

Allow me to remind you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etwJnVBHy9c

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hammerstein posted:

Allow me to remind you:

Going by the spoilers They're doing basically the same plot as that book, i.e. finding an artifact from a famous Jedi and treasuring it for Reasons. Except in this case it's ~~Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber~~ instead of the glove.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So, Rey

Her being Luke's daughter is too obvious, I don't think they'll do that. But who else could it be? Obi-Wan's granddaughter?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw poo poo, black bars. gently caress it, I'm out until after I see it tomorrow night. I picked up my ticket at the theater after work and tomorrow I'm gonna be marathoning the original trilogy on VHS before seeing Force Awakens. But yeah, I don't wanna be spoiled. See y'all on the other side.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

Hey CelticPredator, I called the theater today and asked them if they were going to be giving away posters at the premiere tomorrow night, and i'm pretty shocked that they said no. Instead, they're selling some theater-themed Star Wars t-shirt for 20 bucks.

This is the first IMAX blockbuster that hasn't had it's own IMAX-specific poster handout in ages. When I bought the tickets back in October, I apparently incorrectly assumed they'd be giving away a poster, because they ALWAYS do. Even The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man 3 had it's own IMAX poster. Go figure.

That's weird. Huh. But no worries! It's all good!

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

The movie premieres in Mexico tonight also.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My mouse just caught one of those spoiler bars and gently caress.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep I'm outta here til the weekend.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Yolo Ziff is my new favourite star war name.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TG-Chrono posted:

Yolo Ziff is my new favourite star war name.

I'm partial to Yarael Poof.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

EL BROMANCE posted:

And now you know that Leia had a secret affair with Greedo.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

El Chingon posted:

Movie has already come out in Korea as well. Weird that the US is behind everyone else on this particular film.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

El Chingon posted:

It's also out in Brazil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7xvuQx1Ug

Beeez
May 28, 2012

He's alleged to have been a child molester.

Hammerstein posted:

Allow me to remind you:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mofference

I will never forget these books, and I've never even read them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
MOFF CON 2015.

Christ I'd hate to see the cosplay.

"Man your Tarkin widow's peak is PERFECT!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress. Someone posted the score on Youtube but it was all slow-like so I was listening to it in a very strange way until I got home and used the Youtube speed thing to set it right...but now it's gone. :(

Also, it's not in stores either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

MOFF CON 2015.

Christ I'd hate to see the cosplay.

"Man your Tarkin widow's peak is PERFECT!"

Any scenario where someone is doing Peter Cushing cosplay would be alright with me.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I had a whole post half written out when the discussion was on the living ships/cities on the depiction of a Delueze's machinic phylum, an actual expression of the virtual (the Force), in Star Wars and how c3po and r2d2 are specifically positioned as radical in relation to it (and indeed they are introduced as nomads) but then I had to go to a meeting and my computer went to sleep and lost it and I had lost my train of thought. I think the films make a point to make C3PO (the linguist) and R2D2 distinct as human characters (or the human characters as droids).

Danger fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 17, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EL BROMANCE posted:

Me too. I'm only going to the movie next Wednesday, so I already accepted I'd probably be spoiled at some point, but it's still kind of a bummer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This review makes the movie sound exactly like what I was worried it would become:

quote:

The result is a movie that’s awestruck, warmhearted, good-humored—and conspicuously prefabricated, without a jolt of spontaneity or reckless impulse anywhere in its sealed-up universe

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-pre-fab-star-wars-the-force-awakens

(no spoilers except a brief summary of the opening text crawl)

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The criticism that sticks out to me that I've read is it's familiarity with the MCU model: where yes, it's the beginning of a trilogy, but in a way that it's less it's own film and more a "setup" for the next film (which we see now continuing into perpetuity with Marvel--why does Kylo act this way? Well look forward to Kylo's Adventure this Summer). Lucas's reaction mirrored this, stating it's what fans were looking for (which we of course realize is the absence of satisfaction). Whether or not that's true, I don't know. I'll see it tomorrow.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This movie for sure doesn't work as well on its own as episode 4 did, which is definitely a sign of the times. It feels like an extension of the old rather than the beginning of a new trilogy, but in this case I don't think it hurts it too much. I was left wanting more, but I wasn't unsatisfied. It builds upon itself in a really deft manner throughout, and although the main story thread is unresolved by the end, there is enough going on to where I think classifying it primarily as "setup" is unfair. I think of it like the first Matrix movie; it's the first battle in a larger war, and it promises more to come rather than "nothing matters until the sequel"

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 17, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The good thing is, there's going to be so many different Star Wars to go around. So if you really didn't like this movie, you have Rouge One, Episode 8 and Han Solo movie directed by Lord and Miller. I'm okay if this movie is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Danger posted:

The criticism that sticks out to me that I've read is it's familiarity with the MCU model: where yes, it's the beginning of a trilogy, but in a way that it's less it's own film and more a "setup" for the next film (which we see now continuing into perpetuity with Marvel--why does Kylo act this way? Well look forward to Kylo's Adventure this Summer). Lucas's reaction mirrored this, stating it's what fans were looking for (which we of course realize is the absence of satisfaction). Whether or not that's true, I don't know. I'll see it tomorrow.

*GASP* Not a movie that feels like an episode in a sci-fi serial! George must be seething.

• Locked thread