Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ZeusJupitar posted:

You cannot leave it at that.

http://michaelkelly.artofeurope.com/karl.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

"...the one writer I know whose intensity of vision and purity of punctuation rivals my own, who writes fictions set in an alternate world in which Michael Bolton is a vampire and David Hasselhoff is a werewolf."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the human mind... fragile, like a robins egg

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I kind of forgot about this game since I didn't want to get worn out before the full release, but I remembered I kickstarted this thing enough to get like a character name an item put in. Did they ever put out the call for that or is that happening post-release?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've been having a lot of success with 2 Highwaymen in the front 2 rows using Point Blank Shot. With equipment you can guarantee the front guy goes first and they just trade off slots with each other doing obscene damage to the mob in the front. Wrecked the Swine King with this setup with very little risk.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've been having a lot of success with 2 Highwaymen in the front 2 rows using Point Blank Shot. With equipment you can guarantee the front guy goes first and they just trade off slots with each other doing obscene damage to the mob in the front. Wrecked the Swine King with this setup with very little risk.

pointblank shot has saved my poo poo so many times. Was the only reason I was able to beat the Hag the first time out. Realized I didn't have any big damage dealers for front, luckily the Highwayman just spammed his shot. In general things like Duelist Advance has made him a great buddy for teams that like to move around (especially if you have Jester in there.)

Are there any tips for doing the Long maps? I see them all the time but absolutely hate doing them. Maybe I just think that longer 2-camp missions tend to drag for more time then I'd like in a single go.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

quote:

Red Hook posted:

This surprise update adds more gameplay options, a number of interface and quality-of-life improvements, and some key gameplay tweaks! Happy Holidays from Red Hook!

Game Options
More game options have been added!
Options are sorted into categories
Gameplay Options are now controlled by a master "Darkest Dungeon Config" option. In order to toggle individual gameplay options off, you must first change "Darkest Dungeon Config" to OFF. "Darkest Dungeon Mode" is the default configuration as designed.
If you previously had Corpses turned OFF, you will need to turn Darkest Dungeon Config OFF and then turn Corpses OFF again.
Removed the option to disable Heart Attacks. Heart Attacks were changed substantially in the Inhuman Bondage update (they no longer kill you instantly) and the stress mechanics of the game require you to play with the revised Heart Attacks
New Game Option: Disable Combat Delay Penalties
New Game Option: Reduce strength of enemy crits
New Game Option: Eliminate lasting mortality debuffs from Death's Door and Heart Attacks
New Game Option: Make Combat Retreats always succeed (except when blocked by Affliction)

Interface Improvements
Town Quicknav Buttons - Upon entering a town building, you can quickjump to another building by clicking the buttons on the left side of the screen. This reduces the clicks necessary to get around town and attend to your heroes.
Embark Memory - Upon returning to the Hamlet, the party slots will remain occupied by the previous party. Roster sort by activity should also include sorting by who is in current party.
Trap Disarm Tray Icon - Upon approaching a scouted trap, a tray icon will pop for the hero(s) to show their chances of disarming it.
TAB to switch between Map and Inventory panels.
Right panel will no longer automatically swap to map from inventory when the party starts moving. Manually do it with TAB or (M).
CLICK on torch meter at top of screen to quickly use a torch from inventory.
Added "actions remaining" to the health/stress bar tooltips to indicate what the tickmark means (hero or monster still has another action this combat round)
Added tutorial event for selling trinkets.
Misc town UI icon polish
Trinket selling confirm now has an "always" button, to reduce popups on repeated trinket selling
If embarking on a quest of Veteran or Champion difficulty and you don't have any trinkets equipped, a warning box will pop up to remind you.
Curio disease resists will say "Resist!" to give a better idea of what happened
Trinket alphabetical secondary sort so that identical trinkets end up beside one another after a class/rarity sort.

Gameplay Adjustments
Afflictions: if trying to heal, move or buff an afflicted hero and they resist, this will no longer consume the originating hero's turn. That hero can try to do another action. (e.g. You try to heal your paranoid Crusader with a Vestal. If the Crusader refuses, you still get to use the Vestal to do something else that turn.)
Increased ACC of many hero skills, with particular emphasis to make status skills (debuffs, stuns, etc.) more accurate overall. This shifts more burden onto resist rolls for those skills.
Highwayman - Tracking Shot now procs the buff even on a miss
Sanitarium - increased chance of curing all diseases at once during a disease treatment
Monsters - some veteran and champion HP increases to partially account for overall increased hero accuracy
Monsters - review of resistances (bleed, blight, stun, move, debuff), mostly resulting in reductions
Monsters - some speed tweaks to emphasize roles
Monsters - dodge tweaks (some up, some down) to still reflect intent of dodgy monsters, given increased hero accuracy
Madman - reduced stress output at apprentice level so he isn't quite so bad of a new party landmine
Fungal Bloat - reduced dmg, crit, and marked target dmg (he was a bit too over-damaging, contributing to high Weald death rates)

Miscellaneous Fixes
Fix to padlock stress buff not applying on transform stress.
Abomination stance fixes.
Fix to abomination not reseting to idle when fighting in battle that has no loot.
Restricted hero class can swap out eachother in quest select when no other restrictions will take place.
Clamp stress when pending affliction to avoid heart attack before affliction is applied.
Removed the ability to use items when screen is not idle.
Fix to instant skill buffs carying over when transforming because of affliction and selected skill being set.

A break in the clouds--hark, the sun!

--the Darkest Dungeon team

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As somebody who just started playing this again after the last round of patches, some of those changes are exactly what I wanted.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

As somebody who just started playing this again after the last round of patches, some of those changes are exactly what I wanted.

Same. Holy hell the "affliction using up a turn" is a HUGE one and so is the ability to turn off "lasting mortality debuffs from Death's Door and Heart Attacks." But overall the majority of these fixes and options are fantastic. I feel like they've completely turned things on its head for the better with these changes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I do not like people being able to turn these things off. You shall suffer as I have :mad:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I do not like people being able to turn these things off. You shall suffer as I have :mad:

I dunno, I like the semantics of it.

quote:

In order to toggle individual gameplay options off, you must first change "Darkest Dungeon Config" to OFF. "Darkest Dungeon Mode" is the default configuration as designed.

Sure, you can turn poo poo off, but then you're not really playing Darkest Dungeon. :smug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

Sure, you can turn poo poo off, but then you're not really playing Darkest Dungeon. :smug:

honestly I'll take that much if it means reaching Death's Door won't seriously stat-down characters for the longer missions. Getting a negative stress effect plus being closer to Heart Attack was enough for me. I can't see toggling anything else off though, unless you're that one unlucky person getting crits from maggots constantly.

Accuracy buff will def help heroes like Plague Doctor. No idea why Tracking Shot gets buff even from a miss, which is hilariously illogical, but I'll take it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah it seems like the perfect compromise to me.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
turning off darkest dungeon mode changes the color palette to a gentle pastel range and pitches the narrators voice up to sound like a cartoon animal mascot

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm probably not gonna turn any of the options off, but stuff like afflicted characters no longer consuming other characters' turns, tab switching, madman reductions, and the overall accuracy boost are welcome fixes. Might just be the roll of the dice but I've had a ton of missions lately where my dudes miss several times in a row before getting murdered.

I'll admit that fiddling with enemy crits is tempting though. Last night (pre-patch) some random mook got a crit off against my Occultist, knocking him down from full HP to death's door with a bleed effect which killed him on his very next turn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

If you previously had Corpses turned OFF, you will need to turn Darkest Dungeon Config OFF and then turn Corpses OFF again.
Removed the option to disable Heart Attacks. Heart Attacks were changed substantially in the Inhuman Bondage update (they no longer kill you instantly) and the stress mechanics of the game require you to play with the revised Heart Attacks
New Game Option: Disable Combat Delay Penalties
New Game Option: Reduce strength of enemy crits
New Game Option: Eliminate lasting mortality debuffs from Death's Door and Heart Attacks
New Game Option: Make Combat Retreats always succeed (except when blocked by Affliction)

Changing these options should delete the game from your account.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

Last night (pre-patch) some random mook got a crit off against my Occultist, knocking him down from full HP to death's door with a bleed effect which killed him on his very next turn.

it was a mercy, in a way

the occultists' next move would have been a 0hp heal, which would have procced a bleed

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

honestly I'll take that much if it means reaching Death's Door won't seriously stat-down characters for the longer missions. Getting a negative stress effect plus being closer to Heart Attack was enough for me. I can't see toggling anything else off though, unless you're that one unlucky person getting crits from maggots constantly.

Accuracy buff will def help heroes like Plague Doctor. No idea why Tracking Shot gets buff even from a miss, which is hilariously illogical, but I'll take it.

Weeeeeak.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I like it

paranoid randroid posted:

turning off darkest dungeon mode changes the color palette to a gentle pastel range and pitches the narrators voice up to sound like a cartoon animal mascot
haha

or the Ancestor is so deeply ashamed of you that he just refuses to speak to you again until you turn it back on

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do legit hope there's some voiceover along the lines of "The terrified heroes fruitlessly seek advantage wherever they can find it." when those options are disabled. Nothing necessarily punitive or even mocking, just an acknowledgement that you're all still hosed.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I don't know what they did but gently caress. Just lost level 5 Dismas to literally the first fight of a long ruins mission that put 2 others at death's door. Grounded that mission before it even took off...

I guess the one upside is it's longer weird as gently caress for Dismas to be carrying around his own bloody head in bag that we won off a fight with the collector.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

From redhook on r/darkestdungeon:

With this update we also wanted to announce a planned feature for launch.

New Game +
With the added new gameplay options to help ease the difficulty for some of our players, we are also planning a mode for those who enjoy the challenge.

Plans for NG+ will include a fail state, will require DD mode on, and will have other aspects enhanced to up the challenge.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Darkester Dungeon mode, rad

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My diseased, neurotic, claustrophobic, masochistic, but nonetheless devoutly religious Crusader has survived literally every no hope suicide mission I've sent him on.

I'm starting to think God really is on his side. Anybody else I'd have dismissed after accumulating that many negative quirks but this guy just keeps on trucking.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Inspired by someone else who mentioned it, I went searching for what else the Darkest Dungeon narrator Wayne June has done.

--Wayne June narrates Lovecraft on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77xxGopjMbY

The Shunned House is really good.

--Wayne June narrates Kubla Kahn (Coleridge), The City And The Sea (Poe), Dream-Lands (Poe), The Conqueror Worm (Poe), The House On the Borderland (Hodgson) 5.2 hours for $10, To Virgil Finlay (Lovecraft), and The Oval Portrait (Poe)

http://www.sffaudio.com/index.php?s=wayne+june

--Wayne June narrates Lovecraft in audiobook form: http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Worlds-Lovecraft-Volume/dp/B004BDTXFK

--Wayne June's audiobook catalog of narrations: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/3890839.Wayne_June

Also : http://vibedeck.com/waynejune

--Wayne June's Website: http://www.waynejune.com/

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Darkester Dungeon mode, rad

Dark Harder

(Dung Harder?)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Dark Harder

(Dung Harder?)

:darksouls:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Darkester Dungeon

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Why is there no custom colours? I wanna make my insane murdersquad be all pink and pretty.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

Why is there no custom colours? I wanna make my insane murdersquad be all pink and pretty.

you answered your own question

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

These are good changes

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Helical Nightmares posted:

Inspired by someone else who mentioned it, I went searching for what else the Darkest Dungeon narrator Wayne June has done.

--Wayne June narrates Lovecraft on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77xxGopjMbY

The Shunned House is really good.

--Wayne June narrates Kubla Kahn (Coleridge), The City And The Sea (Poe), Dream-Lands (Poe), The Conqueror Worm (Poe), The House On the Borderland (Hodgson) 5.2 hours for $10, To Virgil Finlay (Lovecraft), and The Oval Portrait (Poe)

http://www.sffaudio.com/index.php?s=wayne+june

--Wayne June narrates Lovecraft in audiobook form: http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Worlds-Lovecraft-Volume/dp/B004BDTXFK

--Wayne June's audiobook catalog of narrations: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/3890839.Wayne_June

Also : http://vibedeck.com/waynejune

--Wayne June's Website: http://www.waynejune.com/

This loving rules. Just listened to the Shunned House while I was working. This guy's voice was made for reading horror. I want everything Lovecraft ever wrote read by this guy. Thanks for this, HN.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm really happy about that affliction no longer wasting a turn change, that's a major buff to the heroes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bad Seafood posted:

My diseased, neurotic, claustrophobic, masochistic, but nonetheless devoutly religious Crusader has survived literally every no hope suicide mission I've sent him on.

I'm starting to think God really is on his side. Anybody else I'd have dismissed after accumulating that many negative quirks but this guy just keeps on trucking.

"The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're hosed"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bad Seafood posted:

Post screenshots.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Honky Dong Country posted:

This loving rules. Just listened to the Shunned House while I was working. This guy's voice was made for reading horror. I want everything Lovecraft ever wrote read by this guy. Thanks for this, HN.

Yea the dark worlds of h.p. lovecraft he did covered

quote:

Volume 1

1. The Call of Cthulu
2. The Dunwich Horror

Volume2

1. Dagon
2. The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Volume 3

1. Herbert West Re-Animator
2. The Horror at Red Hook
3. The Outsider
4. The Statement of Randolph Carter

Volume 4

1. The Music of Erich Zann
2. The Rats in the Walls
3. The Shunned House

Volume 5

1. Haunter of the Dark
2. The Lurking Fear
3. The Thing on the Doorstep

Volume 6

1. At the Mountains of Madness

People talking about death door debuffs realize that when you pull them off of death's door the lingering debuff is a much weaker version right? Like -3 acc and -5% dmg and poo poo instead of the -10/-20 or so the debuff for sitting there is.
Glad there is an option for people to turn stuff off, because the game is pretty great and atmospheric. Looking forward to the hard mode as well!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

It's been a while since I played and heard there had been a bunch of changes and additions. Not that I'm complaining but it seems much easier now. Before, even apprentice level dungeons were a slog, now I can slaughter my way through them with ease.

I'm liking the hound master and arbalest classes as well.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
If i play now will there be a wipe when they add final dungeon and story? Been holding off playing until i can actually beat the game.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Draynar posted:

If i play now will there be a wipe when they add final dungeon and story? Been holding off playing until i can actually beat the game.

No there will not be a wipe, if you start an estate now you can continue it after the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i started playing this again after a long absence and its real good/feels a lot easier in the beginning