Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Throw it on top of your salads.

Fruit salads too

Use pom instead of cranberry sauce for Christmas, or mix it into cranberry sauce

Sorbet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I feel like they would be delicious in/on lemon bars.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

The recipes for paneer and queso fresco look the same, so a squeeze is probably the only thing separating the two

Commercial Queso Fresco will be a lot saltier then paneer fyi. Still yummy though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Does condensed milk in a tube need to be refrigerated after opening? What's the shelf life like?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Does condensed milk in a tube need to be refrigerated after opening? What's the shelf life like?

I assume you mean sweetened condensed milk? I can't imagine how unsweetened evaporated milk could possibly come in a tube. But yes, refrigerate. It's full of sugar and milk and bacteria and mold love that poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

General logistics question: I'm hosting a small gathering and I got inspired by the mezze thread, which I can't find, to make a buffet of those. What's the best way to work out how much stuff to make for a given group size? All the formulas and calculators I've found are tailored to multicourse dinner menus or large scale cooking, like cafeterias.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Figure on a pound of food total per person and you'll be fine.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So I managed to get ahold of a goose for Christmas dinner which I'm really stoked about. The problem is I've never prepared or eaten a goose before.

My plan is to roast it like a turkey with a night of brining before hand. Do you recommend that for a goose?

For turkeys I normally use a mix of apple, onion, rosemary, and sage for aromatics during the actual roasting. Will those work for goose since, I assume at least, it's a bit richer and gamier then turkey is?

And other tips and tricks I should know going in?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ManMythLegend posted:

So I managed to get ahold of a goose for Christmas dinner which I'm really stoked about. The problem is I've never prepared or eaten a goose before.

My plan is to roast it like a turkey with a night of brining before hand. Do you recommend that for a goose?

For turkeys I normally use a mix of apple, onion, rosemary, and sage for aromatics during the actual roasting. Will those work for goose since, I assume at least, it's a bit richer and gamier then turkey is?

Goose is quite fatty, you should treat it more like a big duck than a turkey. Also the rendered fat is very tasty, so make sure to save it for stuff like roasting potatoes.

Maybe some citrus flavors?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Goose is extraordinarily fatty, so make sure you cook it in a way that renders the fat properly. You can basically treat it like a duck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's funny that in A Christmas Carol all Tiny Tim wanted (other than to live, I guess) was a turkey for Christmas instead of a tough-rear end stringy goose.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They liked the goose, the problem was there were eight of them and a turkey's a lot bigger :eng101:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I'm supposed to bring a dessert to a party on friday, but I'm super super depressed and have like zero energy. What's a good simple to make dessert that's maybe slightly more sophisticated than a box cake? It's not for too many people so I can go for quality over quantity.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Semisponge posted:

I'm supposed to bring a dessert to a party on friday, but I'm super super depressed and have like zero energy. What's a good simple to make dessert that's maybe slightly more sophisticated than a box cake? It's not for too many people so I can go for quality over quantity.

Creme Brulee? You can bake them in advance, then melt the sugar over the top using a broiler or blow torch at the party.

This is the recipe my GF uses:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2745/ultimate-crme-brle-

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 16, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Semisponge posted:

Favourite low effort dessert is Eton Mess. Three elements: Whipped cream (can be fancied up by whipping with liquor), Shards of meringue and fruit (again, can be macerated in booze to fancy it up). Easy to assemble and pleases crowds.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Semisponge posted:

Wine-poached pears + ice cream. It's like no effort and hella fancy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Crème brûlée is delicious but not even close, effort-wise, to cake mix.

I would do oatmeal lace cookies spread thin, maybe shaped artsily while still warm, with varying dabs of chocolate, good jam, etc. Very little effort or time, good at room temp, nothing needed at their house.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've done this no-egg chocolate mousse a few times now, it's pretty good and takes three ingredients and near zero effort.

http://wonkywonderful.com/chocolate-mousse-recipe-egg-free/

It's best freshly made, but you can make it early and refrigerate it, which is probably what you should do if it has to travel any significant distance. That makes it a little less light. I top it with shaved chocolate or a few mini chocolate chips but there's probably other good options too. A leaf of fresh mint to garnish looks nice if you're feeling fancy.

EDIT: You can also make it start-to-finish in five minutes or so, it doesn't have to set or anything.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
What about a trifle? You can (gasp) buy an angel food cake to cube up and then layer with whipped cream (flavored with booze or extract) or pudding or whatever and fruit. It's pretty much just a tiny bit of prep and a lot of assembly and if you have a real trifle dish it looks very pretty.

Edit: also a bread pudding is very easy and very good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dino. posted:

Figure on a pound of food total per person and you'll be fine.
Cheers. There's six of us and I'm making six dishes so that just got unexpectedly easy. :v:

Actually just remembered there's cake and cookies as well so I can probably get away with a bit less.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a big container of marinara because the dickhead cookbook said to make 3 cups worth and only use a few ounces. What can I do with it that's simple and not pasta?

Maybe I will try polenta and meatballs again.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Freeze it.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Well holy loving poo poo, my stepmom made me go make rosettes with her, aka the most labor-intensive dessert you can possibly make. Guess I'm covered for friday.

PS never ever ever make rosettes you will die of boredom

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a big container of marinara because the dickhead cookbook said to make 3 cups worth and only use a few ounces. What can I do with it that's simple and not pasta?

Maybe I will try polenta and meatballs again.

Turn some into a relish/chutney using vinegar/sugar/spices

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pizza Sauce.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Anyone got a good website for someone who can't cook at all? Like complete garbage, someone who would burn water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably youtube. Search anything you want, there'll be a video on how to make it.

Also, this website! What do you want to cook? Do you have a kitchen with equipment?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Well, I got some chicken wings that I had in the freezer for a week. But the thing is that all I have is a frying pan and a gas burner and I have no idea what to do with them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Well, I got some chicken wings that I had in the freezer for a week. But the thing is that all I have is a frying pan and a gas burner and I have no idea what to do with them.

Well the obvious choice is buffalo wings. The sauce is 50/50 butter and Franks Red Hot, if I recall, which should be pretty easy to mix up :sun:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tired Moritz posted:

If you have a gas burner, do you have an oven? For a new cook, I wouldn't recommend deep frying the wings, but if you have an oven you can make some pretty drat good oven baked wings.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

feedmegin posted:

Well the obvious choice is buffalo wings. The sauce is 50/50 butter and Franks Red Hot, if I recall, which should be pretty easy to mix up :sun:

Don't you need to deepfry? It's always an hassle since I don't like wasting so much oil.

The Midniter posted:

If you have a gas burner, do you have an oven? For a new cook, I wouldn't recommend deep frying the wings, but if you have an oven you can make some pretty drat good oven baked wings.

Unfortunately, I do not have an oven, but I do have a cheap mini-oven.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cavenagh posted:

Find recipes and videos by The Hairy Bikers, Two Fat Ladies, Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall, Nigel Slater. They all pie well.

I notice a certain commonality here :britain:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Tired Moritz posted:

Gordon Ramsay: Sticky Lemon Chicken
video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mARkUax2jg0
or written down:
http://www.food.com/recipe/gordon-ramsays-sticky-lemon-chicken-301320

now, you have chicken wings, so you might want to cut them up if they are not sectioned already,
here's an instruction video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5adtSI2nTo

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 17, 2015

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Quick food safety question—I have a recipe for spiced apples I want to try for Christmas but have literally no experience jarring or preserving food. The recipe just says 'put into hot, sterile jars; seal immediately.'

What is the best way to sterilize a jar for this purpose?

How/how long can I keep leftovers after reopening?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Boil the jars in water for a few minutes. Like, completely submerged. Boil the lids and rings, too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Boil the jars in water for a few minutes. Like, completely submerged. Boil the lids and rings, too.
The standard recommendation is cover by at least an inch of water (so no part is exposed during a rolling boil) and boil for at least 10 minutes, adding another minute for every 1000' of elevation.

That said, I'm willing to bet a spiced apple recipe either has to be processed for 10 minutes or more for hot water canning or by pressure canning, and in either case just using clean jars will be sufficient. It's really something that's recipe dependent.

And that being said, all of this is only really relevant if you're planning on canning for shelf storage. If you're planning on keeping it in the fridge you don't really have to worry about it.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm cooking some 72 hour puddle short ribs for a Christmas potluck this saturday. And I can't decide on a sauce. It's a pretty casual dinner, but I still want it fairly christmasy, so I've decided to opt out of any BBQ and Asian type sauces. I was thinking maybe some kind of red wine (spicy maybe) sauce, but I have no clue what's gonna be good. If anybody can point to me to a recipe that would work well, I'd love you forever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

never happy posted:

I'm cooking some 72 hour puddle short ribs for a Christmas potluck this saturday. And I can't decide on a sauce. It's a pretty casual dinner, but I still want it fairly christmasy, so I've decided to opt out of any BBQ and Asian type sauces. I was thinking maybe some kind of red wine (spicy maybe) sauce, but I have no clue what's gonna be good. If anybody can point to me to a recipe that would work well, I'd love you forever.

Osso Buco. http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com/2012/10/10/osso-buco-style-braised-short-ribs/ It's something my friend's grandma would make, it's amazing. Note, I've not had the chance to try this recipe myself, but it looks about right.

Back a page-ish to simple deserts, nothing better then a Crumble. He're one I did:

Fill:
4 apples, chopped
1/4 fresh pineapple (or 1 14oz can DRAINED)
1/2 c. brown sugar
Pinch of Salt
Shake of 5 Spice Powder
(optional) 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger

Top:
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. rolled oats or quick oats
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 c. white sugar

Grease a 9"x9" pan OR 10" x 1-1/2" round pie plate. Pre-Heat oven to 375.

Chop apples and skinned pineapple (I found the core pieces work great in this), toss in brown sugar, salt, spices and grated ginger. Put in greased pan. Mix all topping stuff in bowl until combined. Spread evenly over fruit. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whip cream.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 18, 2015

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Any tips for roasting a rib of beef? I'd describe my cooking ability as totally adequate, but the only beef I've done has been steak or a little roasting joint for myself and my partner. The beef rib is going to be for 8 people on Christmas Day so I want to make sure I get it right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bollock Monkey posted:

Any tips for roasting a rib of beef? I'd describe my cooking ability as totally adequate, but the only beef I've done has been steak or a little roasting joint for myself and my partner. The beef rib is going to be for 8 people on Christmas Day so I want to make sure I get it right!

See here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

And a sauce to serve with it: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/sauced-horseradish-cream-sauce.html