Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
I'm not sure I understand all the TSA hate. I live in the greater DC area, I would 100% get on with them if I got the IAD base and it meant not commuting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The Senate has passed the PBOR 2. Up next: the house.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Senate-Passes-Medical-Reform-Bill-225373-1.html?platform=hootsuite

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Given it cleared the Senate by unanimous consent and has 152 cosponsors in the House (what a perfect number and a bit over 1/3 of the House), it seems likely to pass there, although the real danger is running out of time.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

PT6A posted:

3 separate instances of going off the runway at CYOW. You'd figure after the first two, they'd have some kind of company wide notice about "hey, be really loving careful in Ottawa guys, this is getting embarrassing!"

They still have nothing on Southwest who are the undisputed champs of running off taxiways/runways. Although having said that, it's been a while since Southwe......hold on.......nope, nevermind: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/16/southwest-airlines-plane-reportedly-skids-off-runway-at-nashville-airport/

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

So, I looked up this airline.

3 separate instances of going off the runway at CYOW. You'd figure after the first two, they'd have some kind of company wide notice about "hey, be really loving careful in Ottawa guys, this is getting embarrassing!"

To add to it, I believe all three incidents were hydroplaning. Their callsign is Waterski...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Caution wake turbulence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlv16ETueU

Remember, the condition that most exacerbates a wake turbulence encounter is when you're following an aircraft that's:

Heavy
Clean Configuration
and Slow

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Caution wake turbulence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlv16ETueU

Remember, the condition that most exacerbates a wake turbulence encounter is when you're following an aircraft that's:

Heavy
Clean Configuration
and Slow

Always good to see reminders like this. I would not have guessed an AN-2 would create such strong wake turbulence.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

sleepy gary posted:

Always good to see reminders like this. I would not have guessed an AN-2 would create such strong wake turbulence.

Every other flight at altitude we usually manage to find a minor bump caused by wake turbulence. When you find it low level in the pattern like this poor guy it is no longer minor...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
And the FAA is working to decrease wake turbulence separation standards at many airports:

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=18676

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Rickety Cricket posted:

I'm not sure I understand all the TSA hate. I live in the greater DC area, I would 100% get on with them if I got the IAD base and it meant not commuting.

Bueller... Bueller... Fry... Fry...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

Bueller... Bueller... Fry... Fry...

I'll take this one.

It's a company with a business model to severely underbid other carriers, and then hope to staff the flying with pilots chasing those jets for a quick upgrade. So you will be flying with unsavory people who voted no on concessions for their previous job, only to jump ship once they see the repercussions and/or a quick upgrade path. I know a few. The work rules are poo poo and you will be an instrument of the whiplash. Be prepared to fly with captains with minimal experience, under pressure from management. Your ticket will also be on the line so you better hope those captains don't make bad decisions. They have a relatively bad safety and customer satisfaction record, so good luck.

But if they have a base where you live, go for it. QOL trumps all, and commuting is the #1 enemy of QOL, beyond everything I have mentioned.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

And the FAA is working to decrease wake turbulence separation standards at many airports:

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=18676

You getting Time Based Separation too?

http://www.nats.aero/tbs/

They rolled it out after the trial prove ok (interestingly it means they pretty much always have to make sure they have a headwind now as tailwinds cock things up!)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

You getting Time Based Separation too?

http://www.nats.aero/tbs/

They rolled it out after the trial prove ok (interestingly it means they pretty much always have to make sure they have a headwind now as tailwinds cock things up!)

Not that I've heard.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Animal posted:

I'll take this one.

It's a company with a business model to severely underbid other carriers, and then hope to staff the flying with pilots chasing those jets for a quick upgrade. So you will be flying with unsavory people who voted no on concessions for their previous job, only to jump ship once they see the repercussions and/or a quick upgrade path. I know a few. The work rules are poo poo and you will be an instrument of the whiplash. Be prepared to fly with captains with minimal experience, under pressure from management. Your ticket will also be on the line so you better hope those captains don't make bad decisions. They have a relatively bad safety and customer satisfaction record, so good luck.

But if they have a base where you live, go for it. QOL trumps all, and commuting is the #1 enemy of QOL, beyond everything I have mentioned.

Thanks for the info. I'm still a couple years from a regional but trying to be as informed as possible

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Why would you want to stress yourself out?

It'll all change in 4 years anyway.

PILOT SHORTAGE

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Why would you want to stress yourself out?

It'll all change in 4 years anyway.

PILOT SHORTAGE

This. In 4 years the situation will be completely changed, who knows how. TSA with their lovely contract will probably not even be in your radar then.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm starting my PP training soon, and had a question about what supplies I should get.

Specifically, I would like to do as much as possible via apps / iPad and not paper. I hate paper.

Which apps should I plan on purchasing now vs later? Ideally things that sync to iCloud or Dropbox would be best for backup / longevity reasons.

Thanks!

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I'm starting my PP training soon, and had a question about what supplies I should get.

Specifically, I would like to do as much as possible via apps / iPad and not paper. I hate paper.

Which apps should I plan on purchasing now vs later? Ideally things that sync to iCloud or Dropbox would be best for backup / longevity reasons.

Thanks!

The answer is foreflight. But, you should know that a lot of people will tell you that you should learn the paper way first.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You're still going to deal with a lot of paper, but here goes.

Buy Foreflight along with the geo-reference subscription. It's an extra hand to hold while learning taxiway diagrams and instrument approach.

Buy a paper sectional to play with and to learn how to plot long flights. Use Foreflight once that expires to save money on paper charts until you have to buy one again. You might get away with using only Foreflight and never having to buy an AFD or plate book. Learn how to read an AFD online anyways. it's pretty simple. Plates on the iPad are going to be the same so you're fine there.

You're still going to need an E6b and plotter. also buy a knee board, plenty of pads, and 500 pens. Put 10 pens in your flight bag, one in your pocket, one in your headset case, you get the idea. it's funny to watch student pilots get caught with their pants down and their pen somewhere that they can't find it.

Buy a paper copy of the far/aim, private pilot PTS, pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge, and airplane flying handbook. These books specifically. They're FAA certified and you can use them on your checkride, including things you write/highlight in them. It isn't cheating and they like to see that you put the effort into learning how to reference these things. Buy little tabs and highlighters for your far/aim. It's the most boring book ever but if you come to your checkride with yours all tabbed out and you know how to find things, you're getting a gold star.

Buy a comfortable headset. Emphasize comfort over price. I originally used some hand me down David Clarks and they were fine.

UV blocking sunglasses. Cheap lovely sunglasses are worse for your eyes than no sunglasses. Also sunscreen for your face. Also a hat.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Don't succumb to Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Buy only what is necessary. I also recommend Foreflight. Don't buy $1k headsets, just get something comfy. Buy the $1k headset later on if you are gonna work in loud planes for a living (I did this too late and now I will have tinnitus for the rest of my life.) Always spend your money on flying, not un-essential gear, unless you are rich. If you are rich, buy your flight instructor a nice gift when you get your license.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Don't succumb to Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Buy only what is necessary. I also recommend Foreflight. Don't buy $1k headsets, just get something comfy. Buy the $1k headset later on if you are gonna work in loud planes for a living (I did this too late and now I will have tinnitus for the rest of my life.) Always spend your money on flying, not un-essential gear, unless you are rich. If you are rich, buy your flight instructor a nice gift when you get your license.

... And this wicked sick Garmin aviation GPS watch.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Animal posted:

I only disagree regarding the headset.

Buy the 1k headset. The resell value of the headset, coupled with the hearing protection you have while wearing it, far outweigh any negatives in my opinion.

There was a $600 used bose headset available when I started my training in 2009. It was night and day on my abilities, I think.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lots of instructors out there (the good, old ones that aren't still using a training razor) are going to demand you leave your iPad and fore flight in the bag for a big part of your Private training. You can leave that till later.

You'll probably want to get a headset. Some flight schools will have loaners that you can use, but they're generally junk, and you're going to want your own in short order. I won't go through this, because it should definitely be the most expensive thing you buy for flying, and is a really personal decision.

Get a kneeboard. A cheap one. This one has VFR stuff on it, they make one for the same price with IFR info on it. If you're planning on getting your IFR ticket, I'd get that one, and just memorize the VFR data. (Which you'll be doing for the PP written, anyway.) I even clip my iPad to this. It's not ideal, but it's fine until I decide I want to upgrade to a real knee-iPad mount.

Put two pencils and a half-way decent disposable pen in the kneeboard. Clip a small, blank (like a cop or reporter would use) notebook to the kneeboard, big enough to write ATIS info and taxi instructions on. (The pen is for logbooks and rental stuff, the pencils are for while-flying stuff.)

Get a decent small flashlight; MiniMag-Lites are great. Put batteries in it, throw an extra set in the bag. If you can locate a small hand-operated (cranked or pumped) emergency flashlight, that's a good addition too.

Other things you are going to need are a local sectional, or possibly two if you're on a boundary, possibly a TAC chart if you're in or near a super busy terminal area, a fuel sample cup, and a laminated checklist for the model of aircraft you'll be flying. You'll get all of these from the flight school or FBO you fly with. (The fuel sample cup might be provided as part of the aircraft equipment.)

Congrats, this is all you NEED to start your PP. you'll be better equipped than 90% of ab-initio students, and won't be lugging around a big bag of fragile, expensive poo poo that you won't be using, anyway. Leave the iPad at home until you talk to the instructor about his preference between it and paper charts. Get an E6B when you need it. (After your solo, when you start cross-countries.) at that point, your instructor might just let you enter the 21st century.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I forgot to recommend the knee board that has VFR info written on in like Yenko said. The only hiccup I had on my commercial checkride oral was when he asked me to talk about light gun signals, which I didn't know at the time.

I stared at him for about 5 seconds before just saying "I don't remember, but I have them on my knee board?"

"Ok, good, moving on."

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dexter6 posted:

Thanks!

Start with the basics, paper charts, e6b, and a plotter. You can't use your iPad for the written, and need to know how to do paper stuff for the written, so you might as well learn. It's not hard, just tedious, and you should know how to do it.

Don't be a direct to magenta line follower. iPads are great a great tool, but don't belong in private training. Save it for post ppl check ride and instrument training.

source: I am a CFI

The three big apps are Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, and WingX, take your pic of what you like. I personally use Garmin.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Using paper isn't even that tedious. I decided against the pilot career path and decided to become a software developer, and even so, I have to say that there's certain things that paper is simply better and faster for.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do iPads ever crash?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CharlesM posted:

Do iPads ever crash?

Not as such, no. Apps certainly do, but it should be pretty infrequent for something that's been tested properly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CharlesM posted:

Do iPads ever crash?

Yep, though you're more likely to see it overheat and shut down until it cools off. I use my phone as a backup if that ever happens, and stick the iPad out of the sun until it cools
off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Yep, though you're more likely to see it overheat and shut down until it cools off. I use my phone as a backup if that ever happens, and stick the iPad out of the sun until it cools
off.

Jesus Christ, really? That must be a really poorly coded app, I've never seen or heard of anything like that happening, even as a developer.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, really? That must be a really poorly coded app, I've never seen or heard of anything like that happening, even as a developer.

It's not the app, it's the ipad (or even iphone). Mine has overheated several times when I left it in my car. Never had it happen in the air, though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Take an iPad in an already hot environment and stick it in direct sun with brightness all the way up running anything and it'll overheat.

It doesn't happen every time, but it happens often enough it should be kept in mind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Take an iPad in an already hot environment and stick it in direct sun with brightness all the way up running anything and it'll overheat.

It doesn't happen every time, but it happens often enough it should be kept in mind.

For that matter, have you noticed any problems with reduced battery life in a cold cockpit? If I leave my iPod in my car, and the car isn't in a heated garage/parkade, it will simply fail to start after a few hours, and the battery life on my iPhone plummets if I'm outside in the winter (I've had it turn off when the battery indicator still shows 25%).

I like paper.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CharlesM posted:

Do iPads ever crash?

Our app crashes if we're connected to our jet's wifi when it shuts itself off at 10k feet. I just go back to airplane mode if I remember on the descent, or I just reload the app, which takes 2 seconds.

We also have a charger and are required to have 2 working iPads on board for our program, so there's never been an issue. We have enough avionics onboard to where losing an iPad isn't an emergency even if it did happen.

Student pilots alone in a small plane, however, should never use it as more than an additional resource.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Don't think anybody addressed Test Prep materials. Go Gleim. The Gleim books (which are, in most cases regardless of book, (if you read anything, read the bolded because it's one of the best things about flight training) the actual questions and answers on the actual written), are much better laid out than their ASA counterparts which (at least in 2009) are cluttered and dumb as hell (though ASA does give you the graphical supplement book which is a plus).

If you prefer e-learning, Gleim has an online program which allows you to log in anywhere, read outlines, and track your progress on an unlimited number of study sessions and practice tests (programmed to be similar to CATS and whatever the other test site is). I did the books for Private, Instrument, and Commercial ground school before trying online for my AGI and both have their pros and cons. I'm big into stats and performance, so I love the reviews and ongoing record of my studying. Online is more expensive and you only get a one-year subscription, but the updates to the book and questions are automatic (during my course of study, the FAA yanked NDB information and added more DME stuff as a replacement. They didn't update the questions until I emailed them, at which point they got them up.)

In terms of paper vs. electronic E6Bs and navigation tools, you're going to need to know how to do things manually. I've been fighting the urge to buy a (replacement; my ASA one died randomly) electronic E6B for ease-of-test-taking purposes for my AGI, but am taking into account if I'm gonna teach it, I need to brush up on the Whiz Wheel.

One online tool I haven't seen anybody talk about yet is DUATS and Golden Eagle Flight Prep (if they still have it). My Instrument check instructor required a hand-made flight plan for the dummy IFR cross-country EXCEPT if you used DUATS to set it up, at which point he'd accept whatever it spat out because it was trustworthy/reliable/government-issued, whatever. Your mileage may vary on if your check instructor will allow it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 21, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I forgot one thing for the aspiring private pilot.

Stick and Rudder.

Just buy it. You'll thank me later.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

I forgot one thing for the aspiring private pilot.

Stick and Rudder.

Just buy it. You'll thank me later.

Can stress this enough.

PT6A posted:

For that matter, have you noticed any problems with reduced battery life in a cold cockpit? If I leave my iPod in my car, and the car isn't in a heated garage/parkade, it will simply fail to start after a few hours, and the battery life on my iPhone plummets if I'm outside in the winter (I've had it turn off when the battery indicator still shows 25%).

I like paper.

Just the nature of lithium ion batteries unfortunately. I still keep some outdated charts in my bag should things completely hit the fan and iPad and phone give up on me.

Also, love me some E6B, learn how to straight up multiply and divide on it. Once you have that down it makes the rest of the stuff it does so much easier to understand and remember.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 21, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

e.pilot posted:

Can stress this enough.

Just the nature of lithium ion batteries unfortunately. I still keep some outdated charts in my bag should things completely hit the fan and iPad and phone give up on me.

Also, love me some E6B, learn how to straight up multiply and divide on it. Once you have that down it makes the rest of the stuff it does so much easier to understand and remember.

CR-2 (or 3 if you have big pockets) supremacy

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

This is a great book, and is one of the many I read when I was doing my pilot training. Also there's a good (and free) online "book" that I think covers a lot of good principles from a little more of the science/physics background of flight: https://www.av8n.com/how/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

overdesigned posted:

CR-2 (or 3 if you have big pockets) supremacy

When I still fly little planes I appear to be one of the few people at the aero club who knows how to use a whizz wheel to plan and get out of the manure (yup, we learnt to use them in flight).

Also, when doing nav... Please god draw wind vectors on your chart.... 1000, 2000, & 5000 FT. Then when you get told dead reckon you have an easy correction, also you know which way visually you should be being blown.

Also, I second get a good old nav instructor, the way you draw a log line on charts etc is make or break... Includes drift lines... If interested I can try and dig out photos/make an example.

Learn to do it using paper, then learn to use electrics... But 1 flight in 5 do it manually... Hey, we still do manual load sheets for the practice on some of our mid-long range flights... Africa...

Also, re headsets. Seinnheiser do some relatively cheap noise cancelling headsets that may be worth it depending on the plane... Either battery powered (think for old Boeing/Cessna ) or 5-pin (think Airbus/Diamond)

• Locked thread