Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Uf... Ras is tempting, since it'd be my first decent gun... but the last set of FF3 dungeons was pretty rough, they'll only get worse from now on, and there's very little help out there, synergy-wise. I'll go with that Tyrfing... The sharpshooters will have to make do with the 5 daggers I have for a bit longer.

fake edit: got one rainbow orb.... Mystery Veil. Wheeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
In fairness the last Orbfest Experience was totally OP

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Honestly I'm gonna go for Ras just because of all the OP whisperings I've been hearing about Balthier.

I have Vegas, but that's not really a free gun since it's gonna stay on Sazh.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've got Dark Sword and plenty of other swords so I'm not going that route. I have the generic no SB FFV staff and two caster rods already. I guess I'll try out this book then since I don't have any of the other ones yet.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I too am most likely going to hold off. FF3 synergy would be nice, but I'd rather gamble on two things I'd really love in the rift event.

That second SSB banner has "THROW MYTHRIL AT ME" written all over it.

Can't wait to not pull a Sentinel Grimoire.

Shoenin posted:

In fairness the last Orbfest Experience was totally OP

yeah but for now it's still the superior option six out of seven days of the week. :v:

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

e: double post, i'm stupid

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Yeah the Exp on these is really super disappointing. 20 stamina for ~25k exp on + is better than average but only 1/4 of what you get out of Sundaily. Guess we won't be using this event to level up a bunch of dudes after all, hell if every phase is this bad I might go back to Sundaily when that rolls around. Obviously still worth playing through to get all the orb rewards and stamina, and worth doing over any other daily anyway.

MotU posted:

None of the choices really stick out to me so I am probably going to get the Dark Sword just because my IV Synergy is super lacking

I think I'm going to do the same thing, my FF4 synergy is balls and I need a better sword to clean out the last of the story Elites that I haven't cleared. Tempted by the Storm Staff because I only have one natural 5* rod so another would be nice too.

Sure as gently caress not pulling on this banner until after all the special Soul Break banners tho.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Mingus Dew posted:

That second SSB banner has "THROW MYTHRIL AT ME" written all over it.

Can't wait to not pull a Sentinel Grimoire.

yeah but for now it's still the superior option six out of seven days of the week. :v:

Wouldn't the first one be a better THROW MYTHRIL AT ME target since it has Thyrus on it?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've only gotten three 5* items in 7 11 pulls.

:negative:

Reduced XP kind of sucks but honestly after the last orb fest and Egg Day I'm not really hurting for experience at all. I could certainly use some orbs though because I'm nowhere near being able to take on Omega at this point despite being able to (mostly) easily clear everything else so far.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Ras is kinda eh to be honest

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

You could argue that SG is a superior item to Thyrus since Tyro gets his MC2 in this event and is far more versatile. These things matter when attempting ultimate fights and event quests where ability slots are at a premium.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

Wouldn't the first one be a better THROW MYTHRIL AT ME target since it has Thyrus on it?

With Tyro's MC2 right around the corner those 15 levels + his I CAN EQUIP ANYTHING versatility make it a better option imo.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shoenin posted:

Ras is kinda eh to be honest

I got it when it first came out in the dollar pull and it may be tied to a (currently) not very useful character and have a dumb soul break but having a 5 star gun is pretty great. Lightning holding it in an FFXII realm is a beast.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Mingus Dew posted:

With Tyro's MC2 right around the corner those 15 levels + his I CAN EQUIP ANYTHING versatility make it a better option imo.

I mean I run both Tyro and Y'sholta for hard dungeons and have both Sentinel's Grimoire ++ and the Thyrus, so I have the versatility of two characters to pick for my "don't die" SB.

Also Balthier just got buffed to have 4* spellblades and the ability to use swords, he's like a Bartz that can use guns now.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

I mean I run both Tyro and Y'sholta for hard dungeons and have both Sentinel's Grimoire ++ and the Thyrus, so I have the versatility of two characters to pick for my "don't die" SB.

Also Balthier just got buffed to have 4* spellblades and the ability to use swords, he's like a Bartz that can use guns now.

I don't particularly suffer for ranged weaponry (a few 5* ++ bows, Fujin's Chakram, Ice Whip, Dagger Toss) so I'm not terribly sold on Ras Algethi.

If I was going to use Balthier, his next relic (10 hits + dodge two attacks) is FAR more interesting to me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Beasteh posted:

You could argue that SG is a superior item to Thyrus since Tyro gets his MC2 in this event and is far more versatile. These things matter when attempting ultimate fights and event quests where ability slots are at a premium.

If SG was on the Beginner Draw I'd pull right away and pick Stormlance.

Heck when I do inevitably pull and I get HG I might still pick Stormlance.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Figures that my first amazing banner pull (4 5*!) comes on a completely garbage banner. Still not gonna complain about extra synergy (even if two of them are HG and Wakka's Ball). The free Valkyrie is nice since Rinoa is the only BLM with an MC2 for a long time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mingus Dew posted:

If I was going to use Balthier, his next relic (10 hits + dodge two attacks) is FAR more interesting to me.

Yeah but you can't guarantee getting it.

Also even with those +15 levels Tyro will still have lovely stats

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well this beginner banner hosed me royally. I pulled on it as soon as I saw it since I knew I wanted a Butterfly Sword really badly.

Then find out after that 50 mythril has been blown that the list has been changed.

So now I'm on 15 mythril and need to somehow find a way to balance event farming and mythril stockpiling for later banners. As for what to pull from the free list... I'm leaning mainly towards the Storm Staff. The Valkyrie could be cool but I already have a Rising Sun for Rinoa. None of the rest particularly seem great for what I'm looking for.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Turk Suit, Dragon Armlet and ICE WHIP! People might poo poo what came out of this, but I will edit this post soon with my code because I'm joining the advance club.

Oh, and Raiden rules so I am stoked to get her whip.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It's not that long until Terra's MC2, is it?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I got my Tyrfing. I was really hoping for an Ice Whip from the banner, but I'm okay with a Dragon Armlet, especially with this FF7 event. Rather have the Dragon Armlet than (another) Blood Lance, Official Ball, or Healing Grimoire.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but you can't guarantee getting it.

Also even with those +15 levels Tyro will still have lovely stats

I went to directly compare lv.65 Y'shtola and lv.80 Tyro to see what the discrepancy is like, and it's kind of strange - 39 less mind makes him a worse healer, but 1837 more HP, and 29 more DEF (but 19 less RES.) He's certainly a lot less squishy, and with better equip / ability options (at the cost of not being focused for anything).

Of course, that's strictly a "which Wall should I pull for" comparison. You compare him to lv.80 Sephiroth and he has 79 less attack :downs:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

Bell_ posted:

Turk Suit, Dragon Armlet and ICE WHIP! People might poo poo what came out of this, but I will edit this post soon with my code because I'm joining the advance club.

Oh, and Raiden rules so I am stoked to get her whip.

5* Light armor with a resistance to posion, Bracer with Shellga, and Mage weapon that adds damage. Thats a very good draw and only poopyheads would poo that.
and yes, RAIDEN of Mist is awesome

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Mingus Dew posted:

Just in case you're curious, here's heroic vs. +:

If you're doing this solely for XP, it may be more cost efficient to run Heroic instead. Otherwise the deciding factor is the difference in drop rates between the two, which I have no idea about.

Did either of those runs have cactaurs in them? I think they gently caress up the exp distribution.

If not, then + sucks jesus.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
EXP seems to be the exact same for each dungeon no matter what mix of enemies it has... like the Gold Saucer event was, IIRC. EXP nerfing aside, Cactuars do seem to show up quite often in the +... noticeably more often than Magic Jars. Unless I'm having weird luck, though it would make sense for them to take the lack of Greaters dropped by the normal trash into account.

My first two Gigantuar fights got me Major orbs, and for a minute I thought they changed it so Majors were guaranteed from them. Unfortunately, that WAS just weird luck :v:

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Aerox posted:

Did either of those runs have cactaurs in them? I think they gently caress up the exp distribution.

If not, then + sucks jesus.

I think they both did. My best guess is like SuperHappy said - + likely gives you a better chance of cactuars popping but I can't confirm or deny that. :v:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
What's the ideal stamina to walk into an event like this? With the xp nerfed, I remember that I am way back in main realm progression to the point I don't even have BM or Summoner MC's yet and between that and grabbing more stamina stones might make something I need to split my attention on.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I got zero 5* on the beginner's banner. At least I got Tyrfing as a consolation prize. Kinda lame that they took out the healer robes as I was hoping I'd get literally any AOE healing relic out of this, but I guess not.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

lame cutting the xp on the orb thing probably not gonna bother with it past first clears now. i think my time is probably winding down with the game, cant even give a gently caress about easy orbs

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So my question is, can I do the free 11-pull and save the freebie for later? Or do I have to burn the freebie after the pull.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

OK, have we officially reached the "Advance is no longer scarce as a RW" tipping point now? Literally everyone has the chance to get it now.

Sounds like the new Stormlance Grimoire is terrible, Japan isn't missing much.

Actually might go for Lenna's staff. The SB kinda sucks, but she can use Mass Regen anyway, and I'm really just looking for some kind of WHM weapon. Garnet's might be the better option though. I should probably sit on it, despite the impulse to start using up some of this Mythril I have stashed.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

widespread posted:

So my question is, can I do the free 11-pull and save the freebie for later? Or do I have to burn the freebie after the pull.

Looks like you can save the freebie up until the banner ends in October of next year, at which point you will get a random selection if you haven't taken one yet.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

widespread posted:

I think, according to the announcement, you can save it? But if you haven't redeemed it by 9/30/16, then it gives you a random pick instead. But why not just save the mythril until you know which item you want, and can get the immediate benefit of that spending? Otherwise you could be putting it towards other banners with better items, like the SSB banners next week.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

potaties posted:

I think, according to the announcement, you can save it? But if you haven't redeemed it by 9/30/16, then it gives you a random pick instead. But why not just save the mythril until you know which item you want, and can get the immediate benefit of that spending? Otherwise you could be putting it towards other banners with better items, like the SSB banners next week.

Because I habitually drop a single pull on any banner, with special mentions to any and all VIII banners. It's because a VIII banner was my first trip into the joys of the gacha of course.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I'm a little bummed our selection was nerfed for the Beginner Banner choices, as I would have picked up Zidane's FFIX double sword for realm synergy. Then I realized we will probably skip every FFIII banner and since I have even less synergy in that realm, taking Tyrfing was probably a better choice overall. We will get more, and better, FFIX gear in the near and far future.

Though I do feel bad for the people who were looking forward to a good mage sword or healer robes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

You can sit on the freebie after you've spent the 50 mythril on the 11 pull. I'm doing so right now since I immediately pulled without knowing the item list was changed for the US and I'm unsure what I wanna grab.

Sigh.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

widespread posted:

Because I habitually drop a single pull on any banner, with special mentions to any and all VIII banners. It's because a VIII banner was my first trip into the joys of the gacha of course.

I guess that's ok. My problem is that, since I can't decide, and the relics from the banner are mediocre to bad (some of the picks are decent but are going to get outclassed fast), I see myself waiting until the banner is about to expire, and I ask myself "do I want to put 50 mythril try and get a blitzball and some FF3 synergy, or do I want to try for the current running BSSB?" and just going for the latter.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Yeah, I'm pretty torn. I'm actually thinking that maybe I want to get that Dusk Lance. I sure could use a good lance, and a good FF10 weapon, and I'm not obligated to use it with Kihmari. Tyrfing is of course good for synergy as well, and that Ninja Chainmail is all around good. The Grimoire is nice, but I'm not sure what great combos exist that gets me mileage out of it.

Edit: 11 pull got me Healing Grimoire :(

Sesq fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Find it pretty funny to hear people saying they'll pick the Ras Algethi for a 5 star gun, when I have all three unique Soul Break guns.

I'm torn between Tyfrng, Healing Staff, and Storm Staff.

Tyrfng is 3 Synergy. But it's Another Sword when I have three 5 star swords already. I lack a White Mage l Relic, so thinking about those two as well. Healing Staff would be great for pure White Mage, but Storm Staff would work well for the Sages and WHM/SMNs I have

• Locked thread