Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

Is there some way we can jam online?
I think there is, I need to look into it, don't worry, I suck!

The mentioned latency seems like it would be a huge butthole thrown into the mix but I'd totally be down to collaborate on something sometime after the new year. Might be a pretty good idea actually, it has been forever since I've done that even half seriously.

I do have some research ahead of me when it comes to micing up a resonator. I don't imagine it's too simple with how loud and in your face they can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also, today I learned that DiMarzio has a patent on sticking a bit of plastic into a clear box at an angle to turn it into a nice merchandise display box. If you look at a DiMarzio pickup box from the side and it lists a patent number, that's literally what the patent is.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i wish i could turn my .052 into a .060 with some kind of lever

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's a really weird feeling to come back to a song you gave up on years ago and be completely unable to find what was so difficult about it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Shugojin posted:

Also, today I learned that DiMarzio has a patent on sticking a bit of plastic into a clear box at an angle to turn it into a nice merchandise display box. If you look at a DiMarzio pickup box from the side and it lists a patent number, that's literally what the patent is.

Pretty sure they have a trademark or copyright on the initials PAF. Which is kind of funny considering it's a common abbreviation for someone else's patent.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Shugojin posted:

It's a really weird feeling to come back to a song you gave up on years ago and be completely unable to find what was so difficult about it.

Hello 'Tornado of Souls'. I am playing that little intro around the Bm scale and my fingers are literally flying to where they need to be in perfect time with the record.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

That's what happens when you learn you poo poo and have practiced. Hallowed Be Thy Name used to kill me when I was a teenager but now I can't play it unless I'm going doubletime because it's so boring to play now at tempo.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

Pacificas are supposed to be pretty good but I've never played one. I generally like Yamaha, they make good products and seem to be getting even more serious about guitar lately. I just hope they learn how to advertise and push their products because they never do well on that front at all.

I just remembered, when I used to play bass a lot I lusted after a Yamaha Billy Sheehan bass, but could never afford it. Or even see one in person, but still.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
My first guitar after playing bass for years was a Pacifica 311 Tele. Threw the High Power For Telecaster from SD in the bridge... and promptly forgot about it when I got my LP. Wish I'd appreciated it more, it was a comfy, smooth machine that has been out on loan for a few years now.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Do you guys have your own tone? How did you come to finally settle on a given play style or amp/pedal combination?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Southern Heel posted:

Do you guys have your own tone? How did you come to finally settle on a given play style or amp/pedal combination?

When it comes down to it, any tone you will be your tone, its just whether its "good" or not. As a lot of people here will say, its not just gear but play style, it's in the hands, the way you pick and the way you fret. If my brother and I both play the same riff through his rig on his guitar, with his choice of pick and not changing any of his pedal/amp settings it will still sound very different.

A player's style will (well, should) always be evolving as they practice; notes will sound clearer, string changes will get more smooth. I play a lot of metal but if I decided tomorrow I wanted to strictly play surf then my tremolo picking etc can still be applied to it and it would still sound like 'me'.

Gear wise, initially guitarists will look at what the players who inspire them use and use that as a starting point: If you like jazz you could get a hollow body, but this would not be optimal if you have a boner for shredders like Steve Vai, you'd want an Ibanez or similar.

Don't read any of this as being dickish, its a very open ended question you asked there.

I'm using an amp sim at the moment as I live in a flat, so whilst my tone currently is emulations of 1000's of pounds worth of gear if I were to use my actual hardware I still have at my parents' (electro harmonix metal muff, vox time machine delay and Peavey Bandit 112) with as similar settings as my digital stuff I'd sound similar but different.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 18, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

Yes and it's "what I could afford."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Turn on all the pedals.

Start turning them off until it starts to sound good. :v:

But seriously, the rule I've stuck with is "less is more". Start with your main guitar and an amp that you love, add a boost/od/eq/compressor before the amp input until you're happy with just having that 1 pedal on while adjusting every knob on everything and know that setup back to front and how to get different sounds from minimal tweaking or even better using just your fingers. Then add a wah and a delay and get them sounding the way you want with everything. Then add a fuzz and/or distortion. Last IMO is modulation/octave. Don't be afraid to put stuff where it usually doesn't go in the chain and experiment with different configurations, or try odd things to get familiar sounds like using a ring mod as your octave for example.

Skip anything that you know you don't want in the chain or move stuff to the front if it's going to be important, but always go for simplicity unless you're name is Kevin Shields.

Also listen to every pedal's demo before you buy if you can't demo it yourself. Boutique 99% of the time = Boss/Digitech/MXR at twice the price for like 1 more feature you probably don't need. The only pedal that doesn't apply to is that first one and maybe one more in your chain if you really fall in love with it but usually I try to limit myself to 1 pedal per manufacturer so I only get what I need long term instead of what sounds good for 5 minutes. Don't be afraid to splurge on something though if you really think the other 1000+ people using it won't use it the exact way you would with very similar gear or it has "that sound" to you.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 18, 2015

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
On that tip, a (half decent) multi-fx like the Boss ME series is a great thing if you are just starting out, can find what sort of pedals you like and can get better specific ones. Tgey tend to hold their value pretty well too. If there's a particular guitarist whose sound you like, just Google their name and 'gear' or 'rig' and it's pretty likely you can find a list of their guitars, amps, pedals.

Certain pedals/amps are hallmarks of certain genres, if you want Swedish Death Metal then the Boss HM2 is all you need, if you want to get more shoegazey then delays and reverbs are your friends. In my opinion a decent sounding distortion/overdrive pedal and a delay are pretty much the essentials to cover a lot of bases. Practicing scales with a bit of delay is so much more gratifying, just make sure you aren't using so much its masking mistakes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Also listen to every pedal's demo before you buy if you can't demo it yourself. Boutique 99% of the time = Boss/Digitech/MXR at twice the price for like 1 more feature you probably don't need. The only pedal that doesn't apply to is that first one and maybe one more in your chain if you really fall in love with it but usually I try to limit myself to 1 pedal per manufacturer so I only get what I need long term instead of what sounds good for 5 minutes. Don't be afraid to splurge on something though if you really think the other 1000+ people using it won't use it the exact way you would with very similar gear or it has "that sound" to you.

There's a weird line on boutique stuff though, sometimes it really does just nail a specific bit of voice easily or whatever. They're also probably the better way to get some pedals. One example I can think of is the HM2 since Boss stopped making them and the only clone I'm aware of is the Behringer one that is apparently pretty noisy. Your other bet there is ebay. I keep thinking I want one and I'm probably gonna go the byoc route so I can have a fun solder day and then get another pedal. :toot:

e: Mostly I keep being very slightly dissatisfied by my distortion pedals but I'm pretty sure this is related to my tubes being on the way out so first thing up is a full replacement in the next couple weeks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Southern Heel posted:

Not exactly. I wish, I guess I jump around between different ideas and styles too much, plus I'm mostly still chasing in the footsteps of my favorite artists and not really composing on my own so much.

I've got a few tone patches I've come up with which I really like and I think sound pretty unique, and I may even try to build a pedal to match the effect, but I wouldn't really say its "my" tone so much.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For me good tone comes from a good clean sound.
If I can get that beautiful clean valve sound that breaks up when I want it to by play pressure alone then I am pretty much there.
Then from there it's about using the neck or bridge pickups as and when needed, so I'll find a clean sound that breaks up at will, then put the bridge pickup at full volume, the neck at maybe 6, that way I get a good variety of sounds with out doing anything else.
A clean but driven bridge pickup takes you all the way to AC DC if you want it to, or imo it should be able to, but play it softly and it just sounds sweet and clear.

That's the base for my sound, that setup then takes overdrive pedals well, I don't skimp on the mids, lower the resonance a bit and presence up a touch.

From there on out it's personal preference ahoy really I spose, it's such a personal subject!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

The mentioned latency seems like it would be a huge butthole thrown into the mix but I'd totally be down to collaborate on something sometime after the new year. Might be a pretty good idea actually, it has been forever since I've done that even half seriously.

I do have some research ahead of me when it comes to micing up a resonator. I don't imagine it's too simple with how loud and in your face they can be.

I was at an open mic tonight and got talking to this guy:

Note the guitar!
Was very nice actually, very weighty and sounded really good.
Honeydipper, I think I might have to!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shugojin posted:

There's a weird line on boutique stuff though, sometimes it really does just nail a specific bit of voice easily or whatever. They're also probably the better way to get some pedals. One example I can think of is the HM2 since Boss stopped making them and the only clone I'm aware of is the Behringer one that is apparently pretty noisy. Your other bet there is ebay. I keep thinking I want one and I'm probably gonna go the byoc route so I can have a fun solder day and then get another pedal. :toot:

e: Mostly I keep being very slightly dissatisfied by my distortion pedals but I'm pretty sure this is related to my tubes being on the way out so first thing up is a full replacement in the next couple weeks

Yeah, I demoed a ton of od/distortion pedals before narrowing it down to the SD-1W or MXR 77, but then I reordered my chain with totally re-doing the settings I've had on my amp / pedals from where I kept if for months and now I get an amazingly defined yet distorted sound using just my gain channel with a boost and compressor, so my advice would absolutely be to see if you can't get the sound you want from the amp and minimal pedals. I had to redo the clean channel and it requires I use different settings on my guitar than before, but it actually breaks up even better with just the compressor and really goes over the top with both the boost and compressor. My wah and delay are in my loop and I'm excited to officially get the scrutator next friday and use it as my fuzz, but those pedals and a tuner is literally my signal chain and with that I can go from very clean to wall of distortion and everything in between fairly easily. After that I haven't yet decided between an octave or modulation effect for my "last" pedal, with the MO-2 being what I would get for octave and for modulation it's between the Grand Orbiter and Ventura, but the rumor is that EQD is working on a flanger so I want to wait for that (and play with the newest addition) before deciding.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 18, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A cool trick I like is stacking distortion sources. I love the tone from a guitar with hot pickups plugged into a tube screamer set to clean boost mode being plugged into a distortion pedal that's then being plugged into an overdriven amp. It's an idea I got from an interview with Eric Johnson.

Also mids are you friend. Not too much, but enough to get a good chugga. That's the key to a heavy rhythm and a searing lead tone.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

A cool trick I like is stacking distortion sources.

I do this too. Distortion usually = Beano or Distortion+ in front of fuzz, distortion pedal, or dirty amp. Less so with Engls, which do ok on their own.

quote:

Also mids

yes mids

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

A cool trick I like is stacking distortion sources.

Besides practice this is probably the best advice you can give someone.

I've found that good amps respond way better to just running a hotter guitar signal into them by using one or stacking things like compressors, boosts, EQs, and/or OD pedals than they do from just using a distortion pedal on it's own. Yeah it's probably more money in the long run but the sounds are totally worth it along with giving you a much wider range of tones to work with, plus you're usually spending more on the amp than distortion pedals so you might as well get your money's worth on the amp.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I mostly just try to imitate my favorite guitar sounds and then settle, knowing that a lot of that was done in post. Also I don't have an uberschall or diezel herbert.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

A Winner is Jew posted:

Boutique 99% of the time = Boss/Digitech/MXR at twice the price for like 1 more feature you probably don't need.

Boutique pedals offer something you can't get from name brands - instant resalability at more or less purchase price (sometimes more). Just as an example, there was at least a week recently where there wasn't a single Styrmon Blue Sky for sale on Reverb except a brand new one, and right now even the used ones are more or less selling at list. Higher buy-in but the investment is liquid

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The biggest thing is learning to listen critically, both to what you're playing and what's going on in music you like. It's like cooking with spices: once you have the basic ingredients, you imagine where you want it to go based your tastes and previous experience, and each change will inspire new ones and new directions until you are either satisfied or have run out of time and have to go ahead with what you've put together.

For me, each project needs a distinctive sound - that's going to be one of my contributions to making a band a "thing", a blended whole that is (hopefully) more than the sum of its component elements. Knowing your gear and all the different things you can do with it is important, but so is the willingness to change what you're doing as the project requires. You get it as close as you can with that, because after that, all the real work comes from your hands. The way you hit the stings, bend notes, form chords... when it feels right, you'll find yourself doing it all instinctively to make the music you like.

In this band, I have the particular distortion pedal(s), first the Turbo Rat then the No Brainer once I discovered it, the same wah, the same amp and guitar where possible, and especially the same picks. Through trial and error and simply playing, I have made all those part of my sound for this band. Then I can let my imagination run wild and work all the different styles I want and it will still sound consistent.

TL;DR - Listen, play, experiment, repeat until death of subject.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schlieren posted:

Boutique pedals offer something you can't get from name brands - instant resalability at more or less purchase price (sometimes more). Just as an example, there was at least a week recently where there wasn't a single Styrmon Blue Sky for sale on Reverb except a brand new one, and right now even the used ones are more or less selling at list. Higher buy-in but the investment is liquid

I never resell my poo poo so I don't give a gently caress.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I never resell my poo poo so I don't give a gently caress.

What about that Tokai with no binding nibs? Then your 80s Les Paul Custom...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh god, I was dicking around on my boss multi-effect and ended up on:

Clean amp with mid boost
METAL CORE distortion :black101:

Slow sweep phaser
Long-quiet delay

And... it felt really good.

I don't even know what is real anymore - can tone be real if our ears arent real? :confused:

Playing over this track, which appears to be in Am was super fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIi57zhDl78

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

I was at an open mic tonight and got talking to this guy:

Note the guitar!
Was very nice actually, very weighty and sounded really good.
Honeydipper, I think I might have to!

I don't want to say too much before I've had enough time with the guitar but holy sweet heck it's awesome. It has the most pleasantly warm plunky tone. I was a little worried it would be too brash for me but it's not piercing at all. Loud and honky but it never gets into that gimmicky rocks in a trashcan blues thing (don't get me wrong, I can dig that). There's a natural lively reverb that echoes through each note that I've never heard before. I'm sure it's just a metal resonator trait but considering this is the first I've played it's new to me. But yeah I'll write up a more in depth review after Christmas if you'd like. Let me know if you want to know anything specific.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't want to say too much before I've had enough time with the guitar but holy sweet heck it's awesome. It has the most pleasantly warm plunky tone. I was a little worried it would be too brash for me but it's not piercing at all. Loud and honky but it never gets into that gimmicky rocks in a trashcan blues thing (don't get me wrong, I can dig that). There's a natural lively reverb that echoes through each note that I've never heard before. I'm sure it's just a metal resonator trait but considering this is the first I've played it's new to me. But yeah I'll write up a more in depth review after Christmas if you'd like. Let me know if you want to know anything specific.

Sounds cool :)
I'm just looking for general opinion on quality and sound, you've sort of covered it there a bit.
There's not many guitars that seem to compare to the Gretsch in that price range so I think it;s a no brainer really - but I'd still like to read your write up :)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm also getting one of these for Christmas, so this is good to hear.

Related, I've bought a couple of glass slides, but don't really have a great idea of how to use them. Is there a good resource for delta blues playing? With an emphasis on slide?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I've had a honeydipper for a year and it's been very good quality and sound wise.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

screaden posted:

I'm also getting one of these for Christmas, so this is good to hear.

Related, I've bought a couple of glass slides, but don't really have a great idea of how to use them. Is there a good resource for delta blues playing? With an emphasis on slide?

A nice way to get good results quickly is tune to an open E and go wild, that's where my learnin' began and ended ha ha

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So this is a really interesting video (and the follow up) about Valve vs. Solid State. Specifically our expectations of the sound, versus the actual sound qualities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttlzdJFrAc

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hey, I got it right :v:

I was actually impressed at how pretty decent he got the MG sounding but I'm actually gonna attribute a lot of that to running it through that Laney cab :fap:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I got it right too, but only because one of my friends has an MG and I've noticed it has a certain character to its distortion from years of hearing it. From the first note on amp 2 I knew which was which.

I though both sounded quite good, though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I got it totally wrong, because I expected the tube amp to be more clear and 'better' - which is pretty much what the guy said: the solid state is more middy and so cuts better in that particular mix and so "many" people think it sounds better, and if it sounds better it must be valve - which is better because at this stage it's just recieved knowledge. It has reinforced my good feelings about getting an Orange Crush Pro 60C or a second hand Randall RG100 :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It would help if they guy knew how to record decently and used an actually good valve amp.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hi gain just masks too much stuff for it to even really be a useful comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Not really, it's kinda like how there's a difference between flavors of spicy peppers. Once you know how to look beyond the heat you can discern a difference.