Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I don't disagree with much in your post, Toasticle, but because of the derail potential you mention, I think it might be best to put that in a separate thread- even if it would nominally fit into this one.

vvvv That's a very good point. My personal torture fetish is reading DnD. But I'm a sadomasochist, so I post here too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't disagree with much in your post, Toasticle, but because of the derail potential you mention, I think it might be best to put that in a separate thread- even if it would nominally fit into this one.

We've tried that before, it just serves as a honeypot for morons who use it to detail their torture fetishes.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

This is a great result for the defense, right?

In general, a hung jury is basically a do-over. If it was a 1-11 split, that's better news for the defense than 11-1, and so on.

From skimming the CNN coverage, they seem to think the bigger question is what to do regarding the other officers' trials, where the state reportedly wants to use this guy's testimony against those defendants. If his case still isn't resolved because of the mistrial when those deadlines hit, and his testimony would tend to incriminate him, he can plead the 5th and refuse to testify unless the prosecutor is willing to offer immunity for his statements. (If, on the other hand, he had already been charged, tried, and convicted/acquitted, he could be forced to testify.)

In that sense the question would be how much they need him for the other cases and whether they can get him on the stand. I remember reading about the case back when and thinking that several of the charges sounded really, really thin, so anything that makes life more difficult isn't good news.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
I'll leave it at that post if people think it's a derail. It's a really touchy subject for me and as much as I may disagree with a lot of people here I do think this is probably the one thread where it could be discussed without the 'lol defending kidfuckers' assholes finding it and turning it into poo poo.

I may be a dick but there are some people here that may have more useful insight on the legal side than in the other shitstorms this subject draws.

But it still does have the risk of said assholes finding it and doing the typical 'bullet to the brain' shitposting so Ill drop it if people feel it's too off topic. I am curious what the lawyers think of the way the law treats those even just accused though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Van Dyke Indicted on 6 Murder Counts for Laquan McDonald Shooting

Piggy gonna fry.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm a layman, can someone explain to me how the murder of one person can result in being indicted on six counts?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

snorch posted:

I'm a layman, can someone explain to me how the murder of one person can result in being indicted on six counts?

Yeah this seems like some state specific nonsense, can someone explain it?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Jarmak posted:

Yeah this seems like some state specific nonsense, can someone explain it?

Only thing I can think of is that 6 of the gunshots were independently lethal and the prosecution is running with it to either spike the ball for political reasons or pressure the defendant for a plea bargain.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

It says a lot about the state of US policing that everytime something like this comes up I have to google the name of the dead black guy to remember which of the executions we're talking about this time.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

Only thing I can think of is that 6 of the gunshots were independently lethal and the prosecution is running with it to either spike the ball for political reasons or pressure the defendant for a plea bargain.

Yeah but normally in order to charge someone with multiple crimes there has to be at least one element of the crime that is unique.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Jarmak posted:

Yeah but normally in order to charge someone with multiple crimes there has to be at least one element of the crime that is unique.

I know, it's weird. I'd like to see the actual indictment, it should be enlightening.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

I know, it's weird. I'd like to see the actual indictment, it should be enlightening.

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-jason-van-dyke-indictment-document-20151216-htmlstory.html

Looks like they're variations of the same charge.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 17, 2015

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

CommanderApaul posted:

Here is the full text of the indictment http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-jason-van-dyke-indictment-document-20151216-htmlstory.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Holy gently caress the SC needs to quash this bullshit

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jarmak posted:

Holy gently caress the SC needs to quash this bullshit

Is it actually possible for him to be convicted of all 6 at the same time? I'm under the impression that it's something like charging someone for 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, and manslaughter so that the trial can determine which one is appropriate.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

There are six charges, stemming from two underlying statutory provisions: 720 ILCS 5/9-1(a)(1) which requires intent, and 720 ILCS 5/9-1(a)(2) which requires knowledge that the act reate a strong probability to kill (the "MURDER/INTENT TO KILL" vs "MURDER/STRONG PROB KILL").

The sentence for first degree murder carries a sentence from 20 to 60 years, ordinarily. 730 ILCS 5/5-4.5-20.

This sentence can be enhanced for murders involving firearms (INJURE WITH FIREARM / INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM / INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM PROXIMATELY). The 20 to 60 year term is enhanced by 15 years if the defendant killed the victim while armed (INJURE WITH FIREARM), 20 years if the defendant killed the victim and fired a shot (INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM), and 25 years if the defendant killed the victim with a shot (INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM PROXIMATELY). 730 ILCS 5/5-8-1

These are, for some reason, six separate charges, but he's only facing possible conviction of one of them.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Honestly this article is pretty enraging. A teenage girl was coerced by police into recanting her rape accusation and essentially had her life ruined through public humiliation and legal prosecution. Later on, it turns out oops! She had been the victim of a prolific serial rapist who kept pictures of his assault of her on his hard drive.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

Honestly this article is pretty enraging. A teenage girl was coerced by police into recanting her rape accusation and essentially had her life ruined through public humiliation and legal prosecution. Later on, it turns out oops! She had been the victim of a prolific serial rapist who kept pictures of his assault of her on his hard drive.

Even the police admit that the investigators acted horribly and with no professional basis, yet no one was even disciplined:

quote:

After O’Leary was linked to Marie’s rape, Lynnwood Police Chief Steven Jensen requested an outside review of how his department had handled the investigation. In a report not previously made public, Sgt. Gregg Rinta, a sex crimes supervisor with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, wrote that what happened was “nothing short of the victim being coerced into admitting that she lied about the rape.”
That Marie recanted wasn’t surprising, Rinta wrote, given the “bullying” and “hounding” she was subjected to. The detectives elevated “minor inconsistencies” — common among victims — into discrepancies, while ignoring strong evidence the crime had occurred. As for threatening jail and a possible withdrawal of housing assistance if Marie failed a polygraph: “These statements are coercive, cruel, and unbelievably unprofessional,” Rinta wrote. “I can’t imagine ANY justification for making these statements.”
Jensen also ordered an internal review, which was similarly damning. Mason’s judgment was unduly swayed by Peggy’s phone call. The detectives’ second interview with Marie was “designed to elicit a confession of false reporting.” The false reporting charge arose from a “self-imposed rush.”
Despite the reviews’ tough language, no one in the Lynnwood Police Department was disciplined.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Even the police admit that the investigators acted horribly and with no professional basis, yet no one was even disciplined:

There's also this:

quote:

In 2008, Marie’s case was one of four labeled unfounded by the Lynnwood police, according to statistics reported to the FBI. In the five years from 2008 to 2012, the department determined that 10 of 47 rapes reported to Lynnwood police were unfounded — 21.3 percent. That’s five times the national average of 4.3 percent for agencies covering similar-sized populations during that same period.

Thanks for posting the article by the way, that was a good albeit super depressing read.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's especially cool how the good Sgt. Mason thought minor discrepancies between his victim witness's statements had more bearing on the case than the abrasions on her wrists and within her vagina

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

These are, for some reason, six separate charges, but he's only facing possible conviction of one of them.

Would that be the legal opposite of the cop who fired (over his shoulder?) into a crowd but got off because the only thing they charged him was intentional (whatever) so since it wasn't 'intentionally' aimed at anyone it got thrown out? Kind of a cover all bases thing?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
You got it backwards. The officer's defense was he intentionally fired into a crowd, therefore he was not guilty of being reckless when he killed that woman.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's tumblr- sorry- but I think this is kinda relevant

http://monkeyvillesockmonkeys.tumblr.com/post/135385448961/blackourstory-chrysalisamidst

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There are six charges, stemming from two underlying statutory provisions: 720 ILCS 5/9-1(a)(1) which requires intent, and 720 ILCS 5/9-1(a)(2) which requires knowledge that the act reate a strong probability to kill (the "MURDER/INTENT TO KILL" vs "MURDER/STRONG PROB KILL").

The sentence for first degree murder carries a sentence from 20 to 60 years, ordinarily. 730 ILCS 5/5-4.5-20.

This sentence can be enhanced for murders involving firearms (INJURE WITH FIREARM / INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM / INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM PROXIMATELY). The 20 to 60 year term is enhanced by 15 years if the defendant killed the victim while armed (INJURE WITH FIREARM), 20 years if the defendant killed the victim and fired a shot (INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM), and 25 years if the defendant killed the victim with a shot (INJURE DISCHARGE FIREARM PROXIMATELY). 730 ILCS 5/5-8-1

Oh I misunderstood that as him facing conviction on all 6 because they they managed to turn each element of murder into its own crime.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

It's tumblr- sorry- but I think this is kinda relevant

It's not really though, because

quote:

It’s impossible to determine from the data whether individual complaints were dismissed for good reason, or whether investigators missed or failed to take into account evidence that would have resulted in more complaints being upheld.
The number of allegations filed vs the number upheld doesn't tell us anything.

If you pursue the related Chicago Tribune investigation, it notes that

quote:

Nearly 60 percent of all the complaints were thrown out without being fully investigated because the alleged victims failed to sign required affidavits. What's more, investigators won't consider an officer's complaint history as part of the investigation, and many of the cases come down to the word of the officer versus the accuser.
I think its reasonable to exclude allegations a person has been cleared of from a new investigation, and he-said she-said cases are always going to be difficult to prove.

It appears that most of these allegations are being dropped because the complainant doesn't follow through, or because there isn't enough evidence to substantiate them, rather than because they're being improperly dismissed.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Except as was shown today in Lynnwood, police officers routinely bully women to retract their claims of rape.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It would be interesting to see if, like habeas claims, some significant portion of the complaints are coming from a small number of crazy people flooding the system.

Radbot posted:

Except as was shown today in Lynnwood, police officers routinely bully women to retract their claims of rape.

That...isn't particularly relevant.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Radbot posted:

I don't think its very wise to use this as proof all police officers bully women into retracting rape allegations. That seems misguided at best.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
E:nm

Discendo Vox posted:

It would be interesting to see if, like habeas claims, some significant portion of the complaints are coming from a small number of crazy people flooding the system.

Here's the data, have at it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

I don't think its very wise to use this as proof all police officers bully women into retracting rape allegations. That seems misguided at best.

Proof was furnished long ago, this is just the latest example of a pattern that repeats itself over and over again. Some police don't do it but who cares?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Discendo Vox posted:

That...isn't particularly relevant.

He's drawing the comparison of witness intimidation, which is not unheard of in regards to police officers.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, stories like these totally don't undermine faith that police will actually pursue rape allegations in a crime already notorious for underreporting and peer pressure to let the offender slide. It certainly reassures people that are the victims of violent sexual assault and already mentally traumatized that there are brave police who actively discourage and ruin the lives of the accuser.

Because not all cops.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Hah almost none of the reports are available.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

serious gaylord posted:

Then I guess its good that nobody claimed that literally every single police officer does that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Look man, if not all police officers do it, it's not worth talking about. 100% of bad apples spoil the bunch, as the saying goes.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I wonder why people trying to complain an officer violated their rights wouldn't want to risk their freedom over swearing an affidavit that carries a felony charge if the justice system decided to gently caress them (again)?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DARPA posted:

I wonder why people trying to complain an officer violated their rights wouldn't want to risk their freedom over swearing an affidavit that carries a felony charge if the justice system decided to gently caress them (again)?

So the department should, what, punish officers on the basis of unsworn statements?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

So the department should, what, punish officers on the basis of unsworn statements?

Oh is that something somebody in this thread said? No? Then how about you shut the gently caress up

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
I'd say Yes? Why does a statement need to be sworn to investigate something internally? It isn't a criminal trial. It's an administrative punishment by their employer. If what the officer did gets elevated to a criminal matter then the statement can upgrade its sweariness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Perhaps not, but people should certainly stop inviting cops to block parties or treating them like decent people until they get their poo poo together and figure out how to get rid of the bad apples.

• Locked thread