Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

eSports Chaebol posted:

based on this picture im 99% certain you own radioactive fiestaware plates which are actually valuable colletctors items unlike CRTs

You would be correct, although I only have a couple for decoration, too expensive nowadays to buy whole sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

I don't care what you guys say, I'm not getting rid of my old CRT TV.

you know JnnyThndrs i remember a thread from years ago i think it was about retro tvs. you mentioned your house is done in mid century style. I always thought that was cool.

Fetus
Jul 13, 2001

Chill'n in my womb

These PVMs are the primo CRTs I was talking about. I have another one at home.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I had a TV with a VHS player bulit in. I had it up until about 2008, never brought any VHS tapes after I got a PS2 and could play DVDs, but I used it to tape things on TV - I remember taping the first two seasons of Lost, and the first season of Ugly Betty (for some reason), as well as late night movies. One time I borrowed season 6 of The X-Files on VHS and watched it on it - this was when VHS boxsets were hilarious obsolete, because DVD boxsets were the norm.

For some bizzare reason, I have a second hand copy of A View to a Kill on VHS under my desk still?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Say Nothing posted:

I need to dispose of my old CRT monitor - even the local scrap recycling place doesn't take them.

Repurpose it?

All CRTs converted into cat boxes or whatever that is should keep the capacitor inside. Keeps the cat warm.

fry you rear end in a top hat cat

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I wanted to get a tv stand at a garage sale. The guy said it was free if i took the old tv. The tv weighed 50-100 lbs and sits in my garage now until i can get rid of it

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think that some people with older (low-definition) game systems who play games that require really fast response times (Street Fighter, Beatmania IIDX or whatever) may want to keep their CRTs because some HDTVs have a lot of lag when upscaling. (And by a lot I mean 50ms which can be a problem in some games.)

We have a conference room at work with a huge 80" LCD, but the input lag is insane when you connect a laptop up to it.

Did anyone ever have a CRT projector?
http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer_1.shtm

The Bible
May 8, 2010

When I worked at Best Buy years ago in the Services Dept. (before Geek Squad), we were supposed to recycle CRT monitors and TVs.

I'm not sure what exactly we were supposed to be doing, because we just tossed them in the trash compactor and turned it on. The sounds were incredible.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I have the urge to watch some Hardcore Pawn and see trashy people losing their poo poo because they can't pawn their CRT. Do they still make that show?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

The Bible posted:

When I worked at Best Buy years ago in the Services Dept. (before Geek Squad), we were supposed to recycle CRT monitors and TVs.

I'm not sure what exactly we were supposed to be doing, because we just tossed them in the trash compactor and turned it on. The sounds were incredible.

Awesome - I worked at a little computer shop ~10 years ago (jfc has it been that long?) and whenever people brought in old CRT's to recycle and we would drive them over to the best buy a mile away which took them for free. We eventually got lazy and tossed them in the dumpster. Whoops.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
Emulators are great for most retro gaming, but I cannot play Super Mario World in an emulator. There is noticeable input lag, compared to an actual Super NES.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Bible posted:

So that's what happened to my old TV. Cool.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

max4me posted:

you know JnnyThndrs i remember a thread from years ago i think it was about retro tvs. you mentioned your house is done in mid century style. I always thought that was cool.

Thanks! I posted a thread once where I detailed how I took the old black-and-white/tube guts out of that TV and replaced it with 'modern' 27" guts. Kinda ironic now that the 'new' innards are obsolete too.

I'm glad I did it when I did, cause LCD's are the wrong aspect ratio for the conversion. I don't really watch much TV, it's mostly there so visiting children can watch videos and play with my old PS2.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
this applies to every single product ever

my mother, for instance, likes to insist that her rusty, slowly falling to pieces acura mdx is somehow still worth 6k after 200k miles of abuse

i sold a flat screen tv that had a dvd player mounted in it for like 25$, and the person who gifted it to me was appalled that i sold a tv that was 400$ when it was new (2008)

poo poo holds zero monetary value nowadays

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sperglord Firecock posted:

my mother, for instance, likes to insist that her rusty, slowly falling to pieces acura mdx is somehow still worth 6k after 200k miles of abuse

i sold a flat screen tv that had a dvd player mounted in it for like 25$, and the person who gifted it to me was appalled that i sold a tv that was 400$ when it was new (2008)

invest in baseball cards

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Otisburg posted:

I bought a 48" 1081i widescreen projection TV in tyool 2004, for like 1200 bucks. The red projector went out of alignment and I ended up giving it way a few years ago to save having to haul it to the dump, fortunately I got some takers on craigslist.

If only I'd waited a couple years. :smith:

I have one of these TVs in my garage. You do know you can adjust the alignment in the settings menu....right? I had to do it after taking it apart to move it. Heavy fucker.

Still works great though and the picture isn't bad.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a recycler that looked like a dude out of a movie. Old man missing teeth, old 70s red truck with phone number spray painted on it. He even had young me tally retarded helper.

He came and took a few appliances from my place along with some scrap metal I then learned that tvs were scrapped for 10 cents a pound. I got ride of three crts no problem.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Crow_Robot posted:

Guys should I buy these HOME COMPUTERS I found on Craigslist.

I hear Home makes some drat good computers, especially that Computer model. Plus it's in excellent condition!!!

http://tucson.craigslist.org/sys/5351794305.html

this is a great deal!

especially when everything is in excellent condition!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

revmoo posted:

I have one of these TVs in my garage. You do know you can adjust the alignment in the settings menu....right? I had to do it after taking it apart to move it. Heavy fucker.

Still works great though and the picture isn't bad.

Like, permanently. The motor to adjust the alignment broke.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

JnnyThndrs posted:

Thanks! I posted a thread once where I detailed how I took the old black-and-white/tube guts out of that TV and replaced it with 'modern' 27" guts. Kinda ironic now that the 'new' innards are obsolete too.

I'm glad I did it when I did, cause LCD's are the wrong aspect ratio for the conversion. I don't really watch much TV, it's mostly there so visiting children can watch videos and play with my old PS2.

How uhh ... how often do you have kids "visiting" your house dude... :raise:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

max4me posted:

He even had young me tally retarded helper.

It took me several reads to grasp this was missing an "N."

Come mister tally man, tally me television
Daylight come and me wanna go home

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

TLG James posted:

Best buy will recycle up to 32 inch tvs for free.

Only half true, we recycle any size TV if you get it in the door and just leave it by the recycle bin.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

HugoDigletts posted:

Only half true, we recycle any size TV if you get it in the door and just leave it by the recycle bin.

Lol you work at best buy

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Three-Phase posted:

I used to have a Barcovision CRT projector back in the late 80s that I used for doing graphics displays to music. Thing was a beast, came in a flight case you could have lived in. Whenever you set it up in a place you had to leave it run for an hour or so to get nice and hot then throw up the convergence grids and spend half an hour twiddling a large array of little knobs to converge and align every area of the screen. I once did this whilst at the top of a ladder with the projector over my head whilst trying not to think about the voltages that were floating around in there.

I used to set it up at home to watch films on. My cat once blew it up by deciding to sit on the air vents - normally I'd notice him and tell him to get off, this one time I was too absorbed in the film to keep admonishing him and both he and I were surprised by the blue sparks.

But yeah. Monsters.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It took me several reads to grasp this was missing an "N."

Come mister tally man, tally me television
Daylight come and me wanna go home

drat auto correct

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Three-Phase posted:

My parents had a weird projector TV like that, all in one cabinet. Making Saturday morning cartoons change color by putting my hand in front of one of the bulbs was marvelous.

I think they tossed it for an upgrade to a rear projection TV sometime around 1988. Now those bastards put Trinitrons to shame, just because they were the size of a loving Volkswagen.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

Lol you work at best buy

Worse; He says, "We..." so it's like a part of him now.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i have this huge tv that my parents gave me, probably one of the last non flatscreen tvs ever made. the piece of poo poo hasnt worked in years and has just been sitting there taking tons of space and also urine because my dog loves to pee on it. anyways my parents were convinced they were going to fix it someday, even though the point where it would have been worthwhile to do so passed many years ago. i finally convinced them to throw the stupid thing out because a) no one knows how to fix this trash anymore and b) even if it was possible it would probably cost more than a new tv. turns out not even the people who buy and scrap old trash will take it and so it continues to haunt me by being an eyesore that takes half of my bedroom

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I tried to buy a washing machine of Craigslist last year, in the ad the guy wrote it was from 2012.

So I drive out to his house, turns out the washing machine was actually from 2003, but he replaced the wash tub in 2012 making it "good as new". He wanted $350 for it and showed me the yellowed 11 year old receipt so I could see he paid $900 for it originally.

It'd be cool if there was a filter on craigslist that removed all the crackheads and baby boomers with piles of decade old receipts.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
your old projection tvs fresnel lens is pretty cool though
detach your tvs front panel and use it to melt rocks and vaporize marshmallows

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

wtf is up with you pussies who can't even lift a 32 inch crt.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

ghostter posted:

We didn't train at 10x earth's gravity.

Still got a 15" Advent I got in college. It has built in dvd, but that hasn't worked in years. Still, with a DVD/VCR combo, it still runs fine.

My parents on the other hand, still have their old 32" in my grandparent's old Entertainment Cabinet. I remember having to get that Cabinet up the stairs and into the room, and then get the CRT in the cabinet. I don't know how they got it downstairs when they finally went to HDTV.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

ghostter posted:

Those things are loving heavy though. There used to be loads of stories about them falling and crushing kids to death.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

netally posted:

Those things are loving heavy though. There used to be loads of stories about them falling and crushing kids to death.

Lmbo I've heard too much TV can be bad for kids but this is ridiculous! !!!!!!!

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Worse; He says, "We..." so it's like a part of him now.

Making low level retail work at core part of your identity is the only way to the big leagues, someday I'll be CEO as long as I remember the values of RenewBlue! :suicide:

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

OldMemes posted:

Iand the first season of Ugly Betty (for some reason), as well as late night movies.

You were jacking it to those underaged braces

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My sister bought a 32" knockoff Trinitron with built-in VHS player at goodwill for like $12 a few years ago that sat in my son's room completely unused (because it's 2015 and we don't own VHS tapes anymore, besides an old copy of Back to the Future) because nobody could be arsed to throw out their back trying to move the drat thing. When we moved six months ago I tipped the movers extra to take it down to the dumpster for me and even they bitched about how heavy it was

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

those tvs arent really that heavy jeez. kinda awkward but its not like trying to move one of those giant old wooden floor tvs that are like 5 feet long with big speakers built in.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The only good thing about having those CRTs was being able to sit your SNES on top of them.

At least until it inevitably fell on the floor thanks to the sheer weight of the RF cabling dragging it backwards in small increments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The other thing that people overvalue are "antique" upright pianos. They're usually worthless.

• Locked thread