Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hell, I hope the guy straight comes back.

About Hank's explanation; it might be a bit "obsessive fan theory" but, well, that's the kind of cover story an alien agent would come up with. :colbert: (Nah I'm not kidding myself, the office reveal was written in to create a wtf moment and there's no natural resolution for it. A slight weak point in a great show.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Perfect closure is overrated. Fargo is one of the most postmodern television shows ever, and it is beautiful.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

King Vidiot posted:

I think it's clear they didn't plan this season's story arc way back in Season 1, so I think what makes Hanzee's story so ridiculous is that, like you said, he changes his face to a white man's. It makes it feel cheap, like they really didn't think of the implications of that beyond "let's do a cool callback to Season 1 and blow everybody's mind!".

I can at least imagine what he might've been thinking. Everyone's hunting for an Indian, I'll become a white man. White men have been racist to me all my life in one way or another, I'll become a white man, fight them, and prosper under their nose. Then he gets old, gets comfortable, gets killed by Malvo.

There's only one character from this season I want to see pop up in season 3 somehow: Mike Milligan, preferably played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hate for BBT stems from that time he was banging Angelina Jolie.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NowonSA posted:

There's only one character from this season I want to see pop up in season 3 somehow: Mike Milligan, preferably played by Samuel L. Jackson.
I hope season 3 starts with him walking over corpses to reach his office, just after malvo's headquarters attack.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am positively sure I enjoyed the season, but I'm still torn on whether the UFO plot was absolutely bogus, cool, or both. Same with some other experiments with direction, narration, other things. It all blends fairly well together, so maybe there's just no need to dissect it.

Depressio111117 posted:

Patrick Wilson, Lou Solverson.

Huh, didn't recognise him for some reason.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zwille posted:

I wonder if Ted's whole visual language thing was related to the two kids signing. Sign language was recognized as a natural language in 1960 but didn't really blow up until the 80s, and a lot of people think sign language is universal (which it isn't).

I really liked how they just had a deaf mobster in season one and I hope they do something sign language related in season 3 again.

The two kids grow up to become Mr. Wrench (the deaf hitman played by Russell Harvard in Season 1) and his partner Mr. Numbers (Adam Goldberg). Presumably Hanzee rescues them from the bullies, takes them under his wing, and teaches them how to be killers as he becomes Mr. Tripoli.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Twice now in the last two days I've clicked on this thread and tried to figure out what relation Big Bang Theory had to the first season of Fargo

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

Twice now in the last two days I've clicked on this thread and tried to figure out what relation Big Bang Theory had to the first season of Fargo

I just had the same thing happen myself because I'm a foolish person who reads missed posts backwards instead of starting at first missed post

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Hanzee as Raj

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Perfect closure is overrated. Fargo is one of the most postmodern television shows ever, and it is beautiful.
I agree, that's why I think they shouldn't even have attempted it. I guess killing off Hank or Molly just so they wouldn't get an opportunity to talk about it would have been cruel...

So here's a thing. The Tripoli reveal was pretty cool, if a little hard to swallow but whatever, and so was the Wrench/Numbers thing, but I can't help but picture an alternate universe resolution. Hanzee sits on the bleachers and receives his social security card. Opens up the case, gives his little speech. Camera on the card as Hanzee pulls it out and we can read his new identity. "Shep Proudfoot."

Electromax
May 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Camera on the card as Hanzee pulls it out and we can read his new identity. "Shep Proudfoot."

Or Benjamin Button, if you're going to try and pull off a transition like that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dang that was some good television. Some parts that stood out to me:

-The theme of veteran/non-veteran during conversations. With brilliant payoffs with Reagan's telling a Hollywood war story, and the small town cop having a terrible plan and refusing to listen to Hank explain that even Eisenhower made mistakes.

-The firefight in the woods that showed how the Gerhardts had stayed in power for so long. The guy with the longbow not realizing the seriousness of the situation, the Kitchen Bros going full shotgun, and Hanzee in his element.

-The conflict between a traditional German family and the Jewish mafia didn't resort to the crutch of making the Gerhardts secret Nazis. They seemed a lot closer to WWI era Germans, and that made them more interesting with bread baking and strudel, Teutonic imagery, and ties to the Northern European immigrant culture of the region.

--In "Loplop", during Dodd's anti-woman rant he mentions Samson and Delilah, and Samson lost his strength after a haircut.

Some questions I had:

-After Hanzee saw the plaque that said 22 Sioux Indians had been killed on this spot, is he subsequently responsible for the deaths of 22 white people?

-In the scene where the window washers shoot up the meeting, were the window washers Bear and the guy from Buffalo, or just two Gerhardt thugs?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mojo Threepwood posted:

-In the scene where the window washers shoot up the meeting, were the window washers Bear and the guy from Buffalo, or just two Gerhardt thugs?

It looked like the one on the left was Bear, but I honestly couldn't tell for sure.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

NowonSA posted:

You definitely don't want Sam Jackson to try and pull off an accent. His lovely lisp ruined Kingsman.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I didn't notice much of an accent on Mike, unless cool guy swagger is an accent.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mojo Threepwood posted:

-After Hanzee saw the plaque that said 22 Sioux Indians had been killed on this spot, is he subsequently responsible for the deaths of 22 white people?

The bartender, the two cops, Constance Heck, Dodd, Floyd, the guy whose car Ed & Peggy tried to steal, Ed. That's eight he personally killed so if there were fourteen killed at the Sioux Falls Massacre (excluding Floyd) then yeah.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Kitchen brothers' role in Fargo is a little odd. I guess it was more a visual gag and after a few episodes the effect's diminishing returns probably couldn't justify the extra cost to film them. It wasn't like the remaining Kitchen did anything differently due to the loss of his brother. Except for that 'head in the box' scene, he didn't even seem that affected.

I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere, but one of the theories was that the surviving brother became Tripoli. I think that probably made more sense than Hanzee and might have represented a better character arc.

Of all of the characters, the last Kitchen brother was probably the only one who made it through the whole series unchanged and without anything new being revealed about them.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Baron Corbyn posted:

The bartender, the two cops, Constance Heck, Dodd, Floyd, the guy whose car Ed & Peggy tried to steal, Ed. That's eight he personally killed so if there were fourteen killed at the Sioux Falls Massacre (excluding Floyd) then yeah.

He also killed a crap load of people out in the woods I think? Including the other Kitchen brother and Brad Garrett?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think it's more. At the massacre there's Bear, nine Gerhardt thugs (plus the guy from Buffalo, who flees) and at least seven police (the lookout, one with the chief, four talking 'bout peeing in the pool). Haven't rewatched the whole scene, but if they all die that's 17; bartender, one state trooper with the other "clinging to life", but also the gas station guy makes 20; Constance, Dodd, Floyd, driver, Ed makes 25. And if you count only his personal kills you're not getting close to 22.

Maybe his kills over the whole series, that could work out.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

He also killed a crap load of people out in the woods I think? Including the other Kitchen brother and Brad Garrett?

Yeah, but that was before seeing the plaque.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mojo Threepwood posted:

-The firefight in the woods that showed how the Gerhardts had stayed in power for so long. The guy with the longbow not realizing the seriousness of the situation, the Kitchen Bros going full shotgun, and Hanzee in his element.

Bow guy and Joe were just going hunting, they didn't expect an attack.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
This season was amazing but in my headcanon the whole Moses Tripoli thing is a coincidence.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This season was amazing but in my headcanon the whole Moses Tripoli thing is a coincidence.

My exact feelings. It is much better this way.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah, I agree with the poster who said the Tripoli reveal felt like a cheap attempt to blow our minds. Tripoli has a bushy, sandy brown beard for poo poo's sake. A few missteps aside, this was great TV that could have been perfect with a couple minor changes, which is better than almost anything else on TV.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It really should have been Bear.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't know if it was intended or not, but I thought it was a nice touch that the '22 Indians'" plaque didn't explicitly state that it was a bad thing. When you combine it with the attitudes of the people inside the building, you could believe they were almost taking it as a positive.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 17, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lemon posted:

I don't know if it was intended or not, but I thought it was a nice touch that the '22 Indians'" plaque didn't explicitly state that it was a []ibad[/i] thing. When you combine it with the attitudes of the people inside the building, you could believe they were almost taking it as a positive.

signs like that are usually put up after long civil rights campaigns for minorities. often they become cruddy, watered-down token gestures, in order to not "offend" reactionary shitlords. this is why you will see plaques (like the one in the show) that have a very banal, "neutral" description of a historical event. but the reality is that it's probably describing how a bunch of Indians (or insert-minority-here) were killed for no good reason

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the Fargo universe they've discovered an advanced facial reconstruction machine from a crashed UFO.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hanzee was a half breed. Maybe the second half of his life was White.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not like Patrick Wilson is ever going to look like Keith Carradine either.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

phosdex posted:

it's really nitpicky and dumb to complain about but at the end when danson is giving the symbols explanation, he goes in and out of his fake minnesota accent and it just really stood out to me

Maybe accents are part of the reason we get into wars and is another aspect to his universal language.... okay then.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

phosdex posted:

it's really nitpicky and dumb to complain about but at the end when danson is giving the symbols explanation, he goes in and out of his fake minnesota accent and it just really stood out to me

Martin Freeman's fluctuates in quality in the first season. Seems like a hard accent for a lot of actors to pull off consistently; that the Coen Bros got all of the participants in Fargo: The Movie to do theirs so well is part of why that film works to the degree that it does.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hanzee was a half breed. Maybe the second half of his life was White.

Makes sense. Things didn't work out as an Indian in the first half, things got better as a white man in the second up until a short guy with bowl cut blew his brains out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

centaurtainment posted:

Martin Freeman's fluctuates in quality in the first season. Seems like a hard accent for a lot of actors to pull off consistently; that the Coen Bros got all of the participants in Fargo: The Movie to do theirs so well is part of why that film works to the degree that it does.

That's like the only American accent Martin Freeman seems to be able to do. He literally does the same voice when he read for Zaphod Beeblebrox in the audiobooks for Hitchhikers Guide. But for Fargo he obviously throws in some Minnasotan twang or whatever with Lester.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I just rewatched season 1 and Lou says that the last time he stood watch was in 1979 when Molly was 4 years old, but in episode one of season 2 Betsy says that Molly is "six, not Pol Pot." Why make her two years older? Is old Lou just misremembering?

Is this a detail that literally doesn't matter?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

centaurtainment posted:

I just rewatched season 1 and Lou says that the last time he stood watch was in 1979 when Molly was 4 years old, but in episode one of season 2 Betsy says that Molly is "six, not Pol Pot." Why make her two years older? Is old Lou just misremembering?

Is this a detail that literally doesn't matter?
:tinfoil:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Alien_abduction&redirect=no#Return

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Until I'm shown differently, I'm choosing to believe Hanzee pulled a Ras al Ghul, and the dude from season 1 was his stand-in.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Officer Farva posted:

Until I'm shown differently, I'm choosing to believe Hanzee pulled a Ras al Ghul, and the dude from season 1 was his stand-in.

The actor himself said Hanzee was Mr. Tripoli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All the talk of season 1 got me thinking the DVD of it would be perfect for my mom for christmas. She loves thrillers and murder mystery and crime shows, this'll be right up her alley.

• Locked thread