Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zephro posted:

Here's a very unglamorous question - what's the best way to organise LOTR cards? I guess you want binder sections for Lore, Tactics, Leadership, Spirit and Neutral. But what about the encounter cards and the quest cards? I can see storing quest cards on a single binder page for each quest, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the Encounter ones, since they get used in multiple scenarios...

Amoeba102 posted:

Do it by the symbol on them, like say for core, put the forest ones together, spider ones etc.

This.

[disclaimer] I'm a shoe box storage person [/disclaimer], but I think for encounter cards it's pretty legit. I've got a bunch of BCW 330 count card boxes (they're sold as 300 count but say 330 on the bottom of the box) and they fit a deluxe expansion/core set and full cycle, sleeved, perfectly. Just sling a divider of your choice between each quest and it's real easy to construct anything on the fly. They also hold two Saga expansions sleeved with a little room to spare. Smaller mobile footprint than taking a core set box, and presumably quicker to build quests than a binder? It is also cheap as poo poo which I'm a big fan of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
OK, thanks for the advice. Do new cards get added to different Encounter sets as you buy packs? So for instance the Spider set in the Core box - does that contain all the Spider cards FFG will ever print or do more turn up in subsequent packs?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The 6-set series (i.e. Hunt for Gollum through Return to Mirkwood) have the same symbol because they're a "cycle" but each major release has its own symbol, similar to Magic. So they won't use the Spider again.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks for the advice. Do new cards get added to different Encounter sets as you buy packs? So for instance the Spider set in the Core box - does that contain all the Spider cards FFG will ever print or do more turn up in subsequent packs?

No, each encounter set is a particular set of cards. When you buy a pack, you get a quest and a new set of encounter cards that may or may not use certain sets from the core set. For example, Return to Mirkwood uses the Spiders and Wilderness encounter card sets, in addition to the cards you get in the pack. You can, however, buy Nightmare packs that make certain quests harder by changing certain cards in the sets.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah what I think Boco_T is referring to is the symbol in the very bottom right of a card which denotes where it comes from, purely for identification purposes. Each adventure pack will use mostly its own cards (~30) and then usually somewhere between 1 and 3 sets from the preceding big box/core, to produce a quest that's mostly new cards.

Each cycle is designed alongside the box that came before, so there's no need to add new cards to extant sets.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Has any group of players online started working around trying to reconfigure sets with custom Encounters? Seems like that would be something hard core players would do.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Taran_Wanderer posted:

No, each encounter set is a particular set of cards. When you buy a pack, you get a quest and a new set of encounter cards that may or may not use certain sets from the core set. For example, Return to Mirkwood uses the Spiders and Wilderness encounter card sets, in addition to the cards you get in the pack. You can, however, buy Nightmare packs that make certain quests harder by changing certain cards in the sets.
OK, thanks. So I'd be OK to put all the encounter sets (ie all the Spiders, and all the Wilderness, etc) onto single binder pages without leaving room for future additions to that particular pool.

So I guess the way to do this is 5 categories of player cards (Lore, Tactics, Spirit, Leadership, Neutral), x categories of encounter sets (1 set per page, ideally, so I have a Spider page, a Wilderness page, a Dol Guldur page, etc etc), and then x quest pages, with all the quest cards for a particular quest in a single pocket with the top-most card visible (so a pocket for Passage Through Mirkwood, another for Journey down the Anduin, for 9 quests per page).

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks. So I'd be OK to put all the encounter sets (ie all the Spiders, and all the Wilderness, etc) onto single binder pages without leaving room for future additions to that particular pool.

So I guess the way to do this is 5 categories of player cards (Lore, Tactics, Spirit, Leadership, Neutral), x categories of encounter sets (1 set per page, ideally, so I have a Spider page, a Wilderness page, a Dol Guldur page, etc etc), and then x quest pages, with all the quest cards for a particular quest in a single pocket with the top-most card visible (so a pocket for Passage Through Mirkwood, another for Journey down the Anduin, for 9 quests per page).

That should work. I keep the quest cards with the "main" encounter set of that quest, as it's not used in any other quest. The only exception I can think of is Journey Along the Anduin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Can I play a 0 cost Lore card if I have no Lore heroes in play?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

sassassin posted:

Can I play a 0 cost Lore card if I have no Lore heroes in play?

No.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Edit-misread

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Conquest-related:

I was never aware just how much fun it was to park a Termagaunt Horde with Regen on Atrox and keep sending Savage Warrior Prime there. At least one termagaunt every round plus smashing HQ or adjacents, attempts at taking the planet led to horrible bites in the face with the built up gaunts

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

Conquest-related:

I was never aware just how much fun it was to park a Termagaunt Horde with Regen on Atrox and keep sending Savage Warrior Prime there. At least one termagaunt every round plus smashing HQ or adjacents, attempts at taking the planet led to horrible bites in the face with the built up gaunts

Love it. Tyranids can do some really weird and powerful stuff.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Got my AGoT 2nd edition in today. Excited to get started.

But holy poo poo, I was annoyed at FFG for the Netrunner core having a few one offs. AGoT is just a giant gently caress you in that respect.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

EVGA Longoria posted:

Got my AGoT 2nd edition in today. Excited to get started.

But holy poo poo, I was annoyed at FFG for the Netrunner core having a few one offs. AGoT is just a giant gently caress you in that respect.

It's better this way though, you're going to buy three cores anyway and this allows them to have more unique cards and your third core is still giving you significant stuff instead of just being for like 5 cards.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's better this way though, you're going to buy three cores anyway and this allows them to have more unique cards and your third core is still giving you significant stuff instead of just being for like 5 cards.

Except I could get started with netrunner with a single core, and multiple cores just made things better. Looking at this, I feel like I bought one of those crap magic starter decks, or that a 5 year old just handed me their first attempt at deck building. One of the appeals of the lcg model to me is that I can have a play set of every card effortlessly. Now I need to buy 2 more $40 core sets to get started in this game.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

EVGA Longoria posted:

Except I could get started with netrunner with a single core, and multiple cores just made things better. Looking at this, I feel like I bought one of those crap magic starter decks, or that a 5 year old just handed me their first attempt at deck building. One of the appeals of the lcg model to me is that I can have a play set of every card effortlessly. Now I need to buy 2 more $40 core sets to get started in this game.

One core decks in Netrunner were legal but terrible. Anyone who played past a demo bought at least a second and many bought three. At least they are being honest about it now. The game is three cores. One core is a demo.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

EVGA Longoria posted:

It's a fantastic game but yeah I agree. You can't even make a legal deck from a single cause re set can you? You could at least make a couple of legal decks from a single Netrunner starter.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serotonin posted:

It's a fantastic game but yeah I agree. You can't even make a legal deck from a single cause re set can you? You could at least make a couple of legal decks from a single Netrunner starter.

You can make a legal deck, but it'll use basically all the neutral cards in the box so you wouldn't be able to make two.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The way I see it is that even going $120 deep on 3x GoT cores is small potatoes compared to what you'd pay for a TCG (as a former WoW TCG addict, I was a case deep, that's 12 boxes, quarterly with new releases). Getting the 3-core "full experience" costs barely more than I'd pay for a single box back in the day. It feels steep from a board gamer POV I guess, but there's a ridiculous amount of game you get out of those three boxes, be it as a bunch of head to head decks to build or the ability to run melee games with 3+ players. The overall value is huuuuge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It seems insanely dumb to me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JoshTheStampede posted:

One core decks in Netrunner were legal but terrible. Anyone who played past a demo bought at least a second and many bought three. At least they are being honest about it now. The game is three cores. One core is a demo.

I wasn't playing during the Core timeframe, so I can't say anything as to how good they were, but on the list, the majority of cards are 3-ofs, most of the rest are 2-ofs, and only a few are 1-ofs (and about half of those are limited to 1 in play at a time, so most decks I see only run 2 now). They've also put out Promos of the 1-ofs and 2-ofs to help complete playsets pretty easily, and a "Core Completion" set people build only costs about $50 anyway.

Merauder posted:

The way I see it is that even going $120 deep on 3x GoT cores is small potatoes compared to what you'd pay for a TCG (as a former WoW TCG addict, I was a case deep, that's 12 boxes, quarterly with new releases). Getting the 3-core "full experience" costs barely more than I'd pay for a single box back in the day. It feels steep from a board gamer POV I guess, but there's a ridiculous amount of game you get out of those three boxes, be it as a bunch of head to head decks to build or the ability to run melee games with 3+ players. The overall value is huuuuge.

Unless you were paying Legacy, $120 would easily get you a competitive Standard deck in Magic. Even in Legacy, I had 2 competitive Legacy decks at $120.

The value might be huge, but I have yet to even really play the game, and if I go to a GNK with just a core-set deck, it's going to be garbage.

I get the advantage for someone who is dedicated to LCGs. But it feels like a giant "gently caress you" to the LCG model - "Each pack you buy has a full playset of all the cards! No more collecting or chasing!"*

* Does not include core set, you'll need to buy 3 of them.

I would rather have a core set with fewer cards, that provides 3-ofs of everything.

I'll concede it's a personal preference thing. But it's frustrating to me.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

EVGA Longoria posted:

I wasn't playing during the Core timeframe, so I can't say anything as to how good they were, but on the list, the majority of cards are 3-ofs, most of the rest are 2-ofs, and only a few are 1-ofs (and about half of those are limited to 1 in play at a time, so most decks I see only run 2 now). They've also put out Promos of the 1-ofs and 2-ofs to help complete playsets pretty easily, and a "Core Completion" set people build only costs about $50 anyway.
I've never seen anyone selling these core completion sets that actually has any in stock. Are you sure they're still doing it, or was it only a thing when Netrunner was new?

Also, are you saying you can get one-of SanSan City Grids as a promo from FFG?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Zephro posted:

I've never seen anyone selling these core completion sets that actually has any in stock. Are you sure they're still doing it, or was it only a thing when Netrunner was new?

Also, are you saying you can get one-of SanSan City Grids as a promo from FFG?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-Net...iYAAOxyA9dSXuHx

Haven't seen SanSan City Grids, that's the frustrating one. Still comes in a core completion, though.

Though, Netrunner cores are down to $25 each, 2 cores is cheaper I guess. It'll be less of an issue when Game of Thrones is available at $25 too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

EVGA Longoria posted:

It'll be less of an issue when Game of Thrones is available at $25 too.

It already is, $25.99 at CSI and I'll bet everywhere else that competes with their prices is liked priced pretty close.

Netrunner and every other FFG Core set regularly pop up around the net for $20 on sales, the only reason to pay the $35 retail price is because you're impatient. Even out here in Taiwan I got aGoT Cores for $36 after shipping and shipping is really bad here right now, so the price of shipping was about $10 a box.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 19, 2015

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

PaybackJack posted:

It already is, $25.99 at CSI and I'll bet everywhere else that competes with their prices is liked priced pretty close.

Doesn't count if they are out of stock every time I look. I managed to get one from MM, and it was out of stock about an hour after I did.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm not moaning too much as I did pick up my copies of AGOT very cheap. And it's a great game

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

EVGA Longoria posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-Net...iYAAOxyA9dSXuHx

Haven't seen SanSan City Grids, that's the frustrating one. Still comes in a core completion, though.

Though, Netrunner cores are down to $25 each, 2 cores is cheaper I guess. It'll be less of an issue when Game of Thrones is available at $25 too.
Fair enough, thanks for the link!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PaybackJack posted:

Then you'll be glad to hear that Asmodee North America are about to cut the knees out from under anyone who deep discounts FFG products online.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

What successful company can we emulate? Why not Games Workshop!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Interesting. Still it seems like they're aiming more at distributors who also have a store front that sells product on the cheap. I'm not sure if CSI is a distributor or not, but if they buy their stuff from an authorized distributor then mark it down, I don't see how this changes that. It seems like the stuff about being an authorized retailer is more along the lines of if you can call yourself an "apple store" and get listed on the website or not. Of course once they have their deals with the 5 distributors they could hike up the price they sell to them at in order to keep the retail stores from discounting too much and keeping closer to MSRP on their own website.

Honestly though I can't particularly blame them for wanting to direct traffic to their own website and away from other people's, they probably do lose a lot of money that way. I wonder if it's just an American mindset that companies are somehow forced to include 3rd parties into their business procedures, I really don't hear people from other countries complaining about it. You hear the same grumbles in tech regarding Apple or Microsoft, or in comics regarding Marvel/DC wanting to shift readers to their online apps.

I guess ultimately it will go the same way as the Netrunner deck builder crisis. People will move on, complain about something else, and new sites will pop up that play by the new rules.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Foehammer posted:

What successful company can we emulate? Why not Games Workshop!

Based on what I know about Jerry (CSI owner. Cool dude. But now I feel like a name dropping douche.) and his attitude in general, I bet he'll do the same thing he did when GW modified their online sale policy, which was a stern "Not doing that. Go gently caress yourself."

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

edit: in fact, never mind, gonna wait till it's a bit clearer what's happening

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 19, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Unless you were paying Legacy, $120 would easily get you a competitive Standard deck in Magic. Even in Legacy, I had 2 competitive Legacy decks at $120.
If yore only looking to play with one deck forever that's fine and true, but to have the same experience as an LCG of having a playset of everything with a TCG, and to be able to deck build into any possible deck in a format, one needs to buy a lot of cards. At that volume buying singles and bulk commons gets to be cheaper than sealed product, so the ~$700-800 discounted cases id buy weren't the most cost effective, but they'd cover everything with the exception of some of the legendary rarity stuff and even going the bulk route would still have been quite a bit more than the cost of 3x LCG cores due to high-demand secondary market pricing on some cards. $25-50 single legendaries when a new set released was not uncommon, at least until the format was better explored, so I expect that I'd likely end up with a $300-400 bill still every time a new expansion released had I gone that way to have 4 of every card.

quote:

I'll concede it's a personal preference thing. But it's frustrating to me.
I get it, not saying you're flat wrong, just sharing a different perspective.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'll take having to buy three core sets in exchange for only dropping fifteen or thirty dollars every month or two for the rest of the game's life cycle to have a full playset of cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The only thing I wish they'd do with the LCGs is come up with a fixed retail price for their event kits. The things are loving print on demand anyway, so sell the promo cards yourself and stop complaining about distributors and retail stores over ordering and selling on ebay. They're missing a huge opportunity to make money with those and a large portion of their audience would pay for the alt arts and playmats. The fact that it took them so long to figure out that people would buy playmats is ridiculous on it's own. People wouldn't stop attending tournaments because you could buy the cards online, just sell them after the season is over when the kits are no longer being distributed.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
If they printed more copies of alt arts they wouldn't have value any more as a promo.

What worries me about the LCG model is the rising barrier to entry every time a new pack is released. The rotation period is long enough that it doesn't help. No new players = dead game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Man, you guys just gotta buy in on LCG's when they're on sale. AGoT core was $20 already at CSI. I have 4 cores and a chapter pack and haven't broken $100 on the game.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bottom Liner posted:

Man, you guys just gotta buy in on LCG's when they're on sale. AGoT core was $20 already at CSI. I have 4 cores and a chapter pack and haven't broken $100 on the game.

I bought Core + Chapter for $35 already from MM. It's still another $50 at that price to play with the cards in the core set though.

I'd rather they price this stuff higher and just include the full loving set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's my point, that would still only be $85 total for 3x core and a chapter pack, far from the $120+ the guy was saying 3x core costs. Basing actual cost on MSRP is a bit disingenuous.