Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I don't have any issue reading it in the proper voice, but I think being unable to do so would make it sound way too snarky. In the right voice, it sounds menacing and threatening instead of quippy and snarky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I don't have any issue reading it in the proper voice, but I think being unable to do so would make it sound way too snarky. In the right voice, it sounds menacing and threatening instead of quippy and snarky.

Basically, read it the same way JEJ reads "We would be honored, if you would join us."

edit: Alternately "Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly?"

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 17, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
drat, there was this really good video (Well, I thought it was funny. Years ago) that had JEJ lines from other movies with the vader filter on dubbed onto Star Wars, and I want to post it here, but I just can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Ah, here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0rwG39Jzk

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 17, 2015

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I can't remotely read that in JEJ's voice. It's too... snarky?

It works better if you read the last line as a big challenging bellow. Like Conan JEJ, though I guess that's still not really Vader JEJ.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Unlucky7 posted:

drat, there was this really good video (Well, I thought it was funny. Years ago) that had JEJ lines from other movies with the vader filter on dubbed onto Star Wars, and I want to post it here, but I just can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Ah, here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0rwG39Jzk

There's a better one that's just his dialogue from Field of Dreams. There's something about Vader marching towards Obi-Wan announcing "I'm gonna beat you with this crowbar, until you go away." that tickles me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I can't remotely read that in JEJ's voice. It's too... snarky?

I guess I would have expected Darth Vader to just choke the guy to death and not try to make dance jokes. :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Heaven forbid they should try to expand on the character beyond "wheeze a lot, cut sons arm off, get electrocuted, die".

He's supposed to be the Emperor's right hand and enforcer but people seem weirdly adverse to seeing him actually doing his job.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

This isn't the first time Vader did things like that. I definitely recall one movie having him choke one of the commanders who failed a mission and calmly saying "apology accepted" to the corpse.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
"I find your lack of faith... disturbing."

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Basically, read it the same way JEJ reads "We would be honored, if you would join us."

edit: Alternately "Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly?"

Honestly, thinking about it, Empire Strikes Back was great for "snarky" Vader.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Honestly, thinking about it, Empire Strikes Back was great for "snarky" Vader.

Actually, yeah. And who says being a Sith means you lose your sense of humour? Look at the Emperor, guy was laughing all the time!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Not this again...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We almost lost the badass thread to Star Wars and now this? What the gently caress if wrong with you people, post funny panels.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Oh boy, I'm just so tired of all these star wars.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I am a sucker for cameos in otherwise-unrelated comics.

(X-Terminators #1)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I almost thought that was a totally different comic guy and if it had been the difference would have been...

"Pathetic Earthling... what is your NAME?"
"Alan!"
"Exce--- Alan? As in Alan MOORE?! OH poo poo! EVERYONE RETREAT!!"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cyclops developed some controversial opinions after 9/11

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh no! Not Cyclops! Whatever will we do?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, that dude was riding a camel.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not a panel but a shot from the 90s X-Men cartoon with a high quality drawn prof X.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ferrule posted:

Not this again...

not MY Vader!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

:prepop:
USG 3

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Whats Jubilee doing in USG?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Not being a vampire, apparently. How'd they fix that one?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well where the hell else is she going to go? It's not like there's even the tiniest demand for her anywhere.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I thought there was some Secret War related shenanigans with the X-Men '92 mall rat Jubilee replacing 616 vamp Jubilee.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

That one's been a long time coming.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Not being a vampire, apparently. How'd they fix that one?

She looks like she has fangs when she takes a selfie with Doom, but on the other hand she actually shows up in the photograph.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sesq posted:

She looks like she has fangs when she takes a selfie with Doom, but on the other hand she actually shows up in the photograph.

Vampires don't show up in mirrors, who said anything about selfies?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MH Knights posted:

Whats Jubilee doing in USG?

It's a running gag in the issue that Kirby/Lee era DOOM! shows up and because SG's roommate Nancy needs his help, she has to convince various heroes that it's just a cosplayer.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Well where the hell else is she going to go? It's not like there's even the tiniest demand for her anywhere.

X-Men Apocalypse movie!
I'm guessing she dies in the first five minutes.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Lurdiak posted:

Vampires don't show up in mirrors, who said anything about selfies?

Eh, it's a vampire thing that they don't show up on camera, too. It was definitely a plot point in Tomb of Dracula a couple times.

Here's a funny panel. (Fantastic Four #10)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sesq posted:

Eh, it's a vampire thing that they don't show up on camera, too. It was definitely a plot point in Tomb of Dracula a couple times.
Film cameras involved mirrors.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zereth posted:

Film cameras involved mirrors.

Not really, the viewfinder did, but not the film. Film sometimes contains silver though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Cameras captured a part of the subject's soul and bound it. Vampires have no soul, therefore they don't photograph. Young people today are, as firmly believed by their elders, likewise soulless, yet their infernal devices have no problem taking endless selfies of them, ergo they operate differently from "real" cameras, and should this be able to photograph vampires.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phylodox posted:

Cameras captured a part of the subject's soul and bound it. Vampires have no soul, therefore they don't photograph. Young people today are, as firmly believed by their elders, likewise soulless, yet their infernal devices have no problem taking endless selfies of them, ergo they operate differently from "real" cameras, and should this be able to photograph vampires.

This explanation makes as much or more sense than anything else involved in vampire lore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Goons overthink simple sight gag, film at 11.

Marvel Holiday Special: Kamala Khan is all depressed/angry because she feels her culture prevents her from enjoying the month of December like everyone else.

Well she's not wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Goons overthink simple sight gag, film at 11.

Marvel Holiday Special: Kamala Khan is all depressed/angry because she feels her culture prevents her from enjoying the month of December like everyone else.

Well she's not wrong.

Should borrow a page from the Jews and get Chinese food.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Should borrow a page from the Jews and get Chinese food.

poo poo son, I've gotten Chinese on Christmas for the last 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

poo poo son, I've gotten Chinese on Christmas for the last 6 years.

This is either a condolences on not being able to visit your family for 6 years, or a congratulations on avoiding them for the same length of time. You pick.