Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The original Turok games were also notable for being part of one of Acclaim's desperate and hilariously stupid marketing schemes. They offered to pay a small sum to new parents who named their babies Turok. Around that time they also tried to buy ad space on actual tombstones for a comic book tie in game about a dude who fights Jack the Ripper in Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Launch trailer with more in-game footage, some N64 footage for comparison, and some really bad typography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHX5NArspxg

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

That Turok trailer looks great and Night Dive Studios are wonderful people for updating all these old games imo

The Strife port is really good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have so many memories of seeing Turok on friends' N64s and being like "whoaaa" (90s) but I barely remember playing much of it myself, a few of the early levels, shooting some dinosaurs and hopping on rocks.

The most memorable thing for me in the whole game is if you try to enter IDDQD or IDKFA the game just laughs at you, takes away all your weapons and kills your or leaves you with 1hp or something like that.

I always tried the doom codes in like every game back then.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Hey all

Are the Dark Forces + Jedi Knight games on steam good to go as they are?
Or are there source ports I should look at using?
Cheers

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I had trouble making Dark Forces work because Steam bundled it with an outdated version of DOSbox, but I found updating that to make the game playable, if a little janky (I'm someone who can bear not using a mouse to play). Jedi Knight took some finagling to work, although there are Steam Guides available that should help you. Also, about halfway through you might be unable to watch the FMVs because it will ask you for disc 2, which you presumably don't have lying around. Thankfully there's a handy playlist someone made on youtube of all the scenes, although if memory serves one of the final ones was flagged because of the star wars music used therein, so you might have to dig around for that one.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey all

Are the Dark Forces + Jedi Knight games on steam good to go as they are?
Or are there source ports I should look at using?
Cheers
Jedi Knight works fine for me on Windows 7, even supports 1080p in game. The menus and cutscenes are still their original resolution though, so the game switches to windowed mode for those. As far as I know there's no source port as the source was never released. There's mods for high res textures and making internet play easier, but that's it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Humans Among Us posted:

That Turok trailer looks great and Night Dive Studios are wonderful people for updating all these old games imo

The Strife port is really good

I still need to get the Strife port, maybe if I have cash after the holidays...

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember Turok 3 having some pretty impressive facial animation in its cutscenes for a game on the N64.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Keiya posted:

I still need to get the Strife port, maybe if I have cash after the holidays...

I think I have a spare key for it. I'll check when I get home, but if I do you can have it. It's a good game.

Nope, sorry :/

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 17, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm impressed at how suddenly scythe.wad went from great to poo poo.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Is there a music pack compatible with Quakespasm?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://screenrant.com/system-shock-3-release-date-details/

So there's been no work on the game, no release date, but they are trying to hire as many SS1 and SS2 people as they can. I see.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

dis astranagant posted:

The original Turok games were also notable for being part of one of Acclaim's desperate and hilariously stupid marketing schemes. They offered to pay a small sum to new parents who named their babies Turok. Around that time they also tried to buy ad space on actual tombstones for a comic book tie in game about a dude who fights Jack the Ripper in Hell.

The tombstone thing was for Shadowman, which owned. The ad campaign and the sequal did not own.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turok is up for purchase. Shame on the 19.99€ pricepoint (15.99€ until 24th Dec), but well, I can wait for a sale to get it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turok was also well known for its insane arsenal and being one of the pioneers of whacky cheat codes that were popular in the N64 era.

E:

The Kins posted:

Launch trailer with more in-game footage, some N64 footage for comparison, and some really bad typography.

Okay I missed this the first time. I really hope we're able to change the FOV and enable blood splatter.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 17, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

That boss battle actually looks way better with the black fog rather than seeing the terrible texturing in the room :lol:

The outdoor environments look pretty slick though!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

The sound design is amazing. :allears:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://screenrant.com/system-shock-3-release-date-details/

So there's been no work on the game, no release date, but they are trying to hire as many SS1 and SS2 people as they can. I see.

this screams "should have waited until they shipped out a product to announce it" to me

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Castor Poe posted:

Is there a music pack compatible with Quakespasm?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

That boss battle actually looks way better with the black fog rather than seeing the terrible texturing in the room :lol:

The outdoor environments look pretty slick though!

I genuinely hope we can mess with the fog settings, too. Turok isn't Turok unless he needs eye surgery :colbert:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Interestingly, Turok is also on GOG.com, with 19,99$ pricetag, now with -20% launch discount, so it's 15,99 for next week.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Because of this thread I purchase BLOOD and SHADOW WARRIOR and enjoy them greatly. Now I am so addicted to these old lovely games, I am planning to purchase Duke Nukem ATOMIC EDITION. Also maybe the Doom 1 & 2. Quake as well but it does not look as interesting? What other games are similar to the BUILD ENGINE games but not something I plan to already purchase?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shayu posted:

Because of this thread I purchase BLOOD and SHADOW WARRIOR and enjoy them greatly. Now I am so addicted to these old lovely games, I am planning to purchase Duke Nukem ATOMIC EDITION. Also maybe the Doom 1 & 2. Quake as well but it does not look as interesting? What other games are similar to the BUILD ENGINE games but not something I plan to already purchase?

You should check out the OP because it has all kinds of info on poo poo like this

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Klaus88 posted:

Somebody please tell me that community chest 3 becomes less of a slog after map 12.

809 monsters for god's shake. :shepicide:

Nah like Woolie Wool said, community map projects are plagued by humongous maps that tend to overstay their welcome. I feel like it's a common mapping problem in the same sense that amateur writers frequently think more pages = better stories.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Zaphod42 posted:

You should check out the OP because it has all kinds of info on poo poo like this

I wanted personal opinions of veteran posters as to what I may like the most from the OP.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Klaus88 posted:

I'm impressed at how suddenly scythe.wad went from great to poo poo.

I still have not beat MAP30. I took one look at that poo poo and resolved to just enjoy the first 25 levels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shayu posted:

Don't bother with Redneck Rampage in any form. It's awful.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shayu posted:

I wanted personal opinions of veteran posters as to what I may like the most from the OP.

From the OP, I highly recommend Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, and Half-Life.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shayu posted:

Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition is the #1 choice since you dig SW and Blood, plus it's the king. Doom and Doom 2 definitely deserve your time, and so does Quake I'd say. But I can see why the maybe the bleakness of Quake or whatevers may put it behind the others there for you, but try 'em all I'd say.

You'd probably also dig stuff like No One Lives Forever, but that's a bit less oldschool.

Also if you don't mind configuring source port program thingies after buying a game, Duke 3D has eduke32, Doom 1 & 2 have GZdoom, Quake has Quakespasm, etc. Though Duke's Megaton Edition port on Steam is solid as well.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Doom 1, Doom 2, Quake 1, and the original Unreal Tournament are the best starter pack for someone wanting to getting into classic FPS. You get three pioneers of the genre that hold up very well and a great intro to oldschool FPS multiplayer that has fantastic AI-controlled characters to play against.

All of them combined have an absoluatly gigantic pool of custom content that will keep you entertained for many years. Doom 2 and UT by themselves have a shitload of high-quality mods and maps. Quake 1 has a smaller amount of maps compared to Doom 2, but there are a ton of excellent custom single-player maps and very good fan-made AI opponents for deathmatch that can exceed UT's.

Blood is very difficult and Shadow Warrior can be very difficult as well. I'd recommend you play them later after you've got some experinece under your belt.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Go and check some Duke3D maps and campaigns for more of Build3D goodness. The switch to Doom after Duke3D may be a little jarring, because Doom is much simpler technology wise, and original levels sure show their age, but there is a ton of excellent mapsets which stretch the possibilities of the engine. Quake on the other hand feels more visceral and focused on combat than level exploration. Quake 2 on the other hand, while more varied and advanced in terms of tech, is much duller and more of "corridor explorer". Unreal, on the other hand, is a wonderful expansion on the core ideas of Quake, with enormous levels and varied enemy designs.
What I reccomend, is to play the title that you find the most interesting right now, then some add-ons and maps to see how certain games can be expanded and explored, design-wise. Then go on and check next game on the list. I don't actually consider Half-Life a part of the "classic" shooters, it's much more story-driven and scripted than the other games which we discuss here, but that's just me.

The games you should probably add to your "to-play" list are Marathon (the level design is not that great, but it is a quite unique game with interesting ideas), Outlaws (a little simple gameplay wise, but some maps are impressive and the soundtrack is genius), The Terminator: Future Shock and SkyNET (a little more tactical than the rest, but still great shooters), Chasm: The Rift (an interesting game, with gameplay placed somewhere between Quake and Doom) and SiN (the engine is dodgy as balls and the game tries to mimick Half-Life a little bit too much, but if you can make it work, it has some interesting stuff inside). Also Painkiller: Black Edition, because it's a super fun retooling of classic FPS designs (it plays like something between Quake and Serious Sam). Don't care about addons and Hell & Damnation too much, though, addons vary from mediocre but playable to absolute poo poo, and H&D is horribly optimized.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 18, 2015

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mak0rz posted:

I genuinely hope we can mess with the fog settings, too. Turok isn't Turok unless he needs eye surgery :colbert:
You can indeed! Devs confirmed fog option.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

You can indeed! Devs confirmed fog option.

Now we're talkin! :fap:

What about blood splatter? The purple sparks in the videos are what would happen if you turned the blood off in the N64 version.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Kind of an odd one came of that. Kaiser says it looked like a bug to him, so he changed it to red. Basically, no option but it's red instead of purple anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I really hope he reinstates co-op to Turok 2/3 if and when they get ported - Turok 2 had that hacky co-op glitch you could access with cheats that everyone seemed to know about, and Turok 3 was designed for two players but later restricted to one player due to technical issues.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nah like Woolie Wool said, community map projects are plagued by humongous maps that tend to overstay their welcome. I feel like it's a common mapping problem in the same sense that amateur writers frequently think more pages = better stories.

Also because community project leaders are typically unable or unwilling to provide any sort of discipline to the team, leading to map sets that vary wildly in size, theme, gameplay style, and difficulty with no progression or unity.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I really hope he reinstates co-op to Turok 2/3 if and when they get ported - Turok 2 had that hacky co-op glitch you could access with cheats that everyone seemed to know about, and Turok 3 was designed for two players but later restricted to one player due to technical issues.

Turok 2 had no co-op play.

E: Nevermind I apparently can't read. It worked in Turok 2 by using the level select cheat during a deathmatch, right? I think I remember trying that but only ending up with black screens.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mak0rz posted:

Turok 2 had no co-op play.

Not officially, but if you did the level select cheat during a multiplayer game you could play the single-player levels with 2 players. It was glitchy as all hell and crashed a lot but that never stopped anyone from doing it, at least in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Works flawlessly, thanks!