Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't it the same useless release like the 370x though

still, how did that somehow become a new release :psyduck:

Chinese markets are weird. Guess they're saving any performance Excavator for AM4 so as to not cannibalize sales of the new chip platform?

Also, content, a Fury/Fury X (since all Tri-X are unlockable to Fury X if lucky) with DVI! Also, likely the best custom PCB design so overclocking I guess?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Looks like it's up on Newegg, $499 USD + S&H.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The lack of DVI is a big part of why I didn't even consider Fury when I upgraded my card--since I'm still using a $300 QNix@96Hz instead of a $800+ Acer of some sort. Too bad it took them this long to come out with it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ragingsheep posted:

AMD's launching it's own open source version of Gameworks.

http://anandtech.com/show/9853/amd-gpuopen-linux-open-source

Nobody else picked up on this in this thread, but it's pretty nifty that AMD is trying to do things the right way. It could be because they are on the back foot, but regardless, it's nice.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Most of the stuff they've been pushing for a while now has been open, probably for the reason you state. Still, you're right- it's nice.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Has there been any hint at a Fury X DVI equivalent? I'd like to upgrade from my 280X but DP tends to break the content protection from my Ceton in such a way that DVI is my only option for booting Media Center's Live TV. Ideally using the HDMI output to DVI should work, but I'd prefer not to be 600 dollars poorer when I find out I'm wrong.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You mean like a AOI 980ti like EVGA Hybrid or MSI Sea Hawk or Gigabyte Waterforce? There is plenty of those but they're not 600 dollars.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

Chinese markets are weird. Guess they're saving any performance Excavator for AM4 so as to not cannibalize sales of the new chip platform?

Also, content, a Fury/Fury X (since all Tri-X are unlockable to Fury X if lucky) with DVI! Also, likely the best custom PCB design so overclocking I guess?

Pretty interested to see overclocking results. I never knew if it was limitations of the chip or rather some kind of poor reference PCB component design. Somewhat academic at this point for me though..

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

You mean like a AOI 980ti like EVGA Hybrid or MSI Sea Hawk or Gigabyte Waterforce? There is plenty of those but they're not 600 dollars.
In this case I need to stick with AMD for Eyefinity triple monitor, which limits me to the Fury line or a 3xx, which isn't much of an upgrade.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ZobarStyl posted:

In this case I need to stick with AMD for Eyefinity triple monitor, which limits me to the Fury line or a 3xx, which isn't much of an upgrade.

I've had very limited experience with 3 monitor setups, although I've heard the general rule of thumb is Eyefinity scales far better when you hit at least 4 plenty of times. But I thought both brands could do 3 just as well? Does anybody know about surround vs eyefinity for 3 monitors?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I've had very limited experience with 3 monitor setups, although I've heard the general rule of thumb is Eyefinity scales far better when you hit at least 4 plenty of times. But I thought both brands could do 3 just as well? Does anybody know about surround vs eyefinity for 3 monitors?

They can do 3 homogenous monitors roughly equally. Surround tried to drive my center 3440x1440 as a 2560x1440 so it would match, Eyefinity has no problems even with non-rectangular setups.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Oh yeah I didnt even consider resolution differences, even if just width

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Pretty interested to see overclocking results. I never knew if it was limitations of the chip or rather some kind of poor reference PCB component design. Somewhat academic at this point for me though..

Considering ASUS was able to design a PCB which reduced Fiji power draw (something like 12-22 watts IIRC on load) I really want to say AMDs reference design has a lot of room to improve on. Should be expected though, I get the impression that with availability on really happening in Q3 2015, Fiji was rushed out the door for Q2. 20nm planar loving up really hurt AMD which likely wanted to release the 300 series a whole two quarters earlier.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

I'm happy to be wrong about using AMD over nV for multi monitor: I've been chasing back and forth between the two companies since my GeForce 4. Whenever one comes up with better multimon control I switch over, AMD just had it before with making the stitched monitor transparent to the OS as well as bezel compensation. If nV Surround is better a 980 Ti could be an option.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
You are wrong ! Be happy!!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

You are wrong ! Be happy!!

In what way is NV surround better? There is a primary case where it is equally capable but I can't think of one where it's better.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

In what way is NV surround better? There is a primary case where it is equally capable but I can't think of one where it's better.

Its not, I wouldnt know, I just meant that he didnt *have* to stick with one brand or the other if thats the limiting factor for him, like waiting for a DVI Fury X

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Its not, I wouldnt know, I just meant that he didnt *have* to stick with one brand or the other if thats the limiting factor for him, like waiting for a DVI Fury X

Yeah, the trick is when you've got one thing that one brand won't do and a different thing another brand won't.

So if you've got 2560+3440+2560x1440 and you want to run them as one giant screen, but you also have multiple DVI screens, you're in serious trouble.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, the trick is when you've got one thing that one brand won't do and a different thing another brand won't.

So if you've got 2560+3440+2560x1440 and you want to run them as one giant screen, but you also have multiple DVI screens, you're in serious trouble.

Yeah at this point there are still definite choices you have to make. AMD has the better Eyefinity mode, NVIDIA has G-sync and DVI outputs. There's a pretty good lock-in right now to one ecosystem or the other.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah at this point there are still definite choices you have to make. AMD has the better Eyefinity mode, NVIDIA has G-sync and DVI outputs. There's a pretty good lock-in right now to one ecosystem or the other.

I'm hoping Freesync gets borderless windowed and crossfire support soon because then it'll be a total replacement or at least close enough. I'll cheerfully accept it being slightly less capable for the price difference between an XR341CK and an X34 though.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm waiting for FreeSync to pick up borderless windowed mode as well. nVidia products go for a larger-than-normal premium here, especially the G-Sync monitors ($300+ difference) and I would love to save that money.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

LiquidRain posted:

I'm waiting for FreeSync to pick up borderless windowed mode as well. nVidia products go for a larger-than-normal premium here, especially the G-Sync monitors ($300+ difference) and I would love to save that money.

Because I'm emotionally unable to cope without a 21:9 screen, I'll save the hundreds of dollars and hope they add support in later.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So I over clocked my cards (970 sli) and actually got a lower score in 3dmark. Any idea why that might be happening?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

beergod posted:

So I over clocked my cards (970 sli) and actually got a lower score in 3dmark. Any idea why that might be happening?
Define "overclocked." Did you push voltage? If so, there's a decent chance you're just throttling your cards faster.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

beergod posted:

Make sure you restart your PC after a driver crash, it's possible you didn't and your clock is in limp dick mode. But I've had lower 3dmark scores after OC increases too, try checking FPS in Heaven or a game.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Define "overclocked." Did you push voltage? If so, there's a decent chance you're just throttling your cards faster.

Voltage +60
core +200
memory +350

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Could be temp throttling, what's your max temp? Did you set a more aggressive fan profile?

What'd you do with your power/temp target?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 17, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Check your actual mhz for both clock and memory in afterburner (or whatever program youre using) during the test - for both stock and overclock values.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 17, 2015

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Do the 970s downclock when they reach a certain temperature threshold like the 980s do? I don't remember having too much of an issue with my 970 overclocks.

As was mentioned, though, it would only have issues after a driver crash during benchmarking. And I either had to restart the PC or afterburner.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AzureSkys posted:

Do the 970s downclock when they reach a certain temperature threshold like the 980s do? I don't remember having too much of an issue with my 970 overclocks.

As was mentioned, though, it would only have issues after a driver crash during benchmarking. And I either had to restart the PC or afterburner.

Pretty sure they do, and it's likely that a 200 MHz overclock on the core doesn't need voltage. Try it out, and if needed drop clocks for stability, and test raising clocks without adding volts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Before anything, set your memory offset to zero. If it's not zero and you crash you won't know if its memory or what.

I would be surprised if a +200mhz clock didn't require any additional voltage personally.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Before anything, set your memory offset to zero. If it's not zero and you crash you won't know if its memory or what.

I would be surprised if a +200mhz clock didn't require any additional voltage personally.

I think that depends on the factory oc actually. I've gotten my G1 Gaming up ~150 MHz, and that thing has a beefy factory oc.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
If he checks his before and after mhz the problem will most likely be evident. While its feasible to throttle in SLI, you'd have to have a pretty unforgiving combination of coolers and case flow to do it to 970's imo. If the mhz have increased as expected but still result in a lower score, it was likely a driver failure, or another resource eating into the score (even a cpu task like a virus scan affects 3d mark or steam updating games, or just a single instance of chrome can lower your score).

However if the mhz values are lower after overclock then he'd have to check the corresponding temperature, and then power usage (?) graph, for throttling which is the only time I'd probably consider going the "long route" for power target overclocking.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xthetenth posted:

I think that depends on the factory oc actually. I've gotten my G1 Gaming up ~150 MHz, and that thing has a beefy factory oc.

Ah gotcha. I'm on a g1 gaming 980 ti and I would definitely need +mv to add 200mhz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just installed a zotac AMP! 980ti for someone and holy crap what a nice card. The shroud is all aluminum and poo poo, even has a custom backplate. Running 1443mhz stock speed @ 65c with no overclocking or fan curves or anything.

This isn't even the 3 slot extreme one.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 17, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Wow 1443 mhz factory settings is the highest ive heard of

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Wow 1443 mhz factory settings is the highest ive heard of

I think Zotac's got the highest factory oc of any 980 Ti with the possible exception of a Galax hof model (and I think they leave the oc for those to the end user). It was the fastest at launch for sure.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is 1670mhz a decent OC on a 980ti?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Is 1670mhz a decent OC on a 980ti?

On water or air? That seems really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

On water or air? That seems really great.

Air, zotac 980ti Amp! stock cooler

So i never even looked at precision X lol. Didn't realize heaven showed incorrect clock speeds

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 17, 2015