Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Oldstench posted:

I agree. It's a bad game.

Except he didn't say that and it's not. It's a good game, it just doesn't have a ton of content in the box. I think for $25 it's fine. You get 4 classes with various upgrades to try, treasure and dungeon cards that will change each play, and a 5 quest campaign and a randomized quest. That's plenty of replayability for a card game IMO.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Foehammer posted:

Legacy games are basically chewing up and making GBS threads out everlasting gobstoppers

It's cool I have a reset kit so you can eat that gobstopper again!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know where to get 8mm clear tumbled acrylic cubes online? I can only seem to find them in sizes too big

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

There's no "mystery" scoring as such, but it's still possible to ramp up a lot of points in one turn - as many as 10, if you have the wine. Everyone knows you might be able to do it, but nobody knows if you have the right orders.

Right. I was thinking more about my own experience with point-salad games, where there's an elaborate final scoring and it's not obvious where everyone stands going in.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I assume you're talking about the explore exploit? We ran into that too, and just implemented a hard counter on the number of times per location you could explore. I'm actually ok with the amount of content. The campaign was ok, and the persitence mechanics were a nice innovation to the genre, but I think the game mechanics are strong enough to carry the game with just the random dungeon delve quest in repeat plays, at least until we get more campaigns.

For all my complaints, I suspect I'll pick up at least the first few expansions when they come out. I really like the streamlined dungeon crawler gameplay. It's the first time any game trying that has clicked for me and the campaign was a blast for the first one and a half times through. The mechanics really are wonderful at capturing the feel of a dungeon crawler while ditching the aggravation.

I still can't give FFG a break for half the game being broken out of the box or for not putting in a minimal amount of effort and throwing in a few more quests. This game is expansion bait in true FFG form. It's totally going to work on me but I'm still going to be annoyed about it.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone know where to get 8mm clear tumbled acrylic cubes online? I can only seem to find them in sizes too big

Have you tried Alibaba? The last time this came up I believe that was the go-to resource.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of components, who's a good custom printer to make a small deck of cards (40-ish). I'd prefer plastic, poker style. I only need two decks, no bulk.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of components, who's a good custom printer to make a small deck of cards (40-ish). I'd prefer plastic, poker style. I only need two decks, no bulk.

I used this to make a custom deck of critical-hit/miss cards for Pathfinder, they turned out really well and were a good price too: http://www.makeplayingcards.com/

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Morpheus posted:

I used this to make a custom deck of critical-hit/miss cards for Pathfinder, they turned out really well and were a good price too: http://www.makeplayingcards.com/

This is a literal clone of printerstudio.com's interface, so I'd guess the sites are related. Looks like printerstudio is cheaper per deck but I don't know what the shipping costs on MPC's site are. For what it's worth, I've used printerstudio for dozens of projects and their finished products are fantastic.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Glazius posted:

Right. I was thinking more about my own experience with point-salad games, where there's an elaborate final scoring and it's not obvious where everyone stands going in.

I wouldn't even call Viticulture "point salad", as far as I understand that term. You can pick up a few spare VP through using a windmill or tasting room or selling a grape or picking that turn bonus, but it seems virtually impossible to win the game without actually making wine to fulfill orders. When I think "point salad", I think of stuff like Stefan Feld games, where everything you do accrues a few VP and players can choose entirely separate paths to victory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The BGG store has them.

CaptainRightful posted:

I wouldn't even call Viticulture "point salad", as far as I understand that term. You can pick up a few spare VP through using a windmill or tasting room or selling a grape or picking that turn bonus, but it seems virtually impossible to win the game without actually making wine to fulfill orders.

I've seen someone break 20 points without making wine by churning Windmill, Tasting Room and Yoke, although they didn't win (the winner had 25). It wouldn't work under the revised rules where you only score from the Tasting Room if you have wine in your cellar, though.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You don't need to actually destroy anything. I suppose some people would get a thrill out of doing some as taboo as tearing up game components, but I feel the same way you do.

You don't need to. But the guy who bought the game heavily insists, because the first time we were asked to destroy a card, my friend kinda just put it aside in the game box, at which point my friend went "No, not like that" and picks it up himself and tears it in half. Considering this same person has gotten actually mad about slightly bent cards before, it was a little surprising but his enthusiasm for it certainly got the ball rolling and the game's been a total blast.

Played some more of it today, we're now seven months into the campaign and kinda kicking rear end? I didn't play a whole lot of the original Pandemic but I don't remember winning that much at the original but in this we've managed to win seven games out of nine so far and I feel like our group has struck a groove, I'm worried at this rate we won't get to see some of the content naturally.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I once won a game of Viticulture by giving tours and having a tasting room and making a few great bottles of wine and entering them into competitions or holding wine tastings.

Basically I made a few great bottles of wine but never sold any and tricked people into thinking I had a great winery.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Morpheus posted:

Ha, what, no. I mean, yes technically you can get Broken Token in Canada, if you're willing to pay more than half the cost of the product in shipping.

Which is hilarious, because that is how I generally see Broken Token myself - nice, if you want to pay 1/3-1/2 the cost of the game to organize it.

I need to find something better than ziplock baggies, but that does not cost the price of a game itself to acquire.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

The advantage to Broken Token inserts is that you can convince your lizard brain that technically you did spend money on board games this month, without actually consuming anymore precious shelf space.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You don't need to. But the guy who bought the game heavily insists, because the first time we were asked to destroy a card, my friend kinda just put it aside in the game box, at which point my friend went "No, not like that" and picks it up himself and tears it in half. Considering this same person has gotten actually mad about slightly bent cards before, it was a little surprising but his enthusiasm for it certainly got the ball rolling and the game's been a total blast.

Played some more of it today, we're now seven months into the campaign and kinda kicking rear end? I didn't play a whole lot of the original Pandemic but I don't remember winning that much at the original but in this we've managed to win seven games out of nine so far and I feel like our group has struck a groove, I'm worried at this rate we won't get to see some of the content naturally.

We are 6/6 and some players are considering intentional handicaps as they feel that we have taken such an optimized team we may never lose.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I recommend y'all just keep going and see what comes your way.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Crackbone posted:

This is a literal clone of printerstudio.com's interface, so I'd guess the sites are related. Looks like printerstudio is cheaper per deck but I don't know what the shipping costs on MPC's site are. For what it's worth, I've used printerstudio for dozens of projects and their finished products are fantastic.

What kinds of projects have you done with this website? I've been thinking of trying to print Glory to Rome. I know nothing about this yet. Would a site like this be an option or would that be legally off limits for them?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Impermanent posted:

I recommend y'all just keep going and see what comes your way.

That is my opinion. I can only hope we aren't able to outsmart the designers with our "totally awesome team of badasses".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Medium Style posted:

What kinds of projects have you done with this website? I've been thinking of trying to print Glory to Rome. I know nothing about this yet. Would a site like this be an option or would that be legally off limits for them?

They don't care. By printing the cards they aren't breaking the law, only if you sell or distribute the cards would that become an issue.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

They don't care. By printing the cards they aren't breaking the law, only if you sell or distribute the cards would that become an issue.

Surely printing an entire game would be illegal though? Like, if I ordered Dominion or Love Letter, that would surely be a violation of intellectual property or something?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Crackbone posted:

I think my printed mini cards, two decks of 32 each, were less than $16 total, including shipping to Canada. Probably cheaper, but I don't remember exactly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Surely printing an entire game would be illegal though? Like, if I ordered Dominion or Love Letter, that would surely be a violation of intellectual property or something?

Maybe, but who is going to tell the copyright holders? It's not like they are offering Love Letter, you have to upload it yourself, so if you report them you are turning yourself in just as much. I also imagine that paying someone to vet every card order for copyright would cost a lot of money and not make the service viable.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BonHair posted:

It would probably be cheaper to just buy Dominion, plus you get a box.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Mr Beens posted:

It would probably be cheaper to just buy Dominion, plus you get a box.

Only suckers would pay $30 for Dominion, when you can print 500 cards for $87!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Foehammer posted:

Only suckers would pay $30 for Dominion, when you can print 500 cards for $87!

Pfft, a true cheapskate can pull it off with $11 and a lot of free time :twisted:
http://www.amazon.com/Office-Impressions-Permanent-Markers-82440/dp/B001VEJTI8/
http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Blank-Index-Inches-30/dp/B002OB49JG/

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Would still look better than harem

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Crokinole board arrived today. I wasn't expecting it before Christmas, but they were able to send me the last carrying case they had in stock and it got here from Hungary in four days. The package had been opened by the UK courier and the 20-bowl and the Gliss were missing, but when I checked with the guy to see if they'd been shipped before filing a complaint he said "Don't bother, I'll send them on for free". Great customer service even if he forgot in the first place - I can forgive that in the hectic Christmas run-up.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Medium Style posted:

Tons of stuff. The interface is kind of a PITA to work with, but I haven't found anybody who does better quality stuff. I've printed out all sorts of poo poo, a card version of Puzzle Strike, my redesigned version of San Juan, Print n Plays, custom designed Galaxy Trucker credits, alternate BSG characters and whole variant loyalty decks. Their linen and plastic stuff looks drat near professional grade.

The really don't give a gently caress what you send them to print, or if they do boardgame copyright aint anywhere near their limit. For what it's worth, I have real copies of anything I did, or the game is out of print (Witch's Brew).

The real bummer is they used to do massive discounts for large batch cards - like literally $22 for a brick of 230. They upped their price last year and my projects have gone downhill as a result.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It cost me $16.22 to get a copy of Rolling Stock from them, including the shipping, because of a coupon. It's too bad the prices have gone up since the cards are a million times better than the crap artscow sent me when I ordered the fanmade Up Front. Artscow's cards reeked of ink and made my hands itch. Printerstudio's cards are like opening up a pack of Bicycle playing cards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How exactly does printerstudio work? I always want to get a printed copy of Rolling Stock but can't figure out how to do it. Step by step instructions would be awesome :)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Trickerion was a pretty interesting Euro-ish worker placement. Uses action points like Last Will, with a Colosseum-like goods system. The preparation/performance element is a bit unintuitive, so that can make or break the game for some people.

I am looking forward to the advanced rules, which add a bit of Tzolk'in prophecies to the mix.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone have impressions of Ladies & Gentlemen?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's not really a deep game at all. At least not on the Ladies's side. It's two parallel games being played there and there's little interaction between the two except for the ladies trying to get as much money from their gent as possible.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have impressions of Ladies & Gentlemen?

SU&SD are big fans.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hoiyes posted:

SU&SD are big fans.

In a good way or a bad way?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

In a good way or a bad way?

Depends on the person.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you've got a group that likes a bit of silly role playing it's fine. It's more an excuse for silly shenanigans than an actual game though.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
The theme is really fun and the game is neat for about 3 games but no one in my group has cared to bust it out since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I decided to buy Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. How likely am I to actually figure any of the cases out?