Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

gfanikf posted:

I'm referring to interactions between the combatants and the landscape, not that the land and sky are CGI.

The one thing that really stood out to me was that it seemed like the battle droids weren't quite attached to the ground. It's most obvious in the very first fight in the hallways of the Federation ship.

I also just re-watched A New Hope, and it's kind of distracting seeing a whole bunch of badly-done stunts and effects in that movie. For example, Obi-Wan's bar fight has zero physicality. Sword comes out, jump the camera around a few times, and then there's an arm on the floor.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It turns out that a bunch of ships and other things which I'd always assumed were CGI were actually miniatures which just looked CGI on screen. :v:

These things are part a matter of style and part a conceit to mask the actual CGI elements. It's like how Jurassic Park obscured most of its dinosaurs, showed them from far away, or put them in dark, rainy scenes. TPM pushed the tech by avoiding most of those tricks.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

The bad guy in it wants to replace Vader as Sheev's boy toy, and has reptile sex stink that arouses the hew-mon female. The idea of an alien which has become a sort of mimic/parasite of humanity but isn't necessarily some cannibal monster has some potential. Xizor just sex farts at Leia, until Chewie is like "Really, Leia?"

Then

Xixor real talk: He's a terrible character and everything Xixor/Leia is terrible always, except for one thing: the soundtrack accompaniment! Star Wars: The Waltz is one of your finer Star Wars musical selections, period.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dog days are over posted:

Kylo Ren has a huge nose. :)

I kept getting reminded of Young Sherlock Holmes.

I thought this was great, honestly. Hit all the right notes, even if there felt like some extremely convenient storytelling. Rey discovers she has the Force, and is suddenly really good with it. R2's been asleep for a period of X parsecs, and just wakes up when it's plot-convenient.

Snoke looked really good, and I hope that's his actual size, and not just a scaled-up hologram.

3D adds absolutely nothing to the film, it just makes it slightly darker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Revenge of the Sith down. Easily the strongest of the prequels. I like all the beats of anakin's fall, but man I wish they had lead into them more in AotC. It's believable, but oh so very rushed in this movie.

Something that stood out to me on this viewing was the fact that there are so many wacky wipes. Every single wipe uses some kind of weird effect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

Hit all the right notes, even if there felt like some extremely convenient storytelling. Rey discovers she has the Force, and is suddenly really good with it. R2's been asleep for a period of X parsecs, and just wakes up when it's plot-convenient.

Also those incredibly important MacGuffins that the plot revolves around just happen to have been held in a pouch and an unlocked box for several decades by some pretty random people who our heroes find really easily. I also don't think they ever explain how they got them in the first place?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also those incredibly important MacGuffins that the plot revolves around just happen to have been held in a pouch and an unlocked box for several decades by some pretty random people who our heroes find really easily. I also don't think they ever explain how they got them in the first place?

Presumably it has something to do with why Han and Maz know each other, that didn't seem like a huge stretch to me even if they handwaved it in a "we'll explain this later" kind of way.

Also I actually dug the way that Rey was instantly a badass soon after she discovered she was force sensitive. It says a lot about her character, I think, and it made the confrontation with Ren so much more powerful.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

I don't think they even explain who this guy is that is played by Max von Sydow. Based on the fact that he looks a lot like OT Ben, I would guess that he somehow relates to Rey's origin, which is by far the biggest mystery in the movie so far, as there is no female figure in the series that could be her mother and I doubt Luke was able to father a child with ~the force~ being the mother.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't think they even explain who this guy is that is played by Max von Sydow. Based on the fact that he looks a lot like OT Ben, I would guess that he somehow relates to Rey's origin, which is by far the biggest mystery in the movie so far, as there is no female figure in the series that could be her mother and I doubt Luke was able to father a child with ~the force~ being the mother.

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hakkesshu posted:

Presumably it has something to do with why Han and Maz know each other, that didn't seem like a huge stretch to me even if they handwaved it in a "we'll explain this later" kind of way.

You just know that it'll be explained pretty much immediately after the final scene of the movie when she's waving it in Luke's face so tune in next time to find out!!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There's the usual amount of weird wipes and scene transitions. I liked not quite knowing who an what everyone was, it was a good in media res or whatever it is. As was Ren's parentage - in fact Driver just nailed it, it was a lot like Anakin should have been in the prequels, if they were going to go with stroppy dark side teen angle, go that way with it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

I managed to snag the soundtrack and I know the music has come up a few times as generally "meh" but you people are crazy. This is vintage Williams right here. Maybe that opinion will change when I hear it in context with the film, but purely off the album, it's marvelous.

I'm listening to it now, and I like it more than any of his work on the prequels (as far as an overall score goes).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Todays the day, gents.

I hope you have your equipment prepared.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

Also in the middle of a marathon screening. AOTC just finished. Weirdly was better than I remember. Pacing was definately better than Phantom Menace. TPM also has not aged well. Some of he cg looked absolutely terrible on the big screen in hd.

I'd say TPM looks the best of the prequels. The CG doesn't "matter" as much, because, like Jurassic Park, the CG stands out more as eye candy than environment. Because TPM was shot on film, in more live environments, it looks by far the best of the prequels, with AOTC being a far distant third.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

cargohills posted:

They exist as much now as they did before. There was never any possibility of a sequel retaining of the EU stuff anyway.

This is a point I'm hammering hard into sperglords. A Star Wars facebook group I usually visit was flowing over with people bawling their eyes out at the de-canonization of the EU. One of the arguments fronted was "So it's like these things never happened at all!!!?"

Yes.

Your fiction is...fictional.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

Todays the day, gents.

I hope you have your equipment prepared.

Why is Han wanking into a storage locker?

Also, :smith:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The_Doctor posted:

Why is Han wanking into a storage locker?

Also, :smith:

It looks like Chewbacca's cutting his throat with a comically oversized razor blade

Or playing a comically oversized harmonica

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Removed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nah, Han Solo had a vasectomy after ROTJ
It's in the text scroll

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
No in this movie Han Solo becomes a star. Not a celebrity, but an actual star. This is seen as a good thing until he immolates his friends and family. Because he is now a star.

The second movie focuses on his penance on being a star, and the third film focuses on him going off to war as a star.

The next trilogy is him fighting in a grand Star War.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Darko posted:

I'd say TPM looks the best of the prequels. The CG doesn't "matter" as much, because, like Jurassic Park, the CG stands out more as eye candy than environment. Because TPM was shot on film, in more live environments, it looks by far the best of the prequels, with AOTC being a far distant third.

I've heard the opposite point being made, that the CGI in TPM actually stands out more because the rest of the movie was shot on film. But in AOTC, everything has a consistent digital aesthetic.

I think, as always, even something as seemingly straightforward as how "realistic" a special effect looks is actually very subjective. That's because very few things in movies actually look "real," not even the real live filmed elements. It's all been tampered with in some way to create a sort of hyperreality, even going back to the dawn of cinema. What a director sees on set with his eyes is not at all what will show up on film, and never has been.

But now, if a movie doesn't have film grain, or if it has too high a frame-rate, a lot of people say it feels "fake," even though in many ways it looks objectively closer to observable reality. A two-dimensional matte painting transposed to film looks more "real" than a three-dimensional model that was shot digitally. The real problem is that these things don't look fake in the right way.

This is the final, lingering shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it doesn't look even remotely real. (I've seen it in IMAX, and believe me, it stands out.) But no one ever complains about it having "aged terribly." Instead, it's a classic, a charming relic of a bygone era. It's fake-looking, but it's properly fake-looking. It's analog. It's authentic. It's hand-crafted. There were no scary digital robots involved with this one, heartlessly crunching numbers in a computer and sucking the living soul out of our authentic Spielbergian (™) childhoods. Goddamn robots. gently caress Skynet.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 17, 2015

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That shot looks real enough to me.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Cnut the Great posted:

I've heard the opposite point being made, that the CGI in TPM actually stands out more because the rest of the movie was shot on film. But in AOTC, everything has a consistent digital aesthetic.

I think, as always, even something as seemingly straightforward as how "realistic" a special effect looks is actually very subjective. That's because very few things in movies actually look "real," not even the real live filmed elements. It's all been tampered with in some way to create a sort of hyperreality, even going back to the dawn of cinema. What a director sees on set with his eyes is not at all what will show up on film, and never has been.

But now, if a movie doesn't have film grain, or if it has too high a frame-rate, a lot of people say it feels "fake," even though in many ways it looks objectively closer to observable reality. A two-dimensional matte painting transposed to film looks more "real" than a three-dimensional model that was shot digitally. The real problem is that these things don't look fake in the right way.

This is the final, lingering shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it doesn't look even remotely real. (I've seen it in IMAX, and believe me, it stands out.) But no one ever complains about it having "aged terribly." Instead, it's a classic, a charming relic of a bygone era. It's fake-looking, but it's properly fake-looking. It's analog. It's authentic. It's hand-crafted. There were no scary digital robots involved with this one, heartlessly crunching numbers in a computer and sucking the living soul out of our authentic Spielbergian (™) childhoods. Goddamn robots. gently caress Skynet.

I bet it looks p real on VHS and possibly DVD.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I always figured the 60fps issues in the hobbit came down to both CG elements and where the real interacted with the imaginary, and that extra temporal resolution allowed your eye, your subconcious, to quietly clue into the fact that the physics aren't QUITE right on the way the monster moves around, that the characters are sliding a little as they move. 24fps hides a lot of that detail from you, and it hides a lot of the wrongness. It's very hard to actually describe the where and why on watching it though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShineDog posted:

I always figured the 60fps issues in the hobbit came down to both CG elements and where the real interacted with the imaginary, and that extra temporal resolution allowed your eye, your subconcious, to quietly clue into the fact that the physics aren't QUITE right on the way the monster moves around, that the characters are sliding a little as they move. 24fps hides a lot of that detail from you, and it hides a lot of the wrongness. It's very hard to actually describe the where and why on watching it though.

Nah, me and other people found it was weird even when it was just people in costumes running down a hallway.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cnut,

I'd agree that the CG stands out more in TPM, but as alluded by you - it draws back to the days where an effect -was- a huge thing that really drew attention to itself. Similar to Jurassic Park or Jason and the Argonauts - it wasn't about blending (even though that was attempted, obviously), it was about drawing attention to the artistry that brought this thing to life. And TPM was one of the last movies that "worshiped" the effects in that manner.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I liked the middle of the film, but I'm not so sure about the first third and the last third.

It was far too fast paced to begin with, which everybody has already commented on. The new characters never really got to stand up themselves on their own two feet long enough before the old cast and call backs were thrown in. While the starkiller base was actually incedibly threatening (the shot of the crowds on fake Corustcant watched the bolts fly towards them invoked a feeling of cold war era impending nuclear armageddon), the fact that it was too much of a straight copy of the New Hopes plot made it cheesy and just made it feel a little bit like a knock-off video game or spin-off book rather than a fully realised sequel. If they had stretched out Jakku long enough to build up the new characters relationships with each other and folded the Han-Kylo Ren confrontation into the smuggler planet as the big climax instead, cutting out everything involving the super-death star, I think you could have a really good flim. While I sort of enjoyed it more than say the new Bond film for instance, I don't think this was a really good flim

And why did R2-D2 wait until just that last moment to reveal that he did have all the co-ordinates all along? What was that about?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The droids and aliens seem virtual because they are.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Just got back from seeing this and I'm about to go back for second time. I enjoyed it a lot, the comedy was great and the major plot beats were engaging.

I first saw the OT as a kid in one go and then wasn't as enthusiastic about the PT, at least when they were coming out, but I think I understand now a little of what it must have been like to see Star Wars in 1977. I need to see the next one and the frustration at not knowing what's coming next is palpable. At least, unlike audiences in '77, I know there is much more Star Wars to come, guaranteed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was rewatching the original trilogy yesterday to get ready for this and I forgot how many snakes there are on Dagobah. Nearly every shot has a snake, and Luke seems to get progressively more and more annoyed with the snakes, its great.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
SO loving HYPE

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

So, has anyone taken a swing at a timeline for the 30-year gap between ROTJ and TFA? I guess some of the new books will expound, but I would assume, using conjecture and stuff from the film:

- Galactic Civil War continues for at least one year after the Death Star II blows up
- Battle of Jakku happens, Civil War formally ends
- The Rebel Alliance takes control of the Imperial seat of power around this time (presumably still Coruscant)
- Galactic Senate is restored, Republic reformed but isn't quite as great as the Rebellion hoped
- A period of relative peace while the Empire's remnant reorganises (maybe around 10, 15 years?)
- Leia in some kind of governmental role within the Republic but none too happy about it
- In this period of time, Snoke is a known quantity to the Republic (Leia speaks about him as if she knew him)
- Ben Solo born
- Rey sent to Jakku around the time the First Order materializes to protect her from their hunt. Pretty sure Max von Syndow's character is in a Obi Wan-like protector role.
- Luke investigates the Jedi Order and tries to train people to become Jedi
- Ben exhibits force-sensitivity, has some training
- Things don't go so well, Ben leads some kind of revolt against Luke's teaching alongside other students (would explain Kylo Ren having a squad with him and the dead bodies in the Force-back), probably after Palpatine-like manipulation by Snoke - I would peg this around 2 or 3 years before TFA?
- Luke goes into self-imposed exile to get his poo poo together
- Han and Leia have their breakup
- Events of this movie???
-???

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Remember Snoke calls him one of the Knights of Ren, so presumably there's others out there somewhere..

OH, and coming back to the Resistance base after the finale, Chewie just strolls past Leia, ignoring each other? The person who unites them as best friends has just died, but nope, you go hug this girl you've known for about 10 mins.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Watched it with a couple of friends today. I am somewhat torn.

I enjoyed the poo poo out of it as long as there were only new characters on the screen. If this had been 135 minutes of Rey (she was killing it!), Finn, Poe, BB-8, and Kylo Ren, I would have been in Star Wars heaven. Because the world feels so real, everything you see has weight to it. Practical effects! I re-watched Episode III yesterday, and it's laughable how bad that movie looks (and is) compared to The Force Awakens. But the 2nd part of the movie felt like watching A New Hope 2015, and I really, really didn't need that. I know people want to see Leia, Han, and Luke, but personally, I can do without them just fine. Give me a 30 second hologram of the old guys, and then let the fresh blood take over this saga. It is the best Star Wars movie since Episode VI, but I left the movie theater feeling more or less neutral about the whole thing, something I did not expect, especially after the first 30 - 40 minutes, which were everything I was hoping for. Also, I wish Kylo Ren had never taken off his helmet.

edit:

v My screening had 8 people, including us.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 17, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My screening at midday had about 7 people in it. That was ace. I loved every second of it, and the 3D is fine. The titles and crawl look great in it, as if they were always supposed to be that way. The distance and scale it adds is definitely a plus.

Amusingly, the spoiler I accidentally triggered last night that I think a few other people did to was someone moaning about the Han point being spoilt by this forum, when in fact it hadn't been and was just a theory. So that guy managed to accidentally spoil it for a bunch of us, sweet irony. It's telegraphed so obviously though, it's not a big deal.

Personally I think they should've ended it with Leia saying goodbye to Rey, and given it an Empire feel... getting to the planet and meeting Luke added nothing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My screening was absolutely jam packed.

Jack's Flow posted:

I know people want to see Leia, Han, and Luke, but personally, I can do without them just fine. Give me a 30 second hologram of the old guys, and then let the fresh blood take over this saga.

Kylo Ren was trying REALLY hard to make that happen. :v: At one point he even tells Finn and Rey "It's just us now!!" but then they kick his rear end and go and dredge up Luke.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The fact Ren isn't the super badass sith warrior right away and has to finish his training at the same time as Finn & co is really refreshing, it makes it stand out enough from the OT for me. Also FINALLY no more loving sidious, dude had his run, hopefully they can flesh out who Snoke is in the upcoming films.

Ep 8 is going to be amazing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh we think Sidious is done ?

Huh.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I doubt I'm the first person to suggest it in the thread, but I expect this to happen in Episode VIII:

REY: I know who you are! You're my father!

LUKE: No, Rey. I killed your father.

REY: That's not true! That's impossible!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So was there ever a story or something about what happened to Jar-Jar Binks after he implemented space fascism for everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

vegetables posted:

I doubt I'm the first person to suggest it in the thread, but I expect this to happen in Episode VIII:

REY: I know who you are! You're my father!

LUKE: No, Rey. I killed your father.

REY: That's not true! That's impossible!

Needs to be more self-referential and tongue in cheek.

LUKE: Rey, I'm your-

REY: I know.

• Locked thread