Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Can you blame him though? Its not easy keeping up with the Lance Cogeco's and Jeffry Chatr's of the world.

He was only the 9th highest paid CEO in Canada last year. 9th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I already use shaw wifi more than anything on my phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I already use shaw wifi more than anything on my phone.

I'm not going to be caught dead switching back to loving Shaw internet, so I don't use their hotspots.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone using Koodo in downtown Toronto? I'm thinking of jumping ship to their 5gb data plan 300 minute calling plan since I go over my 2GB Virgin data cap regularly. Today I got the warning that I have 200mb left for December and I'm kind of ready to just find something that won't hamstring me.

I forget what I'm paying base right now but I'm trying to keep it around $100/mo

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Anyone using Koodo in downtown Toronto?

Yeah. You know where I live and work from the Toronto thread. Perfect service everywhere I go downtown. LTE on the 11th floor hits around 20-30mbit, at ground level I've speedtested around 60-70mbps. There's this weird data dead zone at King and University during rush hour but that's probably due to congestion. In fact, other than that, I can't remember a single time I've lost Koodo signal in Toronto other than obviously the subway and deep parking garages. It even works better in parts of my office building than the office WiFi does and we have some pretty beastly APs.

So I would say it's good. I've been with them a bit over a year now. Can't really beat the price for big-3 service, then again I am on the SKMB plan so YMMV.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Anyhow so what will the name be now

Robeshus?
Rawbelus?
Roawbeus?
Robelawus?

I never was too comfortable with Bell getting three letters while the others get two.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
They're not going to cancel any upgrades to the network just yet, because the deal isn't going to close until the upgrades are half done.

Pivo posted:

Anyhow so what will the name be now

Robeshus?
Rawbelus?
Roawbeus?
Robelawus?

I never was too comfortable with Bell getting three letters while the others get two.

I figured they got two and a half since L also applies to Telus.

And the right answer is Shrobelus, because it sounds like an evil lich queen.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Four Horsemen. But not in the Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death sense but in the Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson and Tully Blanchard meaning. Rogers being Flair (Being the dirtiest player in the game and all) and Bell being Arn with Ole as Telus given their fake kinship in LTE partnership. Shawind gets the Tully role.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 17, 2015

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

mediaphage posted:

the right answer is Shrobelus,

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not going to be caught dead switching back to loving Shaw internet, so I don't use their hotspots.

Funny how different experiences are. I'd say the same about Telus and have been happy with Shaw.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm on Teksavvy and couldn't be happier, after experiencing Shaw's bullshit for years. I checked their packages too, I'd be paying double what I am now if I switched back.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I have Shaw gigabit fiber unlimited, should I be worried?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DocCynical posted:

I have Shaw gigabit fiber unlimited, should I be worried?

... About what?

I wonder if the new Canadian government will quash this deal. Harper-era lackeys probably would, I'd think.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm on the 5GB MB/SK Koodo plan and I get great coverage everywhere. They're Telus's "budget" brand so they use the same towers as Telus.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

eXXon posted:

... About what?

Everyone is making GBS threads all over Shaw, I'm just wondering if I am missing something and am close to getting screwed or whatever.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DocCynical posted:

Everyone is making GBS threads all over Shaw, I'm just wondering if I am missing something and am close to getting screwed or whatever.

I've been with Shaw for a decade and pretty happy with them in BC, Alberta and Manitoba. Closest thing to a complaint I have is getting lots of calls offering me cable TV for an extra $14/month.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just find a bro who will add your devices to his account's WiFi whitelist for a sixer. That's what the wife and I did and she survives with an old, cheap 50MB data plan because she's always near a hot spot or using the home connection.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm on Teksavvy and couldn't be happier, after experiencing Shaw's bullshit for years. I checked their packages too, I'd be paying double what I am now if I switched back.

I joined Teksavvy a few months ago and it's been terrible. I get 2% of advertised speeds, when I get a connection at all, many days between 6pm and 11pm. Unfortunately, I'm using a $20 Craigslist Zyxel modem exploited to use bridge mode so I don't know if it's the line or the modem. My choices are 1) buy a new $130 modem from Teksavvy and if the connection is still poo poo I have to eat it, or 2) tell Tek to call in the Telus line inspectors and if they don't find anything wrong I'm stuck with the $150 bill and THEN have to try the $130 modem route. I hate Shaw and Telus but I'm still pissed.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Dillbag posted:

I joined Teksavvy a few months ago and it's been terrible. I get 2% of advertised speeds, when I get a connection at all, many days between 6pm and 11pm.

Where are you located? I'm having the same problem on TekSavvy (on a Telus Zyxel and a Telus ALU) at the same times of day here in Victoria.

When I called last night, the tech support person told me they've been getting a few of these reports in "the BC area".

Today I checked it around 6pm and it was great. Then it was poo poo after that, until 11pm. Is Telus overprovisioning and loving over TekSavvy somehow?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Weird how different our experiences can be, I guess. My speeds with Teksavvy consistently exceed what I pay for, and I never have any problems at any time of day. I have the DCM475 modem, and my building is quite new (2012), probably helps.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Teksavvy is almost always over provisioned due to the fact they can't afford extra space in the POI for their customers. This has been a long time issue with all the resellers.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Weird how different our experiences can be, I guess. My speeds with Teksavvy consistently exceed what I pay for, and I never have any problems at any time of day. I have the DCM475 modem, and my building is quite new (2012), probably helps.

My building is oldish, like 1970's construction, and TekSavvy cable thru what normally is Shaw is pretty excellent. My Internet was running terribly for a while, and me and my roommate thought our Internet was poo poo and we're going to switch, but we decided to buy a new router first. Lo and behold, a new router fixed our problem. I wouldn't be surprised that an old rear end modem could have the same effect

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Teksavvy is almost always over provisioned due to the fact they can't afford extra space in the POI for their customers. This has been a long time issue with all the resellers.

I thought with aggregate POI this is no longer a problem. Instead of a bunch of individual connections from a TSI POI to the Rogers last mile, there's just one fat pipe between Rogers and TSI. I was told that local POIs are no longer a thing. Of course this is just Ontario and rCable, I have no idea about sCable or vCable or anything else.

Anyhow, the slow speeds guy was talking about DSL I believe, not cable. DSL is finicky at best and many things can cause problems - poorly shielded copper on Bell's end, poorly shielded/installed/etc copper on your end, distance to the DSLAM, quality of the modem... DSL has always been hit or miss for me too.

Cable with TSI has always been great for me, EXCEPT when Rogers fucks up and we have to call them out to fix their last mile - that's always a bitch - but TSI's network has been solid.

Paying for 150/15, not too shabby eh

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Experiences with TSI will literally vary from neighbourhood from neighbourhood and between DSL and Cable. It all depends on who's infanstructure they are using and how old it is.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

experienceBeej posted:

Where are you located? I'm having the same problem on TekSavvy (on a Telus Zyxel and a Telus ALU) at the same times of day here in Victoria.

When I called last night, the tech support person told me they've been getting a few of these reports in "the BC area".

Today I checked it around 6pm and it was great. Then it was poo poo after that, until 11pm. Is Telus overprovisioning and loving over TekSavvy somehow?

Commercial Drive area of Vancouver in a 10 year old duplex. Good to know it isn't just me. I found one report of my version of the airport express having problems with pppoe but it doesn't explain why it's always exactly at the same time every night. And it's definitely fine during the day, I've been off work for the last 2 weeks and would know if it wasn't.

Back on topic, I hope Wind keeps their US roaming prices. It's the only reason I'm still with them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol if you think that Shaw isn't going to gently caress you over before long.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Wind didn't have the assets or enough pull with creditors to get the kind of capital financing needed to advance much further in a reasonable time table vs its competitors...but yeah it feels like a pyrrhic victory considering that Shaw will probably butcher their value.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I'm guessing Shaw and Rogers will do some sort of swap or deal and Shaw will focus on building towers in the West and Rogers in the East ala Bellus dealings

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

Just desperately hoping that it doesn't simply end up being the fourth option with all the same plans, now.

I fully expect it.

It was nice having "unlimited" (5gb) data and unlimited talk and text for $30 while it lasted, I guess... :smithicide:

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Four Horsemen. But not in the Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death sense but in the Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson and Tully Blanchard meaning. Rogers being Flair (Being the dirtiest player in the game and all) and Bell being Arn with Ole as Telus given their fake kinship in LTE partnership. Shawind gets the Tully role.

The Cartel™.

(wrestling-wise, I always liked "The Legion of Doom", myself)

Rogers delenda est

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 18, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mister Macys posted:

I fully expect it.

It was nice having "unlimited" (5gb) data and unlimited talk and text for $30 while it lasted, I guess... :smithicide:

That's pretty much the only reason to stay with them :(

I"m going to hate having to play double for half as much data

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Seriously the affordability is the only reason why I'm still with Wind. Bad coverage be damned.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
If I outright buy a Moto X Play from any of the carriers, all I need to do is unlock it and my Mobilicity SIM should work fine right?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This past week I switched from Mobilicity to Wind because Roger's data network is loving terrible, only to find out that Wind doesn't give me reception anywhere in my apartment. :suicide:

I finally nutted up and switched to the Koodo $48 SK/MB plan and ported my number over. :feelsgood:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

McGavin posted:

This past week I switched from Mobilicity to Wind because Roger's data network is loving terrible, only to find out that Wind doesn't give me reception anywhere in my apartment. :suicide:

I finally nutted up and switched to the Koodo $48 SK/MB plan and ported my number over. :feelsgood:

Ahahaha what? Rogers' data network isn't terrible, though the part of it you use as a customer of Mobilicity (post-acquisition) might be. The two cannot remotely be compared, and Rogers' network is loving amazing compared to the awful shitshow that is Wind's.

Good to know the Koodo plan trick is still working; I'm going to try it when I get back home from holiday traveling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bad things about Rogers: prices, customer service, level of giving a poo poo, speed of update approvals, basically everything

Amazing things about Rogers: their network speed/quality/coverage

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pro: Roam like Home is actually not a scam and works as advertised.

Con: All the stuff that makes you able to call that a pro.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Ahahaha what? Rogers' data network isn't terrible, though the part of it you use as a customer of Mobilicity (post-acquisition) might be. The two cannot remotely be compared, and Rogers' network is loving amazing compared to the awful shitshow that is Wind's.

Good to know the Koodo plan trick is still working; I'm going to try it when I get back home from holiday traveling.

The Rogers network they put the Mobilicity customers on is absolutely horrible. Also Roger's network in western Canada is nowhere near as good as it is in the east.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 21, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

McGavin posted:

The Rogers network they put the Mobilicity customers on is absolutely horrible.

Hahaha did they actually put Mobilicity customers on a different network, what the gently caress

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hahaha did they actually put Mobilicity customers on a different network, what the gently caress

Yeah, they put Mobilicity customers on the 3G roaming network.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Weren't Mobilicity customers mostly using handsets on different frequencies? (AWS, etc) I don't know how much tower sharing they and Rogers were doing before the buyout but I can imagine the experience being different between the two sets of customers for some time.

Not that I have any evidence that this is the case - even if they did already transition everything properly, McGavin's would still have the problem that Rogers has worse network quality in the West than they do in the East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Weren't Mobilicity customers mostly using handsets on different frequencies? (AWS, etc) I don't know how much tower sharing they and Rogers were doing before the buyout but I can imagine the experience being different between the two sets of customers for some time.

Not that I have any evidence that this is the case - even if they did already transition everything properly, McGavin's would still have the problem that Rogers has worse network quality in the West than they do in the East.

Mobilicity and Wind phones use different frequencies from any of the other carriers, so their customers can't use Rogers' main network to begin with. I had to get a new phone to switch to Koodo.