Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy poo poo I'd be 3-10 if I played Tylers schedule. He'd be 9-4 in mine which would have won the division handily since he'd have beaten Metapod and Chen 3 out of 4 times instead of once like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
can we allow schedule trades next year?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hahaha

BTW I didn't set a fresh lineup this past week, so I dunno if I'd have lost (I probably would have).

I do think we should discuss rebalancing the divisions for next year. I planned to bring it up after the season finished, but now is fine too.

Option 1: don't rebalance. The NFL doesn't!
Option 2: Randomly rearrange all teams. Just like this year, it'd be down to luck which teams are in your division.
Option 3: Rebalance based on record, attempting to fill each division with an even mix of "good" and "bad" teams.

Option 3 is the hardest. We'd have to come up with a metric (Points For?) for ranking teams, and then another method for deciding what divisions to slot them in. No matter what, the #1 team would have to be in a division and the #12 team would have to be in a division and they're just not going to come out exactly balanced that way.

There's also Option 4: change our divisional structure completely. E.g., have 2 or 4 divisions, or no divisions?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
when my team does poo poo next year can we rebalance again? lmao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We could just rebalance every year, actually, yeah.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Part of me doesn't want to rebalance. I just want to see if I can eventually beat these guys that pounded me so badly this year.

The other part of me hopes a rebalance will fluke me into the playoffs because I dont think my team will jump 300 Points For in a year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pre:
Team				Current total salary	Current salary cap space
First Down Syndrome		$167.50			$82.50
Who Da Titoons?			$219.00			$31.00
Percy Riot			$155.00			$95.00
Gridiron Chefs			$203.50			$46.50
Team McLean			$207.00			$43.00
Former Kicker Ray Finkle	$229.00			$21.00
Mediocre Cougars		$181.50			$68.50
Ash Ketchum Gotta catch em	$215.50			$34.50
Concord Concordes		$214.00			$36.00
1017 BRICK SQUAD		$158.00			$92.00
Placeholder Team Name		$144.50			$105.50
Hawk Hunters			$216.50			$33.50
pre:
Placeholder Team Name		1	$ 79
Mediocre Cougars		2	$ 67
First Down Syndrome		3	$ 31
1017 BRICK SQUAD		4	$ 46
Hawk Hunters			5	$ 43
Percy Riot			6	$ 76
Team McLean			7	$ 80
Ash Ketchum Gotta catch em	8	$ 27
Who Da Titoons?		 	9	$ 64
Concord Concordes		10	$ 0
Former Kicker Ray Finkle	11	$ 0
Gridiron Chefs	Brian Wilk 	12	$ 9
I guess my reverse psychology on Tim Hightower worked! I could have gotten him for a dollar instead of blowing the rest of my budget for the year. Oh well!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Leperflesh posted:

We could just rebalance every year, actually, yeah.

why

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well the idea would be to make it so that a good team doesn't miss the playoffs due to being stuck in a division with three other very good teams, while an "easy mode" division has three teams with 6-7 records actually having a shot at the playoffs. Rebalancing the divisions annually would help to mitigate that, supposedly.

But like I said, the NFL doesn't do that. It means you might miss the playoffs while a team with a better record gets in, but that can always be the case when you have divisions.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
yeah that sounds no fun at all. Sorry about the lovely teams in other divisions, but I see no reason why my team (or division lol) needs to suffer for other teams' mismanagement :smuggo:

maybe don't spend $15 for kiko alanso next time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Just name the hard division the afc east and name our division the nfc east or any south division

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
my team is like the patriots team that went 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I vote no rebalancing.

Also, I'm starting Gore and either Riddick or Matt Jones this week. God, my team sucks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Zack posted:

I vote no rebalancing.

Same

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Zack posted:

I vote no rebalancing.

Also, I'm starting Gore and either Riddick or Matt Jones this week. God, my team sucks

can i interest you in a lightly used eddie lacy

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Devonta Freeman is available for the right price. gently caress, my whole team is available.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bloody posted:

Yes

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Something that was mentioned finally sunk in - next year's draft includes the FA pool post-cap casualties. Before that happens I would like to suggest an alternative because having slotted salaries to draft from the FA pool after we did an initial auction draft is really rather awkward. It allows cap casualties to be acquired possibly at a 'bargain' instead of what the market will bear, and vice versa possibly. Is it possible to separate the FA pool into another auction draft using the upcoming season's FAAB $ (maybe having to adjust that upward slightly to accomodate) and have strictly a rookie draft as the snake with slotted salaries?

Just thinking out loud - it still works as it is set now, but I feel FA should stay separate from the rookie draft.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's certainly possible, although that devalues draft picks, and we've already had one draft pick trade.

It's true that FAs can be picked up at draft prices, but we also have IR slots for a reason. Feel free to grab those FAs now, and sock them away. Potentially for less than their draft-round prices.

And it's also no coincidence that teams eliminated from the playoffs might be willing to preemptively sock away injured guys at the expense of needing depth/warm bodies to try and win a playoff match.

e. Oh and I do see what you mean about "cap casualties" - but if you overdrafted someone and now their cap is ruinous to you, dumping them and maybe seeing them picked up as a first-round pick is what's supposed to happen. Eventually those guys will see their salaries rise over the years again.

The fixed-salaries set for the draft picks were a stab in the dark, by the way. We can certainly discuss whether you guys think they're appropriate, or need adjusting.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 17, 2015

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Part of the fun of dynasty leagues is rivalries within the league that build up over time, so I vote don't change divisions.

As far as next years draft/FA's etc. I still champion the idea that draft picks should be rookie only and just a few rounds (2 or 3) while FA's should be an auction (after rookie draft to fill rosters) That can definitely be done, especially if as others suggested when vote to change sites.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

No

Spermy Smurf posted:

Devonta Freeman is available for the right price. gently caress, my whole team is available.

No

Any thoughts on having more IR slots next year?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

e. Oh and I do see what you mean about "cap casualties" - but if you overdrafted someone and now their cap is ruinous to you, dumping them and maybe seeing them picked up as a first-round pick is what's supposed to happen. Eventually those guys will see their salaries rise over the years again.

The fixed-salaries set for the draft picks were a stab in the dark, by the way. We can certainly discuss whether you guys think they're appropriate, or need adjusting.

My opinion is that we're doing it right. The entire NFL FA market (including rookies) are a draft. It's just a draft with set prices for first rounders. Should I grab that third year WR someone dropped because the price was too high, or should I grab the rookie RB that looks pretty drat good in college? That's the sort of thing we'd be doing. Maybe we should bump the prices (from $20 to $30 for first rounders?), but I like the idea of drafting from the entire pool of players.

I don't really understand why people aren't trying to drop high priced dudes and pick them back up on the waivers for less right now to be completely honest. Edit: Oh, some people don't have poo poo for waiver money anymore. I only have $31 :(

The Zack posted:

Any thoughts on having more IR slots next year?

I vote against this. 2 is good, it helps the IR prices, but more would mean 12 more IR guys never get dropped or traded because why would you. Hell, have any decent IR guys been dropped this year? Don't think so. Why make it worse?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's actually a draft with fixed prices for all rounds:

quote:

Salary of drafted players is determined based on their selection position, as follows:
The first four picks in the first round are paid $20
The fifth through eighth picks are paid $18
The ninth through twelfth picks are paid $16
All players drafted in the second round are paid $8
All players drafted in the third round are paid $4
All players drafted in the fourth round are paid $2
All remaining drafted players (fifth and later rounds) are paid $1

This stuff is all bolded in the rules, which probably is because we never actually voted on the specific numbers, but I don't remember for sure, I'll have to check the thread history of the old recruit thread.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Either way, those might be a bit low based on how expensive the first-tier guys are.

If someone has to drop Adrian Peterson because they paid $50 for him and he jumps to $60 next year, and then I can grab him for $20... I could keep him for 3 years without reaching his initial purchase price.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suppose I could do something like: find the top 12 paid players in the league, average their current salaries, and use that as the round 1 baseline number? (fist four being baseline + X and last four being baseline - X, where X= some smallish number).

Here's the top-paid 24 players in the league:

Antonio Brown, $56
Eddie Lacy, $53
Rob Gronkowski, $49
Odell Beckham, Jr., $48
Charcandrick West, $47
Le'Veon Bell, $46
Julio Jones, $46
Lamar Miller, $43
Jeremy Hill, $40
Jamaal Charles, $40
Dez Bryant, $37
Matt Forte, $35
DeAndre Hopkins, $35
DeMarco Murray, $35
A.J. Green, $34
Adrian Petersen, $34
Andrew Luck, $33
Demaryius Thomas, $32
Marshawn Lynch, $32
Aaron Rodgers, $31
Mike Evans, $31
Calvin Johnson, $31
Brandin Cooks, $29

Average of the first 12 is $45. Average of the second twelve is $27. Average of all 24 is $36.

Notably, a couple of teams have zero players on this list.

Anyway I think those numbers are too high. There might be a small number of high-value dropped stars at the top of the draft, but what if there's only like four of them? $30+ for an untested rookie is just too much, and $45 is crazy talk.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Notably, a couple of teams have zero players on this list.

:woop:

Yeah, you're absolutely right that $45 for a rookie first rounder is pretty insane.

I don't know, wait for others to post.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's a few more things to consider;

The worst four teams (by regular-season record) get the first four draft picks in rounds 1 and 2. If someone is capped out and has to drop an Antonio Brown, he's going to go to one of those terrible teams and provide them with a big boost, especially at a lower salary.

But: draft picks are tradeable. So if you are the one having to drop AB, you can trade with the team with the #1 pick, for their pick. You can offer multiple players if you want, as well as your own picks. So if you're picking sixth, you could trade up, offering your #6 pick, plus two good players whose salaries total more than that $20 that AB is gonna cost... or whatever.

Second: The whole point of escalating salaries is to force those high-value players back into circulation. And since draft picks are set by record and also tradeable, each high-salary guy forced back into circulation is most likely to go to a struggling team, but not definitely.

And third: you have $250 of cap space. Players only go up by 10% a year. That means Antonio Brown is only going up by six bucks this year, and that's the largest jump in the league. If you really really want your guy, you can keep him. Antonio Brown is probably keepable right the way up to $100+, for a team that has carefully held on to bargains elsewhere. The Gridiron Chefs have led the league, and they have $64.50 of cap space left. Finkle has $21. The Chefs' highest-paid player is Andrew Luck at $33, who is only going to cost $36 next year, while Finkle will see AB go to $61, Gronk go to $54, Hopkins go to $39, and Forte go to $39. That all fits (barely) under his current cap space. He can drop any one of them and free up cap space, or just manage as-is.

So I think it's quite unlikely that more than two or three big-name players wind up going for a huge bargain, even at $22. We could adjust those numbers if you want to (and I'll hold a vote if there's enough call for it), but it's not going to affect that many teams, and it's only going to penalize teams that have multiple high-value players on their benches... so in other words, blowing your whole salary on five guys and then 20 1-dollar scrubs is a short-term strategy, which everyone could have figured out before our draft this year and some folks obviously took into account when drafting.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 17, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Leperflesh posted:

Here's a few more things to consider;

The worst four teams (by regular-season record) get the first four draft picks in rounds 1 and 2. If someone is capped out and has to drop an Antonio Brown, he's going to go to one of those terrible teams and provide them with a big boost, especially at a lower salary.

But: draft picks are tradeable. So if you are the one having to drop AB, you can trade with the team with the #1 pick, for their pick. You can offer multiple players if you want, as well as your own picks. So if you're picking sixth, you could trade up, offering your #6 pick, plus two good players whose salaries total more than that $20 that AB is gonna cost... or whatever.

Second: The whole point of escalating salaries is to force those high-value players back into circulation. And since draft picks are set by record and also tradeable, each high-salary guy forced back into circulation is most likely to go to a struggling team, but not definitely.

And third: you have $250 of cap space. Players only go up by 10% a year. That means Antonio Brown is only going up by six bucks this year, and that's the largest jump in the league. If you really really want your guy, you can keep him. Antonio Brown is probably keepable right the way up to $100+, for a team that has carefully held on to bargains elsewhere. The Gridiron Chefs have led the league, and they have $64.50 of cap space left. Finkle has $21. The Chefs' highest-paid player is Andrew Luck at $33, who is only going to cost $36 next year, while Finkle will see AB go to $61, Gronk go to $54, Hopkins go to $39, and Forte go to $39. That all fits (barely) under his current cap space. He can drop any one of them and free up cap space, or just manage as-is.

So I think it's quite unlikely that more than two or three big-name players wind up going for a huge bargain, even at $22. We could adjust those numbers if you want to (and I'll hold a vote if there's enough call for it), but it's not going to affect that many teams, and it's only going to penalize teams that have multiple high-value players on their benches... so in other words, blowing your whole salary on five guys and then 20 1-dollar scrubs is a short-term strategy, which everyone could have figured out before our draft this year and some folks obviously took into account when drafting.

Forte is up for trade btw. Willing to take any number of garbo running backs or picks for him.

Offseason dynasty is the best. Forte is in a contract year and I'm betting he'll end up on a contender next year - or watch him run for 1500 yards in Dallas next year or something. Dwayne Allen will probably get featured somewhere like Tampa Bay or Atlanta too - pretty excited about that.

I'll keep antonio up to $249 if I could ~~

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think the most likely scenario is that the only guys getting dropped are the ones whose salaries are too high to justify keeping, by a lot. Maybe a few of those guys are worth more than $22? I could see that. Maybe the first four picks should be $24, or $26 or something.

I don't see a guy "worth" $40 getting dropped because he's now $50. If a guy costing $45 "ought to be" $30, and some team gets him for $22? Well, that's a bargain, but not an outrageous one, especially for a struggling team to bolster their lineup with. Most of us are going to wind up with some huge bargains from $1 and $2 rookies who wind up being "worth" $30 in a year or three.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I like the initial draft scale we are using but am willing to allow it to go up a few bucks if others have a problem with it. Also 1 draft with everyone is where I stand

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Many dynasty leagues also have maximum keepers (like, you have to drop guys after 4 or 5 years no matter what), sometimes with a couple of exceptions (a "franchise" player slot or two). It's still early for our league but it's an option we can consider.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

By the time someone is too expensive to keep they're probably old and not as good any more and resetting their salary probably makes sense like that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like doing it with salaries increasing every so often. Also will force trade movement etc. Keeper rules need not apply other than that I think.

I would love to see taxi squads implemented, which would be like some more roster spots. Also in favor of another IR spot, but this is effectively all stuff to thin the Free Agent pool, so not sure if ya'll would like that or not.

Also maybe move to MFL next year before the rookie draft? The interface blows compared to ESPN, but it is feature rich for dynasty. We could add the cost of entry on to the league fee if that would work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm fine with moving to MFL if you guys want to share the cost.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am against any kind of taxi squad, more IR slots, bigger bench, or anything of the sort.

When you have a crap team (4th lowest points represent!) and there arent any halfway decent or at least consistent guys it just blows.

In the beginning of the season I had my chance to grab a few good guys but did not bid high enough and thats on me. But those guys wouldnt have fixed my team by any means.

Whats the cost of MFL? Does it have an app that is halfway decent?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya I have a free bench slot and I'm not particularly confident there's anybody on waivers worth stashing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't understand that. You can always roll the dice on a $1 lottery scratchoff ticket, if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor.

I'm regretting blowing my last eight bucks on Tim Hightower, seeing as nobody else bid on him, because as of right now there's at least one player on the wire I would want to stash.

I'd start pointing out names and arguing for them, but that would probably be unfair to anyone who has there eyes on a player that I wound up naming.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
To continue my thoughts on FAs in the draft now that I have seen some other thoughts -

As I said before the current system does work and if we keep it no complaints. Adjusting the starting salaries of drafted players can be looked at after the season or whenever, but as described the curve looks pretty solid IMO. Maybe tweak the $ up a bit due to the FA pool being involved? This will be a fluid situation that will probably need to be looked at once we know exactly what that pool of players will be. Chances are this year's pool will not have the impact players to have any salary adjustments, but down the line a year or two it may need scaling up as well.

I always took dynasty as making it similar to how being a GM for a team would be, and thus my thoughts on the FA pool staying separate. This would be like every free agency period year to year in the NFL. Keeping them separate does allow for a team to try to possibly 'buy' a championship from the FA pool, then dump salary at the end of the year if other teams are cap constrained during the FA period. This would not happen this year I do not believe, and may never happen, but I think it grants extra options to managing a team not available with just the draft setup that is currently in place. The current system limits the top veteran players to the team drafting instead of an open-for-all-to-bid FA, which probably does help to balance the field a bit. Also if we do this and want a more competitive balance then have the best record team commit all cuts, then the next highest, etc. which would allow for the losing record teams to see what the pool is shaping up as and make their cuts for salary cap space (if any) according to who they see cut that they might want to acquire.

As for a proposed FA structure (assuming they are separate) for the next season I would say have all cuts made prior to the rookie draft, draft the rookies, then after a period of time TBD have either an auction draft for the FAs using next year's FAAB (my preference), or just use the FAAB waiver system already in place but allow plenty of time for everyone to evaluate and bid on existing FAs as a one-time acquiring during the preseason. So either open auction or sealed bid can be done. Just fleshing out the idea more for all of yous who care (probably no one!).

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 18, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

because as of right now there's at least one player on the wire I would want to stash.

I am super curious about who this is since you have Cecil Shorts, JJ Nelson, and Gabbert on your bench. If it's someone worse than those 3, then I don't even know what to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Here's what salaries look like over time for various draft positions