Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Static Equilibrium posted:

Joking about shooting people over a card game is pretty hosed up when it turns out that you in fact decided to bring a gun with you to that card game.

It's like a Nevinyrral's Disk, you pack it but pray you never have to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Death Bot posted:

Equipment cards give the creature the ability, or at least that's how the saying goes.

Sounds like a motto for unbanning SFM:

Batterskull doesn't kill people - the germ does.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

OssiansFolly posted:

I took Rising Waters and Sphere of Safety out due to the cost of them...I was trying to keep my Tax items low cost to get them out fast and even if I had Winter Orb or something out (why I cut Stasis too...). You are probably right with Elecutors, Aether Barrier and Suppression Field.

My playgroup knows better than to 'nutpunch' the guy with a gun, but I can see them rage quitting and I am ok with that being a win condition.

Edit: Also tried to keep my Tax cards low enough that I could get them back with Sun Titan...

This is the quote in question.

And yes, there is a high a chance something wrong with you if you feel like you need a gun to protect your magic collection at all times.

Also in case you didn't know, the folks who joke about scenarios where they may need to use their weapon are the folks who fantasize about using their weapon. Not the best people to hang around.

TLDR: The only thing worse than a GROGNARD is armed GROGNARDS.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
imo you shouldn't nutpunch people with guns, but tbf the 'with guns' part is irrelevant 99% of the time

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

JerryLee posted:

imo you shouldn't nutpunch people with guns, but tbf the 'with guns' part is irrelevant 99% of the time
Well you also shouldn't play magic and you definitely shouldn't spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for the privilege of doing so, and yet here we all are. This thread is not exactly full of people who are great at making decisions.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 17, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well you also shouldn't play magic and you definitely shouldn't spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for the privilege of doing so, and yet here we all are.

Tough but fair.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm tapped out and my opponent starts to combo off with Twin. He says that's game, but I coolly reply "There's something you've forgotten." Before he can say anything, I pull out my Glock and shoot him three times in the chest. "You die to removal."

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

if you have circle of protection: artifacts out does that prevent damage from guns?

guns are not artifacts as portal second age clearly shows

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

No. The only thing worse than a GROGNARd is a political GROGNARD.

Playing some casuals last night, and someone thought it would be a good idea to note that he made his first ever contribution to a political campaign. (To Bernie, btw.) This made the guy sitting next to me think he had carte blanche to go all Paulite on us claiming that he doesn't like any current politicians and that Andrew Jackson was the best president EVAR (despite the whole Trail of Tears thing). :gonk:

I had to keep repeating "no politics" while staring the guy down until he shut up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

This is the quote in question.

And yes, there is a high a chance something wrong with you if you feel like you need a gun to protect your magic collection at all times.

Also in case you didn't know, the folks who joke about scenarios where they may need to use their weapon are the folks who fantasize about using their weapon. Not the best people to hang around.

A hahahaha of course it's OssiansFolly

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

he heard EDH was a more political format. :downsrim:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

T: CARDNAME deals 4 damage to target creature. If that creature is nonblack, put an Aura enchantment token named Arrest onto the battlefield with "Enchant creature" and "Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated" and attach it to CARDNAME.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

GeneX posted:

On the one hand, sure, the eldrazi titans are colorless.

On the other hand, if they weren't, Ulamog would be G, and Kozilek would be U, maybe UB.

I guess milling your opponents library and and exiling any permenant are totally green though.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 17, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Damage doesn't destroy creatures, state based actions destroy creatures.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If we outlaw Sol Rings only the outlaws will have Sol Rings.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

still bummed we didn't get 'Black Mana Matters' as our thread title

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a Hermit Druid is a good guy with a Hermit Druid.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

The time for that was 2 standards ago

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I still chuckle about "Exploit should have been a White mechanic."

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The fact that it isn't currently a clever card reference and is instead a meta comment on the state of this thread is disappointing.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rimusutera posted:

The fact that it isn't currently a clever card reference and is instead a meta comment on the state of this thread is disappointing.
...it is a clever card reference.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rimusutera posted:

Sorry you didn't get the reference, here's the card:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Printed in response to Invoke Prejudice

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Oh, right.

I forgot about that.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Opponent had island, mana crypt, mana vault kuldotha forgemaster into blightsteel turn 3. :gonk:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

netcat posted:

Opponent had island, mana crypt, mana vault kuldotha forgemaster into blightsteel turn 3. :gonk:

Too bad you left your Smith & Wesson at home or this would be a better story.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

netcat posted:

Holiday cube really is the best part of MTGO.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nah, the best part of MTGO is getting to play magic naked without being arrested for it again.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Too bad you left your Smith & Wesson at home or this would be a better story.

But I am at home... I must have left it at the store.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Nah, the best part of MTGO is getting to play magic naked without being arrested for it again.

"again"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The gun is good. The penis is evil. Stay with the times man.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

It's actually LSV and suicidesteve playing shops last night

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Sometimes, being in the thick of the tournament scene make you get blinders to the rest of the world going on around you. So tonight I just got a real eye-opener. This might run a little long, sorry if I rant.

My daughter is 7, and she's really shown an interest in playing games with me. After months of telling her she needed better math skills to play the Pokemon TCG, she progressed enough for me to stab at it. I picked up a cheap two-person set. She picked up on the rules right away (I haven't played it since 2001), and most important, she really enjoyed spending time with me.

I went to my LGS tonight for FNM. I busted my prize packs, and there's a Gideon I didn't need. I traded it in and grabbed a bunch of Pokemon packs for my daughter. Inside the pack was a code. I went home, turned on Pokemon Online, put in the code, she got an online pack to go with her real one. She also got a theme deck, a bunch of rares, and 5 packs to get her started. The game moved flawlessly and it has an attractive GUI.

That one Gideon bought my daughter 4 packs of real cards, 4 packs of Online cards. Plus the 5 packs and the theme deck she got free. Wizards wants me to buy my cards twice, in two secondary markets they don't control. They attract new players through a poorly built Steam game that only sorta-kinda emulates real Magic. Players get there and find the best decks in the room are hundreds of dollars (God forbid they come on Modern night). Your store determines the prize support ranging from only Top 8 to everyone gets a pack, to store credit. Wizards is kind enough to hook you up with 1 foil for Top 4 of an uncommon that may or may not see play in the format it's in. High-demand reprints like Modern Masters are printed in low supply and mixed with a lot of chaff no one ever asked for.

I'm not saying Magic is bad or Wizards is trying to kill the game, nothing like that. I just haven't been to any big-box store lately and not seen/heard of every other CCG in the world putting out tins of in-demand reprints, or finding new ways to add value in the online space. While these games have been trying to claw their way into a crowded market over the years, this is what Wizards gave us:

- Discontinued Magic Player Rewards
- Switched to an MTGO client every beta tester said was not up to snuff
- Started printing low-cost staples at mythic (Voice, Warden, etc.)
- Discontinued Gateway promos/league
- Let Legacy die rather than abolish a foolish promise
- A 3-year trend of watering down the standard pool, making sets that are top-heavy with almost all value in 2-4 mythics
- Released not one, but 2 Modern Masters sets with dramatically reduced availability and a mixed-bag of needed reprints vs. 3/4 chaff
- Let SCG run willy-nilly as the price-setter of the secondary market, driving up pricing through buy-outs and generally harming the ability to attract new people to formats
- Removed mythic Pre-Release foils (finally going back on this...by turning it into a lottery)

I've complained about some of these topics before, but it didn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth until now. Taking a step back made me realize at some point after I started loving Magic, Magic stopped loving me. I have to pay for every little thing I want to do with their game, and the pricing is absurd. I used to get all sorts of rewards and thanks for playing, and 'get psyched for the next set, here's the pre-release foil bomb!' and packs felt worth opening. Now I take 5 prize packs and leave 50 cards on the table for anyone who wants it, and throw the rest in a binder with the other 30-40 cards I've cracked that no one wants.

So, rant over. I have my decks for the format I play in, maybe I'll just start playing for store credit and add to my daughter's new collection.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pokemon is a good example of a well-realized online component to the original game. You don't have the same collection in both, but you kinda get two boosters for the price of one (or you can offload the code for some money on the side), and last I checked, the online bit isn't shy about giving you cards without paying, or competing with others, it just places trade restrictions on them. Yes, the client wasn't perfect (when I played), but it was responsive and mostly good, and it LOOKED sleek, it looked like a product made in 20XX (I think I played back in 2013 or so, for reference. Around the time when you couldn't run Professor Juniper and the new Professor Whatever with the same effect in decks together, you had to pick one or the other).

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
if you're opening packs for anything but booster draft, you're doing it wrong. If your store lets you take credit for prize instead of packs, do that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think a lot of that is because Magic, having practically invented the TCG/CCG format, has the ~prestige~ to get away with a lot of that stuff (or at least thinks they do). Everyone who's into card games knows Magic, and their business model still appears to be a wild success for them. Until another game can challenge them in the physical space I don't think a lot will change, though if Hearthstone has the legs people say that it has (I've never played it) then you might see MTGO change in response, which I know a lot of people are hoping for.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Pokemon is a good example of a well-realized online component to the original game. You don't have the same collection in both, but you kinda get two boosters for the price of one (or you can offload the code for some money on the side), and last I checked, the online bit isn't shy about giving you cards without paying, or competing with others, it just places trade restrictions on them. Yes, the client wasn't perfect (when I played), but it was responsive and mostly good, and it LOOKED sleek, it looked like a product made in 20XX (I think I played back in 2013 or so, for reference. Around the time when you couldn't run Professor Juniper and the new Professor Whatever with the same effect in decks together, you had to pick one or the other).

non-sourced quoting from mtgsalvation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, the online pokemon TCG does look pretty slick. I think the game is worse than Magic, but not by a huge margin either (at least at the intro deck level, tournament level decks might be different). I wouldn't blame anybody who switched to Pokemon for those reasons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Is there a shiny mega Altaria card and if not then gently caress the Pokemon TCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Is there a shiny mega Altaria card and if not then gently caress the Pokemon TCG.

There isn't even a regular Mega Altaria card yet. :rip:

I actually quite like the Pokemon TCG, it's a significantly better online experience than MTGO and costs peanuts compared to trying to play Magic (especially since I'm outside the US). Is there a better thread to discuss it somewhere? I'm sick of going to 4chan to talk about a children's card game.

• Locked thread