Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Default is the best antagonist in this game because he's the most fun to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

General Ironicus posted:

I cannot wait to see whether you guys murder him or not when this arc ends. I know I went very Robocop with it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

IIRC, when you see Defalt in person ctOS says he's actually in his 50s (he's still in the stupid mask so you never see what he looks like.)

We actually still don't know who the third hacker was.
"third hacker" Jesus Christ.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There was no way two hackers could have fired their hackings so fast - there had to be a third hacker on the gassy knoll.
I liked the bunker hacking scene because it was all written as if the author's understanding of computers ends at "you wouldn't download a car."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What does anything in the plot have to do with anything else in the plot? Is it just a giant pile of hackers all trying to hack the same thing so they get to be the one to blackmail apparently every single human being in Chicago?

quote:

There was no way two hackers could have fired their hackings so fast - there had to be a third hacker on the gassy knoll.
I liked the bunker hacking scene because it was all written as if the author's understanding of computers ends at "you wouldn't download a car."

I liked how it didn't occur to anyone to turn the power off until after they lost the hackoff.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That hacking at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Almost positive I've posted this video before in this thread

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
And now "the fox" must hunt "the rat". I can see the complex web Ubisoft is weaving here, and I appreciate it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I like to think "Defalt" is just a typo that nobody caught in the fifty script revisions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Also, if Aiden had cooperated and brought the data... No guarantee that Damien would have kept his end of the bargain but Defalt would have presumably hacked him instead and left him with nothing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

General Ironicus posted:

Nothing inspires hatred like being the same bullshit techno-wizard as Aiden.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nothing inspires hatred like being the same bullshit techno-wizard as Aiden.

Defalt is like 'super-aiden'. He is twice as skilled at hacking as aiden is, uses memes twice as much, and has an outfit that's twice as impractical as aiden's.

He must represent the monster that Aiden could've become had he lost focus of his family. Or better yet he actually is time-hacking future-aiden.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We missed a really good opportunity for Aiden to throw a few cracks back at Iraq. Iraq threatens Aiden's family, he snarks back "You already killed them! That's why I'm here, rear end in a top hat!" Iraq goes, "What?"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Can the writers of WatchUnderscoreDogsUnderscore2 just watch Mr. Robot and learn from that awesome show?

Hell, the protagonist is actually likable in that show, it's a start.

But jeez, this game needed more characters 'cause twists don't work that well when there are only five characters actually relevant to the plot.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

I'm another Person of Interest fan, a show about an omnipresent computer system that watches people every hour of every day and predicts violent crimes before they happen, and the vigilantes who try and use that information to keep those crimes from occurring. Unlike Watch_Dogs PoI is actually a good show that actually shines a spotlight on things like the surveillance state and the ramifications of vigilantism (and the ramifications of artificial intelligence, in many respects PoI is a stealth cyberpunk/sci-fi show that snuck in under the guise of a procedural) so it's not like the the concepts that went into Watch_Dogs can't be turned into something good, it's just a shame that what resulted was something so paint-by-numbers and unambitious.

Word to this. I've been catching up on POI and with every update of this LP I just can't stop thinking how badly Aiden wishes he were John Reese.

Except Aiden is just completely lacking in the humor and complexity and self-awareness. And fashion sense.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Can someone explain to me why Maurice is still around? I mean, he's basically useless as a source of info at this point. All Aiden's doing is torturing the guy for all eternity because he feels like it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Blastinus posted:

Can someone explain to me why Maurice is still around? I mean, he's basically useless as a source of info at this point. All Aiden's doing is torturing the guy for all eternity because he feels like it.

W_D is pretty much about taking forever to shoot every messenger ever.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I wonder what the neighboring apartment complexes thought of Iraq blaring his monologue over a loud speaker. I was waiting for some old guy to pop his head out a window and yell about not being able to hear his stories.

Okay, so who is this Default guy again? He's the Deadmau5 hacker, right? This game is turning into Ninja Turtles with all the freak-of-the-week villains popping up except none of them get their own show for build up. They're just raining from the sky without plot to support them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Thank you

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Suspicious Cook posted:

Okay, so who is this Default guy again? He's the Deadmau5 hacker, right? This game is turning into Ninja Turtles with all the freak-of-the-week villains popping up except none of them get their own show for build up. They're just raining from the sky without plot to support them.

Clara mentioned Defalt a couple videos ago when she was talking about people trying to hack the bunker and that she had stopped them all. Defalt was the best of the lot but didn't give her any real trouble. It was such a nothing, throwaway line that I knew he had to come up again, but this poo poo is just silly. Like the only plot twist this game knows how to pull is "oh my god, other people exist and have desires and previous lives. Isn't that positively shocking?"

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I'm the guy living in the apartment across the street who hears Iraq threatening to murder Aiden's family over the PA.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this game really could use some Fisher Stevens.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Once again, Iraq would have been a much more interesting character to have played as.

Edit: Basically, the whole scene at Rossi-Fremont is this.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 17, 2015

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Tempest_56 posted:

Which makes this whole plan even dumber because Damien seems to be assuming that Aiden isn't going to keep a copy of the giant archive of blackmail for himself, and never asks about the status of Iraq or the original.

He never even asks where Aiden got it. Far as I can tell, Damien is still clueless about who screwed up the Merlaut job.

Blastinus posted:

Well, he does seem to be the only one aside from the little boy who's emotionally wrecked by the little girl's death. Granted some of that may have to do with being hunted down, kidnapped, and tortured, but the audio logs don't present a hardened child killer, so it's like the game is doing a weird thing where it's humanizing the killer of niece/daughter more than Aiden, but also not actually caring about him enough to make him apart of the bigger plot.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

In Perfect Dark, you could shoot guns out of their hands(or hit their arm accidentally and they'd limp away.) At which point, they'd try to pick it back up and you could kill them or stick them up or we. Don't remember if the guns would have those silly giant bulletholes pasted over them like in Goldeneye.

You could also shoot out the lights and confuse them or shoot them with the hidden psychosis gun and have a small army of constantly actionrolling bodyguards. PD in general had a lot of fun lil ways you could screw with the ai that a lot of players never seemed to notice.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ApeHawk posted:

Can the writers of WatchUnderscoreDogsUnderscore2 just watch Mr. Robot and learn from that awesome show?

Hell, the protagonist is actually likable in that show, it's a start.

But jeez, this game needed more characters 'cause twists don't work that well when there are only five characters actually relevant to the plot.
This game and LP is getting me to watch the first 5 episodes of Mr. Robot and...yeah wow Elliot really is Aiden Pearce except he realizes he has many problems and tries to take some steps to address them.

A detox hot sweat nightmare hallucination journey would be a pretty good way of forcing Aiden to acknowledge his own personality.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked iraq's power armor. must have needed a ton of adhesive for it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Argent Cinereus posted:

That actually makes Iraq popping out in the same place the guard dies even more confusing.

It's a bug- they normally spawn simultaneously.

Suspicious Dish posted:

so, plot summary so far, because i'm still confused in this loving mess of a video game. is this about right?

merlaut job with damien / aiden. it went bad, hacked by a combination of defalt and iraq.

defalt hired clara to find damien / aiden, and also to lead aiden into doing stupid poo poo like heading him to an "unhackable", "off-the-grid" bunker.

damien asks for ip address, clara tries to throw it off path by telling aiden he needs to hire bedbug, which bought clara / defalt plenty of time to hack the "unhackable" bunker with.

aiden, led on by damien / jordi, finds master hacker t-bone, charges into rossi-fremont and gets all the data. iraq gets killed in the process, and aiden now has the data. defalt is really mad, so he uses his uber pwned hack he laid in the bunker steals the data back, and for some reason also exposes clara as being an agent of defalt's for some reason???? why did he do that?

Merlaut job was only hacked by iraq. Iraq was the third hacker- using the CtOS access he has to get as much blackmail on those in the hotel as possible. Some of this is further explained in the last video.

Default didn't hire Clara- that was another person, explained next video. Default hacks the bunker because he wants the data and is an independent black hat hacker. He has no other motives in the main game.

Tempest_56 posted:

Which makes this whole plan even dumber because Damien seems to be assuming that Aiden isn't going to keep a copy of the giant archive of blackmail for himself, and never asks about the status of Iraq or the original.

Damien doesn't actually want Aiden to get the blackmail material, or at most it's of secondary importance- he wants Aiden to make a giant mess so he can get in with Blume, something he accomplished last video. As per the audiolog a couple videos ago, Damien is pretending to care about the data to get Aiden to do what he wants. What Blume has-Belwether- is the real prize.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 17, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wow. It's even more boring than I thought.

I'm struggling here because I always think I'm missing something, but, no, Defalt is literally just a one-off Deus Ex Machina to move the plot forward.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm struggling here because I always think I'm missing something, but, no, Defalt is literally just a one-off Deus Ex Machina to move the plot forward.

deadmau5' hacking career will be brilliant, you just have to give him a chance

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly don't remember most of the characters in this game.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Manatee Cannon posted:

deadmau5' hacking career will be brilliant, you just have to give him a chance

Hopefully it's better than his live mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJrXQC56U1w Skip to 2:00:05.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Suspicious Dish posted:

He doesn't even do that, he specifically sets the plot backward. They got the data and were ready to trade it in, and then this rear end in a top hat shows up to just interrupt the possibility of concluding the story even more. Defalt exists as padding for the game.

SaltyMoose
Jan 4, 2013

no seriously stop
Having played this game from start to finish, I did not remember to be this bad. As to deadmau5 hacker: He is pointless to the plot

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Hostile V posted:

Hopefully it's better than his live mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJrXQC56U1w Skip to 2:00:05.

Man, that was so bad, especially compared to the stuff he normally does.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SaltyMoose posted:

As to deadmau5 hacker:

Unlike all the other plot elements.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

If you've been wondering "when is something going to happen in this game?" then today is your lucky day, because something actually happens! Kinda.........

:psyduck:

I can't loving believe this game, holy poo poo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crowetron posted:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this game ends on a "To Be Continued"
My bet's on finding everything needed to wrap up the plot in one room.

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked how it didn't occur to anyone to turn the power off until after they lost the hackoff.
I liked how turning the power off didn't turn the power off.

EDIT: I think that perfectly sums up Watch Underscore Dogs, really: They turned the power off, which did not turn off the power. ~Hacking~

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Bonus while I had everything set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blastinus posted:

It is the game showing yet another character who would be a better protagonist then Aidan.

• Locked thread