Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'll be damned, they had GIFs in 1944

but did they pronounce GIF with a hard or a soft g? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psion posted:

but did they pronounce GIF with a hard or a soft g? :v:

"Gee Aye Eff."

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Seven Men in a Boat - to say nothing of the badly beaten Navigator

it's fairly common knowledge that if we run out of fuel over open water and the pilot is armed, the nav probably isn't making it to the raft :v:

Totally saving that picture for use with my students - any chance of a higher-quality scan?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I love the IL2 one, I've seen it before... The entire manual is basically a comic book with the simple linear sequence of how to get through a flight.

Quite a jarring reversal from the main body of text with the occasional explanatory picture that we're used to.
What other way to build up an air cadre from a population of peasants?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Gotta love the TF2 Spy shooting swastika rays from his fighter.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

vessbot posted:

I love the IL2 one, I've seen it before... The entire manual is basically a comic book with the simple linear sequence of how to get through a flight.

Quite a jarring reversal from the main body of text with the occasional explanatory picture that we're used to.
What other way to build up an air cadre from a population of peasants?

A lot of WWII flight training material is made in this manner...not necessarily aircraft manuals, but the textbooks they learned from in their ground school classes. Many of them are quite beautifully illustrated too, especially the US Navy's "Flight Thru Instruments".

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrChips posted:

A lot of WWII flight training material is made in this manner...not necessarily aircraft manuals, but the textbooks they learned from in their ground school classes. Many of them are quite beautifully illustrated too, especially the US Navy's "Flight Thru Instruments".

I have that one! The book tent at Oshkosh truly delivered.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From my Thanksgiving vacation to NYC:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrChips posted:

I have a B-17 manual and it's loving hilarious.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_-13r0Keqw

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

From my Thanksgiving vacation to NYC:

Nice. I know what scheme I'm gonna use for the J-7 model that's gonna show up at my house one of these days...

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

One last batch for the new page:

This is among my favorite of the images I've posted just because of the sheer disparity between the dryness, technicality and Heller-like modernity-absurdity of the information (an in-depth examination of the ways saving your own life will muck up the beaurocracy of warfare) and the aesthetic beauty of the presentation—these could respectably hold their own opposite Rothkos and Newmanns in exhibition, imo.

This should be a familiar sight for a fair few of you. Il-2 cockpit

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Air India worker 'sucked into engine'. From all the way next to the nose wheel apparently?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-35115579

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jonny Nox posted:

Nice. I know what scheme I'm gonna use for the J-7 model that's gonna show up at my house one of these days...

Both MiGs are Polish models painted in North Vietnamese camo schemes.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

Air India worker 'sucked into engine'. From all the way next to the nose wheel apparently?

That's why you open the window and yell 'clear prop' drat it

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoKsF_UXeGg

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Caution wake turbulence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlv16ETueU

Remember, the condition that most exacerbates a wake turbulence encounter is when you're following an aircraft that's:

Heavy
Clean Configuration
and Slow

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Too bad my Blade 120 SR is only 3.75 oz according to the website.

Since it would be free if I registered now, I was kind of liking the idea of getting an FAA tail number for it just for flying around my living room. :haw:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Remember, the condition that most exacerbates a wake turbulence encounter is when you're following an aircraft that's:

Heavy
Clean Configuration
and Slow

And remember that AN-2's have no other configuration. :v:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

xergm posted:

Too bad my Blade 120 SR is only 3.75 oz according to the website.

Since it would be free if I registered now, I was kind of liking the idea of getting an FAA tail number for it just for flying around my living room. :haw:

If it had enough spare lift, you could just tape a roll of pennies to it or something.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

So does this count as a clean configuration, or...

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

In the related videos, not sure if it's been posted before but I thought it was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYGUROZ_Pg. Does anyone actually do afterburning RC size turbojets or is that just things getting hot when they're throttled up?

Never mind, looks like it only has one engine and LEDs in the backs of the nacelles. Not quite as cool, but still awesome.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 17, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drzrma posted:

In the related videos, not sure if it's been posted before but I thought it was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYGUROZ_Pg. Does anyone actually do afterburning RC size turbojets or is that just things getting hot when they're throttled up?

Never mind, looks like it only has one engine and LEDs in the backs of the nacelles. Not quite as cool, but still awesome.

Pretty cool, yea. I was just going to post that those appear to be LEDs to simulate afterburners. I completely missed that it was just a single engine in the centerline though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

monkeytennis posted:

Was it a piston engine or a turban engine?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Phanatic posted:

Oh god, you're awful

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The only way you could configure most AN-2s "clean" is with a bucket of solvent.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

MrYenko posted:

What's worse than wake turbulence is when you're behind an AN-2 while it's doing its flying backwards in a headwind thing.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Platystemon posted:

Behold the world’s shortest commercial flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyVWaCAD2A

There are runways longer than that.

Must be a bastard for building time :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

0toShifty posted:

What's worse than wake turbulence is when you're behind an AN-2 while it's doing its flying backwards in a headwind thing.

Is it still turbulence when you rear-end an AN-2?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

Is it still turbulence when you rear-end an AN-2?

"We encountered structural turbulence."
or
solid-phase turbulence

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

these are wonderful, thanks

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Olly gonna gently caress that spark plug.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Phanatic posted:

Oh drat son
:stoke:

Every day I hear about vibration and seal issues on their steam turbans.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The guy who runs my flight school used to own an AN-2. He still maintains it's his favorite airplane he ever owned, even amongst the litany of fairchilds, wacos, yaks, and PZLs he has or has owned.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Everything I've ever heard about AN-2s is good, with the single exception of the fuel burn. It's a huge, thirsty bitch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Transport Canada approves Bombardier CSeries for commercial service
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/transport-canada-certifies-bombardier-cseries-commercial-jet-for-service-1.2705518

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The article specifically mentioned that they hope to sell in numbers to China - but isn't how Bombardier got access to the Chinese market by saying "here, this is what we do, copy us?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Everything I've ever heard about AN-2s is good, with the single exception of the fuel burn. It's a huge, thirsty bitch.

Apparently the ASh-62 powers some DHC-3s, PT6A conversion kits exist for the DHC-3....

I don't think the transitive property works for aircraft engines though.

edit: specific fuel consumption of .77 lbs/shp*h vs a PT6B-36A's .581 lbs/shp*h :lol:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 18, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

There are actually turboprop conversions for the AN-2, or at least there've been a few attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Speaking of the AN2. There was 2 making daily supply runs to the airport in Canaima Venezuela (near Angel Falls).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6mstG5OqcE