Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBS
Sep 21, 2015

BeRandom posted:

Wow, I'm dumb. Didn't even notice those on the product page. It's the same price as the custom because they still charge $5 extra for Browns.

I don't really know much about different cap materials. What is the advantage of the PBT keycaps over the ones on the Custom board? (strength, durability, weight, feel?)

PBT will shine less quickly if that's something that bothers you.

There are a lot of discussions on it if you really want a detailed view on each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ColHannibal posted:

Your not really telling us what you want besides mx-blue so I can only throw things against the wall.

I wasn't actually the guy who asked, I was just commenting.

Anyway, media key combos are not a feature because you can have the same thing but better on any keyboard through software.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

BeRandom posted:

Wow, I'm dumb. Didn't even notice those on the product page. It's the same price as the custom because they still charge $5 extra for Browns.

I don't really know much about different cap materials. What is the advantage of the PBT keycaps over the ones on the Custom board? (strength, durability, weight, feel?)

PBT is more durable but you sorta already demonstrated a high tolerance for shine with your current board. They also can feel better but that's highly subjective (personally I like them better by just a little bit).

Honestly I think at this point your best bet is probably a WASD but it really comes down to what you want the keys to look like. You could get whatever on the basic WASD or you could get a bare bone version and buy keys elsewhere. For instance you could probably get vortex double shot pbt keys on Amazon, if you like blue on white. It's really a whole thing; material, colors, symbols, profile, etc. If you like the look the look of the pbt keys on WASD that would be the easiest route I think.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Brightman posted:

PBT is more durable but you sorta already demonstrated a high tolerance for shine with your current board. They also can feel better but that's highly subjective (personally I like them better by just a little bit).

Honestly I think at this point your best bet is probably a WASD but it really comes down to what you want the keys to look like. You could get whatever on the basic WASD or you could get a bare bone version and buy keys elsewhere. For instance you could probably get vortex double shot pbt keys on Amazon, if you like blue on white. It's really a whole thing; material, colors, symbols, profile, etc. If you like the look the look of the pbt keys on WASD that would be the easiest route I think.

I would shy away from vortex as their quality is not the best.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I was able to demo the blackwidow yesterday to see how the razer branded switches worked. I used the green and it was pretty similar to the cherry blues, just not quite as loud and I feel like the actuation force is a little lower. Overall I think the transition from blues to greens will be pretty painless.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

I was able to demo the blackwidow yesterday to see how the razer branded switches worked. I used the green and it was pretty similar to the cherry blues, just not quite as loud and I feel like the actuation force is a little lower. Overall I think the transition from blues to greens will be pretty painless.

I've got a black widow with their new green switches and yeah, it feels fine. Very similar to blues. It's just a shame the quality of the plastic is obviously lower than cherry switches.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Richard M Nixon posted:

I ended up ordering the razer blackwidow chroma. Amazon has them on backorder so I'll swing by best buy and test their proprietary switches to see how they feel. The wasd wasn't an option because they're not rgb backlit. I know it's a gimmick but I really like the color choices.

dw i will probably be here in a few months to recommend you another board when that one breaks

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

dw i will probably be here in a few months to recommend you another board when that one breaks

Just keep in mind that if a switch breaks, you don't need to toss it right away. If you know anything about soldering it's an easy fix. The switches are PCB-mounted and the case opens right up. It's the same as any other PCB-mounted mechanical.

I received a BW with a broken switch a few months ago and I just swapped the key with Scroll Lock and it was good as new. Finding individual switches for purchase may be a problem, though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

wa27 posted:

Just keep in mind that if a switch breaks, you don't need to toss it right away. If you know anything about soldering it's an easy fix. The switches are PCB-mounted and the case opens right up. It's the same as any other PCB-mounted mechanical.

I received a BW with a broken switch a few months ago and I just swapped the key with Scroll Lock and it was good as new. Finding individual switches for purchase may be a problem, though.

how good is razer's warranty support? if it wasn't an asus league rigmarole i'd probably just get it replaced or RMA'd rather than void my warranty swapping the switch.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Generic Monk posted:

I've never had a razer keyboard before so it'll be a new experience to see how it fares over time. I've had a mouse that's lasted quite a few years without issue so I'm hoping to see the same quality, but a keyboard has a lot more parts.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

how good is razer's warranty support? if it wasn't an asus league rigmarole i'd probably just get it replaced or RMA'd rather than void my warranty swapping the switch.

That didn't occur to me, but that's probably a better idea. Mine was a weird situation and I didn't have a warranty.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ColHannibal posted:

I would shy away from vortex as their quality is not the best.

Was just a "for instance", you can get the blue on whites for like 36 with amazon prime which for that price isn't bad but you'd have to like that color scheme and it ain't for everyone. Also you might get like two F9s and no F8 or a key in the wrong profile, so yeah, their QC ain't great.

Didn't know the WASD keys were better quality though, thought people were saying they were on the thin side. I guess the way to go for PBT outside of a group buy is Ducky then? Or Tai-Hao but then you have to wash off that antimicrobial stuff.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've never had a razer keyboard before so it'll be a new experience to see how it fares over time. I've had a mouse that's lasted quite a few years without issue so I'm hoping to see the same quality, but a keyboard has a lot more parts.

From what I hear, it's more that their quality has dropped a lot lately compared to their older stuff.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
The Razer keycap font is also dire as hell.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
For anybody curious about how PBT keys stack up after a couple years of use, here's a shot of my J key on my two year old Ergodox, which has gotten plenty of daily use. The pebbling that PBT is known for is still clearly visible.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

From what I hear, it's more that their quality has dropped a lot lately compared to their older stuff.

Lol, my razer mice in the early 2000s would last about 3-6 months before a microswitch failed. I think I went through about 4 or 5 (including replacements) before I said gently caress it and went logitech g5. The g5 then lasted about 5 years before I got bored and got a g500, which lasted about 2 or 3 years before I got bored again and got an SS Rival, which is now about a year old.

Do razer products literally not work out of the box now?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Slowhanded posted:

For anybody curious about how PBT keys stack up after a couple years of use, here's a shot of my J key on my two year old Ergodox, which has gotten plenty of daily use. The pebbling that PBT is known for is still clearly visible.

In English at least, J is one of the least-frequently used letters, so that's not exactly a good example key. Unless you're a heavy vi user, I guess.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 17, 2015

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a problem

help

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You mean that you don't have color-coordinated wrist rests for them? That is a problem.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Friend posted:

You mean that you don't have color-coordinated wrist rests for them? That is a problem.

The problem seems to be the poor keycap choice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yep, big problem. That wrist pad is way too big.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

HalloKitty posted:

In English at least, J is one of the least-frequently used letters, so that's not exactly a good example key. Unless you're a heavy vi user, I guess.

I am indeed a vim user.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

I have a problem

help

POK3R and a CODE/WASD? How do you like the POK3R in comparison? I own a CODE w/ Clears and am seriously considering getting a POK3R once I find work as either my work or home board.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mad.radhu posted:

I have a problem

help

Same.

I've got a carbon set sitting at the office right now too.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thirst Mutilator posted:

POK3R and a CODE/WASD? How do you like the POK3R in comparison? I own a CODE w/ Clears and am seriously considering getting a POK3R once I find work as either my work or home board.

Pok3r with clears is what I use at work, it's nice and also I like it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard but unsure about what switch type to go for. My only experience with mechanical keys was this old rear end typewriter at my office (loved the clickiness and what prompted me to look for a mech keyboard), and a Razer Chroma I played around with at a Best Buy. Some research said that Cherry MX Blues or Browns are what I'm after, but others says Blue/Browns are crap for gaming and I should use Reds.

They're aren't any physical stores nearby that stock more than 1 mechanical keyboard so I can't just try them all and see. Any suggestions?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Get clears. Or read the last 10 or 20 pages of the thread and you will know everything you need to know.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clear or browns, ya.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Blue is the only way to go.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
You will not notice any meaningful difference with reds for gaming; 99.99% of that is marketing hype. Sure, there is the actuation height difference, but in practice it is a non-issue. FWIW, my friend group is all GE on CSGO and we use everything from browns, blues, clears, and even rubber membrane switches.

Don't worry too much about between Cherry MX type; it is most certainly not an issues of enough gravity for you to dwell on for any length of time.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Matias Click switches have the most click, both audible and tactile, out of any currently manufactured switch. They're not quite as common as Cherry switches, but you can still find keyboards with them fairly easily.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Are there any custom keycaps that are of high quality that would fit onto a backlit CODE and not look like utter crap and still have the backlit function?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Are there any custom keycaps that are of high quality that would fit onto a backlit CODE and not look like utter crap and still have the backlit function?

What do you want the keycap to look like? Generally MX keycaps for backlit keyboards are made in far smaller production runs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard but unsure about what switch type to go for. My only experience with mechanical keys was this old rear end typewriter at my office (loved the clickiness and what prompted me to look for a mech keyboard), and a Razer Chroma I played around with at a Best Buy. Some research said that Cherry MX Blues or Browns are what I'm after, but others says Blue/Browns are crap for gaming and I should use Reds.

They're aren't any physical stores nearby that stock more than 1 mechanical keyboard so I can't just try them all and see. Any suggestions?

If you're willing to invest :10bux: or so into making the right choice, you can pick up a little keyswitch sampler that will give you one key of each. It's not the same as actually typing on a full board, but it'll still give you a pretty good idea of what your fingers like.

A few samplers from a quick google:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit/wasd-6-key-cherry-mx-switch-tester.html
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-tester-kit.html
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-pro-sampler-tester-kit.html

However, that old-rear end typewriter that you like so much probably had a buckling spring under each key. To get that exact feel, you'll want a Unicomp, the modern incarnation of the old IBM Model M. (I like Cherry MXes just fine but I still insist that the Model M is the One True Keyboard.)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Quick interest check...

I'm getting a new soldering soon, after my Weller broke last year. I also have the tools to modify cases as needed, and I can program a Teensy/ATMega/whatever. If I were to assemble custom keyboards and sell them on SA-Mart, how many people would be interested in ordering? The price would be between $150-200 for a board; a bit lower without the tenkey. I'd be able to make custom layout changes, LED backlighting, different case colors, different switches.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Quick interest check...

I'm getting a new soldering soon, after my Weller broke last year. I also have the tools to modify cases as needed, and I can program a Teensy/ATMega/whatever. If I were to assemble custom keyboards and sell them on SA-Mart, how many people would be interested in ordering? The price would be between $150-200 for a board; a bit lower without the tenkey. I'd be able to make custom layout changes, LED backlighting, different case colors, different switches.

I wouldn't commit on that price until you do a full cost analysis, the material on custom boards usually is about 120-150 and I doubt you will get the work done in one hour so your labor cost drops dramatically.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

ColHannibal posted:

I wouldn't commit on that price until you do a full cost analysis, the material on custom boards usually is about 120-150 and I doubt you will get the work done in one hour so your labor cost drops dramatically.

I'd be doing the first ones for very little profit, just to get my name out there (and to see the boards on goons' desks :3:). Later on, when I have a bit of a portfolio to advertise with on GeekHack, Deskthority, and Reddit, I'll charge more. But initially, I'd be doing it for almost free. Depending on BoM, it might end up a little higher, but I'd like to stay under $200.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

I have a problem

help

I'm still kicking myself for skipping the Carbon on Massdrop. Supposedly some spare sets are going to end up on PMK soon so hopefully I can grab one.

For Pok3r fans it looks like the RGB version will be hitting the market soon.
https://m.facebook.com/Vortexgear/photos/pcb.964738210260556/964736443594066/?type=3&theater

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 18, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Sacred Cow posted:

I'm still kicking myself for skipping the Carbon on Massdrop. Supposedly some spare sets are going to end up on PMK soon so hopefully I can grab one.

For Pok3r fans it looks like the RGB version will be hitting the market soon.
https://m.facebook.com/Vortexgear/photos/pcb.964738210260556/964736443594066/?type=3&theater

"soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Quick interest check...

I would probably buy one.

• Locked thread