Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

And it's a six cylinder. Amazed is right.

God I hate that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Actual Gold: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1990-mazda-eunos-cosmo/1117907830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I'm always amazed just how many of that generation f150 look like someone poo poo in a blender after not much more than 100k miles.
I loving hate that truck.
The generations preceding it and following it were fine, but gently caress that truck in particular.

Also, how much meth did it take to build that abomination?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm always amazed just how many of that generation f150 look like someone poo poo in a blender after not much more than 100k miles.
I loving hate that truck.
The generations preceding it and following it were fine, but gently caress that truck in particular.

Also, how much meth did it take to build that abomination?

As if the looks weren't bad enough, look up the crash ratings if you really want to cringe.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

As if the looks weren't bad enough, look up the crash ratings if you really want to cringe.

Set passengers to LIQUIFY

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Octopus Magic posted:

Set passengers to LIQUIFY
Those were passengers? Oh. I thought he just bought a bunch of ground beef for a cookout.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My sister has one of those F150s and the transmission is taking a huge poo poo after 220,000 miles. Her reaction when I was relieved that she might finally get a better vehicle was priceless. Though, even after I showed her how unsafe it is, she still clings to "big truck safe because big".

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I don't know in which direction to run

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/5360615997.html

One more for good measure.

Datsun 1977 b21

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5358977677.html

crutt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 18, 2015

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

gonna need a bigass table cloth here bois

Content:
loving lol 20 grand for this, and he'd rather let it sit for a decade than take less.

http://staugustine.craigslist.org/bar/5364266694.html

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 18, 2015

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

If he keeps it in storage for another 10 years, it'll be worth at least 40k!

You can get a complete, running example for less:

http://www.lancemotors.net/inventorymanager.php?action=view&Id=727090

(And it's still overpriced)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elmnt80 posted:

Lemme rephrase. Its not walk into a parts store, ask for part, get part easy for a few things. We've been helping a customer restore one to sell and the trim pieces specific to that vehicle or made of rubber is proving interesting to find. But I also have no access to the internet/google at work, so this is just referring to whats in the computer/books. Enthusiast forums probably have a wealth of knowledge and people selling used parts for them that I don't have access to.

Yep. Anything bodywork, sheetmetal, tail/headlight, interior, etc wise is long gone from stock. Drivetrain and suspension parts will probably be available still in 50 years.

There are a few companies doing repro sheetmetal for the more problematic area, but OEM bumpers, tailgates, tail lights, and some interior parts are already selling for a mint and have been for ten years. One of my buddies runs the Crown Auto outlet store in Canton MA and he's made a standing offer to me of whatever I pay at the yard plus a reasonable finders fee for any/all of those parts I can get off any J truck in any junkyard I visit for exactly this reason - he doesn't make much money selling em, but he really hates seeing unicorn parts turned into cubes of twisted crushed scrapmetal.

Same thing applies to MJs, except everyone who likes MJs is broke. I've seen a set of good condition MJ tail lamp housings sell for 300 bucks on ebay before.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
About ten years ago there was a 199* 240SX for sale to me locally that was absolutely gorgeous. The white paint looked mint, the interior was perfect, the seller only wanted like $500 for it because it had a few 'issues'

Issues like "everything under the car was rust held together by rust" and when I asked if it started and ran at least, he said "Of course, every time, let me show you!" and a fuel line blew out and started spraying gas straight sideways out from under the car. I did not wind up taking on this vehicle.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Probably could have parted out the interior for 500, plus whatever the katana shifter is worth.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
E: good point mariooncrack, I'm dumb.

One day I'll have something in the driveway with a bow on it for her.

blk fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 19, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just because you like driving stick doesn't mean she has to. If you want the car for yourself, buy it, but don't buy it for your wife. I don't think it'll end well. It sounds like you're projecting what you want onto her.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EvellSnoats posted:

Tough, I have a 70. Paid $400 for it. I wish I had bought this one instead just for the seats. If anyone can scout this one for me, $1600 is a bargain just for the parts. I would be good to offer a grand and have it trailerd here for another $500.

So at long last I got to take a look at this.

It's all yours if you want it, EvellSnoats.

The body and paint are pretty hosed. There's a big hole at the bottom of the left rear door. The paint is probably original but it's turbo-hosed. A lot of the trim is missing.

However, the interior is very nice; the seats look unfaded and there are no rips. There's a crack or two in the dash but otherwise it looks good.

The engine actually looks nicer in person than in the original ad's pictures. It starts ok (I don't think the guy has those dual carbs synced) and drives fine, with a surprisingly good pull. The transmission felt good up through 3rd too, I didn't go any higher.

here's the album:

http://imgur.com/a/aFWiM

Highlights:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Pham Nuwen posted:

turbo-hosed

This has become a go-to phrase at work, and I love hearing it on the radio.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mmmmmmmanual:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5363464466.html

Wish it was an I6 instead of a V6, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Florida Man, in car form.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mmmmmmmanual:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5363464466.html

Wish it was an I6 instead of a V6, though.

That's a good deal if the interior isn't trashed, El Caminos are worth a fortune these days. I got seven grand from the insurance company when my '81 was stolen a few years ago.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Rare and boxy is sexy.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5344405932.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Celica...

What do you guys think? This would be a lemons car.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

That's a pretty loving nice car. I can't remember if that part of town is really bad, bad, or just kinda bad. I used to live down along Chili Ave, a mile or so southwest of Nick Tahou's, and that was a pretty poo poo part of town. "Probably fireworks" was a pretty common phrase in the house.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

StormDrain posted:

Celica...

My husband's was a good little car, except the front gravel guard under scuttle thing was prone to falling off and the AC failed early and often. I dont know car technical stuff but I think that model of Celica has a nice soul and good character. How would you deal with the gears?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Paging kastein to the twin cities area, kastein to the twin cities.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

My husband's was a good little car, except the front gravel guard under scuttle thing was prone to falling off and the AC failed early and often. I dont know car technical stuff but I think that model of Celica has a nice soul and good character. How would you deal with the gears?

The symptoms scream broken shift cable to me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

That's more the sort of vehicle that would satisfy chrisgt's kink than mine. I don't like boxers, I prefer I6s and fractions/multiples thereof.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That's more the sort of vehicle that would satisfy chrisgt's kink than mine. I don't like boxers, I prefer I6s and fractions/multiples thereof.
Fair 'nuf!

Just noticed the Optima battery and MSD box. What the crap has happened to this little guy?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Celica...

I'm almost certainly buying this car within the hour.

edit: purchased.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 23, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

My grandmother had one of these in white.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

My grandmother had one of these in white.

my aunt had one in the same color.

It was underwhelming to say the least.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Octopus Magic posted:

my aunt had one in the same color.

It was underwhelming to say the least.

Yeah, I don't understand the interest in that era of Celica. It was so bland. The only motor (at least in Australia) that made it ok was the 22RE. The carbie 2S was a slight improvement over the original 21R-C that Toyota had in it.

quote:

Celica Wikipedia page:

In Australia, Toyota decided initially to use the 21R-C in the Celica. As a result, the car only turned out a mere 67 kW (90 hp). However, for the facelift model it was replaced by the far quicker 73 kW (98 hp) 2S-C motor and then by the injected 2.4-liter motor (22R-E) which provided 87 kW (118 PS; 117 hp). The facelift versions also came with independent rear suspension, rather than the traditional live axle differential.
Now that I didn't know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Yeah, I don't understand the interest in that era of Celica. It was so bland. The only motor (at least in Australia) that made it ok was the 22RE. The carbie 2S was a slight improvement over the original 21R-C that Toyota had in it.

There supposedly easy enough to swap in a better motor. I've wanted one for a while now and missed the chance at one due to a douchebag seller who jacked the price when we showed up to buy it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Interest in a car is often simply 'it looks cool' which that era of Celica definitely does these days. Never liked the coupe version though personally, it looked very American in comparison to:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

The ad is wrong, it's a manual. I suppose buying a repo car may be a bad idea? I'm considering selling my AW11 for this, seeing as it's impossible to find a sub-2.5k NB around here.

edit: nevermind it's 500 miles away, I hate when Craigslist posts aren't actually in the city :argh::arghfist:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 23, 2015

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Drift culture.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5356121785.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Actual gold instead of meth: BaT post

Super-clean thirdgen with a L98 and a T-56. It is appealing to my inner mullet in a big way.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

i remember when you could get 240sxs for 1500 dollars running and all body panels. :patriot:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Someone posted a stock S13 coupe on roadraceautox and I really want it but the CAD makes it like an 8k proposition :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Octopus Magic posted:

i remember when you could get 240sxs for 1500 dollars running and all body panels. :patriot:

Are you really that old?

Edit: Gold?

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/5368395566.html

quote:

93 mazda 323 hatch back.
145k miles
5speed
30+ mpg
Runs an drives great
Interior is in good shape other than the front seats have tears.
Bodys in decent shape for its age.
Has a leaky valve cover an a strut making some noise
But other than that it's a great little car. It's daily driven as it sets now.
No trades
750 obo price is negotiable.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 24, 2015