Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Can't wait till Lucasfilm releases the mod tools.

George "Shitler" Lucas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

minato posted:

I really enjoyed the movie, but on reflection there were so many little script and direction flaws that could have been easily fixed.

MAZ'S BAR
- The cavalry arrives at the last minute... but how did they know where to go, and in force?

There's lots of dumb plot stuff in the film, but this one, the singer robot thing in the band alerted them at the same time someone else alerted the bad guys.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

lenoon posted:

I feel like most of those "incongruous" issues with the film are from someone who doesn't really get "show don't tell".
Certainly not an impeccable movie but a lot of those points are a bit.... Well, unobservant really.

Those are all really good points, I guess I missed a lot of that. I'm also guessing they left some more expositional stuff on the cutting room floor to cut down on time - it's already a long film.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Electromax posted:

To be fair, Yoda and Dooku try dropping force rocks on each other and electro-zapping each other before the swords come out.

Plus all of this arguably also applies to Vader/ObiWan in 4.

Dooku even suggests they duel with light sabers to settle it, so it's not like they just start light sabering out of no where.

DOOKU: It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force but by our skills with a lightsaber.

edit: that being said, I remember who Yoda and Sheev's light saber duel begins, maybe they just start light sabering.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

edit: that being said, I remember who Yoda and Sheev's light saber duel begins, maybe they just start light sabering.

Force lightning, then Yoda tosses Palpatine on his rear end and Palpatine tries to run. Then the sabering.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

therobotking posted:

As a brit i find the american cinema experience very strange (Assuming youre in america of course, I hear it alot from them). Nobody claps or cheers in the cinema here. If you do anything but laugh you'll get very disapproving looks and maybe even a tut. You wouldn't applaud a nice painting or a song on the radio right? Whats the appeal in clapping at a movie screen?

:goonsay:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And there's Empire down. I still can't decide if ANH or ESB is my favorite of the OT. Both are so good. Once again, loads of audience reactions from this one. Especially at the Luke/Leia kiss.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The crushing fear that Brits have of the mere possibility of social awkwardness must be exhausting.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Saw this last night and the only thing I disliked was Snoke.
He just seemed so loving dumb and cartoony, also he rubs off on Kylo Ren I like Kylo being a angry immature idiot but that only really works if his master seems strong willed and threatening.
However Domhnall Gleeson was alot of fun.

Also as a Brit I find clapping at a screen stupid as gently caress, clapping at actors in a theatre yeah but clapping at screen is stupid.
I've only seen it happen once and that was after the Dark Knight Rises.

But that doesn't mean we don't laugh and show expression when watching a movie, it's possible to do all that without being a total fucknut.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 17, 2015

halwain
May 31, 2011
Jesus what is it with people posting spoilers and fake spoilers everywhere. You cant even go into threads in the games forum without the risk of them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

halwain posted:

Jesus what is it with people posting spoilers and fake spoilers everywhere. You cant even go into threads in the games forum without the risk of them.

I was actually just coming in here to say thanks everyone for being so good about this, this thread is really good.

Thanks, everyone.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

halwain posted:

Yeah some fucktards are mass inviting people to steam groups named after SW spoilers. They are getting creative.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long until some MRA posts a screed about that whole hand grabbing bit

Anyway movie was baller

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Saw this last night and the only thing I disliked was Snoke.

I didn't care for him either to be honest. Also I feel dumb for thinking he was a giant, before the hologram turned off.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GonSmithe posted:

I was actually just coming in here to say thanks everyone for being so good about this, this thread is really good.

Thanks, everyone.

Unless SMG posts something.

Not that it's his fault. I doubt he bought himself that avatar. But anyone who wants to stay spoiler free should turn avatars off for now.

I don't care, I go to the spoiler thread. But a warning to others, I guess.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As I cannot watch the stupid new film, I watched The New Hopes.

It's a really good film I liked it there's a lot of shooting it's really loud.

The line about Owen not wanting Anakin to not get involved with the Clone Wars and Beru saying that Luke is like his father make no sense in retrospect. 0/10

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I want to thank this thread because last night I watched Episode 1 and in the first Naboo scene I found myself thinking, "oh yea, that's Sio Bibble". A new low point in my life I'd say.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Clapping at a film is probably attributable to the effects of social media, and the 'like' stuff on facebook or whatever. Where, in a live performance, you're at least theoretically clapping for the performers, clapping at a theater is unambiguously directed at the other moviegoers in a way that allows you to 'upvote' the film. This serves basically the same function as with Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com - which is, of course, named for the practice of jeering at live performers, but actually just serves to aggregate and amplify audience reactions and then deliver them back to that same audience.

You could achieve the same results by ending each screening with the announcement of a percentage. Not even necessarily a percentage derived from any particular data.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sure hope anyone who cares saw my post and turned off avatars.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Clapping at a film is probably attributable to the effects of social media, and the 'like' stuff on facebook or whatever. Where, in a live performance, you're at least theoretically clapping for the performers, clapping at a theater is unambiguously directed at the other moviegoers in a way that allows you to 'upvote' the film. This serves basically the same function as with Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com - which is, of course, named for the practice of jeering at live performers, but actually just serves to aggregate and amplify audience reactions and then deliver them back to that same audience.

You could achieve the same results by ending each screening with the announcement of a percentage. Not even necessarily a percentage derived from any particular data.

I miss Taytay.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn't care for him either to be honest. Also I feel dumb for thinking he was a giant, before the hologram turned off.

Hahaha I felt exactly the same way. I'm used to them being blue and grainy like Sidious and his holograms so I thought "holy gently caress how are they going to take this guy down?" then felt completely retarded when he vanished.

Also I'll say its way too early to judge Snoke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

Seriously, thank you man.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Clapping at a film is probably attributable to the effects of social media, and the 'like' stuff on facebook or whatever.

People clapping at films predates social media by decades though?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
One of my secret talents is being able to clap very loudly. I do this whenever other people clap just because it gives me the opportunity to use my gift in public without drawing too much attention.

thrawn527 posted:

I do and I did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

People clapping at films predates social media by decades though?

Yea really has nothing to do with social media at all, people just like to clap at things. Always have.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can kind of understand clapping over the credits, but if you clap or cheer during the actual film you need to get the gently caress out of the room and think about what you've done.

I've paid loving money to sit here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I can kind of understand clapping over the credits, but if you clap or cheer during the actual film you need to get the gently caress out of the room and think about what you've done.

So have they.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

So have they.

And I'm respectfully not screaming at the top of my voice every time I'm excited, scared, amused, happy or sad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yoda's sort of based on the kung fu movie archetype of the wisened old master who is so good he doesn't even need to do all the fancy poo poo he teaches the pupil to do. If you can move spaceships with your mind and see the future you've kind of moved past having to beat dudes with a laser stick. Same goes for Palpatine - he's so menacing because he doesn't carry a lightsaber, and when we learn why in RotJ, it's a major holy poo poo moment. When both of them finally get some action and it turns out they just fight like Sonic the Hedgehog, it kind of throws that out the window.

But that kung fu archetype also wold also show that the wise old master could move like lightning if the need arose.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve2911 posted:

And I'm respectfully not screaming at the top of my voice every time I'm excited, scared, amused, happy or sad.

Please be excited.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Sorry but if you don't like the lightsaber fights in the prequels you simply hate fun. There is a lot of poo poo you can hate in those films, especially Hayden Christensen, but those fights are just fun and the "higher" art form of fighting reflects the fact that the Jedi are at their peak.

Vader in the OT fights with short, powerful movements because he is no longer agile because he is mostly cybernetic.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Wouldn't the proper Lacanian explanation refer to the Other?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Sorry but if you don't like the lightsaber fights in the prequels you simply hate fun. There is a lot of poo poo you can hate in those films, especially Hayden Christensen, but those fights are just fun and the "higher" art form of fighting reflects the fact that the Jedi are at their peak.

Vader in the OT fights with short, powerful movements because he is no longer agile because he is mostly cybernetic.

Sorry nerd, I love fun but the lovely bounce everywhere lightsaber fights are loving terrible.

And don't try to justify it with bullshit. The fight with Darth Maul isn't a cgi mess and it's the only non-awful fight in the prequels.
Look the prequels are bad but your allowed to like them, just keep it to yourself.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Clapping at a film is probably attributable to the effects of social media, and the 'like' stuff on facebook or whatever.

mods, please delete cinema discusso

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

GaussianCopula posted:

I wouldn't contest the choreography, but it just have anything behind it. It feels artificial. Like who cares?

In Ep 5, Luke is confronting the guy who killed his friend and mentor, he's a bad guy who's really good at being bad, and we have a really inexperienced dude who can use the force who defied his current master to save his friends.

This is only a spoiler-lite, doesn't actually contain plot spoilers but pureists may want to not mouse over.
I liked the saber scenes in Ep 7, firstly because while the fights were extremely well choreographed, it was done in a way which felt more natural, raw, and real. The fight didn't feel forced, didn't go longer than it needed to, and was a good way to conclude a pretty emotionally charged part of the movie

Like why did Qui-Gon have to die? Obi-Wan didn't really fly off the rails all that much, I would've expected flying off the rails to be closer to what Luke did to Vader (which mirrored how Vader attacked at the end of Ep 5). In Ep 2, Anakin had to lose his hand somehow but I can't help but think that they got that far into the fight scene and was like "poo poo he needs to lose a hand" or something.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Even after Pinkett's review pointing how emotionless the prequel fights are, I still find Maul's fight really badass, the amazing score certainly helped.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polo-Rican posted:

mods, please delete cinema discusso

No don't I like it here :(

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Danger posted:

Wouldn't the proper Lacanian explanation refer to the Other?

For sure; what we're dealing with here is a 'subject supposed to enjoy' - we get vicarious enjoyment from watching the Other (in this case, 'the audience') enjoy. This is the same role filled by the Rotten Tomatoes critics, the counters beneath youtube videos that display the ratio of thumbs-ups and thumbs-downs, and "I liked it" posts in Cinema Discusso.

Counterintuitively, people do not press the 'like' button in order to register their enjoyment, but press the 'like' button in order to begin enjoying.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Well everything seems annoying if you imagine the options as either total silence or constant shrieking. The laughs + brief claps after the Hulk picked up Loki and swings him around in Avengers made that moment more memorable to me - It didn't mean there was a 30-second standing ovation or something. Similarly, I think I ended up enjoying the experience of watching the newest TMNT because there were a lot of kids in the theater who bought into it and cheered and laughed at the right parts, even though it wasn't a great movie. If you need to guarantee absolute silence for an entire film, you probably have to stay at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Darko posted:

Vader and Obi Wan were knights and not wizards as far as the fantasy imagery goes. Yes I know Vader is referenced as having wizarding ways, but that's the imagery that everything is drawn from.

The prequels got rid of this kind of hierarchy, and made everyone weapon users and knight type characters shoot lightning, for better or worse.

Well, during the ESB story conference, Lucas suggested that Vader and Ben actually were having a wizarding battle during their sword-fight; you just couldn't see it:

George Lucas posted:

“Earlier, Luke talks to Ben; when he brings him up as a ghost, we portend what is going to happen. Ben says, ‘Vader has more power than you can imagine. When he and I met, we fought on such a level that there didn’t appear to be much of a battle; it appeared to be a swordfight, but it was a battle of our wills that was really going on in the beyond.’ I’d like to make it into a battle (which we did in the Alan Dean Foster book, which is what I wanted to do in the first one with Ben and Vader) with lightning or electrical bolts, and throwing things around the room; an Exorcist kind of battle where you can bring all kinds of supernatural powers to bear. We’ll have Ben say, ‘Vader couldn’t use his supernatural powers against me, because I was too strong; he had to rely on brute force, which wasn’t of any value, because I was too advanced for that, so everything he did to me was useless.’

This didn't end up ever getting explained in the film, but it makes a certain amount of sense. The reason you don't see Jedi and Sith constantly Force-pushing and -choking each other is because they're constantly using the Force to defend against such attacks during battles.

It's basically the same concept as the Doou/Yoda duel, only the battle on the spiritual plane was actually depicted visually, so that it would be clear why Jedi and Sith often just resort to having lightsaber battles. It's more interesting that way, anyway. I think people are overestimating how visually interesting a pure Force battle would actually be.

• Locked thread