Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Ok, can someone explain level scaling in skirmishes? I'm level 20, if I want to do Trouble in Tuckborough with a partner, do they have to be around my level to make it work? Or does it magically scale us so no one is losing out on xp or having content trivialized?

And on the same note, regular instances like the Great Barrow, are those scaled at all? Am I correct that the only effective way to get a group together for that is to advertise in /world?

Finally, I can use the instance finder panel is port into any BB, skirmish, or classic instance from anywhere in the world, right? No need to meet up at the actual zone entrances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There are three types of instances: scaling, non-scaling, and epic/big battles.

Scaling instances are adjustable from levels 20-100. You set the level when you initiate the instance from the instance finder panel. For example: if you set it to 30, all of the enemies faced will be level 30, regardless of the level of the players taking part. Most (all?) skirmishes are scaling. Select world instances are scaled as well. I believe the Great Barrow is a scaling instance.

Non-scaling instances are a set level. The content and challenge will always remain at that level. Many instances in Angmar and Moria are set level and do not scale up or down in challenge.

Epic/big battles (whatever you want to call them) are located in your epic battle panel. These instances scale any players that enter them up to level 100, which raises their stats and improves their gear accordingly. You aren't as strong as an actual level 100, but it does let you join in the content without needing to spend an eternity grinding up to max level.

And any instance you meet the requirement for can be joined from anywhere in the world.

Edit: And yeah, if you're doing any instance then advertise in kin/world to find appropriately leveled players. The instance finder grouping functions aren't really used by anybody from what I can tell.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 17, 2015

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

How confusing. So a skirmish adjusts the level of the challenge to meet the player, but an epic battle adjusts the player to meet the challenge, and also some random instances do neither. I think I get it, however.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If you look in the instance finder and check the third tab (titled something like Specific Instance or something) you'll see a list of instances with them separated by type. Instances you don't meet the reqs for are grayed out, and if you click on each one you can see what options can be configured at the top of the panel. And if you can adjust the level it's a scaling instance, if not then it's non-scaling.

I believe only epic/big battles bump you up to 100. Those are the Helm's Deep/Pelargir/Minas Tirith instances.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
For new players joining us, once you get in the guild give a shout if you don't have some good gear. Crafting equipment isn't too bad, especially light/medium stuff since you likely have the leather/flax already if a crafter doesn't. Not everyone can make everything (I still haven't worked up a jeweler or historian(?)). but someone might be able to get you setup to make lower levels go more smoothly.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The Yule Festival has begun!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I think you start running into needing new content around level 30.

It's a little after 20 now, since Lone-Lands isn't free any more (was it ever? I could have sworn it was free for the longest time) so you'll have to either buy that (recommended) or North Downs after Bree.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Lum_ posted:

It's a little after 20 now, since Lone-Lands isn't free any more (was it ever? I could have sworn it was free for the longest time) so you'll have to either buy that (recommended) or North Downs after Bree.

I am nearly positive that Lone Lands are still free. I think Evendim is a good purchase for 30-40 and you can possibly get it super cheap by getting the Steely Dawn package (it was on sale for $5 on Steam a few weeks ago, and you can buy it for as cheap as $1 on key reseller sites like G2A, depending on how much you trust those sites). If I remember right, the Steely Dawn also came with 500 TP, some boosts, and some cosmetic stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't transfer my guys lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lum_ posted:

Lone Lands originally wasn't free, then it was made free. Its been free for several years so if it's no longer free that's kinda sudden and weird.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
A new player was in kinchat asking why they couldn't pick up any quests at the Forsaken Inn, so... Lotro-Wiki has it for sale but could be out of date (though it has the Gondor packs) https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Quest_Packs

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Lum_ posted:

A new player was in kinchat asking why they couldn't pick up any quests at the Forsaken Inn, so... Lotro-Wiki has it for sale but could be out of date (though it has the Gondor packs) https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Quest_Packs
There are some quests in the Forsaken Inn that require their own pack because they're for the Forsaken Inn instance. Are you sure he wasn't trying to get those?

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

ArchWizard posted:

There are some quests in the Forsaken Inn that require their own pack because they're for the Forsaken Inn instance. Are you sure he wasn't trying to get those?

Yeah, Inn of the Forsaken is a standalone instance that has to be bought separately, but the rest of the Lone-Lands is free. There should be a bunch of other quests available in the inn other than the one for that instance, though.

Darth Nemesis fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 17, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Don't buy that instance though because while it's alright it's not really worth the TP unless they made it a lot cheaper recently.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am nearly positive that Lone Lands are still free. I think Evendim is a good purchase for 30-40 and you can possibly get it super cheap by getting the Steely Dawn package (it was on sale for $5 on Steam a few weeks ago, and you can buy it for as cheap as $1 on key reseller sites like G2A, depending on how much you trust those sites). If I remember right, the Steely Dawn also came with 500 TP, some boosts, and some cosmetic stuff.

I just wanted to say Thank You for sharing this. I just spent a buck and got Evendim and 500 TP. Incredible deal.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I'm having a blast, only level 15 or something now, and finally got into the guild last night, but this is super fun. I'm really enjoying just questing in tolkien's world, but I wish I had rolled a hobbit.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

I can't transfer my guys lol

How do you mean?

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How do you mean?

Transfers were disabled by the hotfix.

here

moebius2778 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Is Angmar the only free area for 40-50?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I got lucky this morning and noticed there was a deluxe house available in our neighbourhood, so I sold my small and nabbed this one for Gwynecara.

It's at 3 Low Street (which is not as low as the rest of the street) and I have a put forge in the yard for people to use.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Another question while the client is downloading: by subscribing + becoming a VIP you get access to every feature of the game (minus the expansions), correct?

Edit:

Found this one the first page of this thread:

moebius2778 posted:

From what I understand, no. EU to US and vice versa transfers still aren't allowed.

So my 50 Lore-Master wouldn't be able to transfer anyway. Good to know, I'll stop looking for the account info then.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 18, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Haerc posted:

Is Angmar the only free area for 40-50?

I don't think there is a free area for 40-50. I know Angmar is not free.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Another question while the client is downloading: by subscribing + becoming a VIP you get access to every feature of the game (minus the expansions), correct?

Pretty much, yeah. Here's the list on their site: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's correct, after 8 1/2 years I still don't own Angmar. Every time I've gone through it I've had VIP.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Litany Unheard posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Here's the list on their site: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip

Thanks!

The client finally finished patching, and I played for an hour. This game is still oozing atmosphere out of its Bree-land pores, I felt right at home. But unfortunately LOTRO is sending the fans of my Macbook Pro into overdrive. It runs smooth as butter, but the CPU core heats up to 90°C after a 10, 15 minutes, and stays there until I quit the game. I was really hoping my laptop could handle this "old" game a little better.

edit: Then again, this — fans spinning like mad — is probably normal for laptop gaming. I just don't do a whole lot of it.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 20, 2015

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
LOTRO has always caused laptops to run super hot in my experience. Can anyone shed some light on this or help us fix it?

moebius2778
May 3, 2013
My understanding is that LotRO has always been fairly CPU intensive. No idea why.

A thing you can try is go to Options -> Troubleshooting, and set Engine Speed lower. Maybe down to very low. I don't know. But in theory, that should back off the CPU usage.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Huh, I have a ton of quests there, but some are locked... I never bought it AFAIK. Is there a way to quickly check what you have bought/what you own from the store?

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Thinking about playing this again, last time i played i think i only got out of the shire before some other game caught my interest.

A few questions; Are there still goons playing this game? Always prefered grouping to soloing.
Is there a EU guild or is US the way to go?
How are the classes nowadays? Balanced or are there some poo poo ones?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^ Play on the US server IMO.

So for leveling LIs what's the fastest way these days. Murder a bunch of roving threats/warbands for lots of quest turn-ins? After making my 1st age weapon I noticed that on my current LIs I can get 2 or 3 useful legacies like AOE healing and resist fear. Also came across a Champion yesterday who had 3 first age weapons/emblems each. The class items were named red/blue/yellow and his weapons looked like they were setup the same way. 4 out of 6 of them were imbued and considering the one weapon had about 10-15% more DPS than my Halberd I'm guessing they dumped a bunch of starlit crystals in to it. Apparently you can use 3 starlit crystals before imbuing, then 3 more after?

Haerc posted:

Huh, I have a ton of quests there, but some are locked... I never bought it AFAIK. Is there a way to quickly check what you have bought/what you own from the store?

Epic Quests aren't tied to ownership of a zone until you reach Helm's Deep, IIRC. You probably have those book quests and maybe a few unaffiliated ones like the class quests.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Haerc posted:

I'm not quite sure how to check what you own. The Turbine account page shows you all of the expansions, but doesn't say the quest packs.

Also, it's possible you picked up a bunch of the Angmar quests when you were a VIP (possibly even before the game went F2P).

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jaroslav posted:

A few questions; Are there still goons playing this game? Always prefered grouping to soloing.
Is there a EU guild or is US the way to go?
How are the classes nowadays? Balanced or are there some poo poo ones?

I do not know what the Goon guild was like prior to the server transfer, nor can I tell you anything about the EU guild/server, but I would say the answer to your first question is a definite yes. I typically see around 10 people on during peak hours and even during off peak hours I've never been alone. I heard talk in this thread and in kinship chat about people wanting to do raids or the like. So the Goon presence is good.

As far as balance goes, I do not see anything majorly out of whack but then my experience is extremely limited. From what I hear the Warden class is the OP class but I cannot vouch for this as I have only played a Lore Master, a Bard, and am currently playing a Guardian. None of which appear to be significantly OP than the other (in the level 1-20 range, maybe they diverge somewhere after level 20.) So I think it is fair to say that you can play whatever class you want and still have a good time.

tAnyway, The waters good, jump in!

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Haerc posted:

If you aren't currently VIP then you can look in the store under account/quest packs and anything that is missing is something you already own.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

So for leveling LIs what's the fastest way these days. Murder a bunch of roving threats/warbands for lots of quest turn-ins? After making my 1st age weapon I noticed that on my current LIs I can get 2 or 3 useful legacies like AOE healing and resist fear. Also came across a Champion yesterday who had 3 first age weapons/emblems each. The class items were named red/blue/yellow and his weapons looked like they were setup the same way. 4 out of 6 of them were imbued and considering the one weapon had about 10-15% more DPS than my Halberd I'm guessing they dumped a bunch of starlit crystals in to it. Apparently you can use 3 starlit crystals before imbuing, then 3 more after?

Pretty much everything you do will give you IXP, so don't necessarily focus on trying to level up your LIs. Doing stuff will do that. That said, the fastest is probably doing quests - you can hit up dailies, or something.

So the way the starlit work - imbued weapons currently have 14 increases to their max DPS rank. You'll get a bonus of a couple ranks based on what age of LI you started with. Each star lit you used prior to imbuing will give you another increase. After that, you can use as many star lits as you have remaining increases. So, it can be a lot of star lits post-imbue.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I really want to keep on playing, but even with everything set to the lowest possible level, the CPU gets ridiculously hot way too fast. And that tool you can use to disable Intel's turbo boost feature does not work with OS X El Capitan. Oh well, this sucks.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Tried whispering all the officers but none of them are on - if someone could toss an invite to Jaroslav that would be appreciated!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
At last, I am a Nazgun.

Can someone add Blondii to the decoration permissions for the house next time you're on? I have sooo many housing items and this place is simply begging for some decor.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Jack's Flow posted:

I really want to keep on playing, but even with everything set to the lowest possible level, the CPU gets ridiculously hot way too fast. And that tool you can use to disable Intel's turbo boost feature does not work with OS X El Capitan. Oh well, this sucks.

You can buy cooling trays to rest your laptop on. Pretty cheap, too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=laptop+cooling+pad&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Seconding this. My brother has one he uses with his laptop and it works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Litany Unheard posted:

Seconding this. My brother has one he uses with his laptop and it works really well.

Thirding? I use one when I game, doesn't matter what game I play, the laptop gets scorching.