Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

quakelive lets you specifically ragequit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
How hard is it to get from DMG -> LE? I'm told there's a huge skillgap in this regard, moreso than pretty much any other area in such a short span of time, and here's where it starts to somewhat get challenging. I just want to know what I'm in for more than how to improve, because I'm steadily climbing ranks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

trying to jack off posted:

quakelive lets you specifically ragequit

That's still running? drat, I thought it had long since faded into obscurity despite being a really fun and accessible quasi-browser port of Q3A.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

nosl posted:

How hard is it to get from DMG -> LE? I'm told there's a huge skillgap in this regard, moreso than pretty much any other area in such a short span of time, and here's where it starts to somewhat get challenging. I just want to know what I'm in for more than how to improve, because I'm steadily climbing ranks.

This was true a year+ ago, but I'm not so certain it's still the case. I went from DMG to LE in less than a week back in april, I found the slog to be LEM to SMFC

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nosl posted:

There's barely any difference now. That gap you mention did close after the Vaccination or its whereabouts.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It took me a while to get from MGE to DMG but DMG to LE wasn't that hard. I think it all depends on the person tbh, I've never seen any consistent opinions on how long it takes for those ranks in particular.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's yelling at me to level up before it will let me play competitive mode even though I played it before levels were a thing.

Little do they know that I will be just as terrible after 100 gungames

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
play demolition instead it goes faster i think

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

qhat posted:

When was the last time the UK was ever good at an esport, let alone CS?

Sometimes the UK is good at COD :saddowns:

Overall the UK just has an attitude problem. Almost impossible to gather together 5 like minded people with dedication. There are some extremely skilled UK players though - you'll see a UK person at the top of the ESEA RWS list consistently, so it isn't like the raw talent isn't there. And these are random players playing solo and getting above players like Kjaerbye, who are the EU equivalent of NA pug gods.

Same sort of thing happened in Source. Danish and French scenes dominated, as they sort of do now (excluding Sweden), but every so often a UK team would coalesce and beat all of them, only to crumble and disappear soon afterwards. The difference was that the UK had a functioning grassroots league system that catered for poo poo people, which we needed badly, just like NA needs ESEA badly. But the UK version collapsed and so did the entire scene.

There was an interview a while ago with GuardiaN, asking him if he was intimidated by any of the players he was playing against (implying the legendary 1.6ers, as this was early on in GO) - and he was like no, the only player I've ever been worried about to AWP against is RattlesnK.

Consensus was that RattlesnK was the best AWPer in CS:S, so given that GuardiaN is now possibly the best AWPer and player in GO, it shows at least that there was potential once for a UK team to work. Welp that's the UK's story. We're poo poo now though :toot:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't think ESEA is the equivalent to that, or at least shouldn't be. I'd say that was CAL which did indeed collapse in on itself and is now basically CEVO. Is the ping limiting for brits trying to play league in the mainland or what?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I think this is the only game where you can win, topfrag, and still have 0 fun

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Kumbamontu posted:

play demolition instead it goes faster i think

While I recommend this course of action, I don't think it's really provably faster. It might be a bit faster if you do well and way slower if you lose.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

MOBA.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Jeza posted:

Consensus was that RattlesnK was the best AWPer in CS:S, so given that GuardiaN is now possibly the best AWPer and player in GO, it shows at least that there was potential once for a UK team to work. Welp that's the UK's story. We're poo poo now though :toot:

You also had Mangiacapra back in 1.6 on team... 4Kings? Well the rest of the players kinda sucked but he was good.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

Don't worry, this can be true in any team game! You just need to build the proper community.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

surc posted:

Don't worry, this can be true in any team game! You just need to build the proper community.

my g*d drat professional mario kart team is constantly baiting me

surc
Aug 17, 2004

"Yeah man, you take first, go for it!"
*blue shell*
*blue shell*
*red shell from teammate*
"Oh poo poo, sorry man! I thought you were an enemy!"

E: "I'm so sick of these loving team-banana peels!"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

BabeLiker90 posted:

I don't think ESEA is the equivalent to that, or at least shouldn't be. I'd say that was CAL which did indeed collapse in on itself and is now basically CEVO. Is the ping limiting for brits trying to play league in the mainland or what?

If you mean the US, then yeah, but both CEVO, ESL and ESEA offer EU servers so the only thing limiting the UK is us being poo poo. Take the NA clusterfuck, make it even less organised, divide the number of active players by four or five. Doubtful an internationally competitive team can emerge from that. In the UK, uptake in American leagues (ESL is/was pure trash) is pretty erratic, especially as they cost money. ESEA and CEVO however are like community hubs for NA players, so there's lots of reasons for US players to have a sub or play in a ladder. UK players have no hub, thus are split everywhere.

No UK scrimming channels survive, or tight knit community that allows new players to emerge. Maybe a good way to contextualise what I'm saying is: if I wanted to join a team in the UK right now, I would have no idea how or where to look. It's that bad. UK CS was killed off by the loss of EnemyDown and cadred.

The only reason that's a bad thing is that we don't get to watch games where pro UK players flame in all chat and threaten to fight other players on LAN.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I get that and it sucks a lot but my question is this: is the ping differential so bad that Brits can't play with people across the channel and such so the top flight talent can still compete?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

BabeLiker90 posted:

I get that and it sucks a lot but my question is this: is the ping differential so bad that Brits can't play with people across the channel and such so the top flight talent can still compete?

No. You may need to refresh your memory as to how large the channel/Europe is. I can walk out my front door and be in Paris in just over two hours by train. If anything the US has a bigger ping issues, due to low quality internet provision and large geographical distance. I only ping around 50 to Stockholm or Eastern Europe.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No, my memory is good. I just think with the EU being such a big deal over there that there'd be little animosity between nations' video game players and that there not being a nationalistic UK team isn't really important given that context and the lack of ping differential that we face in the US (that is a genuine problem all the time, just think about people's job times and when they realistically have time to play and how that matches up over a 3 hour timezone span). In other words, if you're good in the UK you're still available to play with top flight talent. In NA if you end up half decent...the top scene here is pretty "cool". What's worse is it's always been full of shitters at the top, even back in the days of 1.6 and vcod and quake. That doesn't seem to be a problem in the EU except for England.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Like 9/10 UK people I've played with on esea have been the most dunning Kruger-rear end toxic shits I've ever meet in cs

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

BabeLiker90 posted:

cs is genetic. The story of na cs is really just the long struggle of trying to overcome the restrictive yoke of those monarchists. Hiko is basically george washington.

Liquid should be out scouting the children of Scandinavian immigrants if they want to win a major

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

BabeLiker90 posted:

No, my memory is good. I just think with the EU being such a big deal over there that there'd be little animosity between nations' video game players and that there not being a nationalistic UK team isn't really important given that context and the lack of ping differential that we face in the US (that is a genuine problem all the time, just think about people's job times and when they realistically have time to play and how that matches up over a 3 hour timezone span). In other words, if you're good in the UK you're still available to play with top flight talent. In NA if you end up half decent...the top scene here is pretty "cool". What's worse is it's always been full of shitters at the top, even back in the days of 1.6 and vcod and quake. That doesn't seem to be a problem in the EU except for England.

CS is still very nationalistic. You may look at a team like G2 and think "well, here's a multi national EU team speaking English, why don't good UK players flee abroad?". The problem is that not a single one of those players came from nowhere. All of them came from single-nation successful lineups, where they made a mark at international LANs.

90% of top EU teams may speak English on their streams etc. but their in-game calls are all native. nV, Titan, Na'Vi, fnatic, NiP (now and sort of before), VP, mouz and the rest. Ironically, there is little place for an English speaking player in top teams, despite it being a common second language. Weber from EZskins has announced he is abandoning UK teams to look abroad.

Question is: will he find anybody decent to pick him up? They'll have to speak English, and he hardly has the results to make him look like an appealing prospect.

And not to bring geopolitics into the CS thread, but your outsider's perspective on the EU I find pretty endearing. It's all wrong though, nations really hate each other all the time. The only uniting characteristic is hating Russians. UK has the literal worst perception within the EU, and also hates the EU (is staring down the barrel of a referendum to leave the EU in the imminent future.)

Depths posted:

Like 9/10 UK people I've played with on esea have been the most dunning Kruger-rear end toxic shits I've ever meet in cs

Case in point. I'll play with you Depths :unsmigghh:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

In that case, my advice is to learn french and to love snails.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

CS needs to sell ads for skins. New Mountain Dew skin for your smoke grenade!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

RWS is probably part of the reason NA players are such wankers to each other.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think it contributes to why NA CS isn't as competitive for sure. To get high RWS, you need to be aggressive. Another word for it can be, at times, reckless.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I also think it just heavily encourages individual plays and getting picks to win, and severely punishes supporting and strategic plays. I guess that's why solid and repeatable executions onto a site are sparse in NA.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

qhat posted:

I also think it just heavily encourages individual plays and getting picks to win, and severely punishes supporting and strategic plays. I guess that's why solid and repeatable executions onto a site are sparse in NA.

I just wish Faceit had a client rather than just the browser. No RWS, Actual progressive ladders, and their servers are actually top notch... Well except the Dallas ones.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
When posting your mouse sensitivity, please include your MM rank so we know whether or not to value your input TIA.

sants
May 17, 2003

free beavis
1.5@800 inverted

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kwilty posted:

I just wish Faceit had a client rather than just the browser. No RWS, Actual progressive ladders, and their servers are actually top notch... Well except the Dallas ones.

Out of the 20 or so faceit matches I played, I must have enjoyed like 4 of them. For a service that people have to actually go to a separate website to play video game shoot mans, there are an unbelievable amount of lamers and trolls. Also, a lot of people just seem to quit the match when we are losing, or if they don't get the map they want, or just never connect in the first place. It's a great concept on paper, but whatever they've done to attract so much literal poo poo really kills it for me and I have not used it for months.

qhat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 17, 2015

Carrier
May 12, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

When posting your mouse sensitivity, please include your MM rank so we know whether or not to value your input TIA.

3.2 @ 600, no rank

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

10@800 Global Wood Elite

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

.6 at 800 dpi, prestige level 2 DMG

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

3.75@400
+mouse accel
mg1

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
How do I figure out my mouse DPI. Its a best buy insignia mouse I bought for 8 dollars.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

qhat posted:

Out of the 20 or so faceit matches I played, I must have enjoyed like 4 of them. For a service that people have to actually go to a separate website to play video game shoot mans, there are an unbelievable amount of lamers and trolls. Also, a lot of people just seem to quit the match when we are losing, or if they don't get the map they want, or just never connect in the first place. It's a great concept on paper, but whatever they've done to attract so much literal poo poo really kills it for me and I have not used it for months.

Still rockin that free league though aren't you?

Not to mention with FPL on faceit now, if you actually rank up a little there is some good competition in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

qhat posted:

Sounds like the new CAL-o

that poo poo was awful in CS until you got out of open and into im+

• Locked thread