Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Subjunctive posted:

You're loving adorable.

I know, wishful thinking.

ShadowHawk posted:

Effects on your driver are not an externality, they're a party of the transaction. Externalities are stuff like pollution and wear and tear on the roads that neither of you are paying for.

Yeah, I really mean that maybe some drivers will see that they are not taking all costs into account, and then maybe, just maybe some of them will extend that line of thought into other aspects of their life. Probably not though, because people are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

Nothing like a good clickbait article to gin up the ol' badwithmoney:

https://www.dailyworth.com/posts/4029-the-hidden-cost-of-diy

The premise is "there are some things you should leave to the experts!" which is true enough; it's probably not a good idea to flush your transmission fluid at home for example, and they point out that selling your home and doing your taxes can be tricky if you have a complicated situation but then the article goes right to crazy town.

:psyduck:

edit: Good with money - The Daily Worth getting paid a couple thou to post an article that slyly advertises Instacart, Munchery, and Shyp as useful services and not loving stupid ideas.

lol if your local grocery store won't do your shopping and deliver it to you for free.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

The premise is "there are some things you should leave to the experts!" which is true enough; it's probably not a good idea to flush your transmission fluid at home for example, and they point out that selling your home and doing your taxes can be tricky if you have a complicated situation but then the article goes right to crazy town.

edit: Good with money - The Daily Worth getting paid a couple thou to post an article that slyly advertises Instacart, Munchery, and Shyp as useful services and not loving stupid ideas.

I think it started out in crazy town. Changing your transmission fluid is hard on some cars but rotating your tires? How is that a professional job? It's just good practice for changing a flat on the road side.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Leviathan Song posted:

I think it started out in crazy town. Changing your transmission fluid is hard on some cars but rotating your tires? How is that a professional job? It's just good practice for changing a flat on the road side.

Yeah and their big scary thing is "Putting the wrong oil filter on your car can blow your engine." If you don't know how to locate which oil filter is right for your car, you're going to have a bad time with just about everything in life.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Has this been covered? I don't think so:

http://swanluv.com/

Is this what we've become?

swanluv.com posted:

How it works

Receive funds up to $10,000 towards your dream wedding for FREE (paid by members that don’t stay married).

How do we help couples stay together?

Free marriage counseling is available.

What happens if I get a divorce?

Couples who receive SwanLuv funds and are later divorced will be required to pay back the amount funded and incurred interest to date.

Does SwanLuv profit from divorces?

No.
100% of the money collected from members who are later divorced is used to provide funds for future couples' dream weddings. SwanLuv keeps the dream alive.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

topenga posted:

Regardless of how the details of this particular one works, I kind of like the idea. Ignore the fact that this one is a whole-life term and it's particularly to pay for a wedding. The part I like is that, if you wouldn't bet ($1000, $10000, $100000???) that your marriage will last, say, 20 years, should you really have children? Plenty of people obviously do without being that certain, but I think it's unwise and this sort of thing does serve well to highlight it.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Uuh... I would gladly shell out 10-15 € per hour of free time gained from not having to do household chores. I would spend most of the additional free time on learning a new skill I desperately need for my career, the rest on enjoying my life.
The main thing keeping me from it are "transaction costs": Overhead from evaluating and selecting potential services, organising and instructing people to do the work, trusting a stranger in my house, etc.

Seriously, this is a "penny wise, pounds foolish" attitude.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

"Just pick up more hours at your job! That's a simple thing that literally everyone can do, right?"

Even ignoring the Bad With Life that implies past a certain number of hours worked, it's flat out not feasible for a lot of people.

topenga posted:

So what's stopping people from just not telling SwanLuv they divorced? Or just waiting until it inevitably goes under, because there's no way "hand out free money to marrying couples, hope a few get divorced, get funds from advertising in the meanwhile" is sustainable.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

BloodBag posted:

Blocking texts from Uber while you're a driver for them seems bad with money... Sounds like they're one of those people who never fucks up and it's always someone else's fault when something goes wrong.
https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/3x21d3/the_no_second_chance_economy/

Now, the BWM:

As well:

quote:

I have no debt luckily, but it would have been nice to have something to show for after nearly 2 years of driving. I used my parents car and paid the payments. I started doing so bad after they lowered rates though, so it was taking me forever to pay it off and ultimately I never made it. Now 80k miles on a 2014 car with still $12k owed.
Car debt isn't debt. Got it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

You see it's not debt because she can break even by selling the car.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

A friend just told me that her relative (the one I recently mentioned had bought a new truck for their husband while still living at home) is asking for cash or Target gift cards for Christmas because they "have the truck payment now and don't need anything else."

Anything but cash or gift cards to buy basic goods, I guess :allears:

:smith:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Senf posted:

A friend just told me that her relative (the one I recently mentioned had bought a new truck for their husband while still living at home) is asking for cash or Target gift cards for Christmas because they "have the truck payment now and don't need anything else."

Anything but cash or gift cards to buy basic goods, I guess :allears:

:smith:

I'm just waiting until something goes wrong with their cash flow and you post the unfolding disaster.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

"Just pick up more hours at your job! That's a simple thing that literally everyone can do, right?"

Even ignoring the Bad With Life that implies past a certain number of hours worked, it's flat out not feasible for a lot of people.

Oh man, I can remember having this discussion with a co-worker years ago. It's one of those things that if you just skim over the idea and don't put real thought into it, it makes sense. Of course if I get paid $50 an hour I should contract out menial chores that cost less per hour! It will take the same amount of time and I'll have more money!

Except, your life will slowly turn into nothing but work work, and c'mon, deep down everyone knows that's bad. It doesn't pass the smell test unless you're a manchild autist. A rich man will pay thousands of dollars to ride a horse up and down a beach and call it vacation. But if you offered him $5 an hour to do the same task, he'd be insulted. This is because we're people, not computer. That article is such a weird calculator person view of life.

Plus you would become more reliant on your job, and less independent. It's actively striving to be dependent on other people to care for you. It's the total opposite of financial independence.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Haifisch posted:

So what's stopping people from just not telling SwanLuv they divorced? Or just waiting until it inevitably goes under, because there's no way "hand out free money to marrying couples, hope a few get divorced, get funds from advertising in the meanwhile" is sustainable.

I'm kind of curious why any couple who is already GWM along with other signals for a long and successful marriage shouldn't use SwanLuv. Do they audit and make sure you blow your money on a wedding? What if they used the money for some actual GWM purpose instead of a wedding ceremony?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

SiGmA_X posted:

What I say to all the smug fucks with a mortgage half my retirement savings, while I rent.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

blugu64 posted:

What I say to all the smug fucks with a mortgage half my retirement savings, while I rent.

At least it's a loan with a collateral. Could be worse.

MentalStaples
Sep 25, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

As well:

I think he says that because it says he used his parents' car, and was just making the payments for them, so the debt isn't actually his. But, using someone else's car for uber is also a pretty bad idea.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
*blows smoke from fancy cigar*
Yeah, I got a zero carried-interest loan on a half-dozen lightly used Pomeranians back in the boom days, then sold them right before the market crash. Made a killing, then used the cash as a down payment to buy&resell AAA-rated tranches of sub-prime irish setters to pet-pension funds. That's how you make money in the high-stakes Puppy Finance biz *swirls scotch*

(my photo, from an army base town)

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 17, 2015

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/12/17/pharma-bro-martin-shkreli-arrested-for-securities-fraud/

One could argue this guy may be bad with money...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

He's a gargantuan rear end in a top hat, but he's filthy loving rich. Securities fraud is apparently good with money if you don't get caught.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Not a Children posted:

He's a gargantuan rear end in a top hat, but he's filthy loving rich. Securities fraud is apparently good with money if you don't get caught.

Eh, he seems like he's rich. He's actually just been doing a Ponzi scheme.

I was so excited that he was arrested, though.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
He bad with money his companies share price dropped by 50% after his arrest.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Man, what about that guy who shorted KBIO when it was 2 bucks and got hit for over 100k? If that stock returns to a couple bucks a share, it will be the ultimate twist of the knife...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Man, what about that guy who shorted KBIO when it was 2 bucks and got hit for over 100k? If When that stock returns to a couple bucks a share, it will be the ultimate twist of the knife...hilarious.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

crazysim posted:

I'm kind of curious why any couple who is already GWM along with other signals for a long and successful marriage shouldn't use SwanLuv. Do they audit and make sure you blow your money on a wedding? What if they used the money for some actual GWM purpose instead of a wedding ceremony?

My coworkers speculated that it's not real money. The couple is given a voucher (not a real live check) for whatever amount that is only good with a list of pre-approved vendors (aka, the people they sold your information to).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hi, I'm scuz, and I've been making abhorrent financial decisions for 13 years. Finances were never discussed on any level while I was growing up, so I never considered money to be important or anything with which to concern myself and have subsequently racked up loads and loads of debt and don't know how to manage it. I took a better job that I knew I would loathe in order to make more aggressive payments on my cards, but even that's not enough. My total credit card debt is just north of $13k and I'm completely unsure how to handle it. I transferred as much of a balance from one card to a 0% APR card as I could, but it was absolutely not enough. I've already done all I can with my enormous student loan debt, but I've been thinking about getting a consolidated loan from a bank or something because the interest rates on ~8k of the debt is 23.9%, which is way, way high. I'm having trouble with getting a recommendation from anywhere on how to handle this stuff, so I've turned to goons. Any advice is appreciated short of invent a time machine to go slap some sense into my younger self.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

scuz posted:

Hi, I'm scuz, and I've been making abhorrent financial decisions for 13 years. Finances were never discussed on any level while I was growing up, so I never considered money to be important or anything with which to concern myself and have subsequently racked up loads and loads of debt and don't know how to manage it. I took a better job that I knew I would loathe in order to make more aggressive payments on my cards, but even that's not enough. My total credit card debt is just north of $13k and I'm completely unsure how to handle it. I transferred as much of a balance from one card to a 0% APR card as I could, but it was absolutely not enough. I've already done all I can with my enormous student loan debt, but I've been thinking about getting a consolidated loan from a bank or something because the interest rates on ~8k of the debt is 23.9%, which is way, way high. I'm having trouble with getting a recommendation from anywhere on how to handle this stuff, so I've turned to goons. Any advice is appreciated short of invent a time machine to go slap some sense into my younger self.

Gonna go with "make a thread."

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle Enzo posted:

*blows smoke from fancy cigar*
Yeah, I got a zero carried-interest loan on a half-dozen lightly used Pomeranians back in the boom days, then sold them right before the market crash. Made a killing, then used the cash as a down payment to buy&resell AAA-rated tranches of sub-prime irish setters to pet-pension funds. That's how you make money in the high-stakes Puppy Finance biz *swirls scotch*

(my photo, from an army base town)

We bought a dog from a local store that does that. They showed me the financing and you ended up paying something like 50% interest.

I was like "We'll take that one on sale that I can pay in cash".

Dog farts a lot but she's sweet.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

scuz posted:

Make a thread and make an itemized list of all your debts, APRs, and your income and budget.

http://unbury.us/ is good if you have multiple credit cards, it tells you how to pay them off.

Also, now that the new star wars is out, if only we could get an update from our favorite goon girl.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Yeah, make a thread and we can try to help, scuz.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys/gals! Getting all the numbers together and will get something up this evening. I'll try to include everything, even utility bills, cuz I guess that's money too.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

scuz posted:

Consolidated loans generally aren't that great of an idea. Post a thread with more specifics and you'll get some good feedback. And don't stress too hard on past financial mistakes - $13k is not that unmanageable, even with student loans on top. You can do it!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Watching that psychopathic media whore get put in the back of a federal agent's car warmed my heart. Christmas miracles are real.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

hanales posted:

We bought a dog from a local store that does that. They showed me the financing and you ended up paying something like 50% interest.

I was like "We'll take that one on sale that I can pay in cash".

Dog farts a lot but she's sweet.

Should have adopted instead

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

Watching that psychopathic media whore get put in the back of a federal agent's car warmed my heart. Christmas miracles are real.

No doubt. My only worry is the feds seizing the Wu Tang album (proceeds of crime maybe?), depriving us of the chance to see Bill Murray team up with the Wu for the heist of the century.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

No doubt. My only worry is the feds seizing the Wu Tang album (proceeds of crime maybe?), depriving us of the chance to see Bill Murray team up with the Wu for the heist of the century.

Actually that's bums me out, unless Bill Murray and Wu Tang break Pharma Bro out of prison to steal back the album.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Armacham posted:

Should have adopted instead
My adopted dog farts a lot, too. We both like cheese a lot.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My adopted dog was $10 with vaccinations, microchip and spay because it was a Black Friday sale at the county shelter :smug:

House trained, crate trained, hilariously friendly. Just happens to be a 75 pound pitbull. Scary dog discount!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Guys if you are going to talk about dogges you are going to have to post pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Guys if you are going to talk about dogges you are going to have to post pics.

Voting we make this a rule

• Locked thread