Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So after the first night my initial impressions of it is that just using it for sound it's a loving pad machine. Like to get anywhere close to what it can do I would have to stack both Alchemy and Bazille with several effects while the Xa does that poo poo effortlessly. Got into the sequencer a bit at the end and despite it being pretty basic it's actually a huge strength since using it as a sketch pad I was able to just gently caress around on it and before I knew it I had the beginning of a song only using 6 tracks with 1/2 of those drums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

0dB posted:

You need a tuba in your orchestra?

No, sensibly, I'm the opposite. Started with Roland and worked my way towards the others. Roland is very versatile, it gets you where you need to be in the music you're making. I find a lot of other manufacturers have 'a sound' which is more than likely not going to get me where I need. Prefer Yamaha for the complex noises though.

My worst company is Dave Smith. I buy, I try, I sell again.

See, what you're saying makes a lot of sense to me. With the kind of work I do, when it comes to synths, I want uniqueness or definite character; I don't want a "one size fits all" kind of machine. So versatility is less appealing to me. That might be why I've had trouble finding anything from Roland that really appeals to me. Meanwhile I love the Microbrute and lust after Moog and DSI poo poo.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

See, what you're saying makes a lot of sense to me. With the kind of work I do, when it comes to synths, I want uniqueness or definite character; I don't want a "one size fits all" kind of machine. So versatility is less appealing to me. That might be why I've had trouble finding anything from Roland that really appeals to me. Meanwhile I love the Microbrute and lust after Moog and DSI poo poo.

A lot of the time, at least for me anyway, is spent on the song writing and as the melody changes the idea for the voicing changes. A mid range sound can be almost what I wanted, which then gets replaced by the more specific thing. Trying to do that starting with, um maybe a TX81z, is going to really restrict the range. But your Roland is going to get most of the way there.

There's also the time and a place - starting out you buy from hock shops and all the ones here in the early 80's had Roland and later on Korg. American and UK keyboards were really expensive. It was only later that I could afford even something cheap by Ensoniq.

Anyway, why not have just one Roland for those milk chocolate moments?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

it's a loving pad machine

Is that good or bad?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

0dB posted:

Is that good or bad?

good if you want pads

I was kind of disappointed that the JDXi wasn't a full blown modern SH101 + digital stuff though. One knob envelopes, wat. JDXa felt a lot better, but I'm kind of weirded out by the dual displays.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

0dB posted:

Is that good or bad?

Fantastic, especially since those pads can have a ton of things evolving and changing while you play them so it's not just a static chord.

Another fun thing is to stack 3 of the digital super saw waves with both analog saw waves with all of them being slightly out of phase with one another through the analog filter, and then stack those 4 voices together. 20+ saw waves stacked in a single bass line patch is kind of amazing, even if 2/3 of them are digital since they're all going through the same 4 filters.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 13, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Fantastic, especially since those pads can have a ton of things evolving and changing while you play them so it's not just a static chord.

Another fun thing is to stack 3 of the digital super saw waves with both analog saw waves with all of them being slightly out of phase with one another through the analog filter, and then stack those 4 voices together. 20+ saw waves stacked in a single bass line patch is kind of amazing, even if 2/3 of them are digital since they're all going through the same 4 filters.

A track! A track! Make us a track!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Welp.

Just ordered another A-100lc9 case and $800 of other modules from Music Store in Germany.

[Past me] "I'll get the 9U, I'll never need another case!" :rimshot:

Yeah, right. gently caress you, past me. Hail Satan.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 13, 2015

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think you forgot what thread you're in.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

net work error posted:

I think you forgot what thread you're in.

I think we do ourselves a disservice; I see more finished tracks in this thread than I do on, say, Muffwiggers or elsewhere.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Are there good resources out there for building your own synth from scratch? I haven't done an integrated systems/construction project in some time, and it seems like the perfect opportunity to add a unique flare to my own production.

Bonus points for rack-mount DIY projects- I have some 19" racks that are currently unused.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

JVNO posted:

Are there good resources out there for building your own synth from scratch? I haven't done an integrated systems/construction project in some time, and it seems like the perfect opportunity to add a unique flare to my own production.

Bonus points for rack-mount DIY projects- I have some 19" racks that are currently unused.

Music From Outer Space has some pretty cool projects. He's got all the schematics up there but you can also order pre-made empty circuit boards that you solder all the components on to.

EDIT: Looks like the guy who runs the site is going through cancer treatment so the store part is closed (temporarily I hope) :smith:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Plan on it, but after the first of the year since the wife is finishing grad school this week and we're on vacation the next, and then it's the Christmas/ New Years bull poo poo after that.

I actually have a ton of sketches right now that I need to finish, but I'm waiting on a few things before finishing them.

The_Wind_Spirit
Oct 13, 2012

JVNO posted:

https://www.cgs.synth.net

DrChu
May 14, 2002

JVNO posted:

http://www.paia.com/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

JVNO posted:

From absolute scratch get yon electronotes archives, troll the synthdiy listserv and a bunch of old books. Lancaster's cookbooks too if they're not on there.
I'd probably just get a healthy bunch of blacet kits though, they're reasonably priced and well put-together. Build the 'expensive' stuff yourself, chassis and power supplies are spendy prebuilt.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
New elements firmware is a ton of fun. Here it is in chords mode.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156333343680425&id=543655424

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156333525550425&id=543655424

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ordered the Odyssey with an SQ-1.

Hail Satan!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

i haven't tried the new firmware yet, but it looks like a ton of fun! i took elements out of my rack to make room for rings, which i think i prefer even though it doesn't have the exciter section that elements does.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

sliderule posted:

Ordered the Odyssey with an SQ-1.

Hail Satan!

Hail Satan, brother.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

JVNO posted:

In addition to the ones already mentioned, https://www.oakleysound.com 5U and also some 19" units. The PCBs and documentation are first class.

This is also a fantastic resource: http://modularsynthesis.com/modules/tips/tips.htm

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Arturia V Collection 4 is now available for $149 if you're already an Arturia user. It's directly through their store and I guess by "user" they just mean "have a free account."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Decided I was done running tests on the Casio DM100 and it sold nearly the moment I put up the sales post on a forum. I sampled 606, 808, 909, KR55, DMX, Linn and more through it beforehand because it would be bad to not, will share if so desired sometime. (no problem getting the raw wavs out of the files)

Question is, are there any VSTs trying to emulate the Casio SK/DM100 sampling circuit path? The effect cannot be replicated in hardware or software (by ordinary means), it's 8bit 9.35kHz mono if anybody wants to try. Adjusting samples on digital hardware it just becomes bitcrunch horror, in software it either becomes that or sterile garbage. I would get into 5U or Eurocrack if a replica SK/DM100 sampler throughput filter module was made.

If the Roland sampler-emulator box for NAMM 2016 turns out to be true that'll be as good as it gets, if it does it right.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 18, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TAL Sampler does some more in depth "vintage DAC emulation" that sounds pretty ok to me. Not DM100 specifically, apparently, but worth a look.

Mainly just grabbing the opportunity to say that I like the plugin a lot. I bought a sample cd in 1997 or something that has all these perfectly tuned and looped single note samples and anything Kontakt-like, multi-sample oriented always seemed like massive overkill.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Anyone seen this documentary http://brightsparks.movie/ ? Any good?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Have TAL sampler, confirm it owns bones.

Odyssey trip report: the HPF does amazing things with feedback plus filter FM.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

My mixer+synths setup has become disorganized as I've pulled out and added stuff. Does anybody have any recommendations for laptop stands (for my electribes) or tabletop keyboard stands for my Taktile and Ultranova. Any other tips for studio organization?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bolange posted:

Anyone seen this documentary http://brightsparks.movie/ ? Any good?
Haven't seen it, but SonicTalk 429 did a whole making of, the what, how and why thing about it and it made it sound really interesting.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Any recommendations on a reasonably price dedicated synth? I'm looking for something with decent stock sounds. I'm not a keyboard player, just looking to put some ambiance into the background of guitar heavy music. I had a K2000 back in the day that did well but I'm not looking to spend that much again. I do have some softsynths, but I want something that I can walk up to and go when the mood strikes.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Luna posted:

Any recommendations on a reasonably price dedicated synth? I'm looking for something with decent stock sounds. I'm not a keyboard player, just looking to put some ambiance into the background of guitar heavy music. I had a K2000 back in the day that did well but I'm not looking to spend that much again. I do have some softsynths, but I want something that I can walk up to and go when the mood strikes.

I don't know much about ROMplers or workstations, but one cheap option would be the Korg Triton Taktile-25 and 49. They are respectively $199 and $299. They aren't really dedicated synths, but MIDI controllers with 500 internal sounds. They rely on USB for power, and output sound through a headphone port. But hey, ad a cheap AC-USB adapter, and a 3.5 to 1/4" Y cable and you're in business. I think it sounds OK for preset synthesizer, but I'm pretty biased against presets, especially ones I can't change.

I do have a Taktile-49 without the sounds, and I'm generally pleased by it's build quality and the number and utility of controls. I really like the keybed, not as much as my UltraNova but it's still pretty solid with semi-weighted action.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Luna posted:

Define decent stock sounds. I loved fiddling about on my Electribe EMX. If I wasn't dead set on getting an Elektron machine I'd also look at a Yamaha rm1x but I hear that has a harder learning curve if you've never used a step sequencer. The latter can be found for about 200 USD used or less.

Luna
May 31, 2001

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Define decent stock sounds. I loved fiddling about on my Electribe EMX. If I wasn't dead set on getting an Elektron machine I'd also look at a Yamaha rm1x but I hear that has a harder learning curve if you've never used a step sequencer. The latter can be found for about 200 USD used or less.

Passable piano, strings, pads etc. I don't want it to sound like a $50 casio but it also will not be out front in the music. I know people dogged on the stock Kurzweil sounds but they did fine for me. Being able to use it stand alone from software/computer is the main selling point with having the option of using software to extend its capabilities if needed is second. Price range, probably $300-600ish.

Luna
May 31, 2001

Looking at features and demos, it looks like the Yamaha MX-49/61 might fit. Any thoughts on that that line?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Luna posted:

Looking at features and demos, it looks like the Yamaha MX-49/61 might fit. Any thoughts on that that line?

To be honest, both that and the Triton Tactile sound like what guys who play weddings and Bar Mitzvahs bring along. It's a typical ROMpler, tries to sound like lots of other things and does it badly. Myself and most of the posters here like synths that sound like synths.

Or really expensive synths that sound like farts, be that as it may.

Luna
May 31, 2001

AxeBreaker posted:

To be honest, both that and the Triton Tactile sound like what guys who play weddings and Bar Mitzvahs bring along. It's a typical ROMpler, tries to sound like lots of other things and does it badly. Myself and most of the posters here like synths that sound like synths.

Or really expensive synths that sound like farts, be that as it may.

Fair enough. So is there a middle ground between Bar Mitzvahs and fiddling with nobs all day? I'm a guitar player, so I don't have much interest in going whole hog into synths. I'm looking or accompaniment and possibly some time inspiration from it. Something like "Oh, a mellotron playing an A minor chord behind that guitar riff would sound good."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Luna posted:

Fair enough. So is there a middle ground between Bar Mitzvahs and fiddling with nobs all day? I'm a guitar player, so I don't have much interest in going whole hog into synths. I'm looking or accompaniment and possibly some time inspiration from it. Something like "Oh, a mellotron playing an A minor chord behind that guitar riff would sound good."

Software with a solid keyboard/pad/knob controller.

If you have a decent laptop running a DAW and can afford to spend some time looking for the right plugins/softsynths/sample packs/weird instruments/emulators/etc (not really that much time, tbh), it's far and away the solution that makes the most sense.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Yamaha rm1x but I hear that has a harder learning curve if you've never used a step sequencer.

Lies. It takes maybe 1/2 an hour to get the hang of the grid mode and an afternoon to learn the rest. It's got peculiarities and things you must remember, but so does every other piece of equipment ever made.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

You can get used K2000s in that price range too fwiw

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The JD-Xi might be worth a look, afaik it's got a good amount of bread and butter rompler sounds as well as a capable synth engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog

JVNO posted:

Mixed resources and forums:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17 (DIY forum)
http://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/TH_main.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-112.html
http://modularsynthesis.com/

Shops:
http://oakleysound.com/projects.htm (complete range of modules with assembly and calibration instructions)
https://www.thonk.co.uk/ (UK-based shop with pcbs/panels and rare parts)
https://synthcube.com/cart/ (US-based shop)
http://randomsource.net/
http://blacet.com/