Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Reverse Centaur posted:

That was 1.5 years ago. Now units sell for much more without any effort. But yeah I was freaking out a bit back then.

I'm not saying ownership is guaranteed better, but so far for me it has been despite almost everything going wrong since 2005. And I know it could still get worse.

Let's have a little more humility out of you, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
No way he paid way too much for pride of ownership to bottle that up

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

What are your condo fees?

They used to be half this but now they are $300 including heat and water.

I see how my post looked douchey but that was not my intent. Just a dumb response to the glee some people have about interest rates going up.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Reverse Centaur posted:

I see how my post looked douchey but that was not my intent. Just a dumb response to the glee some people have about interest rates going up.

That's half my monthly rent + utilities right there. Suck it, ownailures. :chord:

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Rime posted:

That's half my monthly rent + utilities right there. Suck it, ownailures. :chord:

Do you live in a literal junk shack?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The rent on cardboard boxes is outrageous.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

So $300/month condo fees, I'm gonna guess half your mortgage is interest payment so $350, I'm guessing at least $200/month in property tax, and then add in any maintenance, including the odd $10 000 punch in the dick from the rest of the condo building. So, like, $1050/month cost, $350 principle payment? Is it better than this?

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 17, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Square Peg posted:

So $300/month condo fees, I'm gonna guess half your mortgage is interest payment so $350, I'm guessing at least $200/month in property tax, and then add in any maintenance, including the odd $10 000 punch in the dick from the rest of the condo building. So, like, $1050/month cost, $350 principle payment? Is it better than this?

That building you picked is the worst one on the north shore, literally in a reserve and on the busiest intersections with prostitutes doing their thing in the parking lot below it. It's also a bachelor suite - I have a wife - with no parking and 10km away from my neighbourhood. Let's try to be honest on both sides here. Try Lower Lonsdale (below 3rd) between Chesterfield and St Georges and see what you get.

Property tax is way lower too but I'm at work so can't say exactly.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

That building you picked is the worst one on the north shore, literally in a reserve and on the busiest intersections with prostitutes doing their thing in the parking lot below it. It's also a bachelor suite - I have a wife - with no parking and 10km away from my neighbourhood. Let's try to be honest on both sides here. Try Lower Lonsdale (below 3rd) between Chesterfield and St Georges and see what you get.

Property tax is way lower too but I'm at work so can't say exactly.

Fair enough.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

So you're paying $700/month in mortgage payments (is this on a $230k mortgage or something smaller? I'm guessing smaller and it doesn't reflect the true opportunity cost here, which is what CI is getting at).
You're paying $300/month in strata fees (this is not low; my strata fees were under $200 for a building with an assessed value of $350k when I owned in Vancouver).
Your maintenance has probably averaged another $150 a month (given that you've had to pay a $10k special assessment at the very least).
Property taxes are probably $75/month after the home owner's grant and all of that.

So really, you're paying the equivalent of at least $1250/month for a 40 year old 600 square foot condo. According to your own post, your property has had negligible appreciation in the last 10 years (even if your property has appreciated $20k in the past year most of that would be eaten up simply by transaction costs upon selling). That doesn't sound especially compelling to me, given that you can rent a new-ish Vancouver 1bd condo for $1400 without looking too hard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Right, but when you rent you're paying someone ELSE's mortgage.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I think we long ago established that trying to explain finances to anyone with skin in the game is an exercise in futility, as owning in this market by necessity requires a certain level of self-delusion which makes such math impossible.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Cad to USD is at an 11 year low

Lol get fuckedddddddd

Coincidentally, you started this thread on basically the last day that the CAD and USD were on par (February 14, 2013). Things sure do look different now.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
We are gonna hit 0.65 cents in the new year aren't we? I'll be amazed if the CAD finishes above 0.70 cents next week at this rate.

EI claims up 100% in Alberta over last year. Get in fuckers.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

blah_blah posted:

So you're paying $700/month in mortgage payments (is this on a $230k mortgage or something smaller? I'm guessing smaller and it doesn't reflect the true opportunity cost here, which is what CI is getting at).
You're paying $300/month in strata fees (this is not low; my strata fees were under $200 for a building with an assessed value of $350k when I owned in Vancouver).
Your maintenance has probably averaged another $150 a month (given that you've had to pay a $10k special assessment at the very least).
Property taxes are probably $75/month after the home owner's grant and all of that.

So really, you're paying the equivalent of at least $1250/month for a 40 year old 600 square foot condo. According to your own post, your property has had negligible appreciation in the last 10 years (even if your property has appreciated $20k in the past year most of that would be eaten up simply by transaction costs upon selling). That doesn't sound especially compelling to me, given that you can rent a new-ish Vancouver 1bd condo for $1400 without looking too hard.

Again that post was 1.5 years ago. Price has gone up at least $20k since then. Replacing the pipes increase the condo's value too (got a bathroom reno in that price). Mortgage is down to $200k.

It's still less than renting, and how much money do renters get when they move out? I get everything I paid for the last 10 years back plus more.

I never wanted to be the pro ownership argument guy here though. Believe what you want to believe.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rime posted:

I think we long ago established that trying to explain finances to anyone with skin in the game is an exercise in futility, as owning in this market by necessity requires a certain level of self-delusion which makes such math impossible.

Lol.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Reverse Centaur posted:

Again that post was 1.5 years ago. Price has gone up at least $20k since then. Replacing the pipes increase the condo's value too (got a bathroom reno in that price). Mortgage is down to $200k.

It's still less than renting, and how much money do renters get when they move out? I get everything I paid for the last 10 years back plus more.

I never wanted to be the pro ownership argument guy here though. Believe what you want to believe.

So what you are saying is you have a paper profit that you are unlikely to realize given you need somewhere to live and think renting is not a prudent financial decision.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

It's not less than renting unless you're bad at math or don't understand simple concepts like 'opportunity cost'. A 5 year fixed at 2.5% on 230k with a 25 year amortization has a monthly payment of $1032. Add on an average of $500/mo in other fees that a renter won't be paying (strata, repairs, property tax), and we're at $1500/mo. For a forty year old 600 square foot condo in North Van (not exactly the one of the most desirable locations in the GVRD despite what you might like to think). I will say that when renters move out they don't have to pay a realtor $12k (about what you're looking at) to sell their place, though.

You do get the principal back, obviously, but that's the only place you're coming out ahead -- and given the timeframe and numbers you've outlined it doesn't appear to compensate for the rest.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

blah_blah posted:

It's not less than renting unless you're bad at math or don't understand simple concepts like 'opportunity cost'. A 5 year fixed at 2.5% on 230k with a 25 year amortization has a monthly payment of $1032. Add on an average of $500/mo in other fees that a renter won't be paying (strata, repairs, property tax), and we're at $1500/mo. For a forty year old 600 square foot condo in North Van (not exactly the one of the most desirable locations in the GVRD despite what you might like to think). I will say that when renters move out they don't have to pay a realtor $12k (about what you're looking at) to sell their place, though.

You do get the principal back, obviously, but that's the only place you're coming out ahead -- and given the timeframe and numbers you've outlined it doesn't appear to compensate for the rest.

-It's not a $230k loan and never was. I'm paying $700 per month, not $1032. You're choosing which snippets of info I've said to distort things to work for you.
-North Van *is* one of the most desirable and expensive neighbourhoods despite what you think. The prices back me up. Only other parts of the north shore and the west side are more expensive, and those are the most expensive areas in the country. Detached homes start at $1.2 million for absolute crap here.

Bottom line is if the market crashes renters win, if it doesn't, renters lose. That's my last post on the subject since this is obviously about people trying to make themselves feel better about their situation - perhaps myself included.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

-It's not a $230k loan and never was. I'm paying $700 per month, not $1032. You're choosing which snippets of info I've said to distort things to work for you.

Do you not understand how opportunity cost works? You are effectively subsidizing your own rent, but it's certainly not something that is 'free'. If I put a $400k down payment on a $500k condo my mortgage might technically be only $400/month, but there's a lot of other things I could be doing with $400k of cash that would have a fairly high expected return. Ignoring that is wrong. There are several ways of adjusting for this, and my calculation here is actually relatively conservative (returns on capital historically are much higher than fixed mortgage rates). This is basically first year economics.

I've owned and sold a condo in Vancouver, btw -- I'm not sure why you think this is envy. My annual compensation (before taxes) is greater than the value of your condo.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 18, 2015

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

Bottom line is if the market crashes renters win, if it doesn't, renters lose.

well sorry about your loss then

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

blah_blah posted:

I've owned and sold a condo in Vancouver, btw -- I'm not sure why you think this is envy. My annual compensation (before taxes) is greater than the value of your condo.

:rolleyes: can we put our dicks away and continue discussing Canada's impending doom?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I mean, we were until we got derailed by him telling us that if we didn't acknowledge that his 40 year old $250k North Van condo wasn't a savvy financial purchase, it was just renter envy.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Sometimes it just needs some air

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blah_blah posted:

I mean, we were until we got derailed by him telling us that if we didn't acknowledge that his 40 year old $250k North Van condo wasn't a savvy financial purchase, it was just renter envy.

lmao it very clearly is

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

blah_blah posted:

Do you not understand how opportunity cost works? You are effectively subsidizing your own rent, but it's certainly not something that is 'free'. If I put a $400k down payment on a $500k condo my mortgage might technically be only $400/month, but there's a lot of other things I could be doing with $400k of cash that would have a fairly high expected return. Ignoring that is wrong. There are several ways of adjusting for this, and my calculation here is actually relatively conservative (returns on capital historically are much higher than fixed mortgage rates). This is basically first year economics.

And who doesn't have $400,000 liquid sitting around to invest with, right?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 25, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:frogsiren: Attention CI :frogsiren:

You know that dude that's been selling bottled Albertan air? He's an Albertan ethnic Chinese mortgage broker.

Let me know if this pushes you over the edge of being able to hate someone to death.

e. edited for extra anger

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 18, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mainlander chinese are pretty bright, lolling how some of the bottles sold on Ebay for $32 per bottle

quote:

As advertised, Vitality Air is a can of lightly pressurized air: 80 per cent nitrogen, 20 per cent oxygen and no particulates or toxic gases.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

You know that dude that's been selling bottled Albertan air? He's an ethnic Chinese mortgage broker.

Let me know if this pushes you over the edge of being able to hate someone to death.

Please don't post CI's dox

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

the last signal... posted:

:rolleyes: can we put our dicks away and continue discussing Canada's impending doom?

Dollar is below 72 cents

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Guest2553 posted:

Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If I could hate people to death, there'd be a lot of people suddenly dropping dead. Every rear end in a top hat who blocks an escalator or moving sidewalk without moving comes to mind, as well as anyone who doesn't understand that people must be allowed to get off a bus or train before they jam on. Instant death. And people who use iPads to take pictures of performances or events.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Guest2553 posted:

You know that dude that's been selling bottled Albertan air? He's an Albertan ethnic Chinese mortgage broker.

e. edited for extra anger

This guy is straight up hustling idiots and he's not ashamed of it. More power to his inscrutable rear end. I have way more respect for him than Ryan Holmes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I want to fart in a bottle and sell it to Chinese people as "Alberta air." It's not even a lie, technically.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jet sanchEz posted:

Dollar is below 72 cents

I'ma trade in my stash of yankee bucks when it hits 65.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol 1.40 motherfuckers

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Can someone explain why the USD to CAD exchange is 10 cents higher on the USD side? How is it 1.40 when the inverse is 0.71? Shouldn't they be roughly equivalent? :confused:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Rime posted:

Can someone explain why the USD to CAD exchange is 10 cents higher on the USD side? How is it 1.40 when the inverse is 0.71? Shouldn't they be roughly equivalent? :confused:

Do you even fraction?

1/.70 ~= 1.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

Playstation 4 posted:

Do you even fraction?

1/.70 ~= 1.4

Rime, forgive me if I don't take your financial advice at all seriously any more. :rolleyes:

EDIT: That's stuff you're supposed to learn in grade 5 or 6, right?