Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Incidentally, the 5e video game is on a free weekend on Steam after exceedingly underwhelming reviews, so I guess if you can be bothered you can check it out and see if it's better or worse than the pile of trash known as Daggerdale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's sorta the catch though - I've trawled through the internet and I've never seen fewer people talking about D&D. The catastrophically slow publishing rate means there's just not much to talk about. 5e certainly had a big wave of interest at first, and it's public playtest thing worked great for it's PR (as was planned), but it's squandered it extremely hard.

i'm not saying they did it well just i assume that was partially the intent behind it.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

Hubis posted:

Multiclassing is an optional rule, and IMO bad in 5e for exactly the reasons cited (front-loading of abilities which scale with Character Level, for starters). Amusingly, consider this weirdness: you can take levels in disparate classes, but you cannot gain levels in sub-types of the same class (Battlemaster and Eldrich Knight, for example).

If I were to run a campaign, I'd say No Multiclassing, but aggressively add feats that mimic a weakened version of class traits.

Conversely I would say multiclassing being optional has been fantastic for me in dictating who I play with, I've found those that argue immensely for it to be part of the game usually are the ones I don't play with.

It's disturbingly common for me to see the argument 5e is too open to 'dm abuse' due to the 'power' they have, if your afraid of the dm being in control one must consider if why you rp with that person in the first place

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Elfgames posted:

i'm not saying they did it well just i assume that was partially the intent behind it.

The problem is that they aren't releasing books for it. Sure they're releasing adventure paths but those really only suit the kind of Dm that runs that instead of making up their own story. Outside of the web enhancements (which have been spells and a few races) the first "book for everyone" that they released was the SCAG, and that was still laser focused on one specific part of the Forgotten Realms.

At this point in 4e's life cycle, excluding the adventure paths. They had released Both Forgotten realms campaign settings books, the Eberron Campaign setting, the PHB 2, Martial, Divine, Arcane, and Primal Powers. Adventurer's Vault 1 and 2. the MM 2, The Chromatic Draconomicon, Manual of the Planes, Open Grave, and the DMG2.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DerVerrater posted:

Conversely I would say multiclassing being optional has been fantastic for me in dictating who I play with, I've found those that argue immensely for it to be part of the game usually are the ones I don't play with.

It's disturbingly common for me to see the argument 5e is too open to 'dm abuse' due to the 'power' they have, if your afraid of the dm being in control one must consider if why you rp with that person in the first place

If you feel you have to be "in control," why are you playing with a group?

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Gort posted:

Incidentally, the 5e video game is on a free weekend on Steam after exceedingly underwhelming reviews, so I guess if you can be bothered you can check it out and see if it's better or worse than the pile of trash known as Daggerdale.

Steam reviews posted:

To summarize the game: Yes, it is a D&D 5e based game, but light enough in rules and tedious details and processes, that pepole who haven't spent years or decades playing D&D can still pick it up and get the full experience. The game places much, MUCH emphasis on the belief that "D&D is an EXPERIENCE" rather than the mundane "D&D is a hard-coded ruleset".

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

The problem is that they aren't releasing books for it. Sure they're releasing adventure paths but those really only suit the kind of Dm that runs that instead of making up their own story. Outside of the web enhancements (which have been spells and a few races) the first "book for everyone" that they released was the SCAG, and that was still laser focused on one specific part of the Forgotten Realms.

At this point in 4e's life cycle, excluding the adventure paths. They had released Both Forgotten realms campaign settings books, the Eberron Campaign setting, the PHB 2, Martial, Divine, Arcane, and Primal Powers. Adventurer's Vault 1 and 2. the MM 2, The Chromatic Draconomicon, Manual of the Planes, Open Grave, and the DMG2.

yeah i agree why are you acting like i'm defending them?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You're not agreeing with him hard enough.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

yeah i agree why are you acting like i'm defending them?

Sorry if I came off as hostile, I was more adding to your point and surprised myself at precisely how many books there were once I went looking for them.
:shobon:

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I tried that SCL. Man, what a loving heap of steaming pooh. The combat is janky, unbalanced and everything seems laggy as hell. And the NPC cleric I brought while I played with my friends
did nothing, or would get lost and I'd have to constantly find them and bring them back to the party- even though I had follow on.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Steam Reviews posted:

To summarize the game: Yes, it is a D&D 5e based game, but light enough in rules and tedious details and processes, that pepole who haven't spent years or decades playing D&D can still pick it up and get the full experience. The game places much, MUCH emphasis on the belief that "D&D is an EXPERIENCE" rather than the mundane "D&D is a hard-coded ruleset".

What the gently caress does this even mean? Have they created an intelligent, sentient AI capable of ignoring its own code and doing whatever it wants and somehow convinced it to just play D&D but not, like, by the rules if playing by the rules would interfere with the EXPERIENCE? Seems like a waste of resources, but I guess it's better than creating Skynet or AM or whatever.

:black101: My barbarian leaps over the wagon and attacks with his axe!

:awesomelon: I'm sorry Gary, I can't let you do that without some kind of magical assistance.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 18, 2015

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
It means that the game isn't some attempt to copy the rule set as much as possible like Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate, but rather be a kinda neat Diablo-like with a D&D skin. Y'know, kinda how 4E doesn't "feel like D&D" to all the grognards out there.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

AlphaDog posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?

"I cast a spell of Protection Against Criticism."

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
The guy that posted that review is making a mod to make it even more 5e. Fighters don't get any abilities, just auto attack all the time. Casters of course get more spells and he's making the cooldown on things even longer.

If anyone has played this clownshoes game, you'll know how awful that sounds.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

I would argue that the biggest issue isn't that they aren't making GBS threads out dozens of supplements for nerds to buy, it's that the existing products are bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mewnie posted:

Fighters don't get any abilities, just auto attack all the time.

Truly the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate we've all been waiting for.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mewnie posted:

The guy that posted that review is making a mod to make it even more 5e. Fighters don't get any abilities, just auto attack all the time. Casters of course get more spells and he's making the cooldown on things even longer.

If anyone has played this clownshoes game, you'll know how awful that sounds.

:laffo: not anymore, I looked it up and the mod is an unusable buggy nightmare that requires third party applications to install, and of course it devolved almost instantly into modder infighting and drama. Like, in less then a week.

Also, lots of complaints that the multiplayer is empty.

I'm so glad the D&D brand continues to be worth exactly as much as it should.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Skellybones posted:

I would argue that the biggest issue isn't that they aren't making GBS threads out dozens of supplements for nerds to buy, it's that the existing products are bad.

I think if they want to stay in peoples minds and in conversations then releasing continuous content is probably the best way to do that. Making sure said content is good is also a great idea. But even if they released one stinker of a product, a later good release would redeem them somewhat. But the current WOTC isn't even trying. One guy going on Jury Duty completely derailed their entire content pipeline and they didn't care.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kurieg posted:

I think if they want to stay in peoples minds and in conversations then releasing continuous content is probably the best way to do that. Making sure said content is good is also a great idea. But even if they released one stinker of a product, a later good release would redeem them somewhat. But the current WOTC isn't even trying. One guy going on Jury Duty completely derailed their entire content pipeline and they didn't care.

My personal favourite was when the official D&D facebook page made an appearance in my feed:

You submitted your maddened Underdark NPCs and they were all awesome!
    We picked some of our favorite descriptions, added some art and included them in the latest of Dragon+ for everybody to use in their own adventures.

They're literally crowdsourcing this poo poo now :effort:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pffft, they aren't even statted. And there's a Flumph.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Dragon+ posted:

His right eye is stitched up and his right eye has three pupils.

:downs:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isn't that a naruto character?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I don't see the conflict. His right eye is so badass that it has three students, but is currently injured. The character is probably a warlock with that invocation that lets you detach body parts as a scout/kung-fu master.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Isn't that a naruto character?

Sort of? Some of the Eyeball craziness may look like multiple pupils but it's just a pattern on the eye. It's a common thing for people to rip out said eyeballs and implant them in place of their own to gain their power.

One guy decided that wasn't enough and replaced his entire loving arm so he could get 10 of them at once.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't see the conflict. His right eye is so badass that it has three students, but is currently injured. The character is probably a warlock with that invocation that lets you detach body parts as a scout/kung-fu master.

In the image it's his left eye that has the three pupils. How the gently caress does this get past copy-editing.

I know you're joking but I wanted to point it out to anyone who didn't look at the article (I don't blame them).

Edit: out of six characters, three of them are partially or fully blinded. Whoever did the picking has a hard-on for bad eyesight, I guess. Makes them ~mysterious~

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 18, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The flumph's entire thing is being a harmless, good-natured species of aberrations/lovecraftian subterranean monsters.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Dragon+ is amazing in how widely reviled I've found it to be. Again, even at ENWorld, there's been far more people against then for, and the people for typically have little else to claim other then "well, it's free!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's free because it's nothing but one gigantic advertisement.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gort posted:

Almost every negative review is a moron who points out that it doesn't play like 5e. This helps me appreciate how toxic the D&D fan base has become. "Game mechanics? In my video games?!?"

That and it further reinforces how worthless Steam reviews are.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Almost every negative review is a moron who points out that it doesn't play like 5e. This helps me appreciate how toxic the D&D fan base has become. "Game mechanics? In my video games?!?"

That and it further reinforces how worthless Steam reviews are.

So are you saying it's good or..?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Not going to go there yet, having not played it, but giving it a try this weekend.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kurieg posted:

Sort of? Some of the Eyeball craziness may look like multiple pupils but it's just a pattern on the eye. It's a common thing for people to rip out said eyeballs and implant them in place of their own to gain their power.

One guy decided that wasn't enough and replaced his entire loving arm so he could get 10 of them at once.

...Does that guy have a face on his shoulder?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The short answer is yes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mendrian posted:

It's not that good, although it would have been considered pretty good 10-15 years ago. It's really depressingly close to be a going good game, as the game has a lot of flexibility and developers work with the community to create content patches, but the core gameplay is extremely lackluster.

The player base seems pretty clannish, I got kicked from DM'd games on join like 6 or 7 times before giving up. Don't do the Dungeon Crawl mode, it's pointless with a 1st-level character.

Also, it actually mimics 5E very closely and essentially is only missing a couple of classes and races. People are literally upset because all of the powers use cooldowns and aren't dailies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah how can it capture D&D as an "experience" without a low-level sequence of horse-trading with the DM to get a rest after one fight, or at high-level where there's no bartering even needed when you're just casting Rope Trick or creating your own demiplane to sleep in.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's not that good, although it would have been considered pretty good 10-15 years ago. It's really depressingly close to be a going good game, as the game has a lot of flexibility and developers work with the community to create content patches, but the core gameplay is extremely lackluster.

The player base seems pretty clannish, I got kicked from DM'd games on join like 6 or 7 times before giving up. Don't do the Dungeon Crawl mode, it's pointless with a 1st-level character.

Also, it actually mimics 5E very closely and essentially is only missing a couple of classes and races. People are literally upset because all of the powers use cooldowns and aren't dailies.

It's not good period. The abilities and cooldowns are fine. But the game has this weird lagginess and executing abilities is so rear end-backwards that it makes playing a melee character really unfun. Maybe that's why some goons and I had a rough time starting at level 1 in Dungeon Crawl. Even so, the combat is really janky and I don't see how it can get much better in the story or DM run games.

If it was more turn based and not RTS, it might have been a neat psuedo-tabletop simulator, but oh well :shrug:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mewnie posted:

It's not good period. The abilities and cooldowns are fine. But the game has this weird lagginess and executing abilities is so rear end-backwards that it makes playing a melee character really unfun. Maybe that's why some goons and I had a rough time starting at level 1 in Dungeon Crawl. Even so, the combat is really janky and I don't see how it can get much better in the story or DM run games.

If it was more turn based and not RTS, it might have been a neat psuedo-tabletop simulator, but oh well :shrug:

Yeah I would call it NWN1 with Downs.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I think I'm going to regret posting this, but...

I used to play D&D 2e back in the 90s and enjoyed it immensely. Aside from computer games using D&D rulesets, I haven't played much (or any of the new editions) since then.

Recently, I've gotten some interest from some friends in giving D&D a shot, but none of them have any experience playing.

I've been looking online, and it seems that 4th edition is the most friendly to newcomers (everyone has a heal ability, no more magic users and clerics go from weaklings to demi-gods (forcing the DM lean on psionics or to invent new stuff like magic dampening gear for fighters), etc.).

My plan is to use the 4th edition ruleset and create a campaign in the old campaign settings I remember Forgotten Realms ->planescape.

Is this a good idea, or would you recommend something else? Keep in mind this will be their first tabletop rpg ever.

Help me out before I waste $30 on a set of .pdfs

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
Everyone in the subforum has a massive, raging hard-on for 4th edition so that's going to be the only suggestion you'll get here. It's definitely a fun game and is tied with the Basic rules for the most well-designed D&D edition. Don't already know if you looked there, but dndclassics.com is having a sale on at least 4E stuff. All you need to play is the Player's Handbook (can just get 1, or also 2 and 3 if you want more class options. doesn't really increase complexity), DMG, and the Monster Vault (with the owlbear on front. The normal Monster Manuals have kinda wonky math.) Page 42 in the DMG has everything you need to make up rulings on the fly (what DC should this be? How much damage should this cool action do?), and http://blogofholding.com/?p=512 has technically all that you need to make any custom monster. My first and only 4E campaign was a kinda post-apocalyptic sci-fi campaign with people who have only ever played 3E before and we all had an awesome time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Definitely run a game in Planescape, it is rad. Maybe also consider 13th Age, or if it's too narrative for your tastes, you can always transplant Backgrounds in place of 4e skills, and sew on Icon Relationships for stuff like Faction membership, or One Unique Thing.

I don't really know much wrt books/pdfs, but before putting down serious money for them consider trying a month or so's subscription to D&D insider, it's like $5-10 and gives you access to searchable bestiary with statblocks, character builder, some other cool stuff I forget. Playing around with and reading through those can give you a pretty close idea of what it'd be like to run a game in 4e. The character builder even comes with auto-build options iirc, and basics of how to actually play each class/role, though not quite as detailed as in the actual corebooks ofc.
Plus then if you actually decide to run a game, your players can very easily use the character builder (so long as you don't mind sharing the account details), though I think only one instance can be open at a time so you'd have to export the sheets. I think it can do that pretty nicely though? And it serves as a central repository for sheets, so you can easily print off another if you lose them or someone forgets theirs.