Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was just going based on the results of a bunch of google searches that had people with links between the two (common board members etc), and one page that showed that one owned the other. Could be misinformation or a coincidence.

E: And a director's report from 2013.

It does seem like there's a link, it's presumably part of their tax avoidance structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Wasn't someone proposing that we bypass all the corporate tax avoidance structures entirely and just tax the gently caress out of shareholder earnings through dividends and capital gains? Probably would be a lot easier to monitor.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So has NSW addressed the issue of insurance when they legalised Uber? Or just going to wait until the first big crash and let the driver and his insurance company fight it out in court?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gay picnic defence posted:

Wasn't someone proposing that we bypass all the corporate tax avoidance structures entirely and just tax the gently caress out of shareholder earnings through dividends and capital gains? Probably would be a lot easier to monitor.
Not sure on treasury modelling but this doesn't work well when all the shareholders lodge their income tax in another country.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

So has NSW addressed the issue of insurance when they legalised Uber? Or just going to wait until the first big crash and let the driver and his insurance company fight it out in court?

Vaguely related: we bought car insurance yesterday and there was a "are you using the vehicle for ridesharing?" option in the form.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is it legalised over there now? I hadn't heard. The taxi industry must be making GBS threads itself.

I heard on the news today a taxi refused to pick up a veteran with PTSD because he had an assistance dog with him. The sooner they're driven into the ground or forced to make significant changes to the way they operate the better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is it legalised over there now? I hadn't heard. The taxi industry must be making GBS threads itself.
The announcement was made today.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I wonder whether a lot of drivers will jump ship instead of renewing their taxi registration.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Looks like Abetz isn't happy with the QANDA review

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I heard on the news today a taxi refused to pick up a veteran with PTSD because he had an assistance dog with him. The sooner they're driven into the ground or forced to make significant changes to the way they operate the better.

I wish I had known PTSD assistance dogs were a thing 18 months ago. Jesus they sound amazing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There's a big rear end compensation deal for the taxi industry along with the uber legalisation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Birb Katter posted:

tl;dr: NUH-UH

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

That's not what a protection racket is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nah it's like they're protecting something with a racket see? Lot's of holes in their defence isn't it?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

open24hours posted:

That's not what a protection racket is.

I wonder if he thinks tax avoidance by our richest companies being protected by the political elite is a protection racket or not.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm pretty happy that the liberals are going with a full throated defence of companies earning billions of dollars and paying zero tax.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The old "give us more money or we'll invite left-wing panelists onto our shows" racket.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

I'm genuinely interested in what the world looks like through people like Abetz's eyes. Like, how does someone go through life so completely oblivious to so much blindingly obvious stuff? I can't really get my head around it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm pretty happy that the liberals are going with a full throated defence of companies earning billions of dollars and paying zero tax.

If we cut company tax then fewer companies would try and avoid it. It's simple economics mate.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I'm genuinely interested in what the world looks like through people like Abetz's eyes. Like, how does someone go through life so completely oblivious to so much blindingly obvious stuff? I can't really get my head around it.

He's an idiot who doesn't understand simple words and concepts.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

He's an idiot who doesn't understand simple words and concepts. LNP senator.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
So ... Border Force is operaring out of a Chinese owned port in Darwin now?

Kinda hope they get so lovely about our legging up US posturing they disseminate every detail about ON. WATER. MATTERS.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

That's a date, Eric, because I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh at your pathetic mewling about a show you're too gutless to front and enjoy the spectacle of how we spend the little we get from corporate tax on a waste of space only allowed to make a scene about the ABC because he can't be trusted with anything serious.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If we cut company tax then fewer companies would try and avoid it. It's simple economics mate.

Given that there are companies only willing to pay 2% tax, I wonder if the neo-liberals who subscribe to this theory think this would be an acceptable tax rate.

Company tax will now be like that Radiohead album, just pay what you feel like.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I subscribe Geoffrey Cousins turnover tax idea - charge all companies a low percentage of turnover as opposed to profit.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Now that they aren't paying tax, they need to make sure the government legislates to make sure they don't have to pay tax lawyers either.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-visits-pub-where-100-greens-celebrate-christmas-party-20151216-gloopb.html

quote:

Tony Abbott and 100 Greens walk into a bar.

Come up with your own punchlines, because this isn't the start of a joke.

Fresh from writing angry letters to the editor, the former prime minister has stepped out for a drink with friends and found himself in the middle of a Christmas party hosted by none other than his political opposites.

Dressed in a smart casual suit and open shirt combo, Mr Abbott stayed for about four hours at the Alexandria Hotel in Sydney's inner west, enjoying a steak and chips with salad as well as a wheat beer and some red wine later.

One partygoer, Jarah Crook, told Fairfax Media "it was weird" to see the conservative torch-bearer in Greens heartland.

"A couple of our MPs were there and they had no idea that Tony would rock up, let alone that Tony would have no idea who they were.

"He also made the rookie mistake of mixing beer and wine."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3360748/Kangaroo-gets-bounce-bargained-trampoline.html#v-8428572135612726714

Australian_Voters.avi

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is it, Tony Abbott has gone full post-modern and is scrambling the text.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

You found this through the daily mail? You need a better internet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You heard it here - Abbott has had a political "Road to Damascus" and is now a Greenie

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Abetz is such a whinger. Whinge whinge whinge.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What is it with rightwingers chucking tantrums about opposing viewpoints?

Like, I doubt anybody here is a fan of the Bolt Report, but do we wage consistent campaigns to try to get it off air? If I were to say it should be pulled from air it's because Bolt is populist, not because he's conservative.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't think you'd have to look too hard to find someone nominally left who'd like to see Bolt pulled off the air.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If global warming is real why is it so cold today.

Wait I mean.

Help. Dying.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

If global warming is real why is it so cold today.

Wait I mean.

Help. Dying.

RIP. In unrelated news, our office AC seems to be struggling. Normally it's *too* efficient and thus cold. :qq:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

oTHi posted:

RIP. In unrelated news, our office AC seems to be struggling. Normally it's *too* efficient and thus cold. :qq:

Our office is ridiculously designed so the air conditioning sensor is right near the windows that get sun all day, so that end is 30° since it bakes all day and the other end where I sit is freezing all day and I need to wear a jumper.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
The Guardian has a great little slider to show you how many companies in the transparency report you pay more tax than.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Someone post the Bill Leak article written by him on who the real racists are please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Someone post the Bill Leak article written by him on who the real racists are please.

hint: it's you

• Locked thread