Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Section Z posted:

Because of how many people think tedium = immersion = I'm hardcore at videogames

Shitloads of mandatory tedium before getting to anything cool and fun is the design philosophy behind roughly 99.9% of minecraft mods and those are explosively insanely popular, so I guess tiy decided he needed to tap into that vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
While the pacing isnt gently caress slow as it used to be, non-insta smelting is still poo poo

Starbound is getting a good Chucklefisting it seems.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Kanos posted:

Shitloads of mandatory tedium before getting to anything cool and fun is the design philosophy behind roughly 99.9% of minecraft mods and those are explosively insanely popular, so I guess tiy decided he needed to tap into that vein.

to be fair, playing minecraft for more than like a week requires at least a mild form of autism.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Lol they returned smelting back to how it was when the game first hit early access.

I'd like to joke that the final starbound release will just be the whole game rolled back to the very first EA version, but we all know it will be worse.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Bilal posted:

Lol they returned smelting back to how it was when the game first hit early access.

I'd like to joke that the final starbound release will just be the whole game rolled back to the very first EA version, but we all know it will be worse.

oddium posted:

if you had someone who'd never heard of starbound sit down and play the very first original release and also had them play the most up-to-date release i seriously doubt they could tell which one came out three years after the other

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Haha it looks like that smelting menu takes up the entire screen, and I'm gonna guess you can't do much of anything else because it's tied down to a physical location too?

They also had this exciting feature in :ughh:Archeage:ughh:, where you got to wait a full half an hour to saw a pile of logs or whatever, even though there was literally no in game balance reason for it.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

so when's the mod to fix that coming out

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/nightly-cheerful-giraffe-fastcraft.3263/

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Summer 2016, Excited Frog Update:

- Tweaked fall damage so it now happens earlier and is more severe
- Greatly reduced the amount of ore on the surface level
- Survival Tech now needs recources (Oxygen, Fuel, Coolant, Vodka) in order to function
- Added more dungeons we had great fun building together!
- Disabled ship upgrading for now due to some issues with tweaked fall damage

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Baller Time posted:

Summer 2016, :jiggled: Update:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

My favorite part of Starbound is seeing how cool people unfuck the lovely systems by making cool person mods.
Like this one! Which is very cool. Why the gently caress are we using hoes and watering cans in space, anyway, this sort of thing should be standard issue.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Come play Benjamin Button the Game, where we unmake the game until it's a tabletop pencil & paper RPG.

It will still have damage on touch.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Baller Time posted:

SummerWinter 2016, Excited Frog Update:

- Tweaked fall damage so it now happens earlier and is more severe
- Greatly reduced the amount of ore on the surface level
- Survival Tech now needs recources (Oxygen, Fuel, Coolant, Vodka) in order to function
- Added more dungeons we had great fun building together!
- Disabled ship upgrading for now due to some issues with tweaked fall damage

Seemed a little too optimistic for such a major patch.

Also expected:
- Planted trees and crops now grow in real-time!
- Touch damages radius of aggressive enemies expanded!
- Disabled backwards walking entirely!
- Jumping now only reaches around half the height it used to; this is to prepare the system for an exciting new jump tech upgrade path in the next patch!
- Enabled permadeath system!
Known issues:
- Minor bug where firing a gun causes character death.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Why the gently caress does Chucklefish want every scrub-tier enemy to fight like a dark souls boss in their sandbox space-exploration game? Not to mention that it isn't even dark souls-esque.

Yes, I want to go out and do some tedious mining with my worse-than-a-shovel techno-wonder-digger, and be interrupted every minute by a little green sheepfrog who will drop on top of me and take out large portions of my health by occupying the same space as me. Him being in the same space as me of course means that my sword will not be able to hit him, as the sword only swings in front. And guns will not work either. I must dig, suffer, and beam down again to continue where my struggles last left me. I continue to do this until I dig deep enough to dig up 20 things very slowly.

Only then can I explore space in this space exploration game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
enemy hitboxes that clipped past your shield's block hitbox doing damage is a feature, not a bug

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is there a mod for a "weapon" that activates touch damage for your character when you hold down the fire button?

I'm really fascinated by the concept of "Let's see how YOU like it!" weapons for your player where you use all those attacks enemies have talked up so much as fair and balanced challenge against them.

Using the blood spit a bone bird has must be fair because why would a randomly generated non boss enemy have such a thing if it wasn't balanced right? It surely won't snap the game's difficulty over my knee.

EDIT: While I'm wishlisting can I have a Bone Bird mod where you play as an actual bone bird and just fly around upgrading your spit attacks with branching paths to spread blood and beak missiles? It's fair because you fly slower backwards.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 16, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Section Z posted:

It's fair because you fly slower backwards.

Still have it better than real life birds.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like they should invest a bit of their money in hiring professional project managers and developers.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I think only a Les Grossman type manager would be able to unfuck this mess.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

tiy

tiy

tiy

listen to me

stop worrying about balance

you were making a sandbox video game

make a sandbox game

give people toys and stuff to use in the sandbox game

you dont need to pad your sandbox game with stuff like 'make 1 bar at a time'

You are the bestest poster on SA.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
A mod that disabled dev mode for chucklefish might be good hmm

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ahundredbux posted:

A mod that disabled dev mode for chucklefish might be good hmm

As would making Tiy Facecam Stream a vanilla Normal gameplay fresh start for six hours.

Show how much the Dev loves their game, AND how great their game is at the same time!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I would pay real-life moneydollars to see that happen. No godmode, no spawning things in, just the hole of a game they've dug for themself. At minimum, it would be five solid hours of tedium and dying repeatedly before they even made it off the planet. Probably longer.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

grimcreaper posted:

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009

quote:

I mean, at this point, I'm only checking this thread for more of these. I would read a whole thread of them.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Face Melter posted:

I mean, at this point, I'm only checking this thread for more of these. I would read a whole thread of them.

:yeah:

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I just started this game up again and was all excited, then I came and read this thread.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

jerkstore77 posted:

I just started this game up again and was all excited, then I came and read this thread.

You're welcome

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

no, you are

friend

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i keep up with this thread for information about starbound

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.playstarbound.com

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can we in theory get a mod where the various S.A.I.L character pics are replaced by forum avatars from this thread?

I want Afraid of Audio's avatar to pop up, head shaking, and offer disparaging remarks about anything going on at the time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

don't replace the Install Wizard. he's good

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Dandywalken posted:

Can we in theory get a mod where the various S.A.I.L character pics are replaced by forum avatars from this thread?

I want Afraid of Audio's avatar to pop up, head shaking, and offer disparaging remarks about anything going on at the time.

Not emptyquoting

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

i wish i could play Star Bound...

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Can I still get the horse AI? More importantly is there a mod to give it back its knockers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man Whore posted:

Can I still get the horse AI? More importantly is there a mod to give it back its knockers.

the titties version is still i the game's files, nothing is using it though

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You're the finest there is, or ever will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

god bless this gay thread

• Locked thread