Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DiHK posted:

I'm no math pro or anything but isn't 4 Madcats 300 tons?

Sure, if you use dirty Inner Sphere math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zaodai posted:

Sure, if you use dirty Inner Sphere math.

DERP DERP DERP

yeah uhhhhh

ignore my badness

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't know why I'm the dirty one, clans are the ones breaking game balance with their -1 slots and -1/3 weight.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
So, uh how are titles on the MWO forums set?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wales Grey posted:

So, uh how are titles on the MWO forums set?

Accept your shame.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I just tried the storm crow... normally I hate clans but ripping apart people was just fun

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I think I will play some robots today

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Jack2142 posted:

I just tried the storm crow... normally I hate clans but ripping apart people was just fun

There is basically no bad way to build one. Go hog wild.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Anticheese posted:

There is basically no bad way to build one. Go hog wild.

Challenge Accepted.

:smuggo:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Tonnage maxed, failed. Also no flamers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nickiepoo posted:

Tonnage maxed, failed. Also no flamers.

No armor.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

UAC20 SCR http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=bbb59c4b92a8c980c75a65754c3fa66f88f80d98

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Please stop posting viable mech builds.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
After two nights pubbing I got on the goon mumble and much fun was had. Thanks Anita.

The trial mech kingcrab is an absolute beast, provided you can get into a good position with it. I want to buy my very own but grinding up cbills or whatever is so slow.

I bought the spl firestarter in the op with my tutorial and achievement money, but a light without ecm seems pretty useless, particularly when stomping around with goons.

Is there a way to fit out a mech in game without buying it first so you can at least plan your purchase without having to alt-tab. Also I need to give pgi credit, I have never come across a user interface that actively induces a headache during. This one does almost immediately.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Is there a way to fit out a mech in game without buying it first so you can at least plan your purchase without having to alt-tab. Also I need to give pgi credit, I have never come across a user interface that actively induces a headache during. This one does almost immediately.

Yeah, in the store there's a little 'view in mechlab' button on the bottom-right info panel for each mech that lets you futz around with it in the mechlab, see what sort of builds you can kit out on it or whatever. It's actually my favorite part of the store interface (because it's the only good part :lol: )

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
So our 12 man team with 7 urbies just demolished a team. Amazingly fun.

e: we just did it again. Holy poo poo.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 18, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Baudin posted:

So our 12 man team with 7 urbies just demolished a team. Amazingly fun.

e: we just did it again. Holy poo poo.

Well obviously, what did you think would happen with the amazing bastion of technology that is the Urbanmech on your side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0 (Always a classic)

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm trying this game out, mostly due to boredom and a little interest in the Battletech universe. It's pretty good, I was afraid I would be overwhelmed by the gameplay but I can at least hold my own against other Bads and usually end up in the upper half of my team in damage and score so far. What's hard is trying to figure out whats going on in the garage. All the different mech variants like TDR-5L and HGN-333 and whatever might as well be hieroglyphics, and all the menus are pretty hard to navigate for someone new. Based on less than 20 games with the starter mechs I like the Stormcrow and the Kingcrab the most so far, since those are the mechs I've done the best in the couple of games I've played them each. I will have to get my head around buying and building one though since I feel too new to make a decision right now. Also I have no idea what to spend exp on.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Should I buy a Stalker so I can finally Elite them, or keep saving for a Timberwolf?

Also, I switched my Marmoset from dual gauss to Triple AC/5 today, and it's pretty baller. How much ammo do people usually take? I've got 330 rounds, since the first drop I brought 150 and ran dry before the match was over.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The main thing to pay attention to in the garabe is the right side panel. It'll tell you the load out, the hardpoints, etc. If there are specific questions you have about some of the words, just ask, we'll help.

The variant names come from the canon and will mean something to you if you learn their slot layouts and stuff, but if you don't know them just keep in mind that different varaints have different slot organization, and that's all you really need to know.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Hows the grasshopper? Kinda itching to work up some heavies and the black knight will be around for c-bills next month.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 18, 2015

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Devorum posted:

Should I buy a Stalker so I can finally Elite them, or keep saving for a Timberwolf?

Also, I switched my Marmoset from dual gauss to Triple AC/5 today, and it's pretty baller. How much ammo do people usually take? I've got 330 rounds, since the first drop I brought 150 and ran dry before the match was over.

I love my wubstep Stalker, so many lasers.
Is the Black Knight worth bothering with, or should I just stick with my dongmech?
I currently have my founders Atlas plus three other Atlases, my Stalker, a Cataphract, and the AH Centurion.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 18, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Drakes posted:

Hows the grasshopper? Kinda itching to work up some heavies and the black knight will be around for c-bills next month.

It's a laserboat that has jump jets and is too big. The Black Knight is basically a cooler looking Grasshopper. Don't buy with the expectation to SRM hell someone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

It's a laserboat that has jump jets and is too big. The Black Knight is basically a cooler looking Grasshopper. Don't buy with the expectation to SRM hell someone.

This but I'll add all you need to know:

It's taller and wider than an Awesome and it's a 70 ton heavy. Yeah.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
75 tons for the Black Knight.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Grasshopper is 70 tons though.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Grasshoppers get that tanky weird hitbox thing that shadowhawks get and you mostly die to CT so they are xl ok.

2LPL 4ML is what I use.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I can't wait to have you guys poo poo on one of my favorite mechs, but I finally ground up the coin to acquire and pimp out an Ebon Jaguar Cauldron Born the way I wanted to and it's been wrecking face in pub games. :3:

Pair of Ultra AC10s, pair of CSRM6, and a medium pulse laser (because I had some extra tonnage and the ranges synergize well with the UAC10s). The last game was on Viridian Bog (gently caress that map) and I pushed through a flank into their base and started capping it. They just sent mediums and lights back to duel me piecemeal. By the end I was down to like 20% of my AC ammo and a little more than that for the SRMs, but we won handily. So much fun.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:confused: Cauldron born is good though.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

A friendly reminder to all prospective light mech pilots: Do not run face-first into an Atlas, and ESPECIALLY don't do that one at a time when you and your two friends are so busy wolf-packing a Marauder that you don't see the 50 foot tall skull man. Double LBX10's confirmed super good at making light mechs dead. I may need to drop another heat sink for another ton of ammo though, 35 trigger pulls isn't quite enough when there's a lot to shoot at. I wish this match wasn't an extreme outlier and that I was always good at robots :(

I also need to play with goons instead of pub dropping but I feel like an rear end in a top hat because I basically don't own things that aren't assault mechs; that on top of just being awful make me a huge waste of tonnage. Maybe once I get that Timberwolf I'll be the pretty mech princess I've always wanted to be.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Remembered how awesome my Cicada was... 2 ER LL plinking away at people adds up to 500+ damage games and hilarious harassment. I don't get as many kills but its drat satisfying sneaking and sniping away.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I have been getting absolutely hosed all night in the solo queue and it is making me rage. I am trying to basic out three EBJ variants, and I was using a triple UAC/5 build. Worked great for group play but it is a baaaaaaad loving idea to try and take that into pug matches. The game still rewards cowardice to a ridiculous degree in unorganized play. It's a mid-range build and you can't close because nobody will push. Everyone wants to sit in the back and rain lurms, so the 3 or 4 line mechs get ripped up. 10 drops tonight and every one was spent sitting with my team while they played peek-and-poke until enough were dead that the enemy rushed and overwhelmed me in seconds, or getting bored and attempting to flank only to find nobody supporting, and getting overwhelmed in seconds. I think I'm going back to light mechs, at least there I can run the gently caress away when the pug nerves fail.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If it helps, understand most pubbie heavies/assaults are not going faster than 60kph. If you're running forward in a 90kph heavy you're basically not going to get support because they can't keep up.

Also cauldron borns are murder machines because of their pod space, their actual armor is nothing special since they're just 65 ton heavies. You're basically jaegermech grade tough.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Conquest is generally my preferred mode when solo queueing, falling behind on points usually forces one side to push on.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DancingShade posted:

If it helps, understand most pubbie heavies/assaults are not going faster than 60kph. If you're running forward in a 90-100kph heavy you're basically not going to get support because they can't keep up.

Yeah, but they also tend to roll up so they are maximum weapon range away from the midpoint of the map, then camp in a big blog behind a single piece of cover, cartoon style. At least down in tier 4, nobody is going to push up because OH NO, MISSILE WARNING.

I've started dealing with it by positioning myself on one flank, where inevitably someone will get fed up and try and push against you, if you can pick up a kill or two advantage on the scoreboard, the pubbies will suddenly think the game is won and charge forward. Then you ride the wave in.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
I remember disliking conquest a lot years back, but now with the larger maps and number of players, combined with the usual pub-match cowardice, it's nice to have a game mode that essentially forces a fight. Assault used to on the smaller maps, but the payout for just rolling in for a cap victory were a lot higher too. I was in a game a bit ago where we basically won without conflict by just bee lining for the enemy base and the only reason I cleared 50k C-bills was because I was getting that sweet Founders mech bonus. It's kind of depressing how lovely C-bill payouts have gotten (besides the odd match like the one I posted a bit ago where the payout kissed 300k without premium). I don't know how people without C-bill boosting mechs loving stand it; at least that legendary founders pack was good for something besides crushing disappointment.

That may be slightly unfair, this game is in a MUCH better place than it was six months ago. Community warfare is still a giant steaming turd though, fuuuuuck that noise.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I have been getting absolutely hosed all night in the solo queue and it is making me rage.

Play with goons

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Community warfare is.. hmm, I want to say "ok" but the wait times are not something I can stand. I'd far rather do a quick match with or without team mates.

Also nobody wants to see 12 identical stormcrows coming around the corner. Nobody.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Skoll posted:

Play with goons

Normally I would but we had a star wars premiere to go to and I didn't want to bail when company finally showed up. But yeah, definitely in the future.

DancingShade posted:

If it helps, understand most pubbie heavies/assaults are not going faster than 60kph. If you're running forward in a 90kph heavy you're basically not going to get support because they can't keep up.

Also cauldron borns are murder machines because of their pod space, their actual armor is nothing special since they're just 65 ton heavies. You're basically jaegermech grade tough.

Oh I know. I know it's fragile. The UAC/5 build requires so much facetime, the EBJ is (apparently) a pretty high priority target for people, and it just can't tank hits. You need other heavies in there screening for you. But if they're all in LRM boats sitting in the back field, or Atlas pilots who can't seem to master the mysterious intricacies of turning to face threats, what can you do? What I did was switch to a peek-and-poke LPL and Gauss combo. It's boring but my first game out I did 800 damage and got 5 kills, no teammates needed. The meta is what it is, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

SoftNum posted:

That is a weird looking centaur you drew there.

So to avoid douplepost: I think people have been dropping with me and know but I'm running around in a streakcrow right now, and I seem to be.. bad? I don't seem to churn out damage like people say it should? It seems to take forever to get locked on, relative to the time someone is in my reticule, and I don't get many salvos off. Should I be going for different targets? I feel like I'm missing something (apart from just being generally bad and still learning the maps).

As previously mentioned make sure you have a Clan Active Probe equipped. Also swap your head Omnipod to the SCR-A (I think it's the A, whichever has the energy slot) and equip a TAG as well. It makes a HUGE difference as overlapping ECM happens often.

(TAG is basically a lock on laser you should hold down at all times.)

• Locked thread