Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm okay with just forgetting the last chapter exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That would be absolutely fine

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Still, you'd think bringing up her recent shoulder injury would make Allison a little somber. Lot's of property damage happened and the bad guy got away but it's ok we can totally have a bro moment while Mary is off killing more people.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Please let's not look a gift lovely writing horse in the mouth.

We're done with the last chapter, let's keep it that way. Please?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
All of the plot elements introduced in the last chapter will come up again, guaranteed. I would be absolutely shocked if they were done with Furnace. That said, I'm glad we're on other things for now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

idonotlikepeas posted:

All of the plot elements introduced in the last chapter will come up again, guaranteed. I would be absolutely shocked if they were done with Furnace. That said, I'm glad we're on other things for now.

Heck, this page is already bringing up the flying and the independent study.

Although I'm not sure why she's writing her independent study proposal like it's her diary.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Alison is not good at academic writing.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
she did spend her high school classes punching supervillains rather than doing AP essays

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Did the US government inform her professors that they were glorified babysitters responsible for keeping an eye on her while feeding her ego?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that's just the Mega Girl lyfe

gently caress the haters

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

pseudorandom name posted:

Did the US government inform her professors that they were glorified babysitters responsible for keeping an eye on her while feeding her ego?

The world governments' plans for Allison potentially going rogue/beserk basically amounts to "Pray she doesn't".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well he's confirmed dead by the news now so if he's back and running around. Someone lied to Fox news or the theory that he's become some sort of sentient fire is true.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A year seems pretty reasonable. Most people spend way longer than Hercules did to attone for murdering their entire family.

This whole "misinterpreting myths so you can make fun of them for being backwards and primitive" schtick is dumb.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man, it is super nice to have Allison live up to the title again and get control of her life after how aimless and reactionary she was in the previous chapter. Nice to see her finally take charge of her life.

That said, get a tutor girl. Overly informal prose like that is a fast-track to D-town. C minus if you're lucky. :colbert:

(God, STEM types that consider themselves better than the humanities are the absolute loving worst. I know Paladin is supposed to be espousing the virtues of hard work where reward seems impossible but she just sort of doesn't get people and why stories are important. Maybe that's intentional, after all she simply can't recreate human intelligence).

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SlothfulCobra posted:

A year seems pretty reasonable. Most people spend way longer than Hercules did to attone for murdering their entire family.

This whole "misinterpreting myths so you can make fun of them for being backwards and primitive" schtick is dumb.

I don't think that's what she's getting at. What she's saying is that the scut-work element of the trial - sitting down and chasing a single loving deer for an entire loving year - get underemphasized in the myth because it makes for a boring story. But if you want to catch that deer, you have to put in the scutwork. Ugly, boring, tedious, unglamorous work is a necessary and under-valorized component of heroism.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Man, "homey" and "punk-rear end storyteller" read WAY out of character for Paladin.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Lizard Wizard posted:

Man, "homey" and "punk-rear end storyteller" read WAY out of character for Paladin.

Tell us more about your history writing publications of the character Paladin

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just kinda jarring to me. :shrug:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Actually that is just a year for that one task. He had to do 12 of them. Also timelines in myths are hosed up to hell, especially for Hercules but timelines aren't as fun to talk about anyways. Hercules is actually an interesting character, he's basically the greek version of Goku (if Goku also had anger management problems). Like a typical hercules story goes like, dude invites himself to a king's fancy dinner, eats everything and is generally rude and obnoxious. Then he finds out that the king's wife had died the night before and feels guilty. So he decides to fix it by seeking out the personification of death and wrestles him into the ground until he cries uncle and lets her return to her family.

Dude murdered his own family in a fit of rage but unfortunately most Greek heroes end up doing really horrible poo poo like that. It's pretty much a recurring theme in Greek myths that everyone is hosed up and pretty awful in one way or another, gods and mortals alike.

But yeah, Paladin sounds just like anyone else who likes to read old myths and stories. I don't see how shes acting as being weird or inconsistent with how shes been portrayed before. People have different facets to them and just cause shes an engineer doesn't mean shes not allowed to have other interests. I don't see how she is being dismissive about the stories or the humanities either. I knew a classics grad student who talked about the stories in his thesis work (basically stories about teenage rear end in a top hat Jesus) in a pretty similar way.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 19, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It feels like my life is starting to take shape ... finally.

*CONTINUING COVERAGE OF THE MURDER OF UNPOPULAR MALE JERK GUY FURNACE WHO WAS A BIG SHITHEAD*

Muahahaha yes, finally :twisted:

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just read it as her starting to relax and act more casually around Allison. Everyone's "hanging out with a bud" way of talking is different from their "public face" talking.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Actually that is just a year for that one task. He had to do 12 of them. Also timelines in myths are hosed up to hell, especially for Hercules but timelines aren't as fun to talk about anyways. Hercules is actually an interesting character, he's basically the greek version of Goku (if Goku also had anger management problems). Like a typical hercules story goes like, dude invites himself to a king's fancy dinner, eats everything and is generally rude and obnoxious. Then he finds out that the king's wife had died the night before and feels guilty. So he decides to fix it by seeking out the personification of death and wrestles him into the ground until he cries uncle and lets her return to her family.

Dude murdered his own family in a fit of rage but unfortunately most Greek heroes end up doing really horrible poo poo like that. It's pretty much a recurring theme in Greek myths that everyone is hosed up and pretty awful in one way or another, gods and mortals alike.

But yeah, Paladin sounds just like anyone else who likes to read old myths and stories. I don't see how shes acting as being weird or inconsistent with how shes been portrayed before. People have different facets to them and just cause shes an engineer doesn't mean shes not allowed to have other interests. I don't see how she is being dismissive about the stories or the humanities either. I knew a classics grad student who talked about the stories in his thesis work (basically stories about teenage rear end in a top hat Jesus) in a pretty similar way.

Nah, Hercules is more like Wolverine in that he's sort of a cool fun dude to be around sometimes, but every so often he just goes into a horrible uncontrollable homicidal rage. Even aside from the one big time he's famous for. Dude was ditched by the Argonauts when he went crazy, and one time he sacked all of troy because the king cheaped out on payment. For all the good his strength and combat prowess is, it just keeps getting him into more trouble. Marvel has a really good take on Hercules, he's just a big strong jerk idiot who loves fighting but at least means well. Gastrophobia also does some great riffing off of Hercules's myths. Also there was that one time when Hercules just [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nio#Hellenistic_influence]popped up in japan somehow/url], just like Woverine.

But yeah, Paladin's "thing" is giving out her own specific takes on myths that miss the point. Like that mural about how John Henry should've just been glad about the white man replacing him with a machine and embraced progress, or the one with people harvesting apples from the tree of knowledge. This is the first time that she used vernacular though. Of course, this bit is like that lovely paper Alison wrote at the beginning of the last chapter, only this time I think it's lampshading their use of a timeskip/montage. They're weakly drawing parallels to Greek mythology, and I keep getting hung up on how much I enjoy mythology compared to this.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Well he's confirmed dead by the news now so if he's back and running around. Someone lied to Fox news or the theory that he's become some sort of sentient fire is true.

I meant more "done with him as a character". Not done with him in the sense of him not being dead. Like, his life and what happened to him will continue to have some kind of impact.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

(God, STEM types that consider themselves better than the humanities are the absolute loving worst. I know Paladin is supposed to be espousing the virtues of hard work where reward seems impossible but she just sort of doesn't get people and why stories are important. Maybe that's intentional, after all she simply can't recreate human intelligence).

I think you're on to something here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Y'know I don't mind that the comic has actual pathos in it and I think the cancer dad sub plot is pretty grounding and touching and well-done, but you had a giant chunk of story arc regarding the application of Feral's super regeneration thing and while maybe "cure everyone's cancer" isn't one of the particular applications, it seems like it would occur to one of the characters to talk about that a little bit :shrug:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

They could mention it (and they might), but her regeneration is definitely not something that would help here in most serious cases. The problem with cancer is that it tends to ship cells all over the body, which is why they use radiation and poisonous chemicals to try to wipe them all out instead of just surgery. I expect Chemotherapy Man was one of the world-changing heroes that got murdered early along with Talk To Viruses Girl.

Also, today's page is really good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

Y'know I don't mind that the comic has actual pathos in it and I think the cancer dad sub plot is pretty grounding and touching and well-done, but you had a giant chunk of story arc regarding the application of Feral's super regeneration thing and while maybe "cure everyone's cancer" isn't one of the particular applications, it seems like it would occur to one of the characters to talk about that a little bit :shrug:

Yeah, there's that thing with Feral, and Pintsize's whole Fantastic Voyage thing, so I figure that between both these things, Allison could get her dad's cancer cured if she actually wanted to.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Nah, they mentioned that right when we first found out:

Individually cleaning out cancer cells with a tiny laser would be basically impossible. Even assuming he could physically locate them all, they might literally reproduce faster than he could wipe them out that way.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 25, 2015

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea cancer is a bit more complicated than "blow up all the cells in that tumor, then it'll stop spreading, then it's cured!"

Some cancers are stupid babytime cancers with like a 98% survival rating if treated in time, but pancreatic cancer is deadly specifically because people very rarely know that they have it before it reaches the late stages at which pretty much any cancer has a 5-year survival rate of about 5% or so.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I mean, it's also a work of fiction, so let's not pretend that cancer is being used as anything but a death sentence.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't have an issue with it being incurable, like you say it's a work of fiction, but it does seem to me like a good time to remind the reader of this rather cool poo poo in Feral's arc (and also to help us forget the last chapter)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I mean, it's also a work of fiction, so let's not pretend that cancer is being used as anything but a death sentence.

It also might be a source of temptation at some point. Having her dad have a terminal illness could put terrible pressure on Alison if someone could come up with a means to cure it and wanted her to do something in return. Right now, though, it's just being used as a way of reinforcing one of the comic's main themes: even superpowers can't fix every problem.

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't have an issue with it being incurable, like you say it's a work of fiction, but it does seem to me like a good time to remind the reader of this rather cool poo poo in Feral's arc (and also to help us forget the last chapter)

I wouldn't mind them reminding us of all that, no. It might bring up Cleaver, too, since he's basically made out of cancer.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

It also might be a source of temptation at some point. Having her dad have a terminal illness could put terrible pressure on Alison if someone could come up with a means to cure it and wanted her to do something in return. Right now, though, it's just being used as a way of reinforcing one of the comic's main themes: even superpowers can't fix every problem.

The temptation would probably be the fact that there's absolutely no constraint on her behavior and she knows a guy who can read minds, not to do whatever favor they ask.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
This is the part where the guy's neck snaps from the whiplash, right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Piell posted:

This is the part where the guy's neck snaps from the whiplash, right?

It would make sense, after all the "we got this", to have her fail at rescuing someone.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Come on Alison, ask him out. Ins with hunks like these don't happen every day you know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's got Patrick's cheekbones.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SlothfulCobra posted:

He's got Patrick's cheekbones.

Homegirl has a type.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Homegirl has a type.

Is this guy also going to turn out to be an emotionally distant, mass manipulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Of the various things I expected from this comic, a heterosexual courtship was not really one of them but okay.

• Locked thread