Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The crew found another use for Caesar this chapter: buoyancy to lift them up to Zou. I love that they keep using him as a tool against his will. Penance for being such a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shoren posted:

The crew found another use for Caesar this chapter: buoyancy to lift them up to Zou. I love that they keep using him as a tool against his will. Penance for being such a jerk.

They already used him for that to get to Green Bit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I approve of the Baratie's upgrade.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The non-Pattie guy is Carne.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shoren posted:

I don't know why he puts up with it, but as it stands it is almost setting up for some Stockholm Syndrome where Caesar begins to actually like the Strawhats and eventually chooses to chum around with them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't know why he puts up with it, but as it stands it is almost setting up for some Stockholm Syndrome where Caesar begins to actually like the Strawhats and eventually chooses to chum around with them.

Would they even let him chum around with them, after everything he's done?

Weirdly enough, precedent suggests the answer might be yes. Remember when Mr. 2, disguised as Cobra, ordered the shooting of civilians? Remember Suleiman, who was explicitly a notorious war criminal, joining the Straw Hat Grand Fleet under Cavendish? Remember when Hancock petrified her underlings and only turned them back because she was in love with Luffy? Even Law had a "nasty reputation" according to Apoo, as did Bartolomeo according to the Colosseum announcer, though it neither case is there explicit evidence that the reputation was earned.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Silver2195 posted:

Weirdly enough, precedent suggests the answer might be yes. Remember when Mr. 2, disguised as Cobra, ordered the shooting of civilians? Remember Suleiman, who was explicitly a notorious war criminal, joining the Straw Hat Grand Fleet under Cavendish? Remember when Hancock petrified her underlings and only turned them back because she was in love with Luffy? Even Law had a "nasty reputation" according to Apoo, as did Bartolomeo according to the Colosseum announcer, though it neither case is there explicit evidence that the reputation was earned.

hmm.

maybe the marines have the right idea.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Robin was literally an assassin. Franky ran a gang of thugs that beat people half to death.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011
Caesar hurt kids and the Strawhats were there to see it. I don't think he'll ever be anything other than a punching bag

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My favorite part of this chapter was when we got to see Bepo fighting.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Silver2195 posted:

Luffy also believes that people can change their ways and stop being lovely, even if he has to punch them. See crocodile and buggy for that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KoB posted:

Robin was literally an assassin. Franky ran a gang of thugs that beat people half to death.

To be fair to Robin, Igaram turning up alive implies she was trying to undermine Crocodile's plans more or less from the beginning. It would be a stretch to assume she had clean hands before joining Baroque Works, but it's left vague enough to allow for the possibility; even her claim to be an assassin could be taken in context as just baiting Zoro. And she has a sob story that excuses a lot.

Franky at least never killed anybody, and the other citizens of Water 7 seem to be pretty OK with the Franky Family.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not sure if Luffy thinks Croc can change. Dude still had a grudge when they met at Impel Down and Luffy only agreed to Croc being freed because he was their way out and Ivankov said he could keep Croc in line.

But yeah, Luffy pals around with a bunch of dudes who hurt others because there really aren't that many 'good' pirates.

The only ones that I remember are the Straw Hats (kinda selfish and rude, but will always lend a help to their friends, and they make friends hella easily), the Red Hair Pirates (harmless to your average civilian and hella friendly), and Whitebeard (actively takes the oppressed under his wing).

As for Robin, I'd give her a pass since the only way she could survive was by relying on whoever was capable of sheltering her, who unsurprisingly all turned out to be pretty seedy.

Franky's crew used to be misfits, but the Franky Family under Franky's leadership only targeted pirates from what I recall. Ussop and the Straw Hats aside, most pirates are not friendly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

there really aren't that many 'good' pirates.

The only ones that I remember are the Straw Hats (kinda selfish and rude, but will always lend a help to their friends, and they make friends hella easily), the Red Hair Pirates (harmless to your average civilian and hella friendly), and Whitebeard (actively takes the oppressed under his wing).

The Rumbar Pirates (Brook's old crew), the Sun Pirates under Fisher Tiger, and Law's Heart Pirates (despite what I said above about Law's "nasty reputation," Law's flashback suggests it was unearned) seemed OK.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

red plastic cup posted:

hmm.

maybe the marines have the right idea.

Akainu Did Nothing Wrong.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

The Rumbar Pirates (Brook's old crew), the Sun Pirates under Fisher Tiger, and Law's Heart Pirates (despite what I said above about Law's "nasty reputation," Law's flashback suggests it was unearned) seemed OK.

Oh right, forgot about Rumbar and Sun Pirates. They count too, yeah.

Dunno about the Heart Pirates. Law was pretty determined to get revenge on Doffy, so who knows what he might've done to people in his path.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Sure as hell didn't reassembled all the marines he butchered. One guys just a head on a foot now

for life

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A lot of people thought Whitebeard was a literal demon. There was even a scene during the Marineford arc with kids singing nursery rhymes about Whitebeard the demon and a woman praying that Whitebeard hopefully wouldn't bring the world to ruin.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Sure as hell didn't reassembled all the marines he butchered. One guys just a head on a foot now

for life

i'm sure they know they risks when they join the marines. there's probably a devil fruit that does that anyway

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I still don't quite understand what was going on the last two panels of this chapter because there's so much detail in so small a space. Looks like Inuarashi's left leg was cut off, and maybe? Nekomamushi's was too? It'd be cool if it was the opposite leg on both, so they would have to depend on the other in the climactic battle.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think the cat lost an arm

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

kinmik posted:

I still don't quite understand what was going on the last two panels of this chapter because there's so much detail in so small a space. Looks like Inuarashi's left leg was cut off, and maybe? Nekomamushi's was too? It'd be cool if it was the opposite leg on both, so they would have to depend on the other in the climactic battle.

Cat guy lost an arm, Dogman lost a leg

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Silver2195 posted:

Law removed 100 hearts from pirates and gave them to the World Government to become a Warlord. Granted, they were pirate hearts and likely removed via a room, but that's still pretty brutal.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I approve of the Baratie's upgrade.

It took me a while to see it but it's now objectively the best ship in the sea.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Law's extended crew is pretty underwhelming. I kinda wish his crew was a smaller one like the Straw Hats. And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they all just use generic weapons. We've seen Shachi and Penguin enough that they should at least have some sort of unique fighting style... Jean-Bart with a gun larger than most human beings is interesting I guess.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Law's extended crew is pretty underwhelming. I kinda wish his crew was a smaller one like the Straw Hats. And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they all just use generic weapons. We've seen Shachi and Penguin enough that they should at least have some sort of unique fighting style... Jean-Bart with a gun larger than most human beings is interesting I guess.

Luffy seems to be the only one going out of his way to assemble a "super crew". Everyone seems to be fine with attaching fodder and grunts to their ranks just to bolster the numbers.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Crazyeyes posted:

Law had his heart and used it to threaten before so it's probably just "Do this or we'll squeeze your heart really hard and that poo poo hurts yo"

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

A lot of people thought Whitebeard was a literal demon. There was even a scene during the Marineford arc with kids singing nursery rhymes about Whitebeard the demon and a woman praying that Whitebeard hopefully wouldn't bring the world to ruin.

I think that's the point of Whitebeard's character, people thinks he's this monstrously vicious pirate but he's actually big softie.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So if Jack has a bounty of 1Billion, why has no one ever mentioned him before? Seems like a (hopefully) pretty unique distinction. Can't be a whole lot of pirates in that class, I would think.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

So if Jack has a bounty of 1Billion, why has no one ever mentioned him before? Seems like a (hopefully) pretty unique distinction. Can't be a whole lot of pirates in that class, I would think.

O: guess they forgot. don~~ !!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crazyeyes posted:

I think a lot of the bigger names generally aren't spoken about in prior levels.

Remember, the people of East Blue had no idea what Devil Fruits were, and most of them thought they were just myths. Hell, Shanks chilled at Luffy's town and hardly anybody realized how big of a deal he was.

Then the people of Grand Line didn't really know much about Haki, though Devil Fruits were common knowledge.

Then you get to the Red Line, and Haki is pretty much something everyone has.

People who are strong generally don't hang around in weaker seas. Arlong was one of the unique exceptions - he deliberately stayed in East Blue while making use of his connection to corrupt marines to keep the truly strong ones off his back, and was pretty much the strongest active pirate around.

So reputations are pretty much the same way, I think. People of weaker seas only know the truly big names, like the Seven Warlords or Four Emperors, and don't really know who their subordinates are. Plus, I figure that big bounties are overshadowed when you're serving a big name. Like, Ace had the second highest bounty in the series (highest known for a long while) but nobody mentioned it because his personal bounty was overshadowed by Whitebeard.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think most peoples reactions to Ace was
"Oh crap its fire fist ace of the... :stare:OH poo poo WHITEBEARD PIRATES."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Whitebeard crew was also unique in that they were (to my knowledge) the first pirate fleet shown with members doing their own things (even though Ace was acting against the rest of the crew's wishes). All the other pirate crews in East Blue and the Grand Line pretty much traveled as a crew, but Ace (and Mihawk before him) were pirates who went around by themselves. Even Shanks, later revealed to be an Emperor, didn't really have crew members split from the crew (except Rockstar, who he sent as a messenger to Whitebeard).

It's a lot more common now, obviously.

Doflamingo had special officers to go on missions for him (and Bellamy used to go out and subjugate enemies for Doflamingo), Big Mom also has minions do destroy kingdoms for her, and Kaidou seems to go off and do his own (attempted) suicidal stuff. Even the Straw Hats have split up and been in different islands.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Didn't Shanks become a Yonku some time after leaving his hat with Luffy and such?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crazyeyes posted:

Didn't Shanks become a Yonku some time after leaving his hat with Luffy and such?

To be honest, it's never really specified when Shanks became an Emperor, so that could very well be the case.

Still, he was famous for his battles with Mihawk even before meeting Luffy, during the age of Roger.

Though back then his name would have been overshadowed by that of his captain's.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Never actually stated, but that's what I assume since a random sea monster shouldn't have able to chomp off his arm if he was already strong enough to be an Emperor.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Never actually stated, but that's what I assume since a random sea monster shouldn't have able to chomp off his arm if he was already strong enough to be an Emperor.

It was only able to chomp on his arm because it was bad rear end. Dude could sword fight Mihawk and went up against Whitebeard prior to that, dumb fish wasn't no thing.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I remember the scene with Shanks and Whitebeard in the dub, WHitebeard asks what's with his arm and Shanks smiles "I took a gamble on the future" or something to that extent. Luffy wouldn't had learned if Shanks hadn't gotten hurt

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah Shanks intentionally sacrificed his arm to make an impact on Luffy and to decisively steer him in the direction of becoming a great pirate in the future.

Shanks probably has the Xanatos Gambit down pat as a former apprentice of Roger's. Dollars to donuts Roger himself carefully schemed so everything would work according to plan after making a decisive impact on the world with his execution One Piece speech.

In other words, Shanks:Luffy::Roger:the world at large in terms of sacrifice (arm vs life) and impact. A big theme of early One Piece was about being willing to put your life on the line for your goals.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I remember the scene with Shanks and Whitebeard in the dub, WHitebeard asks what's with his arm and Shanks smiles "I took a gamble on the future" or something to that extent. Luffy wouldn't had learned if Shanks hadn't gotten hurt

I always thought it was meant as a "hit the fish or save the kid" but I like this answer more. I'm pretty sure the same line was in the comic too