Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know I ditched my unlimited data a few years ago. I don't think I've ever gotten near my cap.

I guess what are people doing that requires more than 10 gigs of data a month?

I'm on the road two weeks out of the month for work, so my usual data usage is around 20gb a month; hotel / airport lounge wifi usually doesn't cut it for streaming tv/movie/music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm just gonna pay the $5 extra and in a couple years when Internet poo poo consumes even more bandwidth they'll probably sweeten the pot even more to get your rear end off it

Was it Verizon that wouldn't let you upgrade and keep your unlimited data or something shady.

I mean obviously unlimited data is the bane of carriers but maybe they should strengthen things a bit on their end eh.

I live in a densely populated area and WIFI is still hard to come by and not readily available besides what most think. Sure I can find a place that has it but hardly all establishments that you'd expect to have it do. Not to mention there's a good chance it doesn't work, the router has needed to be reset for 3 days but the 45 year old lady on shift doesn't know how or where it is, or some rear end in a top hat downloading torrents

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 16, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not like there was some implied guarantee that the unlimited plan would be good forever. At some point providers will probably decide that the PR hit in not allowing anyone to keep an old unlimited data plan once their contract is up will be smaller than the cost of sending 10s of GB to a handful of people every month and then we will all be on a mobile bandwidth budget.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

withak posted:

It's not like there was some implied guarantee that the unlimited plan would be good forever. At some point providers will probably decide that the PR hit in not allowing anyone to keep an old unlimited data plan once their contract is up will be smaller than the cost of sending 10s of GB to a handful of people every month and then we will all be on a mobile bandwidth budget.

Data keeps getting cheaper and cheaper as well (Verizon is already offering like 20gb plans for $100/mo). In another few years, mobile data plans will be like 50gb and only the morons who tether hundreds of gigs a month will be affected.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

maduin posted:

Data keeps getting cheaper and cheaper as well (Verizon is already offering like 20gb plans for $100/mo). In another few years, mobile data plans will be like 50gb and only the morons who tether hundreds of gigs a month will be affected.

Something like a 50gb plan for the same cost as an unlimited plan would be absolutely acceptable to me. Basically wouldn't have to worry about data, but it'd keep the tethering torrenting assholes at bay.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or bell curve pricing or something. As you climb to higher percentiles, you start to pay through the nose. People that use zero data are basically free. The average folks in the middle pay about what they've been paying (which would never happen, you know the carriers would configure the tiers so everyone is always paying more).

Caps are stupid, but I do support paying for what I actually use, as long as "average usage" is a fair price and reflects how the average person genuinely uses their data connection.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Was it Verizon that wouldn't let you upgrade and keep your unlimited data or something shady.

Yes it was and I got burned by that.

I'm averaging about 3-4gigs a month.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Or bell curve pricing or something. As you climb to higher percentiles, you start to pay through the nose.

This wouldn't make carriers enough money because (figuratively) 99% of people use almost no data.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Michael Scott posted:

This wouldn't make carriers enough money because (figuratively) 99% of people use almost no data.

This sounds like a solvable problem.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

e.pilot posted:

Something like a 50gb plan for the same cost as an unlimited plan would be absolutely acceptable to me. Basically wouldn't have to worry about data, but it'd keep the tethering torrenting assholes at bay.

How are they assholes for using their internet connection? They were sold unlimited, they still pay for unlimited. I still don't believe they should get the protected status they do if they can contractually or not implement limitations like that. Even though it was a minority of consumers that care or take advantage of it, I think the cable card is a good thing and the arguments for the consumer freedom it offers are near-equivalent to those in this situation. The difference is in the shared bandwidth affecting other consumers, but again I feel that is more appropriately framed as the carriers failing to implement infrastructure that they agreed to in accepting public funds.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Because the unlimited plans don't cover tethering.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Should I update to 9.2? Going on holiday tomorrow until the New Year and I don't want to be dealing with phone stuff

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dugong posted:

Should I update to 9.2? Going on holiday tomorrow until the New Year and I don't want to be dealing with phone stuff

Music automatically starts playing again when you exit the camera app, so there's that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's fine for me. I have noticed that the way navigation works with podcasts playing in Overcast is different, but in a good way. Rather than fading the podcast quiet but still playing, it actually pauses while giving the instruction.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

e.pilot posted:

Music automatically starts playing again when you exit the camera app, so there's that.

Oh thank god.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
So my girlfriend managed somehow to slam her car door on her iPhone, totally obliterating the screen and putting a giant bend in the frame:

Amazingly, this thing still runs and charges and she managed to back up her files onto her Mac. I know screens can be replaced but do you think anyone will be able to repair a bent frame? I'm sure if I took it to an Apple store they'd just tell me that she has to buy a new phone but I'm trying to avoid that. Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm kinda rushing around at the moment.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

The Casualty posted:

So my girlfriend managed somehow to slam her car door on her iPhone, totally obliterating the screen and putting a giant bend in the frame:

Amazingly, this thing still runs and charges and she managed to back up her files onto her Mac. I know screens can be replaced but do you think anyone will be able to repair a bent frame? I'm sure if I took it to an Apple store they'd just tell me that she has to buy a new phone but I'm trying to avoid that. Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm kinda rushing around at the moment.

Apple has an Out of Warranty replacement for $299 for accidentally damaged phones what don't have AppleCare+.
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's quite the damage.

Apple will replace it for something like 200 or 300 bucks, I forgot which. But yeah, you'll be paying for it, and no it's unlikely that kind of damage can be repaired.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Just put a couple textbooks on top of it for a couple days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BENDGATE 2015 :supaburn:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does pocket casts have a CarPlay app? Really missing it from Android and would love to do some sweet sweet syncing. If not, I think the stock podcast app should be sufficient then.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

xzzy posted:

BENDGATE 2015 :supaburn:

20% bendier if it has the Samsung chip!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

goku chewbacca posted:

Apple has an Out of Warranty replacement for $299 for accidentally damaged phones what don't have AppleCare+.
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Thanks. I guess that's what we'll have to do.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Croc Monster posted:

20% bendier if it has the Samsung chip!

WILL THE APPLE STORE SWAP OUT>?!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Casualty posted:

That really is amazing that it still works at all, since nearly all of the components of the phone that aren't battery or camera related are exactly beneath that crease.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Put it the other way in the door and slam it. There, saved you $300.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dugong posted:

Seems fine...other than seemingly breaking Sound Check again for me :argh:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dugong posted:

Ever since I updated, my iPhone automatically asks me to connect to wi-fi even though I have that turned off. Anybody else having this problem?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

enojy posted:

That really is amazing that it still works at all, since nearly all of the components of the phone that aren't battery or camera related are exactly beneath that crease.

I'm pretty sure that's the battery side. The logic board is below the camera.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Is Apple Music really better at making playlists now? I'm back to Spotify but that was one of my bigger gripes with Apple Music.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Apple Music is exactly the same.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

noirstronaut posted:

Apple Music is exactly the same.

The 9.2 patch notes mentioned playlists under Apple Music Improvements, was referring to that.

Here's an expanded patch notes: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1842?locale=en_US

If all those AM improvements work as mentioned there, making/managing playlists should be a lot easier. Should.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, Best Buy has put the Apple leather cases and silicone cases on clearance and are also offering 50% if you buy 2 or more. Apple Brown Leather Case comes out to ~$15 with 2-day shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...egories&seeAll=

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I picked up the Apple Smart Battery Case and so far I really like it. I had the Mophie Juice Pack 120 before (well, still have it) and it was just too bulky. The apple one is relatively thin for a battery case. I like that it uses a lightning cable to charge and its thin at the bottom so it fits in my dock.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My sister gave my mom her old 6. My mom's prior phone was a 4. They did an iCloud backup. My mom finally visited me and wanted me to restore her new 6 from the backup.

The backup has been done for over an hour now and not one photo or song has shown up. Also her voice recordings show a list but it's all grated out.

Just wait longer? Something amiss?

Also: What's that new setting that was eating through everyone's data?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It's wifi assist. You can find it in settings>cellular all the way at the bottom.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Feenix posted:

My sister gave my mom her old 6. My mom's prior phone was a 4. They did an iCloud backup. My mom finally visited me and wanted me to restore her new 6 from the backup.

The backup has been done for over an hour now and not one photo or song has shown up. Also her voice recordings show a list but it's all grated out.

Just wait longer? Something amiss?

Also: What's that new setting that was eating through everyone's data?

Restoring from an iCloud backup can be hideously slow at times. An hour is definitely not enough time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I just gave up on my iCloud backup and started the phone new because it was so slow.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

FCKGW posted:

If you have an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, Best Buy has put the Apple leather cases and silicone cases on clearance and are also offering 50% if you buy 2 or more. Apple Brown Leather Case comes out to ~$15 with 2-day shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...egories&seeAll=

Thanks for the heads up on this. It's always nice to replace these as they start to look sort of lovely (especially lighter colors like red) after like 6-8 months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
have iphones always been a real adventure in cold weather? It's only 42degF in northern virginia today but my 6s just declared itself dead from 32% battery after 10 minutes outside. it was pocketed the vast majority of that time. oh well :(