Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
It's odd when you see what looks like a flat, smooth, but steep incline and then you find out it's the craggiest peice of land ever. Im always going too fast and the result is me repairing wheels.

One day I dream we can start a racing league and do an entire planetary circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Uncle Spriggly posted:

It's odd when you see what looks like a flat, smooth, but steep incline and then you find out it's the craggiest peice of land ever. Im always going too fast and the result is me repairing wheels.

One day I dream we can start a racing league and do an entire planetary circuit.

That would be cool as hell

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
There's basically no reason not to make a flying ship with atmospheric thrusters.

Are banks of turrets still prone to shooting through each other? Do you still need to make armor ridges to avoid it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

There's basically no reason not to make a flying ship with atmospheric thrusters.

Are banks of turrets still prone to shooting through each other? Do you still need to make armor ridges to avoid it?

Yup. Also you're forgetting the best reason for ground vehicles; Cruising in style :dukedog:. That plus you need a lot of thrust to lift any decent quantity of cargo, which can be done cheaper with a ground vehicle. Or popping up just over a ridge to shoot at pirate bases instead of sitting overhead getting shot at.

edit: Holy crap, they really have optimized the game. My battleship usually chugs just a little even in a world on its own. Now it actually runs fine :suspense:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 18, 2015

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

It seems in the latest patch they enabled the yellow debug menu on F12(and shift-F12). Most of the settings aren't to useful (as far as I can see), but messing with the time of day, planet atmosphere and lighting Is cool.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My holiday wish is for the game to get stable enough to see a good goon server pop up so we can crash dong shaped ground vehicles into each other.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Or have some sort of incredibly violent rocket assisted rally course.

Like a mix of Rocket league crossed Wipeout crossed with some other game whose name I cannot remember.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped;

quote:

Update 01.113.011
- fixed memory leak with landing gears
- fixed ejector having no sound
- fixed crash when detonating warheads
- fixed server killing players when sim speed is low
- fixed oxygen tank lights not shining

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
One final revision to my work ship design, now on the workshop.

Model A:

Useful for tasks that require a light, compact craft, such as welding, grinding, or moving around modules.
Range is about 15-30 minutes on a single charge, plug it in often or add a battery module.
Comes complete with a Power Chassis module that adds a rear merge block, a conveyor bridge, extra thrust, a medium cargo container, and additional batteries that greatly increase it's range.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=578764899

Model B:

A medium range cockpit, useful for mining or hauling cargo. Includes an ore detector, Medium cargo container, and a projector. Otherwise it's comparable in function to the Power Chassis module.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577940191
Modules include colour-coded decoupling/function buttons, and organised control panels. Get yours today!

I may upload more modules in the coming weeks, but I encourage you to build your own.

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 19, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidGolfCart posted:

One final revision to my work ship design, now on the workshop.

Model A:

Useful for tasks that require a light, compact craft, such as welding, grinding, or moving around modules.
Range is about 15-30 minutes on a single charge, plug it in often or add a battery module.
Comes complete with a Power Chassis module that adds a rear merge block, a conveyor bridge, extra thrust, a medium cargo container, and additional batteries that greatly increase it's range.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=578764899

Model B:

A medium range cockpit, useful for mining or hauling cargo. Includes an ore detector, Medium cargo container, and a projector. Otherwise it's comparable in function to the Power Chassis module.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577940191
Modules include colour-coded decoupling/function buttons, and organised control panels. Get yours today!

I may upload more modules in the coming weeks, but I encourage you to build your own.

That's a really nice simple design, and I've added them to the OP. One issue though; you're missing O2 tanks on it. You can make a quick-and-dirty fix for that by using the 1x2 ones from the Small Ship Mega Mod.

If you want to get clever with modular equipment, try doing what I do with most of my subcraft and load it up with onboard projectors. Turn on projector, wave ship at welder of choice, enjoy your new mounted equipment. Making a train of the same pod? Realign the projector several squares back to fit the next one on.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's a really nice simple design, and I've added them to the OP. One issue though; you're missing O2 tanks on it. You can make a quick-and-dirty fix for that by using the 1x2 ones from the Small Ship Mega Mod.

If you want to get clever with modular equipment, try doing what I do with most of my subcraft and load it up with onboard projectors. Turn on projector, wave ship at welder of choice, enjoy your new mounted equipment. Making a train of the same pod? Realign the projector several squares back to fit the next one on.

Didn't think of the O2 tanks, my intention was to put extra tanks in the cockpit inventory. I'll see if I can't squeeze some tanks on at least the bigger model, since the smaller one is only meant for short range use anyways.
The Model-B also has an on-board projector, I forgot about adding one to the Model-A.

Update:
I put my new projector module up, check it out.

Includes physical positioning controls for the projector so you can line your blueprints up to the merge blocks. If your blueprint has no merge block to align with, you could improvise!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=579543715

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So how do you get a Tank/rover back after dropping it down from orbit? Well...

The belly pod detaches, and I think one of them's going to have some extra Hydrogen Thrusters for heavy-duty lifting because it'll pick up the Multirover but can't manage the fat-assed battletank. Along with maybe a pod variant packing some mounted guns to turn the whole thing into a heavy-duty gunship.

I also need to make sure it'll actually fit aboard the Avalon, because I eyeballed the measurements.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I need new construction drones, mine were designed before the medium container capacity was reduced, and so are obsolete. But I am having trouble making aesthetically-pleasing replacements.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

I need new construction drones, mine were designed before the medium container capacity was reduced, and so are obsolete. But I am having trouble making aesthetically-pleasing replacements.

Have you tried my multipod mk.2? Its remote-pilotable and able to fly in atmosphere, I think. Plus you can chop and change the tool hands as-needed on a single pod.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Okay goons this might be a dumbass question but help me out here because I'm confused.

I've been playing SE again the last couple of days after a few months away, and I can't operate my ship drills/welders/grinders with LMB. I can control them fine through the various options when dragging them onto the toolbar, but I can't just press my mouse button down to drill. Am I crazy or did this change at some point, because I would swear up and down it used to be mouse button. And more pertinently, how do I change this back?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay goons this might be a dumbass question but help me out here because I'm confused.

I've been playing SE again the last couple of days after a few months away, and I can't operate my ship drills/welders/grinders with LMB. I can control them fine through the various options when dragging them onto the toolbar, but I can't just press my mouse button down to drill. Am I crazy or did this change at some point, because I would swear up and down it used to be mouse button. And more pertinently, how do I change this back?

When you hit G to add poo poo to the tool-bar, there's a seperate category called "Tools and Weapons", if you add those to the bar then, when selected, drills etc will be operable via the mouse buttons.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rhjamiz posted:

When you hit G to add poo poo to the tool-bar, there's a seperate category called "Tools and Weapons", if you add those to the bar then, when selected, drills etc will be operable via the mouse buttons.

Thank you! I must have forgotten about that or something.

e; I just realized when I get shot away from my airlock when I come in from hard vacuum, it's not a bug, it's the interior air blasting me back :haw:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 23, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We got an early Spacemas Update;

quote:

Summary
Merry Christmas, Engineers!
Today’s update will help you to better understand the creation of planets. With step by step guides you can create your own planet, play with its atmosphere and if you want to delve really deep, you can completely change the look and feel with new trees and even modifying the voxel materials. Are you missing the lava planet? Do you want to recreate planets from your favorite sci-fi movies? With these modding guides, now you can create any planet you want easily and effortlessly!
We have also created some example planetary mods to help you get started. You can find the links to the example mods and guides below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BHxaVND4sg

Planetary modding guides:
Planetary Modding Guide - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=566387835
Modding guide for planetary flora - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568303446
Modding Guide for Voxel Materials - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568406623

Official example mods:
Changed voxel material Grass to blue (inc. foliage) - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=572647925
Alien tree changed from red to blue - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=572666778
Modded planet with a custom tree and blue grass: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=572570154

Planetary workshop category:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=244850&requiredtags[]=planet

Fixes
- implemented collector, connector and ejector sounds
- fixed memory usage growing when game is running :siren:
- fixed movement issues when small grid is attached to a large grid
- oxygen tank lights are not shining
- fixed client issue to teleport via Space Master
- fixed piston sounds
- fixed scrolling not working properly in scenario screen
- removed strength slider from ejector GUI

Also put together my Heavy Lifter. The Cargo Pod has a pair of the Azimuth Medium Containers for big fat supply runs, and the one with Atmospheric Engines is a Skycrane Pod. The other two are just to turn it into a big fat gunship.

The Skycrane Pod's for stealing wreckage recovering ground vehicles (which was partly the point of building the ship itself). There's also a few Hydrogen Tanks inside it just to account for stuff like lugging a fatass Tank back up into orbit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My lights all have this ugly halo sprite:

I know it wasn't always like this (but I've put up with it for a long time so I don't remember when it started). What's the deal? The skybox is often pretty ugly too, with weird green patches.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finished my new construction vehicle!

Two welders, two grinders, landing gear to hold what you're working on, 7 containers, oxygen tank, and the cockpit is connected to inventory so you can build from it.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
More cockpits:

Meet U-Bert:

Thanks to the Mech Cockpit mod for the teensy cockpit.

I've also been working on more modular pieces for the set, including these thruster units.

I've also made junctions, solar (charging) modules, and a large processing block.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Are there any angled lcd or transparent lcd (where only the text shows, background is transparent) mods anyone knows of? I've tried searching to no avail.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Are there any angled lcd or transparent lcd (where only the text shows, background is transparent) mods anyone knows of? I've tried searching to no avail.

The Slope LCD Panels modpack is what you want for the first one. Nothing exists for the second type.

edit:

Have a Kingfisher

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 26, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Construction and mining ships published!

Crewed Engineering Vehicle "Kumabachi" (Carpenter Bee)

Crewed Mining Vehicle "Mizubachi" (Honey Bee)

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
So I don't have anything awesome I've made to show off yet. (I'm working on a pretty cool base, which I may show off when I finish). But I did want to show this picture off of the system I'm currently playing in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I kinda think you should pair the tools horizontally rather than vertically, so they have better reach to touch multiple large blocks instead of just one.

Also added a new extra to my multi-tank.

It's gained a set of four support legs. The general idea being to give it better footing on uneven terrain to shoot stuff from.

Or to fix poo poo in the field and tip off weapon modules.

Plus I figure why not give the Little David cannon a bit of artillery elevation. The angle range is crap, but it's there I guess :effort:.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Welp, U-Bert can't fit through doors.

So I made a ship that can.

I dunno what it could be useful for.
Aside from fitting through doors, that is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Have a Tank.. Try not to shoot your eye out with it.

RabidGolfCart posted:

Welp, U-Bert can't fit through doors.

So I made a ship that can.

I dunno what it could be useful for.
Aside from fitting through doors, that is.

Stick some of the Azimuth 1x2 gatling guns on it and turn it into a corridor-clearing murder pod.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stick some of the Azimuth 1x2 gatling guns on it and turn it into a corridor-clearing murder pod.

"Knock knock"

"Did somebody order pain?"

Better equipped version:

Reminds me of the pods/drones in Space Station 13.

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 29, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
is that a boot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It is. How dare you disgrace something as beautiful as that door-kicking Pod with aomething more efficient and better-equipped :colbert:.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like the version with the one cannon in the middle because its front-facing thrusters make it look like a face :kimchi:

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

McGiggins posted:

is that a boot
Of course not, it's a 'landing shoe'.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is. How dare you disgrace something as beautiful as that door-kicking Pod with aomething more efficient and better-equipped :colbert:.
My pod, my rules.
:colbert:

But really, I wanted at least two guns and room for cargo containers, now it's actually a pretty decent murder-cube.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Switch the gun for a really tiny mod welder and you could have a little maintenance unit for work in the bowels of a big ship. :kimchi:

Also I laffed hard at that 'landing shoe', amazing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidGolfCart posted:

Of course not, it's a 'landing shoe'.

My pod, my rules.
:colbert:

But really, I wanted at least two guns and room for cargo containers, now it's actually a pretty decent murder-cube.

You should slap a Sound Block on it too. Let them know that death is coming :unsmigghh:.

Mister Adequate posted:

Switch the gun for a really tiny mod welder and you could have a little maintenance unit for work in the bowels of a big ship. :kimchi:

Also I laffed hard at that 'landing shoe', amazing

The Landing Shoe is a beautiful thing indeed.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
A sound block on something like that should play really up beat k-pop, or death metal k-pop.

Something really off so you can really get that Insane AI drone feel going.

*Whistles merrily whilst cutting up the crew*

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should slap a Sound Block on it too. Let them know that death is coming :unsmigghh:.

I'm reminded of an olde game from ye olde times called Iron Helix, it was basically "Myst + Resident Evil on a space station with a flying killer robot stalking you". Ah, to be young again

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

McGiggins posted:

A sound block on something like that should play really up beat k-pop, or death metal k-pop.

Something really off so you can really get that Insane AI drone feel going.

*Whistles merrily whilst cutting up the crew*

It should play Tom Waits at deafening volume with a picture of him on an LCD screen singing into the megaphone. Equip it with a grinder too for extra terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfamPW3Eaw

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Hey y'all, since we're plugging our creations, I made this thing a while back and recently got around to updating it.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=344199068

If you ever feel like poking something full of holes at 7.5km range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do they still suffer from bullet damage not propagating? I mean will hitting a small, non-deformable block like an interior light still absorb all the damage?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I kinda think you should pair the tools horizontally rather than vertically, so they have better reach to touch multiple large blocks instead of just one.

I like it better this way, lets me easily bring both tools (i.e. both welders, or both grinders) to bear on a single block, and if I want work on more at once I just aim at the block edges. Even a single welder can do 4 blocks at a time if you place it at the meeting point.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 30, 2015

• Locked thread