Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

kiimo posted:

The crushing fear that Brits have of the mere possibility of social awkwardness must be exhausting.

Went to a screening in IMAX in the UK, in Kent. People wooped when the bbfc title card came up, never seen that happen before in Britain and it wasn't a bad thing really. No one clapped at the end, everyone laughed at the right places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He's not making an actual argument he just wanted to post something after someone mentioned his avatar.

What a fucker

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just got to the theater about 20 minutes ago; the concessions area is already getting busy and almost every screen it's showing on is sold out.

I saw these two people waiting in line for a later showing; the girl said she made both of their costumes by hand:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

People clap at films they enjoy regardless of if those films have an established fanbase or not. As do they yell out things at the screen, express shock or emotion at sudden events, and other such things. This has been a thing since before the internet existed in any meaningful form and was a cliche before most of us were born.

And yet, this 'natural' behavior doesn't happen in the UK.

The odd practice of flopping your mitts together to express satisfaction was invented at some point, and has kept on going since at least as far back as the Roman Empire. But though that simple action has remained consistent, the specific reason behind each applause changes with the specific context. A multiplex today is a different context from a jazz club in the 1950s, and is different from a church - where you do get an uncannily similar debate over whether applause is even appropriate.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When i saw it there was an edgy guy dressed as Spock.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CJ posted:

When i saw it there was an edgy guy dressed as Spock.

Was he wearing this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The odd practice of flopping your mitts together to express satisfaction was invented at some point, and has kept on going since at least as far back as the Roman Empire. But though that simple action has remained consistent, the specific reason behind each applause changes with the specific context. A multiplex today is a different context from a jazz club in the 1950s, and is different from a church - where you do get an uncannily similar debate over whether applause is even appropriate.

Congratulations SuperMechaGodzilla, you've discovered that different things happen in different places at different times. We're very proud of you.

Gonz posted:

Was he wearing this?

I sort of want this shirt.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Soundtrack is on Spotify now. And there's no spoilers in the titles this time around.

Seen it twice now. Great time was had. There's something truly magical about seeing that iconic intro on a big cinema screen. Also the shot of the Star Destroyer covering the planet/moon is incredible.

This movie LOOKS amazing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

Congratulations SuperMechaGodzilla, you've discovered that different things happen in different places at different times. We're very proud of you.

Correct.

In this case, the 'different thing' is the fact that applause is now directed at the other moviegoers in a way that allows you to 'upvote' the film.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Correct.

In this case, the 'different thing' is the fact that applause is now directed at the other moviegoers in a way that allows you to 'upvote' the film.

Nah. You're just struggling to defend the dumb conclusion you didn't think out because you were in a rush to post it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Awww it's cute that SMG implies that he knows what happens in the U.K.

Spoilers, we applauded at the end of the film and cheered at the beginning, because we were happy the film was good and hype for Star Wars.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Some thoughts:

Why does Snoke have to be anyone from the existing lore? I think I would enjoy it a lot more with him as a new villain who's risen over the years and learnt from Sheev's mistakes rather than have be an existing character in a contrived way.

I'm pretty convinced Rey is a Skywalker, Snoke knew something about her and told Ren, that with Ren saying 'Its just us now' convinces me of that, I would perhaps enjoy it more if say she was the daughter of perhaps a villainous character we've yet to meet, maybe whoever Del Toro is playing.

I dont think Ren will be redeemed either, he doesn't want to be, he doesn't seem to be being slowly seduced he wants to he bad but was struggling to be, he finally overcame that and killed Han, compare this to Anakin who wanted to be good the whole time but he wanted yo do too much which is why he fell that's why he can be redeemed.

Overall, I thought the film was great, yeah it was a bit of a rehash but it captured the magic of the OT completely and I grinned like an idiot the whole way through.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Amazing movie, go see it now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

StoneOfShame posted:

Some thoughts:

Why does Snoke have to be anyone from the existing lore? I think I would enjoy it a lot more with him as a new villain who's risen over the years and learnt from Sheev's mistakes rather than have be an existing character in a contrived way.

I'm pretty convinced Rey is a Skywalker, Snoke knew something about her and told Ren, that with Ren saying 'Its just us now' convinces me of that, I would perhaps enjoy it more if say she was the daughter of perhaps a villainous character we've yet to meet, maybe whoever Del Toro is playing.

I dont think Ren will be redeemed either, he doesn't want to be, he doesn't seem to be being slowly seduced he wants to he bad but was struggling to be, he finally overcame that and killed Han, compare this to Anakin who wanted to be good the whole time but he wanted yo do too much which is why he fell that's why he can be redeemed.

Overall, I thought the film was great, yeah it was a bit of a rehash but it captured the magic of the OT completely and I grinned like an idiot the whole way through.

I don't think he has to be, I think it can simply be the Jedi misinterpreting balance to the force as absence of the Sith. The Sith are absent, they're gone, Kylo is trying to be one with no idea of what that truly is, but that doesn't mean the Dark side is absent, in the same way that the Empire being absent doesn't mean that evil is gone.

Also I think you're dead on the money with Rey being a Skywalker and also that she'll have to kill Ren, providing a neat contrast to idea of non-violence in the OT.

Also Jesus Christ go see this movie it's amazing.

Edit: I have a terrible cold and it might just be the lack of sleep with that, but when Rey came back and saw Leia, I was pretty close to tears. What really struck it home was that they played Han Solo and the Princess at that very moment and a little part of my brain was aware that I will never hear that piece of music in cinema again.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 18, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also space Nazis was the best thing anyone has ever done.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm sitting in a theater about to watch new Star Wars, this is pretty cool.

Please don't suck.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Awww it's cute that SMG implies that he knows what happens in the U.K.

Spoilers, we applauded at the end of the film and cheered at the beginning, because we were happy the film was good and hype for Star Wars.

Excessive clapping is a well-known American thing (not only in cinemas, but in stage plays with big celebrities, and so-on). It's not universal.

It's not unheard of elsewhere, but only accompanies like Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, superhero movies and things of that sort. As you put it, you were 'hype for Star Wars'. It's part of the fan ritual of getting hyped and then announcing that the film 'met the hype'. That consensus can then be reported in, say, this thread.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Also as a Brit I find clapping at a screen stupid as gently caress, clapping at actors in a theatre yeah but clapping at screen is stupid.
I've only seen it happen once and that was after the Dark Knight Rises.

yeah that is stupid, the Dark Knight Rises sucked

Star Wars talk: do we get to see the beautiful Gwendoline Christine's face?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The barriers might have been nonsensical but they worked from a dramatic standpoint.

Whenever I see that scene all I can think about is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Is there post credits?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

yeah that is stupid, the Dark Knight Rises sucked

Star Wars talk: do we get to see the beautiful Gwendoline Christine's face?

Nope, her role could have been played by anyone.

EDIT: No post credits too.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Shards of Fate posted:

Nope, her role could have been played by anyone.

EDIT: No post credits too.

Her role should have been played by no one because there was literally no point to her being in the movie.

Seriously, they couldn't even make her the Stormtrooper that fights Finn with the baton? What did she do in this movie except report information to Hux/Kylo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not perfect, but I had a lot of fun. Boyega's American accent gets really goofy at times.

Was Von Sydow supposed to be anyone in particular?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Phasma is very obviously the new Boba Fett.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

weekly font posted:

Phasma is very obviously the new Boba Fett.

I honestly have no idea why Boba Fett was so goddamn popular, but given that half of Star Wars fandom seems to want to suck his dick, it's probably a good move to include a similarly useless character in any new movies.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I was in a packed theater for the first showing in a military town.

The audience cheered at the beginning, end, and whenever something awesome happened, or a familiar face appeared.

Everyone also laughed, a lot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

PT6A posted:

I honestly have no idea why Boba Fett was so goddamn popular, but given that half of Star Wars fandom seems to want to suck his dick, it's probably a good move to include a similarly useless character in any new movies.

Looks cool

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

Also the 20th century fox music played for all six movies which I wasn't expecting.

Yeah, I'm legit surprised that was a thing, but it helped me deal with the disappointment of not having it in front of VII

Speaking of: It's over. It's done. I have been awake for 24 straight hours. Star Wars was good. Star Wars was great.

i was sadly spoiled on Han's death, but it was well done and I'm not upset about it happening

Holy shot though. X-wings are the best.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Just came out of it. I want to love it, but I don't. It feels hollow and a retread of something we've already had. It's Star Wars, not sure what I was really expecting. Props to those who like it. It was a nice looking movie and better than what we've had. Just eh...

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Really liked how Ren was a big ol' Vader fanboy. Instead of being a boring superdark cool badass stereotype, he's a guy who badly wants to be a superdark cool badass so he's the Vader inverse. He's got the accoutrement without the need, going form instead of function with the mask and vocalizer, and I wouldn't be surprised if now that he has a disfiguring scar he doesn't put the mask back on because he thinks it makes him look intimidating.

Apologies if this has been brought up, still trying to digest having finally seen it!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

drat you FYAD

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

it was pretty good

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Secht posted:

Just came out of it. I want to love it, but I don't. It feels hollow and a retread of something we've already had. It's Star Wars, not sure what I was really expecting. Props to those who like it. It was a nice looking movie and better than what we've had. Just eh...

I feel kinda like you. Only I like the dynamic and the characters they've introduced. Hopefully the next movie doesn't feel the need to "HEY GUYS REMEMBER THIS FROM THE OG TRILOGY, HEH MILLENNIUM FALCON RIGHT"

My favorite parts of that movie were all parts that involved the new people. While my least favorite parts were stuff where old characters were all but winking and nodding at the screen.

It does have potential. I just really hope that they got the self referential stuff out of their system.

Edit: Also holy poo poo. This is the first time Harrison Ford has given a poo poo about a role in a looooong while.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 18, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Regarding Rey: It seemed pretty clear she had been on Luke's lonely island as a baby, but Kylo might have been pulling that "memory" from a premonition. (Like she had of the snow forest fight.)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Movie was dope as gently caress. It's dopeness was evident.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My theater was very boisterous. Lots of good laughs, cheering and hollering at the reveal of all the original characters, and a lot of applause at the end.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

My audience literally laughed at Adam Driver when he delivered his first line after taking off the mask. His hair is loving ridiculous, he looks like a blend of the Sheriff of Nottingham from Men in Tights and Price Charming from Shrek.

It felt too much like watching Girls.

That being said, I think that may have been intentional after reading everyone else's thoughts on Ren as a character.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Star Wars hot take : They should have relied more on visuals to tell the story, particularly with the encounter between Han and Ben. The darkness washing over him, then the saber igniting through Han without any dialogue would have been more compelling and been more than sufficient to relay Ben as an anguished child whose father abandoned him to star wars. But hamfisted dialogue is a Star Wars tradition, so I get it I do.

Danger fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just got out of the theater. That was really good! Much better than the prequels. People clapped at the beginning and end. :v:

It felt a bit rushed though. Like the laser kills the Senate and no one really cares.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've never once seen people clap at a movie theater.

• Locked thread