Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this an easter egg or something. What is the AI smoking lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kersch posted:

Basically I want to set up a monthly direct deposit into wiz's bank account and then have him keep tweaking war/units/leaders/combat endlessly

This is called buying all the DLC.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Well my last Re-reconquista run ended in tears when everyone declared on me at the same time, this one though is actually not going horribly. Yet.

By 1540 I had one province and was bankrupt, then I managed to get away from Portugal and Castile somehow and conquer a bunch of Indians. The plan is to expand North and South before Portugal figures out what's up, and then claw my way back.

Just waiting for the next disaster to strike, and I still haven't managed to Westernize :ohdear:

Get those juicy Mexican gold provinces asap.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Vassal Byzantium did the same thing in my game and kept loving up my peace deals.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

Perhaps opinions on Estates might differ a bit depending on what you want out of the game, rather than there being an objectively correct Good or Nongood stance? Most people seem to like them, but they *are* a bit of a divergence from the earlier War focused theme of the game, so it's to be expected everyone won't love them.
This was gist of my post. I definitely have to play the game more. They seem like a great concept and dont have too much overhead, but do add a dimension of "the RNG can gently caress me at any time EVEN MORE", heh.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's not actually the case at all though?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You shouldn't really be skirting the line so close that an event can gently caress you up that badly. Keep at 40% loyalty or higher and 70% influence or lower, and keep your "+10 loyalty/influence" decision as an emergency button rather than spamming it every time it's available.

And view estate loyalty as the extremely valuable commodity that it is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VDay posted:

That's not actually the case at all though?
That is how it feels to me. But I have really bad luck. And am terrible.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Larry Parrish posted:

Historical AI settings looking good!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Larry Parrish posted:

They're clearly on an achievement run this time.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Tsyni posted:

Get those juicy Mexican gold provinces asap.

I did, thanks!

I've just westernzed, currently sitting on 8 gold mines. I'm going to grab 3 more mines in the south after the truce with Pacajes ends meaning I'll have 11 mines :v:. I think I'm just gonna catch up in mil tech and then go for it. Will probably try to grab a foothold in Europe and then ally the Ottomans. This thing might actually work out!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MrChips posted:

I don't mind the new estate system, but for me it suffers from the same problem as the faction system; I basically set it to one group and forget about it forever.

You interact with the Estates a lot the more you play outside of Western Europe. The Clergy, for example, is pretty pointless if you're sitting in Italy but amazingly useful if you're, say, Ethiopia where you can really leverage the -2 Unrest and +2 Missionary Strength as you move out of Coptic lands and into the Sunni dominated areas. Then you watch as the Ottomans choke on the Noble empowered Forts in the Levant as Austria and Poland carve their way through Asia Minor.

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Well my last Re-reconquista run ended in tears when everyone declared on me at the same time, this one though is actually not going horribly. Yet.

By 1540 I had one province and was bankrupt, then I managed to get away from Portugal and Castile somehow and conquer a bunch of Indians. The plan is to expand North and South before Portugal figures out what's up, and then claw my way back.

Just waiting for the next disaster to strike, and I still haven't managed to Westernize :ohdear:

Does the new Historical AI rivalry thing prevent you from having the Castille vs Aragon clusterfuck over Navarre now?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Speaking of which, I noticed that in my game, all of the European powers aren't all constantly allied, which is pretty nice.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 18, 2015

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Thinking about the state of the game at the moment (and ignoring estates, which I feel just needs a bit of tweaking but are otherwise fun), about the only things I'm unhappy with are:

a) No horsetrading in peace deals. History is filled with far too many examples of "I'll give you this but you have to give me that" to make me happy with an all-dominance-or-all-defeat peace system.

b) Battles take way too long. Absurdly, ahistorically long. I'm tired of watching as armies walk across half of France in time to show up and save the day in my Somme-like multi-week campaigns in 1600. I don't like that I can do it to others either. Malplaquet and Waterloo each lasted a day. Leipzig in 1813 had over a half-million men and was over in four.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The Imperial Liberation CB being used to conquer stuff always makes thigns weird in my games. Austria shouldn't randomly have like enclaves everywhere and have this considered proper HREing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gorelab posted:

The Imperial Liberation CB being used to conquer stuff always makes thigns weird in my games. Austria shouldn't randomly have like enclaves everywhere and have this considered proper HREing.

Eh,

I feel you but the HRE having really hosed up borders isn't exactly ahistorical.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Xotl posted:

b) Battles take way too long. Absurdly, ahistorically long. I'm tired of watching as armies walk across half of France in time to show up and save the day in my Somme-like multi-week campaigns in 1600. I don't like that I can do it to others either. Malplaquet and Waterloo each lasted a day. Leipzig in 1813 had over a half-million men and was over in four.

I always figured they were supposed to be an abstraction of a series of battles across the province in question, not a single field battle.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Eh,

I feel you but the HRE having really hosed up borders isn't exactly ahistorical.

I'd be slightly more okay if it generally wasn't Austria using that one CB. Also I have no idea how Austria can core Pomerania without any land between the two either.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fintilgin posted:

I always figured they were supposed to be an abstraction of a series of battles across the province in question, not a single field battle.

That's how I always thought of it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bold Robot posted:

No wonder it doesn't exist any more :colbert:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

No wonder small mercy it doesn't exist any more

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

God, just imagine World War 1 and 2 if the HRE was still around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Xotl posted:

Thinking about the state of the game at the moment (and ignoring estates, which I feel just needs a bit of tweaking but are otherwise fun), about the only things I'm unhappy with are:

a) No horsetrading in peace deals. History is filled with far too many examples of "I'll give you this but you have to give me that" to make me happy with an all-dominance-or-all-defeat peace system.

My thoughts exactly. Horsetrading is tricky just because it's really hard to teach the AI what deals it should and shouldn't accept, but as long as only other provinces could offset province cost it might work. And of course you have to stop the player from trying to give it's allies land away to enable their gains.

I too am super sick of the way battles work. I have no issue with battles being abstracted to taking place over multiple days, but as it is they take so long that people can and will march across whole continents to enter an ongoing battle. That's a really dumb meta. I'd much rather see serious supply line mechanics and more isolated battles.

Bold Robot posted:

Eh,

The thing that's hosed up is the way Austria will immediately conquer it's way across southern Germany to link up with Briesgau, and that the HRE doesn't do poo poo about it. There's no way they should be able to do that and hold the Imperial crown. Them using Imperial CBs to conquer stuff on the northern coast isn't a lot better either. Give the Emperor permanent access to HRE lands (which he already has while at war), and disable the code that makes AI countries try to link themselves up if their capital is in the HRE.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm not a fan of estates because they don't really create many interesting choices. There is a pretty clear optimal route and it just creates another set of numbers I have to babysit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snatch Duster posted:

you have autism estates are fine

they're not bad, they just really don't add much to the game

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I still haven't figured out how to set a province as "I'm interested in owning this"

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So I still haven't figured out how to set a province as "I'm interested in owning this"

Go to your diplomacy screen, furthest tab to the right. Then just click on the provinces.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
If I want to play an Austria game where I unite the HRE, how important is keeping Italy in the empire? I tried once before and it was just an AE filled slog. Can I just let Italy do its thing?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I think the cossacks might have gotten a little too enthusiastic about Catholicism.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
First time playing outside Europe: what's the strategy on dealing with big tropical jungle forts? My force limits aren't that high, so it seems like if I get bad luck with disease (which seems to happen every time, is there a tropical bonus for it or something?) my stack will get murdered by attrition before the fort can fall (it starts at like -70%).

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Got a great selection of advisors just now:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Got a great selection of advisors just now:

...does that last guy have an alias?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Strudel Man posted:

He is an artist, those guys loved aliases.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

The more important question is, what is it? It is tail something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Michault le Caron aka Tailsluver430xxx

Putting your deviantart handle on your resume is getting popular.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Redmark posted:

First time playing outside Europe: what's the strategy on dealing with big tropical jungle forts? My force limits aren't that high, so it seems like if I get bad luck with disease (which seems to happen every time, is there a tropical bonus for it or something?) my stack will get murdered by attrition before the fort can fall (it starts at like -70%).

My solution to this is to keep a vassal around (doesn't have to be the same one, you can absorb and then acquire a new one as needed) that will attach to one of your stacks and ruin their own manpower for you. The level 3 forts are a huge pain if you haven't gotten cannons yet.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

If I want to play an Austria game where I unite the HRE, how important is keeping Italy in the empire? I tried once before and it was just an AE filled slog. Can I just let Italy do its thing?

Not at all important. Keeping them in is a ton of effort that's better spent elsewhere.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Just a shame it's not one of the other names available.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

I too am super sick of the way battles work. I have no issue with battles being abstracted to taking place over multiple days, but as it is they take so long that people can and will march across whole continents to enter an ongoing battle. That's a really dumb meta. I'd much rather see serious supply line mechanics and more isolated battles.
This often gets my goat. That and recruiting generals and getting a super lovely one. I would love it if I spent 50 mil points for a general the RNG would give me three and I had to pick one. Simple as that gives you a much better chance of not getting hosed by the RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Muscovy got sick and this neat Orthodox horde emerged:

It has a couple problems, though. Like not having any ruler names.

It also doesn't exist at all in the game files. Did rebels create a custom nation?

• Locked thread