Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Liberals are the real racists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

EXAKT Science posted:

Liberals are the real racists

I believe the preferred term is "bleeding heart loony lefties" :colbert:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Guys, I'm starting to think those UPF guys with swastika tattoos might be the real racists.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

hooman posted:

Guys, I'm starting to think those UPF guys with swastika tattoos might be the real racists.

Political Correctness gone mental itt

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

EXAKT Science posted:

Treating people with respect gone mental itt

I love this addon

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If everyone was dead there wouldn't be any racism.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Policy speculation station:

I was checking out the "Breakthrough Energy Coalition" aka Bill Gates & billionaires vs climate change page and noticed the "Mission Innovation" group that Turnbull signed us up for. Then more reading on the Australian renewable energy scene. I'd be interested in the opinions of better informed people.

This is speculation but given Elon Musk is not among the Breakthrough Energy Coalition it's possible that we're seeing a division between centralized energy solutions (including nuclear :ssh:) and decentralized home battery type solutions which are doing well in Australia despite a pause this year.

So, after Paris it's hard to imagine the 2016 election not being about energy policy. Most likely the conservative and News Ltd strategy will be to wedge Greens on nuclear as a carbon solution. So expect many more articles and frothing comments like these two:

https://newmatilda.com/2015/12/17/batteries-and-bulldust-why-living-off-the-grid-is-not-as-green-as-you-think/

https://newmatilda.com/2015/12/17/nuclear-power-in-australia-too-slow-too-expensive-too-dirty-and-too-dangerous/

Meanwhile the Coalition will also be wedged depending on how Turnbull manages things. Making for a promising outlook for the ALP but they'll have to shorten their expectations sooner or later.

The article winning the Douglas Adams appreciation award for me went to this little piece about the Kennedy Energy Park project - a well planned and modular proposal to ultimately build the biggest wind and solar plant in the southern hemisphere in North Queensland. It has the backing of Toyota (who are also backing Teslas Gigafactory in Nevada) and local hero Bob Katter is on board. But the unhappy movements of two small pieces of paper have stopped it in its tracks - RECs and PPAs.

You can make a case that the price of Australian Renewable Energy Certificates have sufficiently recovered to be of use but the question of Xstrata's refusal to issue a PPA to Windlabs is a bellwether of change from Abbott to Turnbull, if there is any. If there's an energy debate the story of Kennedy Energy Park deserves much more public awareness.

The Kennedy Energy Park story got me wondering if there is a global regulator for Renewable Energy Certificates? Since the market can be trashed by oversupply then isn't that an obvious mechanism for a government hostile to renewables yet needing to appear otherwise to sabotage the local carbon economy? If a hypothetical Coalition government sought to appease it's coal lobbyists with a rigged REC system could it then also try and wedge the Greens and ALP by positing "It's either RECs with us or a great big carbon tax with them"?

So that's my current prediction - Turnbull will push for a bullshit REC regime with nuclear as a B plan. He'll rely on the media to pursue the two wedge questions and if that seems to be working he'll call an election. No doubt I've missed something.

The Grattan Institute has just put out a working paper on climate policy - Lucy Turnbull is on the board. Here is the summary policy options:

For what it's worth I reckon RECs could work if managed in good faith or globally regulated - doesn't seem to be happening in Australia though. I'm also not opposed to nuclear given the state of climate change although I would way prefer to see projects like Kennedy Energy Park go ahead as they seem to go ahead in California. Again, doesn't seem to happen in Australia.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

#thereAlcoholBloodContent posted:

Adelaide driver William Graham accidentally ran over and killed drunk man on road

An Adelaide driver who accidentally ran over and killed a drunk man has avoided jail but has been ordered to maintain a shrine to the victim.

William Graham, 21, of West Lakes Shore, dragged Malcolm Gollan under his car for more than 70 metres along Hardy Street at Rosewater.

The District Court heard he then reversed over the man, steered around the body and left the accident scene.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birb Katter posted:

White dude runs over indigenous man (Who was lying in the road drunk) fails to render aid at the scene and flees, is let off.
This is one of those wicked problems where no answer is going to be right and there are plenty of gut feeling knee jerk reactions possible. Having said that, I'm going to gut feeling knee jerk react and say if it had been an indigenous driver and a white man I seriously doubt the result would have been the same if for no other reason than the indigenous man was more likely to have an existing criminal record. In all the circumstances it was probably the right outcome but it certainly doesn't look good.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
that punishment is some numpty bullshit - let him off or not, making someone "maintain a shrine" is pukeworthy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Come on, I know one of you goons can post that Bill Leak article. I want to know who the real racists are!

Entertain me!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

One day you'll have to learn how to do this yourself.

quote:

I don’t know an associate professor of sociology at Macquarie University called Amanda Wise, but she knows me. She knows me so well, in fact, that she’s not only able to tell me what my cartoons mean, but she’s also able to tell me what I was thinking while I was drawing them.

There I was, naively thinking that if I drew a group of poor Indian people trying to eat solar panels contained in parcels sent to them by the UN anyone seeing the cartoon would assume it meant the people in it were hungry. But, no. What I thought I was thinking wasn’t what I was thinking at all. According to Ms Wise, my “unequivocally racist” cartoon drew on “very base stereotypes of third world, underdeveloped people who don’t know what to do with technology”.

These and other startling revelations were included in an article by Amanda Meade in The Guardian on Monday. As well as being sternly reminded by the shocked Ms Wise that my cartoon would be unacceptable in Britain, the US and Canada (heaven forbid!), I was also told my cartoon was “racist” by no less an authority than Yin Paradies of Deakin University, whose research includes the economic effects of racism.

Professor Paradies didn’t think I’d made the people in my cartoon look hungry, either, but rather, in my own twisted, racist way, I’d managed to portray not only them but the entire population of India as “too stupid to handle renewable energy”.

More: Let them eat solar cells

I’ve been reliably informed my cartoon also triggered a hostile response from the sanctimonious but bloodthirsty mob who spend their time trawling the internet looking for anything they find offensive to provide them with an opportunity to join the orgy of competitive compassion and moral grandstanding that is Twitter.

Such people, understandably, are probably on a bit of a high at the moment having just spent a couple of weeks watching heroic and revered climate scientists such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn and Robert Redford spouting a series of hypocritical platitudes in Paris that culminated in world leaders signing up to an agreement to meet again in five years so they can sign another one, thereby saving the world from an impending environmental catastrophe. Again. No wonder they’re angry. First chance I get I spoil the party by reminding them that, back here, in the real world, there are billions of people who not only lack food, health, water and education, but also have no access to electricity, and more than 20 per cent of them live in India.

And there’s something obscene about the fact that there are billions of others who’ve had all those things all their coal-power-driven lives and they’re now distributing solar panels to the world’s poor because they think that provides a virtuous, if inadequate, form of electricity for which they should be grateful. I think that’s racist, I think it’s condescending, and I think it’s immoral. But it’s also the truth, and when an impertinent cartoonist dares to tell the truth these days he’d better watch out because telling the truth is a dangerously subversive thing to do.

It has the same ability to simultaneously shock some people while amusing others that four-letter words used to have when Lenny Bruce discovered he could use them to such devastating effect that his audiences would still be laughing while he was being dragged offstage by the police and arrested for obscenity.

In court, Bruce argued he was being denied his right to freedom of speech, and so he was. But I can’t help thinking he had it easy, living at a time when the only people who had to stand up for their rights to freedom of speech were comedians who wanted to say f. k in public.

And not only that, but the only people he had to worry about offending were undercover coppers in the audience whose job it was to be offended so they could arrest him for doing his job.

These days, the undercover policemen in the audience waiting for him to swear would be the least of his worries. They’d be outnumbered 100 to one by members of the Politically Correct Thought Police Task Force, all armed with iPhones and Twitter accounts, ready to pounce the moment he said something that might not necessarily offend them but could, potentially, offend someone else.

There’s no doubt the cartoon I drew for Monday’s paper offended a lot of people. While they might not have enjoyed looking at it, I’m quite sure they enjoyed using it as an excuse to parade their moral vanity.

And, while I prefer to discover there are people who think my cartoons are funny, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t derive a certain amount of pleasure from discovering they enrage the ones that don’t.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
. First chance I get I spoil the party by reminding them that, back here, in the real world, there are billions of people who not only lack food, health, water and education, but also have no access to electricity, and more than 20 per cent of them live in India.

And there’s something obscene about the fact that there are billions of others who’ve had all those things all their coal-power-driven lives and they’re now distributing solar panels to the world’s poor because they think that provides a virtuous, if inadequate, form of electricity for which they should be grateful. I think that’s racist

Ahahahahahhaha

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

freebooter posted:

What is it with rightwingers chucking tantrums about opposing viewpoints?

Like, I doubt anybody here is a fan of the Bolt Report, but do we wage consistent campaigns to try to get it off air? If I were to say it should be pulled from air it's because Bolt is populist, not because he's conservative.

It fits their narrative that there's a lefty conspiracy and they're being victimised, when in fact they're simply intolerant of other viewpoints and assume there's an agenda behind it. It's projection onto others of how they operate themselves, which they cannot recognise or their brains would explode from the bullshit. I'm no sociologist but it seems like a group version of the tension in an idealist who needs to tame the inner conflict by destroying outside "enemies".

Cf. Bill Leak above, what a victim eh, just a poor misunderstood racist cartoonist.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 18, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imho it would be good if bill leak died. no offence intended.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bill Leak posted:

There’s no doubt the cartoon I drew for Monday’s paper offended a lot of people. While they might not have enjoyed looking at it, I’m quite sure they enjoyed using it as an excuse to parade their moral vanity.

And, while I prefer to discover there are people who think my cartoons are funny, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t derive a certain amount of pleasure from discovering they enrage the ones that don’t.

Bill Leak unintentionally summarising himself in the worst possible way.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Anidav posted:

Come on, I know one of you goons can post that Bill Leak article. I want to know who the real racists are!

Entertain me!

I'll tell you what's racist!
(Bill Leak)

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

I'll tell you what's racist! {bill leak}

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

MonoAus posted:

I'll tell you what's racist! {bill leak}

:hfive:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

open24hours posted:

One day you'll have to learn how to do this yourself.

hello i am an unabashed fuckhead please ignore my opinions

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

hello i am an unabashed fuckhead please ignore my opinions
They were just making a snarky remark about posting stuff from the Arsetralian while quoting a very 'interesting' article by an unabashed fuckhead who you should pillory at every opportunity. Now if that was your intention (to pillory Leak) then you probably should look at making sure the context is clearer.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
gently caress, it's hot.

The old mercury hit 40 degrees today where I am, and it was one of the rare occasions I decided to leave my motorbike and enjoy my air-conditioned car.

It sucks knowing that most politicians will be sleeping very well in their condos with expensive air-con, so I can't even get all smug knowing that they are as uncomfortable as I...

poo poo-stain is my favourite word for politicians who should not in fact, be politicians.

This post is meaningless, the content I was originally going to post was lost in my heat-riddled brain, it is desperately time for a Friday beverage.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

clusterfuck posted:

Policy speculation station:

I was checking out the "Breakthrough Energy Coalition" aka Bill Gates & billionaires vs climate change page and noticed the "Mission Innovation" group that Turnbull signed us up for. Then more reading on the Australian renewable energy scene. I'd be interested in the opinions of better informed people.

This is speculation but given Elon Musk is not among the Breakthrough Energy Coalition it's possible that we're seeing a division between centralized energy solutions (including nuclear :ssh:) and decentralized home battery type solutions which are doing well in Australia despite a pause this year.

Breakthrough Energy Coalition and Musk are at odds in a sense because they are focusing on different things. Breakthrough is funding nascent research, while Musk is producing and selling mature technology. But if Breakthrough invested in a more efficient battery technology that could be mass produced, I don't think Musk would be opposed to selling it.

There isn't so much a division between centralised and decentralised energy, as there is a trend to go off the grid. Decentralised power fundamentally does not work because we generate and consumer orders of magnitude more power, then we are able to store. Even the most optimistic plans to completely replace power generation with renewables all rely on a national grid. This is because it is more efficient to send excess power to regions facing a energy shortfall, then it is to maintain an appropriately sized bank of batteries in every home and business.

The more important part regarding climate change is the generation of power, not its distribution. Besides, I've never seen the case made for why onsite-solar/wind + battery is more environmentally sound than onsite-solar/wind + grid. Usually it is for reasons such as not supporting the energy industry, a lifestyle choice, or that its cheaper over the long term. The environmental impact of running copper lines vs. banks of batteries doesn't seem like something anyone actually thinks about while discussing going off the grid.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Was it the last page where we were talking about how state governments are in the pocket of property developers?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/waterloo-chosen-over-sydney-university-as-site-for-new-metro-train-station-20151215-gloiu2.html

quote:

Waterloo chosen over Sydney University as site for new metro train station

Public housing towers in Waterloo will be bulldozed as part of a major urban renewal project over the next 20 years to accommodate 30,000 extra residents in 10,000 new dwellings around a railway station.

The redevelopment is one of the most ambitious in Sydney's history, rivalling Green Square, which is undergoing a transformation on industrial land a little to the east of Waterloo.

Announcing the plan, Premier Mike Baird said 13 hectares of land owned by the government and mainly used for public housing would be turned into a mixed-housing precinct with 10,000 dwellings. About a third will be for social and affordable housing, and the rest available for private dwellings.

The entire development will eventually cover about 40 hectares. Private landowners within an 800-metre radius of the proposed new Waterloo station, which will form part of the Sydney metro line, are likely to see their land rezoned for high and medium density.

This is likely to include the light industrial area along Botany Road and around McEvoy Street.

But landowners who find their properties rezoned for high rise can expect to pay a "value capture fee", which will be used to help pay for the public transport.

Mr Baird denied the project would result in the gentrification of the area at the expense of public housing tenants and pledged that there would be no loss of social housing from the current 2000 dwellings.

"Every single tenant will have the right to come back," he said, adding that efforts will be made to accommodate them in the area during the redevelopment.

Fairfax Media understands the government plans to begin the rebuild in areas with lower densities, such as the three-storey walk-ups, and replace them with higher density accommodation – before demolishing the two 30-storey towers in the Waterloo housing estate where 4000 social housing tenants live in blocks between Wellington and Phillip streets.

The housing estate dates back to the 1950s and includes four 16-storey buildings, and a large number of two- and three-storey blocks owned by the state's Land and Housing Corporation.

The exact site for the train station within the precinct has yet to be determined.

The selection of Waterloo dashes the ambitions of Sydney University for a new station to be built on its campus.

While Sydney University had considerably more commuters, Mr Baird said the government had favoured Waterloo because a new station offered a chance to revitalise the suburb.

An environmental impact statement for the new metro station is expected to be released in the middle of next year, and construction is due to begin in early 2018.

Social Housing Minister Brad Hazzard said some residents of the housing estate at Waterloo would need to move to nearby accommodation but many would be able to relocate to new social housing as the redevelopment progresses in stages over the next two decades.

"I can assure Waterloo tenants that if they want to remain in Waterloo after the redevelopment, they can do so," he said. "It will be done in a calm and considered way."

The first relocations are expected to occur in the middle of 2017. About 9 per cent of the properties at the housing estate have new tenants each year.

The location of the new train station is the final major piece of the second stage of the Sydney metro line between Chatswood and Sydenham via the CBD.

While the Airport Line runs under Waterloo to the CBD, Transport Minister Andrew Constance said it would have been "too costly and very disruptive" to build a new station for an existing underground line.

Sydney University had made a concerted effort for a station for the metro line to be constructed on its campus, proposing a $1.5 billion "knowledge hub" comprising retail stores, offices and research facilities.

However, the government's property arm, UrbanGrowth, pushed for a new station at Waterloo.

Troy Daly, program director of Central to Eveleigh for Urban Growth, said the planning and design of the project would be highly collaborative.

"We want this to be an example of smart city planning," he said. "It will be an area where the choice is not to have a car because the transport and services are so good. It will be one of the most walkable areas in Sydney."

Construction of new buildings is not expected to begin until 2018.

Once the planning is complete, it is likely the area will be split up into 20 or so super-blocks, which would then be put to tender for the private sector to redevelop.

Greens transport spokeswoman Mehreen Faruqi said the government should not be using the Sydney metro line as an excuse to overdevelop the area.

"Population is set to grow by tens of thousands around this area, and we need to make transport decisions and build transport connections based on people's needs, not on the interests of property developers," she said.

Developer group Urban Taskforce said Waterloo was the right location for the station but it was concerned that the government had proposed a contribution tax of $20,000 for each new apartment.

"Any further taxing of new homes will be passed directly onto new purchasers," the group's chief executive, Chris Johnson, said.
tl;dr: don't build the train where people need to go, build it where we can justify demolish public housing and profit from new development.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
That Leak article is some amazing qq. "Police? I wish I only had to deal with police, now I have to deal with academics calling me names and that's 10000000% worse!"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tokamak posted:

The more important part regarding climate change is the generation of power, not its distribution. Besides, I've never seen the case made for why onsite-solar/wind + battery is more environmentally sound than onsite-solar/wind + grid. Usually it is for reasons such as not supporting the energy industry, a lifestyle choice, or that its cheaper over the long term. The environmental impact of running copper lines vs. banks of batteries doesn't seem like something anyone actually thinks about while discussing going off the grid.
In my experience the decision to go off-grid is always economic due to the expense of getting connected to the power grid. Connection prices of $100 000 are not uncommon. That buys a shirt load of battery. Environmentally you don't have the fire hazard, visual pollution and component manufacture impacts of the poles and wire but get a big pile of sometimes very short life batteries. Because batteries are expensive (not compared to getting connected however) and the less power you use the less you need, going off grid solar really makes people get hyper energy efficient. This extends to issues like insulation, building alignment and size. Apparently the average household uses ~ 3 MWh per year/per person. Off grid solar users are consuming around a tenth of that. On that basis it's pretty fair to say, in practice, off grid solar is more environmentally friendly than grid connected.

Sources

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4670.0main+features100052012

http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/Home/For_Consumers/Compare_Energy_Offers/Typical_household_energy_use

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/big-battery-bank-need-run-house-83800.html <-Comedy option.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

xPanda posted:

Was it the last page where we were talking about how state governments are in the pocket of property developers?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/waterloo-chosen-over-sydney-university-as-site-for-new-metro-train-station-20151215-gloiu2.html

tl;dr: don't build the train where people need to go, build it where we can justify demolish public housing and profit from new development.

Yeah, I was pretty appalled by this. 2.5k people made homeless because it's inner city property for no reason but greed. I can see not building a station at USYD because it's already at a pretty major station but that has nothing to do with the greed of what they're doing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

That Leak article is some amazing qq. "Police? I wish I only had to deal with police, now I have to deal with academics calling me names and that's 10000000% worse!"

"free speech is when I get to say all the racist poo poo I want and nobody else is allowed to point out that I'm a racist poo poo :qq:"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

In my experience the decision to go off-grid

maaaate

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

"free speech is when I get to say all the racist poo poo I want and nobody else is allowed to point out that I'm a racist poo poo :qq:"

Hate speech is when people point out I'm saying racist poo poo.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Didn't people on twitter post a bunch of Leak cartoons that were inarguably racist? I mean it's a bit rich to say you were called out for the wrong reason when you've got a pattern of doing. Boy who cried something-something.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
His train of thought doesn't start with "Am I a racist?" and go through analysis and thought to determine an answer.
It starts with "I'm not a racist" and then makes finds reasons to draw that conclusion.

That's because he understands "racist" as meaning "bad" not as meaning "racist".

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Birb Katter posted:

Yeah, I was pretty appalled by this. 2.5k people made homeless because it's inner city property for no reason but greed. I can see not building a station at USYD because it's already at a pretty major station but that has nothing to do with the greed of what they're doing.

There isn't any train station at Usyd.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

xPanda posted:

The $650mil upgrade to Kingsford Smith Drive in Brisbane (the one that no one wants, including RACQ) is being built by Lend Lease, who are on the new list of companies that don't pay tax. So yes, everything is a rort.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

xPanda posted:

There isn't any train station at Usyd.

It's 500m from Redfern station, just because it's not on your side of campus doesn't mean it's not there Bargearse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

SynthOrange posted:

Anidav posted:

loving :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Abbott's battles with Assad and Terrorists were conducted with gloves on to create a crowd pleasing show while reducing the chance of inflicting real damage. A scathing critique.

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 18, 2015

• Locked thread