Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MisterBibs posted:

That's the thing for me; I legitimately have no idea if we're supposed to treat Kylo Ren as a joke or not. I don't care if its him having a lightsaber hissy fit, complaining to Vader's helmet, or crying to his dad about being torn, they were all intensely comedic scenes and I'm reasonably sure I wasn't supposed to be.

It's hard for the one where he cries to his dad about being torn to be comedic for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yo is there any particularly killer track on the OST that I should check out before seeing the movie? The equivalent of Duel of the Fates or that love song or anything?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I also thought this was good but a bit too referency. It's just such a weird feeling to see a new Star Wars movie that wasn't total dogshit. Feels like my mind hasn't processed it yet.

Some rear end in a top hat from my showing yelled out HAN DIES to the line for the next showing.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Just got back from watching the movie. It was fantastic overall, but Jesus does Leia sound like she's been smoking three packs a day for thirty years. Kylo Ren was pretty great, although for a few moments I was distracted by a random thought of J.P. from Grandma's Boy.

The new trilogy is definitely in good hands.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

zandert33 posted:

They literally had a comic relief moment of the stormtroopers hearing the tantrum and turning the other way
You had a hard time understanding how you are supposed to take Kylo? I don't think you were paying attention.

The problem is that every scene with Kylo has that sort of comic relief, and I'm reasonably sure I'm not supposed to be laughing at at significant percentage of them.

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's hard for the one where he cries to his dad about being torn to be comedic for obvious reasons.

You didn't find that scene funny? I was in stiches.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Yo is there any particularly killer track on the OST that I should check out before seeing the movie? The equivalent of Duel of the Fates or that love song or anything?

No, I think John Williams is past giving a poo poo.

MisterBibs posted:

The problem is that every scene with Kylo has that sort of comic relief, and I'm reasonably sure I'm not supposed to be laughing at at significant percentage of them.

You didn't find that scene funny? I was in stiches.

Have you considered maybe the problem is not with the movie but with you being an idiot?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

MisterBibs posted:

He's essentially a school shooter. Simultaneously pathetic and menacing.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Thinking back to the creatures on Jakku, did they intentionally make some of them kind of bad to match the feel of the OT? To give an example, that space vulture at the very start had a range of movement was very obviously just a rod on a pivot. I found them very endearing, and i vastly preferred them to poo poo like the groundhog in Crystal Skull, but i thought animatronics were better than that in this day and age, so i was wondering if it was a stylistic choice.

CJ fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 18, 2015

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

MisterBibs posted:

His unpredictability is what makes him especially dangerous. It was one of my favorite things about the movie - not that those scenes were amusing, but that they made him even MORE menacing.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
For me Kylo Ren is kind of the epitome of trying too hard to be Dark Side. He's super emotional, entitled, selfish, terrified of his own failure, trying to use pain to make up for his lack of strength in a pinch etc.

Seeing Kylo's youthful impetuousness and impulsive anger are not just intentional, but integral to the way the character fits into the story as we've seen it so far.

What I really want to see is more of how Snoke managed to seduce Kylo, telling him stories about Anakin, or framing the Galactic Civil War the same way Palpatine did to Anakin (The Jedi/Rebellion are betraying the Republic/Empire and therefore are actually the evil ones and need to be destroyed)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Danger posted:

FYAD isn't a spoiler as Lucas revealed that years ago, noted in one of the greatest CD posts of all time.

Are you serious? I wouldn't mind more explanation on this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's essentially a school shooter. Simultaneously pathetic and menacing.

When is he menacing? He fails at everything he does. For there to be menace, there has to be the chance he'll successfully do something. I'm pretty sure if he tried force-choking someone, the victim would turn neon green instead.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

CJ posted:

Thinking back to the creatures on Jakku, did they intentionally make some of them kind of bad to match the feel of the OT? To give an example, that space culture at the very start had a range of movement was very obviously just a rod on a pivot. I found them very endearing, and i vastly preferred them to poo poo like the groundhog in Crystal Skull, but i thought animatronics were better than that in this day and age, so i was wondering if it was a stylistic choice.

Definitely seemed like an intentional thing. Felt like some of the aliens were Halloween masks too.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

MisterBibs posted:

When is he menacing? He fails at everything he does. For there to be menace, there has to be the chance he'll successfully do something. I'm pretty sure if he tried force-choking someone, the victim would turn neon green instead.

are you saying his menace has kind of a...phantom quality to it?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

MisterBibs posted:

Literally the first scene in the film is him destroying a village, executing some guy and capturing the best pilot in the resistance.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Danger posted:

The inclusion of David Cross's character lamenting his exhaustion was a bit much to include, but good to finally hear the titular line.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I can't wait for an animated gif of Kylo wrecking the poo poo out of consoles with his light saber.

There's nothing scarier than a crazy person with a laser sword.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Definitely seemed like an intentional thing. Felt like some of the aliens were Halloween masks too.

I wonder why Constable Zuvio got cut. Maybe too cgi?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Literally the first scene in the film is him destroying a village, stabbing some guy and capturing the best pilot in the resistance.

No, his soldiers destroy a village and capture the best pilot in the resistance. He cuts down an old, unarmed dude, who his soldiers bring to him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

When is he menacing? He fails at everything he does. For there to be menace, there has to be the chance he'll successfully do something.

Again, toddler with a loaded gun.

He's powerful even if he makes poor choices or fucks poo poo up. He paralyzes both Poe and Rey in two separate scenes with a wave of his hand and takes them prisoner. He can freeze blaster bolts in midair. He tortures Poe's brain, despite it looking like attempts to torture his body have failed, into revealing that his droid has the map. We have every reason to believe he would've both done the exact same thing to Rey and also defeated Finn and Rey handily if it weren't for Rey having super force user plot powers that make her a natural just like Anakin and Luke.

I'll put it another way: by your standards, why is Darth Vader intimidating in A New Hope? He fails to capture the Death Star plans at the beginning, can't intimidate Leia until he blows up her entire planet right in front of her (using a superweapon he didn't build that gets blown up with one shot at the end), only gets the chance to confront Luke and Obi Wan because they literally fly right into his base, only kills Obi Wan because he stops fighting, follows that up by immediately failing to capture (among others) a farmboy, a noblewoman, and a protocol droid despite being a Sith Lord and having what is supposed to be the most powerful army in the galaxy all around him, then gets utterly punked in the final space battle by a potshot from a smuggler in a junker.

He fails all the time because it's a sci-fi adventure movie for families and he's the bad guy.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
First 2/3 felt like a marvel movie, to include space pirates and pirate castles and barely explained logic of the state of the republic / first order / resistance

That said, loved it.

Also so much blatant telling (as opposed to showing) - OUR SON OUR SON OUR SON OUR SON

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Are you serious? I wouldn't mind more explanation on this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462468&pagenumber=727&perpage=40#post408124622

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

If I had to use one word to describe the movie, it would be FUN. I've never enjoyed seeing a new Star Wars as much as that one. I could've sat down and watched it again right then and there.

SO much to talk about!

The feeling I got wasn't just star wars either. I totally felt a Raiders of the Lost Ark vibe at the beginning, and there was even that kind of essence you would get from an old-school LucasArts game.

Some random rear end in a top hat on the internet spoiled HOW Han Solo died when I was reading a tweet about the NFL game being played tonight, so as soon as it was revealed that Kylo Ren was the child of Han and Leia, I knew he was dead. Oh well.

All the new main characters are great. Every single one of them. And for everyone laughing and not feeling threatened by Kylo Ren, he's totally not supposed to be the overwhelming evil presence that people say he is. Rey even says that much in the interrogation scene. There are greater forces at work that are more dangerous and sinister.

I also love the feeling about how everything in the universe is something that is treated as normal and taken for granted. That really is the 2nd half of making a used universe work.

I also had people in my group that though Starkiller Base was destroying the Republic senate and whatnot, and I totally didn't get that. I assumed it was just some populated planets that they were demonstrating on ala Alderaan.

So what did they take from the EU? A descendant of Anakin Skywalker named Ben, a large planet like station that drew power from a star? There were some others but I can't think of them

I also found myself not paying that much attention to the visual effects quality, or any lack of it. I was so engrossed by the characters that I didn't care to pay attention.

The best reference in the movie to me was the lightsaber in the snow. It was IDENTICAL to how it was in Empire when Luke was in the wampa cave.

The very first line of the crawl took care of some business big time by saying "Luke Skywalker has vanished." Also they managed to make him the central, most important figure in the movie and yet he had seconds of screentime and no lines. That's an impressive feat.

One last thing, and that's a nitpick that I thought about on the drive home: How does the light from the starkiller base reach the other planet so quickly? It should be years before they're able to witness it, right?

EDIT: One last thing that I loved: The way most things from the OT were introduced was stellar too. Instead of having this big operatic reveal, they just popped onto scene and they went on with their business. Falcon was literally a pan to the right, Han Solo just ran onto the scene, and C-3p0 just butted in right in front of Han's face. Once the nostalgia part wears off, those parts are gonna work so well because they don't make a huge production out of revealing them.

Fred Breakfast fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 18, 2015

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This movie is exactly, exactly what you'd expect from a JJ Abrams/Disney multibillion franchise joint.

It's funny to me that what I assume is prequel-induced aversion to ANY kind of political exposition means that this one's setting is borderline incoherent. Like, Star Wars 1 had fairly limited exposition, but it did have SOME, and it all made sense.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 18, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

He stops an ion blast in midair to massacre a village, tears secrets directly from someone's mind, and pulls a force choke into a real choke.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kylo Ren is trying so hard to be Darth Vader that he is squandering his natural abilities. He's a telepath of unparalleled subtlety and he can freeze a blaster bolt in midair, but he tries to swordfight instead and (partly because of his wounds) gets his rear end kicked by an amateur. He doesn't even need the mask.

Fans were disappointed that Anakin Skywalker wasn't cool like Darth Vader. But now his grandson is trying to be cool like Darth Vader, and failing, because nobody can be as cool as Darth Vader. Even Darth Vader is only cool because you can't see his pain in his face or hear it in his voice. Kylo Ren has forged for himself the same kind of chains that his grandfather was forced into. I got the impression that he could just tell Snoke to gently caress off if he wanted to. Really interested to learn what Snoke's deal is. This is a movie that will become more interesting in retrospect, just like all of its predecessors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm not afraid of a toddler with a loaded gun. I'm afraid for the toddler with a loaded gun. Because toddlers are toddlers. They don't do things right as a matter of fact.

I'll put it another way: by your standards, why is Darth Vader intimidating in A New Hope?

One of the first scenes Vader is in, he's threatening someone by holding the dude by his throat, and audibly crushes it. Someone mouths off to him at a meeting, and he nearly kills him with a hand motion. In the climax of the film, he's seconds away from shooting Our Hero before another ship comes in. Ultimately, you believe that the dude can Get poo poo Done.

There's nothing remotely similar for Kylo; at no point do I have any faith in his competence.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not afraid of a toddler with a loaded gun. I'm afraid for the toddler with a loaded gun. Because toddlers are toddlers. They don't do things right as a matter of fact.

One of the first scenes Vader is in, he's threatening someone by holding the dude by his throat, and audibly crushes it. Someone mouths off to him at a meeting, and he nearly kills him with a hand motion. In the climax of the film, he's seconds away from shooting Our Hero before another ship comes in. Ultimately, you believe that the dude can Get poo poo Done.

There's nothing remotely similar for Kylo; at no point do I have any faith in his competence.

It seems like the character you want is every Sith in every one of the other movies.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MisterBibs posted:

I think you're being contrarian for the sake of it at this point because he is intimidating up until the point he takes his mask off.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

porfiria posted:

This movie is exactly, exactly what you'd expect from a JJ Abrams/Disney multibillion franchise joint.

It's funny to me that what I assume is prequel-induced aversion to ANY kind of political exposition means that this one's setting is borderline incoherent. Like, Star Wars 1 had fairly limited exposition, but it did have SOME, and it all made sense.
This is something I felt was lacking too. Say what you want about the PT, but it did a decent job of building the setting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Wow that was aggressively mediocre. maybe it's because I'm not a star wars fan and had no expectations, but I sort of feel like a fan would hate it more.

Rey was ridiculously boring and Han Solo dying was laughable because you could see it a mile away. I almost regret going because it was so loud it hurt my ears. I don't even have any investment in or like the character so I'm not upset by the death even, just that it was so obvious that I guessed it as soon as they first revealed R SUN

Yeah my friends talked about how the idea was supposed to be that Ren is volatile and dangerous but unwieldy like a sith trainee would be or whatever.

Though he still loses to someone whose never held a lightsaber before.

MisterBibs posted:

No, his soldiers destroy a village and capture the best pilot in the resistance. He cuts down an old, unarmed dude, who his soldiers bring to him.

Who was that guy anyways?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I seriously loved this, more than I thought I could love a new Star Wars movie in the year 2015. This is the type of new Star Wars movie I hoped I would get as a kid that the prequels never gave me. I was captivated by all the new characters and environments. It had a ton of humor, I think more than the original trilogy even had, and it was great to see a Star Wars movie that was able to have so much fun with itself. Also the Stormtroopers finally felt capable for once and had sleeker weaponry, which I really dug, but this still felt grounded in the Star Wars universe. For example, the displays and buttons and knobs and such all evoked the original trilogy. And the crew charging the Starkiller weapon felt a lot like the crew charging the Death Star's weapon, which, that's probably a minor detail, but I appreciated it so much.

I don't even know what else to type right now. I'm so happy that this was so good. And I'm already looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow. It left me with so much to digest but also left me hungry for more.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CJ posted:

I think you're being contrarian for the sake of it at this point because he is intimidating up until the point he takes his mask off.

Are you forgetting that he has his helmet on during a lightsaber hissy fit?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prequels, symbolically as well as literally, were what was in between the original trilogy and these sequels. The failure of love and the corruption of noble ideals may have literally happened over 50 years prior, but they also happened about ten years ago. Luke witnessed the recurrence of the tragic cycle, witnessed the Jedi incubating the seeds of their own destruction. And that's why he secluded himself.

In this "trilogy of trilogies" structure, the third part consists of the Middle Way that reconciles the simplicity of the first part and its refutation by the second part. And the first part is, itself, simple. We can still believe, at the end of 2015, that the reason Kylo Ren helped the First Order hunt down the last of the Jedi Knights and betrayed and murdered somebody's father is merely because he was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. But anybody who's seen Star Wars before knows that's false. It's even exactly what Star Wars is about.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Got back from my 10:15PM screening here in Chicago and digested a few posts in this thread. I loved this movie. So hard. Acting was top notch, action was great, and those saber duels. Fuckin' aye. Those were immensely satisfying. Boyega owns. Kylo Ren owns. I also now want to see Daisy Ridley in everything; what a charmer she is on screen :allears: That said, I was fully expecting to see way more Oscar Issac, but wasn't disappointed because every scene he was in was great.. Domhnall Gleeson gives a pretty convincing Nazi-esque speech too, like gently caress, that delivery was so good. The new core cast is real, real solid and I'm super excited to see where we go from here.

Though, can someone confirm this for me... was Ben Solo training under Luke and then he turned to the dark side? Is that why Luke went into exile? I remember Leia saying something about how she should have had Ben train under Luke, because then he wouldn't have fallen. Or did she say something else? Was that in the opening crawl? I can't remember. I was way too jazzed (waving around my Kylo Ren toy lightsaber) to comprehend what I had read during the opening lol. I also might have missed something because I had to use the bathroom during or around that scene when Leia was lamenting her son with Han, which was bullshit because the bathroom was so loving far away from my auditorium. I was literally sprinting to and back from the bathroom, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 18, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

teagone posted:

Though, can someone confirm this for me...

The backstory goes something like this: Ben Solo is sent away from home to train with Luke Skywalker, who has other pupils at the time. At some point, he comes under the influence of Supreme Leader Snoke, who persuades him to renounce his family and join the First Order. He betrays and murders the other Jedi and helps the First Order hunt down the last of them, except for Luke, who goes into exile. This whole thing is so shocking to Han and Leia that they separate.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Another thing I really loving appreciated a whole lot: For a little while, I was dreading that the movie was going to end as Rey took off from the Republic base to go find Luke, that that would get saved until the next movie. But no! Her journey there wasn't dragged out forever like lesser movies might've done. She got there in a loving instant, met Luke and presented him with his saber. We got a look at him. He looked just how I wanted him to. And now in the next movie in the series, we'll get to see his reaction to the recent events of this movie, which I'm down with.

Keep these movies coming for years. I'm all in. No joke.

Bongo Bill posted:

The backstory goes something like this: Ben Solo is sent away from home to train with Luke Skywalker, who has other pupils at the time. At some point, he comes under the influence of Supreme Leader Snoke, who persuades him to renounce his family and join the First Order. He betrays and murders the other Jedi and helps the First Order hunt down the last of them, except for Luke, who goes into exile. This whole thing is so shocking to Han and Leia that they separate.
While I gathered that, what I want to know is who or what the gently caress is Snoke and how did he rise to power? Is he part of the Sith or something else entirely, and if it's the latter, then how did he take control of the First Order which was previously ruled by the Sith?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 18, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bongo Bill posted:

poo poo, was that in the movie? Haha. I guess if so that was the part I missed while in the bathroom. Thanks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The prequels, symbolically as well as literally, were what was in between the original trilogy and these sequels. The failure of love and the corruption of noble ideals may have literally happened over 50 years prior, but they also happened about ten years ago. Luke witnessed the recurrence of the tragic cycle, witnessed the Jedi incubating the seeds of their own destruction. And that's why he secluded himself.

In this "trilogy of trilogies" structure, the third part consists of the Middle Way that reconciles the simplicity of the first part and its refutation by the second part. And the first part is, itself, simple. We can still believe, at the end of 2015, that the reason Kylo Ren helped the First Order hunt down the last of the Jedi Knights and betrayed and murdered somebody's father is merely because he was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. But anybody who's seen Star Wars before knows that's false. It's even exactly what Star Wars is about.

Well we're going to learn more about Kylo's motivations in the second movie probably. But I do have a feeling that yes, it will be more or less because he was seduced by the dark side of the force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

MisterBibs posted:

One of the first scenes Vader is in, he's threatening someone by holding the dude by his throat, and audibly crushes it.

Other than the very first scene he's in, which is for all intents and purposes the exact same scene.

• Locked thread