Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

just do 20% and make it easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

seriously, most places I know pay their bartenders the same way they pay their servers so I am all for just using the same tipping baseline.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It'll change it up at a nice cocktail place, sure (generally dressed better too). But for a general bottle or quick draft order $1 seemed to be the standard.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

tipping is stupid and I wish it was gone.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Secret Spoon posted:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Secret Spoon posted:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
At the place I work at, we get 30% off alcoholic beverages, so I just tip the discount when I get drinks after work.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I struggled for a very, very, extremely long time trying to explain that "I tip the value of the discount" on our 50% food comp was tipping 50% to pretty much everyone I worked with in South Carolina. I'd always get "No, you have to tip based on the full price". Completely baffling.

I also had to explain to a future high school math teacher that evolution is a real thing that actually happened and that remaking a menu item because it's lovely doesn't cost the restaurant $Menu Price, but comping it because the customer hated it does. Never live in South Carolina.

e: also that Steven Colbert is joking.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 18, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I have had to explain to friends that they do, in fact, have to tip on the gift card.

God gently caress tipping cant I just make an hourly, it would make it so much easier to get a home.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Found a bottle of Percocet in the resto today, after getting called in on my day off.

Edit: did not belong to staff and was not a prescription bottle with a name on it.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 18, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Secret Spoon posted:

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly

Secret Spoon posted:

tipping is stupid. wish I found that bottle and was gone.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

What bottle?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
You guys should come over here where the only reason to leave tip is "wow, in the time it took to set down our plates that waitress also fixed my mom's bad back and gave my creepy uncle a telekinetic handjob, I'm pretty sure skills like that deserve a reward".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
gently caress that, who tips on a handjob?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress that, who tips on a handjob?

Just the tip.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nah tipping is cool and good.

Stop being cheap.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

A Man and his dog posted:

Nah tipping is cool and good.

Stop being cheap.

Their perspective is tipping sucks for the staff. And it does because it makes your income dependant on customers not being assholes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Their perspective is tipping sucks for the staff. And it does because it makes your income dependant on customers not being assholes.

All he knows is that tips make him more money than the cooks, and that as long as he can get down, everything's groovy.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
He doesn't understand what the discussion is actually about

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

He'd rather get $2 an hour and tips averaging out to $10 an hour instead of $15 an hour and no tips. Literally every time this conversation comes up a man and his dog demonstrates a willful misunderstanding of what people are arguing. Every goddamn time. Never mind the growing national cook shortage, never mind that it fosters sexual harassment, never mind that we are the only country that does this.

The only thing that matters is if you get down, I guess.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:grin:: "Hey, y'all still talkin bout tips? Jeez, these guys. Tips, they're grrreat! poo poo's awesome bro, namaste." :a2m:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Not even arguing with you guys. It's all good.

Have a great Friday night.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Not even arguing with you guys. It's all good.

Have a great Friday night.

I hear ya. Tipping sounds cool and good, but there are an actual huge array of issues with it. hope my service goes smoothly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Last night other servers were giving me condolences after receiving a $66 tip on a $696 bill.

The guy ordered a $600 bottle of wine and they had $96 worth of food. For a two top that spent a couple hours enjoying their meal and didn't require much attention, I'll take that drat $66 dollars.

That is why tipping is stupid.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
The more expensive a bottle of wine is, the bigger the server has to smile as they do the exact same work for twice the money.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don't order a $600 bottle of wine if you can't tip properly.

I miss being tipped, I used to make so much more money :/

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Disargeria posted:

The more expensive a bottle of wine is, the bigger the server has to smile as they do the exact same work for twice the money.

You're pretty dumb if you actually think this.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol the whole you have to kiss your tables rear end complex is hilarious to me.

My tables know pretty drat early that this isn't some pony show.

Let's get you your food and have a great day.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

On the rare occasion I go to bars, I tip $20 on the first drink and a couple bucks each thereafter. That way if I get bombed enough to forget tipping a few drinks in later, it's covered, and if I don't, well then hey the bartender is happy.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

He'd rather get $2 an hour and tips averaging out to $10 an hour instead of $15 an hour and no tips.

I see this argument a lot, and I agree with the $15/hr. But right now I spend a lot of time making $13/hr and $25/hr in tips.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Lol the whole you have to kiss your tables rear end complex is hilarious to me.

My tables know pretty drat early that this isn't some pony show.

Let's get you your food and have a great day.

That's 'cause you just hook the ranch dressing hose up to whatever piece of marlboro-smoked human jerky wanders in off the beach.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

I see this argument a lot, and I agree with the $15/hr. But right now I spend a lot of time making $13/hr and $25/hr in tips.

What, do you work in California?

As someone who is literally responsible for all banquet and restaurant functions, and can be held accountable for those, the $14.50/hr I make blows. Sure, I average out to $18/hr with all the overtime, but that's still loving awful.

This industry needs a change, and the closing of Le Cordon Bleu is only the start.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I worked in california for $9/hr and ~$20/hr in tips. It owns and I didn't pay taxes on poo poo. gently caress the haters.

e: If California is at all a representation of what will happen to the rest of the US if/when we outlaw tipping, a lot of chain employed BoH people are going to have a really lovely time in chain BoH until most chains go out of business or drastically restructure their business model.

You can't just start paying the entire FoH staff $9 more an hour and expect the restaurant to work the same way. It's not going to happen.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 18, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Reiz posted:

I worked in california for $9/hr and ~$20/hr in tips. It owns and I didn't pay taxes on poo poo. gently caress the haters.

The 'haters' are your coworkers, who just want to be paid what they're worth. Would you treat them like poo poo? Probably not. Or at least I hope not. Its the industry to blame, hate the industry.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Reiz posted:

Enjoy never being able to get hurt or go on unemployment because those things are based on reported income and not what you actually make.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

What I can tell you about working for tips and for hourly both in and out of California is that, regardless, working as a tipped employee is better and you makes more money. Whether or not you make minimum wage in addition to your tips isn't really a factor, but it would be ideal if everyone were making minimum wage in addition to their tips and yeah, if minimum wage was actually a living wage.

People tend not to consider "labor as a percentage of sales" when this comes up. They tend not to consider that when the FoH staff runs up labor the same amount that BoH staff does, people are getting cut earlier and are getting less hours. You wont find a chain restaurant in california that is adequately prepped, because in my experience morning BoH are the first shifts to disappear.

It's a really slippery slope and then you find yourself coming into work at 5:30 on Friday and walking into an empty station because the last time an employee was scheduled to work that station it was you, on your Thursday night 5:30pm to 10:00pm shift where they cut you the moment the restaurant closed because they couldn't afford to keep you on the clock anymore.

e:

quote:

Enjoy never being able to get hurt or go on unemployment because those things are based on reported income and not what you actually make.
I understand what you're getting at here but I don't really think you've done the math. You report 100% of your credit card tips, you report however much of your cash tips you feel like, you make at least minimum wage (until they fire you because you keep needing your paycheck bumped up to minimum wage). The difference in reported income between reporting all of your cash tips and none of your cash tips has a negligible impact on what you receive from unemployment, and probably the best thing about restaurants is that unless you seriously hurt yourself you never actually have to go on unemployment because you can just walk across the street and get a job at The Other Restaurant.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2015

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Reiz posted:

What I can tell you about working for tips and for hourly both in and out of California is that, regardless, working as a tipped employee is better and you makes more money. Whether or not you make minimum wage in addition to your tips isn't really a factor, but it would be ideal if everyone were making minimum wage in addition to their tips and yeah, if minimum wage was actually a living wage.

People tend not to consider "labor as a percentage of sales" when this comes up. They tend not to consider that when the FoH staff runs up labor the same amount that BoH staff does, people are getting cut earlier and are getting less hours. You wont find a chain restaurant in california that is adequately prepped, because in my experience morning BoH are the first shifts to disappear.

It's a really slippery slope and then you find yourself coming into work at 5:30 on Friday and walking into an empty station because the last time an employee was scheduled to work that station it was you, on your Thursday night 5:30pm to 10:00pm shift where they cut you the moment the restaurant closed because they couldn't afford to keep you on the clock anymore.

So your justification for tipping FOH is that it allows restaurants to screw over BOH even more by cutting their hours first because their labor costs the restaurant more?

You're not talking to people who haven't had to deal with this. I was a manager at a chain restaurant before. Sundays were the worst day because of exactly the scenario you described. I'd come in to a list of half of my BOH people that have be cut before we even hit dinner rush because we're over labor for the week/they're near overtime, then get bitched at on Monday because service was lovely and slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tipping means FOH makes more money per hour with tipping than back of house, but works fewer hours. I'd be willing to work more hours for less hourly if my week to week take home pay stayed about the same, but I can't imagine my restaurant adding a bunch of FOH hours to the schedule at the same time they have to start paying more in labor per hour.

I think tipless is great for new restaurants, but it's really, really difficult to drastically change the financial structure of an already established place, especially since it's not like most restaurants have huge margins to help absorb the blow short term while they try and balance it out.

• Locked thread