Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HellCopter posted:

That's not a film, that's a TV special that costs a lot of money. They're going to stretch this thing out for the next three years, aren't they.

And is shown in cinemas.

So a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Translated (novel) Kizumonogatari is out now so you could just order that if you don't want to wait 1-2 years for the movies to come out on BD's.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Dastardly posted:

Translated (novel) Kizumonogatari is out now so you could just order that if you don't want to wait 1-2 years for the movies to come out on BD's.

But does it have the same amount of head turns?
If there ain't necks a-breakin', then it ain't worth a-readin'

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
To compensate, 1 out of every 60 words is printed vertically. Play along at home! Nisio Isin is not responsible for any injuries sustained while reading Kizumonogatari.

I remember reading the BakaBT or w/e fan translation of Kizu a long time ago. It must've been so bad that none of it stuck, because I can't remember a single thing about the plot. Hope my copy arrives soon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Looks like Kizu part II will go up on the big screen in the summer, so maybe they'll really get it all out in a year.

Unless it gets postponed, again.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wazamonogatari novel to be released in the middle of January. Looks to be the story of Shinobu's pre-vampire days, some 600 years ago.

Edit: I also finished reading Orokamonogatari, which consists of three arcs starring Oikura, Kanbaru+Ougi and Ononoki+Tsukihi. First arc is 150 pages of Oikura neurotically describing her first days at the new school, trying to make friends, and contains literally not a single line of dialogue. Pretty unusual for a Nishio book. The other two arcs take place after Hanamonogatari, some time during the summer of the year Koyomi graduates high school.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 17, 2015

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Hey, Kizu arrived!

Wow, this thing is a novel. Light novels have really tempered my expectations for story length. At least I'm getting my money's worth.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Huh. I had moment of fridge logic the other day where I realised that the reason Shinobu turns into a child when she gets power drained is beacause she's probably like that little girl in The Vampire Diaries, who got turned into a vampire at a young age then never grew up. Her Adult/Teenage forms are just her using her shapeshifting powers to look as old as she feels. If the next book is about her shortly before she became a vampire then is this cover maybe confirming that?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Pensive posted:

Huh. I had moment of fridge logic the other day where I realised that the reason Shinobu turns into a child when she gets power drained is beacause she's probably like that little girl in The Vampire Diaries, who got turned into a vampire at a young age then never grew up. Her Adult/Teenage forms are just her using her shapeshifting powers to look as old as she feels. If the next book is about her shortly before she became a vampire then is this cover maybe confirming that?

We learn in Kizumonogatari that her size/age is related to her power level, so not quite.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

darkgray posted:

We learn in Kizumonogatari that her size/age is related to her power level, so not quite.

That's what I mean She gets smaller because her shapeshifting is becoming less powerful and she's reverting to what she actually looks like. It's just a random thought I had anyway and thought I'd share when I saw that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I doubt it works like that. Vampires are pretty absurd in this setting, so it's more like she's been cut in half and the half of her that's still alive adopted a form suited for its mass. Except she's made of magical energy.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
So is the first's appearance a combination of Araragi and Kanbaru since he energy drained the both of them, i.e. what their child would look like, or his original appearance from, what was it, five hundred years ago?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

That Doll doll is pretty great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Maybe this arc will make more sense whenever I get around to rewatching the gataris (is a simulwatch going to happen at some point? That'd be a fine opportunity), but I feel like a lot has gone over my head. I only vaguely recall what's going on with Tsubasa and Senjougahara.

I think Gaen and Ougi have been made too inscrutable. I don't get their motivations, I don't get their powers, I don't get why they have to be in the story at all. Some of this seems intentional, and some is merely my poor comprehension, but I don't like them (though I do like how well-done Ougi scenes are, visually).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Maybe this arc will make more sense whenever I get around to rewatching the gataris (is a simulwatch going to happen at some point? That'd be a fine opportunity), but I feel like a lot has gone over my head. I only vaguely recall what's going on with Tsubasa and Senjougahara.

I think Gaen and Ougi have been made too inscrutable. I don't get their motivations, I don't get their powers, I don't get why they have to be in the story at all. Some of this seems intentional, and some is merely my poor comprehension, but I don't like them (though I do like how well-done Ougi scenes are, visually).

It certainly is confusing, but pretty much all of the threads get tied up in the final volume of Owarimonogatari, whenever they bother to animate it. Bit of a miracle, really.

Hanekawa is fighting the burning Tiger while this episode is taking place, which is why Koyomi dashes in like a hero with the sword at the end of the Nekomonogatari: Shiro arc (and rejects her).

In the novels, this Owari arc came out after Koyomimonogatari, where the very last story takes place immediately after this episode ends, so originally the closing Ougi discussion actually works as the explanation of the confusing scene that happened there at the mountain top. Now it's reversed.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

absolutely fantastic finale. the opening convo between araragi and senjougahara is one of the best moments in the entire series and the visuals during the shinobu - first minion scene were soooo good. im glad monogatari is back to top form after two slightly weaker arcs (hana and tsuki). sodachi lost is definitely one of my favorite monogatari arcs now too. what a great season. 10/10

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

theyre the main characters. everyone else is just an actor

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

eh it was ok

jk dont be mad prefuse

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The resolution was cool and yeah the Hitagi/Koyomi conversation was super great. Great arc!

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
So was Gaen actually angry at Araragi when he decided to stay for the duel? I can't quite understand her dialogue at that part.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
No since she already knew what Araragi would do. She knows everything you know.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

absolutely fantastic finale. the opening convo between araragi and senjougahara is one of the best moments in the entire series and the visuals during the shinobu - first minion scene were soooo good. im glad monogatari is back to top form after two slightly weaker arcs (hana and tsuki). sodachi lost is definitely one of my favorite monogatari arcs now too. what a great season. 10/10

I don't really see how anyone can call Hanamonogatari a weaker arc. I rewatched the series a few weeks ago to catch up with Owari and Suruga Devil really stands out from the rest. The pinnacle of what the Monogatari series can be when it's actually trying.

This season was good, though I think a little worse than Second Season on the whole. It did have one of the more memorable moments in the series for me with the 'hint scene' from Sodachi Lost, and Kanbaru confronting Shinobu in the previous episode was another very good scene. Ougi is also still amazingly sinister and fun to watch. I'm really looking forward to the next TV series adaption, though it looks like there's a lot to tide me over in the meantime, between the movies and those shorts.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Myriad Truths posted:

This season was good, though I think a little worse than Second Season on the whole. It did have one of the more memorable moments in the series for me with the 'hint scene' from Sodachi Lost, and Kanbaru confronting Shinobu in the previous episode was another very good scene. Ougi is also still amazingly sinister and fun to watch. I'm really looking forward to the next TV series adaption, though it looks like there's a lot to tide me over in the meantime, between the movies and those shorts.

:agreed: That was cool cour of -monogatari! Ougi throwing down with Tsubasa and bein' all

in that season opener was delightful!

Cannot wait for more -monogatari! I hope it never ends! :)

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Really cool finale. That Shinobu scene was beaaauuuuutiful. Is there any info yet on when the next cour will be starting?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

esselfortium posted:

Is there any info yet on when the next cour will be starting?

January 9th, kind of. They've released an app where short Koyomimonogatari episodes will be available on Saturdays, but I haven't heard anything about if foreign streaming sites will be getting it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

darkgray posted:

January 9th, kind of. They've released an app where short Koyomimonogatari episodes will be available on Saturdays, but I haven't heard anything about if foreign streaming sites will be getting it.

If it's an app, then it sounds like it'll be like the web eps of bake...
I do, however, like the calendar puns they've thrown into the app. Is the calendar with the character symbols an accurate timeline?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

If it's an app, then it sounds like it'll be like the web eps of bake...
I do, however, like the calendar puns they've thrown into the app. Is the calendar with the character symbols an accurate timeline?

I don't think so, too packed. There's a real timeline on Wikipedia if you want to compare.

Edit: A wild guess is that the calendar icons indicate which days had the freshly recorded character lines, so you can replay them. Bit puzzled as to why there is an Oni seal, though. Usually the Oni symbolizes the vampire in Koyomi, but Koyomi has his own seal, and there's another for Shinobu. So then I thought it might be arc related, but I don't remember there being a Gaen arc. Oh well.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 20, 2015

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

bring back the snail

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I would imagine that someone will figure out how to get the phone episodes up on the Internet for viewing. Off hand, a simple web search using Google brings up a few video capture programs for Android. Capture the episode, edit it, and then do a translation and upload to where ever. I guess.

I was going to post a big, long rant about how these novels are not available in English, but then I did a little research. They are.

Kizumonogatari was just released by Vertical Publishing and is available on Amazon if anyone's interested. I just ordered my copy.

I really, really, really want the Japanese publishing companies to see a viable and lucrative market in selling their light novels in other-than-Japanese languages. For me, specifically English because that's pretty much the only language I can read effectively. So, I'm willing to plunk down dollars for books, but they need to be books I want to read.

All too often, I find books on Yen Press either A)Not that interesting, or B)A regurgitation of a show I already watched, so why buy the friggen book already?, or C)Book 1 or Book 2 of a 15 book series, and I really want to read Book 6+.

Also, those plushis are all sold out. The best place I found them was Hobby search, but they're all long sold out. Looks like some are available on Amazon for hundreds of dollars. Yeah, right. gently caress those resellers.

These are the first plushis to tempt me [sarcasm on](other than, of course, Beanie Babies (tm) -- but who doesn't love Beanie Babies (tm). Am I right?).[/sarcasm off]

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

bring back the snail

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Redmark posted:

So was Gaen actually angry at Araragi when he decided to stay for the duel? I can't quite understand her dialogue at that part.

I'd say it probably scared the hell out of her since she probably thought Araragi was going to lose and that would probably ruin just about all of her plans. I imagine her plan was something along the lines of 'Force Araragi to run away, then kill the first herself, take the armor and leave.'

Also I love Ougi's "Do you still not get how this works yet?" look after Araragi says he doesn't think Gaen took the armor.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

bring back the snail

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
What would be the best way for me to watch Kizumonogatari in the US? I heard something about it appearing in some German theaters, but something tells me I won't be as lucky.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 21, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Kizu arrived today, only read two chapters so far but I'm looking forward to finally find out what happened during Spring Break.

Edit: Finished now. Shinobu's character in Bake makes much more sense now and makes the ending to it more powerful. I hope they release more books because it was fun finally consuming the source material.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 23, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://kizumonogatari-usa.com/

Kizu is airing in some US theatres. Check the site to see if you're local*.

e: *When the page is updated.
I didn't check originally because I'm not in America, there's no point.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 24, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dastardly posted:

Kizu arrived today, only read two chapters so far but I'm looking forward to finally find out what happened during Spring Break.

Edit: Finished now. Shinobu's character in Bake makes much more sense now and makes the ending to it more powerful. I hope they release more books because it was fun finally consuming the source material.

Try rewatching Nekomonogatari: Kuro and Bakemonogatari after reading Kizumonogatari, this time from Hanekawa's perspective. :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://gigazine.net/news/20151222-m...campaign=buffer
http://imgur.com/gallery/lkjE3/new

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Terror

Only thing more terrifying would've been a neck breaking compilation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I just watched all of this. This is good.

Mods, please change my name to "Brutal Garçon".

Also:

GloomMouse posted:

bring back the snail