Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

spabo posted:

Been away from the MMO market (and the video game scene in general) for awhile now due to pursing my degree and working. Anyways, the MMO market was extremely stale when I departed and I have been waiting for something to come along that is a bit of breath of fresh air. Seems that everything released in the last few years is theme parked and follows the same formula as WoW, or just doesn't have the dev support required to have become a good game.

I'm really just curious as to your guys' opinions on the game. As of now, I'm looking for something to occupy my time during my break. Really just want a game that:

1) Doesn't do a lot of hand holding and allows me to challenge myself. The last MMO I was engaged by was Tera (I religiously played the CBTs and OBT but quit before release) as one of my favorite things was that I could potentially kill any mob I wanted (as a Warrior) because I had the skills and knowledge to do so. In general, just the fact that skill had a lot more outcome on things rather than gear.

2) Doesn't follow the extremely linear progression most MMOs have questing/leveling wise.

3) Has other redeeming mechanics: aka Combat isn't the only thing this game offers.

4) In the same vein as the first, lack of social-killing aspects such as forced grouping/queuing systems that turned WoW into never leaving the main cities.

5) An emphasis on the journey to max level, rather than feeling rushed to get to max level to finally get to the "fun" part.

I am typically a hardcore PvPer, but I'm really just looking for an enjoyable game with a solid questing experience. A game that I can lose myself in for a few hours after working. And to add to that, a game where I don't feel as if I'm mindlessly grinding to eventually get to the "fun" part.

It's an Elder Scrolls game you can play with your friends. If that sounds appealing, give it a try.

The questing part is mindless and linear, but enjoyable if you like the Elder Scrolls universe.

The challenge is in the PvE group content, which generally emphasizes teamwork over minmaxing. You can start doing the good stuff (veteran dungeons) as early as a third of the way through leveling, gear you craft is about as good as gear you grind, you can respec on a whim, and even your race and class combination has little impact, provided that you play to your character's (and your) strengths. It's really on you to make a decent character, which may satisfy the skill part you're looking for.

The PvP on the other hand is a trainwreck, where grinding out secondary currency is more important than actual competition. New PvP modes are coming out early next year to address this, but I am skeptical.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Scyantific posted:

Hahaha this is beyond loving ridiculous

"Please nerf the skill line that was designed to deal with Undead, Daedra, Werewolves and Vampires! :downs:"

but the response

"Should have thought of that before you sold your soul to become an abomination. Burn in the light of Meridia's justice fiend!"

tru

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
@spabo you can run most of the content solo/duo experimenting with different builds and crafting your own gear. I have played off and on for a few months and don't have a "finished" character, end game gear, etc. and I have been enjoying the game in exactly that play a few hours (with occasional long sessions) sort of way. In some ways the best part of the game might be from level 15-40 or something like that. I don't really know though since no finished toons, just know I have enjoyed that range a lot on a few different builds. I have not group dungeoned or pvp'd as much as solo'd, but there are enough goons on (PC) regularly that you could do that if you wanted. (I should have all the parts for a new PC that can actually run the game waiting for me at home and hope to do more donjon and pvp!...)

Gear is important, but you can make much of the best gear in the game yourself... When not the best it is still good enough to really use. It does not seem to get prohibitive or onerous until you get to making the end game gear. There is skill involved in both theory crafting and then actually running your build... Though you can also make sort of one button builds (why?). Animation canceling is a thing and makes running your toon in fights interesting (though I more or less suck at this). There are chainable sorts of skills and buffs that mean you can make rotations. Dodging, breaking crowd control, etc are all a thing that you actually have to run as well. That is, you actually have to run your char, rather than just button mash successfully... Or at least you can do.

You can play through the content which is decent and not overly theme park. You can just go explore, kill things and craft, etc. it is not sandbox by any means, but is also not offensively theme park (for me at least). It's pretty big. After level 50 it can start to be really grindy I guess. There are multiple ways to do that now though. I have found myself more with the dilemma of choosing which way to go about that and switching between things, more than feeling locked into one sort of grind.

The char system is also interesting. Different classes can do a fair variety of things and respec fairly easily. Of course there are meta-paradigm-über-endgame-therecanbeonlyone-min/max builds and gear of the moment, but honestly you can play the game successfully ignoring all of that (unless you have irredeemable character flaws making that impossible). 4 classes. All 4 can do various sorts of tanking, healing, dps though it's more straightforward with some than others. Any class can spec using magic/spell skills, stamina/weapon skills or a (considered sub optimal) mix. Mostly people min/max Stam or Magicka to make big numbers. I think the game was actually intended for chars to be a hybrid builds, but nobody seems to real do that because big numbers.

The group finding stuff is a touch broken, though they are actually working on it. It's an MMO. Everything is broken, just some things more than others.

spabo
Dec 19, 2013
Thank you all for the responses. I'm going to keep my eye on this game as much of what was described very much so interests me. I ultimately just wanted a game that has a good "single player" experience for the time being (just in the sense that I don't NEED to rely on others to progress) and a game that promotes exploration. It was between this and GW2 for that aspect, and I was always much more interested in ESO altogether. I'll probably make the purchase in the near future and hop on with you guys. The character development is what really has me interested as that's where MMOs really should shine through.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Does race really matter? Playing an Argonian Templar cause that's cool as hell. Any idea what server/faction most people on ps4 are at?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Moochewmoo posted:

Does race really matter? Playing an Argonian Templar cause that's cool as hell. Any idea what server/faction most people on ps4 are at?

Not many Wood Elves or at least I don't see many. Kind of nice being one and seeing many. of course, I'm a NB and those bastards are everywhere. I would guess Woof Elf Templar.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

For a dps build, the gap between the "best" and "worst" races is about 10% dps, which is not really noticeable. And if you choose skills that work with your racial passives, that gap is even lower.

Occasionally, someone will give you attitude about being the wrong race or class, but my experience has been that those people are insecure about their playing ability and want someone to carry them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

There's also a few really cold looking monster themed helmets (literally they ripped the head off some bosses and made them helmets) and the probably look really badass for argonians. So play argonian whatever.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

As a new player, I found myself a bit crippled by indecision at all the skills and just kinda defaulted to destruction staff/storm calling/light armor because I just don't feel familiar enough with the game to experiment.

With that in mind, I was hoping to have some more experienced goons tell me about less obvious builds/synergies I might want to shoot for with my next character that would be fun to play. Leveling, not endgame. I'd like to hear about sorcerer first and foremost, but any class is fine!

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Just bought this on sale in the PSN store and the ESO servers are down for maintenance.
Anyone know how long maintenance usually takes?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

haris pilton posted:

Just bought this on sale in the PSN store and the ESO servers are down for maintenance.
Anyone know how long maintenance usually takes?
On PC it usually is between 2 and 6 hours (the latter more often than the former), so on PSN might be around the same time.

Lizard Wizard posted:

With that in mind, I was hoping to have some more experienced goons tell me about less obvious builds/synergies I might want to shoot for with my next character that would be fun to play. Leveling, not endgame. I'd like to hear about sorcerer first and foremost, but any class is fine!
tgidieday has posted a few good character builds and for a Sorceror specifically the Two-Handed line synergizes well with the skill Surge. More details here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706540&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post453215748
The gist of it is that Surge is a skill that increases your weapon power and heals you on a critical hit, while the Two-Handed skill like has a skill that guarantees a crit; this allows you to build an alt based on getting as many critical hits as possible, and when you need a heal you just use the one skill to guarantee that you get one.
In addition to that, Two-Hander has a skill that gives you a shield for each enemy hit, an execution skill, a skill that knocks back and increases your next attack damage, a heal-over-time with damage bonus and finally Critical Rush which guarantees a critical hit and allows you to quickly close the distance to an enemy, making you very self-sufficient as long as you don't run out of stamina or are hit by a powerful attack that you didn't see/dodge in time.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 16, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Would someone mind explaining the player trading system to me please as I find it a bit confusing, even after looking at some wiki guides.

I've got two characters around level 8 at the moment, and the number one thought I've had about this game is "drat, I wish there was an auction house", especially when low level alchemy spawns seem so rare (looking at you celandine and mountain flower!)

From what I've gathered, a player must join a trading guild in order to list items for sale. I've also found the guild traders where I can buy stuff, but not sell stuff. I can see two guild traders, one is the Covenant Trading Guild and the other is Handelsgenossenschaft - are these NPCs representing two player guilds, or can I buy stuff listed from any guild at these NPCs?

Do trading guilds provide a market only within that particular guild? If so, is there any way to know whether you're joining a 'good' or 'bad' guild in terms of market size?

Also, am I being dumb, or is there literally no way to search guild trader listings without installing the 'awesome guild store' addon?

Thanks!

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

As a new player, I found myself a bit crippled by indecision at all the skills and just kinda defaulted to destruction staff/storm calling/light armor because I just don't feel familiar enough with the game to experiment.

First off, if you're on PC NA, join the guild and you can get these long-form essays posted with less capital letters and sobriety. It also would make me feel like less of an rear end in a top hat for quoting my own posts.

Second, you don't really need a build while leveling. There's plenty of time and the difficulty curve is gentle, so you can experiment and find what combination of skills you personally enjoy the most. Even if you're completely sure you know what you want, level everything you can up to the morph. That way you can see what they do (some skills are quite different after morphing) and you'll have access to them in endgame (for example, magicka players often need to get dual wield or sword and board to level 50, strange but true).

By trying out all the different skills, I found that I really liked two-hander, specifically critical rushing into things and murdering them with brawler. I put together endgame stamina dps builds for each class based around that (sorcerer, templar, dragonknight, and nightblade). Radintorov already posted my favorite one, the stamina sorcerer, which has general advice and a description of animation canceling.

Third, while stamina sorcerers are generally purple and shooting lightning everywhere, I'm guessing from your name you want something a little more wizard-y, i.e. magicka-based dps. So here's some build suggestions for that:

If you want to be ranged magicka dps, every class has a good build that revolves around weaving force shock (third in destruction staff line) or similar with medium attacks. Each build uses different class skills for flavor, but they play roughly the same. Templars have great healing (breath of life, repentance, remembrance ult), sorcerers and dragonknights have great AOE synergy skills (lightning splash and talons). My favorite of these is pluto's nightblade, which replaces force shock with funnel health. Funnel health gives 25% of damage dealt back to you and two other players as healing. This is definitely the most useful ranged option (you can run without a healer in group content, without having to work at it like a templar would) and the toughest.

If you want to be melee magicka dps, templars and dragonknights have great builds. Dragonknights weave medium attacks with molten whip, and unlike their ranged counterpart, can easily add the melee-ranged dots at their disposal (burning embers, engulfing flames, talons). They are great damage, especially when paired with a dunmer or altmer, but fairly squishy (you are in light armor in melee range after all). Templars spam puncturing sweep, which provides 40% of damage done as healing. This mitigates the light armor in melee range problem, particularly when combined with the templar's great healing abilities. It plays like a helpful version of the stamina sorcerer, which is probably why I like it more than the dragonknight build.

Finally, if you're on PC and you want more insight into what skills are doing what, get FTC (if you think the defaults are ugly, try this). It has damage/healing numbers and a great post-battle summary.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Prince John posted:

player trading system

You've got most of it right. When a guild gets 50 people in it, they get a guild store, allowing only members to buy or sell things at the bank. Separate from this, there are guild traders all over the world that, when owned by a guild, allow non-members to buy things from their store. The traders you found each have a different guild's store behind them. If you joined one of those guilds, you'd be able to list things in their store and have them show up for anyone to buy at their trader.

The best guilds have their traders in Orsinium, Rawl'kha, Mournhold, Wayrest, and Belkarth right now. That can always change, because guilds have to buy their trader in a blind auction once a week. The worst locations sell for tens of thousands of gold, while the best sell for tens of millions. Per week. So if you want to join a trading guild with a trader in a good area, there will likely be a weekly sales requirement (or you have to buy raffle tickets). This can be difficult for a level 8, but it gets easier later on.

Columbine (did they localize it celandine but keep the red flowers?) is used in most of the popular endgame potions, so it is rare and nearly 400g each on PC NA even in the best places. Until you get more money, you're probably better off searching for it on the ground (get that keen eye passive!).

Also you're not dumb, the default guild trader UI is pretty terrible without add-ons.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 16, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Thank you so much, really helpful! No localisation, just my bad memory recall - it was columbine I was referring to.

Out of interest, do you know the rationale for making trading so convoluted? From googling I just picked up a world of hostility from the community to anyone who wandered into the official forums and suggested a GW2 style auction house. :)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 16, 2015

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
This system reminds me of the crazy system in FFXI or FFXIV 1.0.

I mean, it sounds cool from a 'my immersion' perspective I guess, but sure makes buying/selling poo poo more complicated than it seems like it could be.

EDIT: I use 'Awesome Guild Store' to make the interface better. Master Merchant is also very recommended for price histories and such but I get lots of errors when I run it that I haven't bothered to troubleshoot.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

E: ^^^ Get ShissuLUA, install it, and use it to set your LUA memory limit at 2048 MB. Presto no more UI errors.

Because gently caress Global Auction Houses. Look at WoW and Diablo III. Their AH system basically murdered the economy.

The system in ESO is actually one of the better ones out there, since it gives you freedom of choice and actually forces people in trading guilds to price somewhat fairly, lest they sell nothing in a week and lose their trader.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Scyantific posted:

E: ^^^ Get ShissuLUA, install it, and use it to set your LUA memory limit at 2048 MB. Presto no more UI errors.

Ah cool, will do.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I think I'm terrible at this game or something. It's taking me hours for each level, fights are taking me forever (like I'm burning all my stam and magic in single fights).
I'm rocking the sorta of accepted 2hand DK leveling stuff (critical rush, brawler, etc)

Is there an up to date leveling path guide or something? I just tend to wander around trying to figure out or find quests. I started in Ebonhart, and then thought I'd try Wrothgar. 16 hours and I'm level 13, seems a bit slow.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 16, 2015

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Previously in games with AH I would occasionally be that rear end in a top hat who would corner the market on a server for some sought after commodity. With an AH it's really possible to just play speculation leading to massive inflation, crashes etc. Maybe even more importantly integrated AH also leads to 3rd party gold sales and such which destroy games very rapidly. The ESO system is inefficient on purpose I think. With intentional or not it's a good thing in my opinion. People aren't wrong to complain about the inefficiency or anything, but the alternative is worse.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

tgidieday posted:

First off, if you're on PC NA, join the guild and you can get these long-form essays posted with less capital letters and sobriety. It also would make me feel like less of an rear end in a top hat for quoting my own posts.

Yeah I'll probably just join up with the guild. I'd rather not reroll my sorcerer right now or try to figure out how and where to reset my points, so I'm hopping on now as a fresh Nightblade. Username should be @Sterv.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah I'll probably just join up with the guild. I'd rather not reroll my sorcerer right now or try to figure out how and where to reset my points, so I'm hopping on now as a fresh Nightblade. Username should be @Sterv.

Invite sent.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
What are good endgame professions? I'm making potions and enchantments as I level up, but I don't know if I'll make any money off of them when I'm max level.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

What are good endgame professions? I'm making potions and enchantments as I level up, but I don't know if I'll make any money off of them when I'm max level.

All of them, and there's no limit on what you can focus on. Nor is there lack of skillpoints if you complete all the content.
I've made great money putting together medium armor sets for people. Even if you think you don't want to dabble in say blacksmithing, eventually when a piece of really good BOP heavy armor drops you'll wish you had the skills to upgrade it to legendary.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Lizard Wizard posted:

nightblade healer!
stamina sorcerer
nightblade tank if you want to be really perverse

(the above are all viable builds)

e: a sorcerer summoner tank is fun and unusual but i don't know if it stays practical. i think pets are generally not well regarded at endgame level, but on the other hand a summoner tank is what a sorcerer is SUPPOSED to be if you care about consistency with other elder scrolls games (which you really shouldn't because it's a world of pain)

vug fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 17, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

vug posted:

nightblade healer!
stamina sorcerer
nightblade tank if you want to be really perverse

(the above are all viable builds)

e: a sorcerer summoner tank is fun and unusual but i don't know if it stays practical. i think pets are generally not well regarded at endgame level, but on the other hand a summoner tank is what a sorcerer is SUPPOSED to be if you care about consistency with other elder scrolls games (which you really shouldn't because it's a world of pain)

Normally you don't pick the best builds when you're saying "look at this crazy crap!"

Sorc tank works fine in endgame (duo'ed stage 10 dsa with one), although like nightblade tanks, it feels more like a heavy armor magicka dps than a tank. Most of the pets don't actually help, with the exception of the storm atronach which somehow draws way more aggro than other pets. You can often leave your post when he's out.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hi I'm having technical difficulties with my internet so until further notice ennuid is in charge of the guild.

NO KICKING ANYONE AND NO STAMSORC PROPAGANDA

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Scyantific posted:

Hi I'm having technical difficulties with my internet so until further notice ennuid is in charge of the guild.

Too late, sorry. I'm now a true believer in the church of stamsorc.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

What are you all staring at? Do you think I've gone mad? Mad with power? Well, you're right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z17rrnRRHDM&t=45s

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Stam Sorcs are hilarious fun, but really Stamplars running around with some massive 2hander are also great fun.

I think for practicality many people find Provisioning and Alchemy really useful. It lets you make your own multi stat food and pots. Mine is lagging a bit, but I don't really use a lot of food or potions as of yet. You can basically level with minimal use and they become important for dungeons and PvP.

It might be worth considering leveling the thieving line in advance of the next update. This can go well with provisioning since you can level by stealing ingredients.

Woodworking only has seven pieces of gear to level. Blacksmithing has 14 as does Tailoring. Blacksmithing has most of the weapons (bows, staves and shield in woodworking) which you might use in any build.

If you have some idea about your first build you might focus what you level. For a Stam build for instance, a lot of people run 2 heavy, 5 medium. I tend to run heavy chest and legs and medium everything else. My Magicka builds so far are sort of tanky, so I do something similar only use light instead of medium. The CP system has some perks related to wearing 5 pieces of one type. Most of the armor passives scale off of number of pieces worn. There is an Unduanted passive that benefits from a 5/1/1, e.g. 5 med, 1 Hvy, 1 lt of something of the sort, but you won't have to worry that for awhile.

So if you wanted to focus leveling crafting you might pick the pieces, e.g. Level heavy chest and legs. Level the other five medium or light depending or something. Pick a 2h and one type for DW and level those. Level woodworking along side if you want. That would have you leveling 4 blacksmithing, 5 tailoring, and whatever woodworking, all of which are on separate timers.

When you have the points and skill level investing in the research passives makes a huge difference allowing you to research three things at once and reducing research times.

Enchanting is probably the hardest to level. Decon all glyphs. Only research runes you don't know. Most importantly if you can get a crafting partner (for any craft, but more important for enchanting) do that. You get much more exp from deconstructing gear other people have crafted and it is the fastest way to level.

I have one "main" who has all the gear crafts and enchanting and then I have a cook and alchemist on alts that I am leveling. I am not sure this is the best way to do it. Eventually skill points aren't an issue, but you can get constrained while leveling.

I have not found mats to be a real issue until late and I think some of the changes have helped with that? The only keen eye I have found to be really helpful is alchemy, though in a couple of zones the ores can be hard to see. This depends on play style though. I tend to run around killing things and working on rotations a lot. This means I see the nodes because I travel most places by foot killing things as I go. If you decide to level by grinding particular spots you will probably be moving between them on horseback and see fewer nodes.

The add ons that map nodes and the one that makes you autoloot nodes are useful. I have found that the areas that spawn the random daedra are often rich with nodes. Sometimes it can also be useful to finish a quest in an area that de-aggros all the mobs and then just forage that area for awhile.

Eventually when you have the points you can spec the decon and hireling passives which help with mats and tempers to small degree. I did all the writs until maxed, but don't spend a lot of time on them now. I found them to be a bit of a pain, but they become important for end game mats and tempers I think.

Or you can ignore all of this and let some of the guildies who have everything researched make you gear. (I am probably a month out from that myself. I am traveling and away from my computer, but am logging in remotely to keep on my research and should have everything to 7/8 traits by the time I return. No idea how I am going to deal with Nirhoned, which ends up being the last trait. A lot of gold I suspect.)

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I tried this during the free weekend and was surprised how much it had improved since I last tried it during the open beta.

Have the devs ever explained their reasoning behind having predetermined classes in an Elder Scrolls game though? I don't see why players shouldn't be able to freely pick 3 of the 12 lines of class skills and have that make up their class like it does in Arche Age.

In any other ES game you can specialize in whatever weird combination of skills like Sneak, Conjuration and Restoration or whatever else you want. So why not let someone pick Shadow, Daedric Summoning and Restoring Light as their 3 lines of class skills if they wanted to in ESO?

I could understand if the devs had handpicked a combination of certain lines of class skills because certain classes had to perform a specific role like tanking, healing or DPSing. But that's not the case, so it doesn't really make much sense to me.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Scyantific posted:

AND NO STAMSORC PROPAGANDA
I respecced just now, cant wait to run dungeons with you guys again. 10k health stamsorcs represent!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Sogol posted:

Enchanting is probably the hardest to level. Decon all glyphs. Only research runes you don't know. Most importantly if you can get a crafting partner (for any craft, but more important for enchanting) do that. You get much more exp from deconstructing gear other people have crafted and it is the fastest way to level.
Enchanting is a massive pain, but deconstructing someone elses' glyphs really does help. Also the quality (white/green/blue/etc.) of the glyph being made/deconstructed is factored into the exp gain, along with the Potency (ie: level).
So decon/making a VR14 Purple glyph gives more xp than a VR16 white glyph.

That said, unlike Alchemy and Provisioning, Enchanting doesn't have any passive skills that improve your character so you only ever need to have one alt level it up.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

itsnice2bnice posted:

I tried this during the free weekend and was surprised how much it had improved since I last tried it during the open beta.

Have the devs ever explained their reasoning behind having predetermined classes in an Elder Scrolls game though? I don't see why players shouldn't be able to freely pick 3 of the 12 lines of class skills and have that make up their class like it does in Arche Age.

In any other ES game you can specialize in whatever weird combination of skills like Sneak, Conjuration and Restoration or whatever else you want. So why not let someone pick Shadow, Daedric Summoning and Restoring Light as their 3 lines of class skills if they wanted to in ESO?

I could understand if the devs had handpicked a combination of certain lines of class skills because certain classes had to perform a specific role like tanking, healing or DPSing. But that's not the case, so it doesn't really make much sense to me.

I imagine that since PvP is pretty important to the game, they need to be able to playtest the various combinations. If you could just pick any three skill lines from the 12, you'd have 220 combinations instead of 4 which would be a nightmare to playtest. And if you didn't, the playerbase would likely quickly settle upon a particularly unbalanced/optimal combination that makes PvP unfun for anyone not using it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I haven't logged on since Fallout 4 came out and I feel terrible. I've betrayed you, goon family.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Aramek posted:

I haven't logged on since Fallout 4 came out and I feel terrible. I've betrayed you, goon family.

You should come back, we can almost run all argonian pledges!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
God drat they really need to implement cross faction PVE dungeons sooner rather than later.

e: also where is a good town to look for people recruiting for trade guilds?

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 19, 2015

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

God drat they really need to implement cross faction PVE dungeons sooner rather than later.

e: also where is a good town to look for people recruiting for trade guilds?

Mournhold in Deshaan is a solid bet. That's assuming you're EP. If you're not EP, wtf

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Aramek posted:

"Buy this game before it goes on sale it's the best ever dawg <quits forever>" - actual quote from steam chat

Post your dog, dog.

valuum fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rough Lobster posted:

Mournhold in Deshaan is a solid bet. That's assuming you're EP. If you're not EP, wtf

I'm not, because I rolled DC at launch with my pre-order and now sunk cost fallacy. Besides, I like my little VR4 Templar, he's fun.

• Locked thread