Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Barry, arod, no dh, truly this universe is hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This is ten bucks on the humble weekly bundle

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Dutchy posted:

Barry, arod, no dh, truly this universe is hell

I'm fine with Bonds and A-Rod but this is also a universe where Ichiro is on his fourth year with still only about 50% of the vote

And as a power hitter whose only skills are dingers and batflips and who may lose his outfield abilities, I am extremely pissed about the abolition of the DH.

canadianclassic fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 17, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Go buy yourselves some OOTP16, if you haven't already! If they follow their usual schedule, 17 will be out in March-Aprilish, and they usually give a bit of a discount for those who already own 16.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just bought it. It's a shame too because me and my friends are in the process of raising another million for humble bundle and they wouldn't give me a break by giving me the game for my last 25 dollar purchase. Oh well.

How do you do a mock draft in this game? I want to basically do the MLB but make my own team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There should be an option when you start a new league to release everyone and do a fantasy draft.

I do mean literally everyone so enjoy the 150 rounds of drafting prospects.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2024 Season

Last year's hall of fame vote threw me a bit off, but it's time to dive into the 2024 season.

2024 Opening Day Status

After the offseason commotion and Spring Training demotions, there are now 12 goons in MLB, 10 in AAA, and only 3 at any other level. That leaves 18 unsigned or retired. The numbers are thinning, but at least about half of you still have a shot.

Finally! Ammat O'Goku is FINALLY traded to a different team. He's immediately placed in the starting lineup, batting second, as the Diamondbacks receive a backup C and an aging Corey Dickerson in return. Honestly the cash is probably as valuable as anything.

It sucks to see our goon-heavy Diamondbacks trade O'Goku away, but it really is for the best. Now you can actually get regular appearances and see what you've been missing the last few years.

Another big trade, as Mike Bukowski is traded from the 3rd place 39-50 Marlins to the 5th place... 43-45 pirates?? That's out of six teams in the NL central now, too. That division is a clusterfuck, but I guess the pirates are slightly better than the Marlins. He has absolutely no closer competition in Pittsburgh, and will see all save opportunities.

Ex Odor suffers a very worrying injury down in the minors. Tearing your labrum is one of those injuries that can hurt your pitching potential, so we'll have to hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.

2024 All Star Game

Congrats to Rusty Unts for his fourth consecutive All-Star appearance, with which he has now spent a majority of his career as an All-Star, 4/6 seasons. Rusty is good but is riding the Chicago hype train and huge national popularity just a bit, as there's comparable goons and other players that have been entirely snubbed.

Also congrats to Mike Bukowski, who is now our fourth goon All-Star and first All-Star pitcher. He was elected as a closer, as he's rapidly become one of the best in the league. If only he could get on a championship bound team.

2024 All-Star Break Stats

Batting

Pitching

Nelson Frazier and Simon MacGregor are the big first half heroes, with both working their way into the starting lineups of the Pirates and Astros making a strong case for staying there. Frazier edges out MacGregor in WAR due to Frazier's massive size and catching ability, though MacGregor is highly rated at 3B and will eventually show his defensive chops.

Unts is yet again the best offensive player with nearly 20 HR's and an OPS+ of 165 at the All-Star break. Mcgee is establishing himself as the best overall goon batter, with brilliant offense and brilliant defense (and at an important position) combining to place him atop the goon leaderboards. Johnson continues to be stifled by the Giants' awful ballpark.

O'Goku and Hrenchuk are not breaking out as I'd hoped, but I really hope O'Goku simply needs more time now that he's a real starter.

Fostolfur and Kirby Bissel are new additions to the MLB this year (though Iceberg appeared twice already, briefly), and both start out relatively hot in their limited appearances.

On the pitching side, Bukowski is having a hell of a year, and just in time too, as free agency will approach in a year or two...

Hardslab has settled back down to a low 3's ERA, which is more than enough to return him to ace status. Just try not to overwork yourself this year.

Hockles suffers horrible back spasms which sideline him for 2 months, and is otherwise mediocre, alongside Seth Iroth. Both are seeing their roles grow, and their ERA's stay respectable if unspectacular.

TRADE MANIA BEGINS! The three days following the All-Star break see a goon traded, one each day:

Nelson Frazier is first, as the Pirates send him to the Barves in exchange for some pitching prospects. One of them is a potential elite closer, so Atlanta clearly values Frazier.

He'll fit in better in the south with his diet, though maybe he'll scare off the Atlanta fan base with his... complexion.

The next day, the Orioles figure they have a decent enough 1B in their 74 rated Dominican superstar Pancho Garcia, and trade Fostolfur to St Louis. Fostolfur is immediately placed in the starting lineup batting 4th, so this is a huge upgrade over the Orioles, who hosed around with Fostolfur until they ran out of minor league options and basically gave him away. I think they're going to regret this, but it gets a goon more playing time, so that's good news.

Then the NEXT day, MacGregor learns that he's been traded to the Mariners in exchange for some mediocre players. He gets to start at 3B in Seattle, batting 2nd, so whatever. More playing time for him.

Ammat O'Goku has a lot of tension, having spent much of his career as the backup to inferior catchers, or frustratingly not traded despite his repeated requests. It all came out as he screamed at aging umpire Angel Hernandez for a botched strike three call. After pushing the umpire to the ground and screaming obscenities at him, he proceeded to rip his own jersey off to display his glistening abs, and storm off field. He's since been suspended as a punishment, and broadcasts of the incident were banned in Saudi Arabia.

Jim Powers also has a bad game, and lost his cool in a minor league game. After charging the mound the benches cleared, and both were suspended six games.

Finishing off the year, Raul "Stud" Ordonez won player of the week for the AL, capping off another solid season at SS.

Notable Minor League Awards
-Zak Harov wins player of the week! Your ratings may blow, but the minor leagues are your playground. Maybe you'll be a minor league superstar!
-Black Sambo wins player of the week!

2024 Regular Season Standings

(The astros beat the Twins in game 163 after I posted this image, oops)

The second half of the season ends, and is relatively quiet outside of trade mania and baseball brawls.

But somehow, these trades only seem to make things worse! While it's great that Goku got off the sinking ship in Arizona, Snart is called up, and now Arizona AGAIN has three goons and is in last place.

Moosejaw Hockles will go the playoffs with the wildcard Astros, along with Seth Iroth on the Yankees, both as relievers, so they'll see some limited play.

The two teams with the most goons are the Rangers and wildcard Padres. Raul Ordonez is the starting SS on the Rangers and generally bats cleanup, so he's integral to their playoff hopes. Sam Booty is on San Diego's 40 man but not active roster, while Hrenchuk's poor play has him mostly playing from the bench, so they're not really major factors there.

No other goons even have a shot at a ring :(. Actually, that's not entirely true: MacGregor would still get a ring if Houston won, as would Fostolfur with Baltimore, since they both appeared in some games before being traded.

Wild Card

The wild card games are boring, as Moosejaw gives up a hit to the only batter he faces on the first pitch (and he goes on to score), while Hrenchuk goes 0 for 1. Both their teams lose.

Congrats to Moosejaw Hockles for having an infinite ERA and WHIP though!

Division Series

Raul Ordonez can't be blamed for the Rangers losing, as he did his part in the ALDS. It was Texas' pitching which wasn't up to snuff, as the 100 win team is brought down early by the reigning champion Yankees.

League Championship Series

Seth Iroth mysteriously appears at this point on the Yankees, giving up 1 hit on 2 pitches, retiring none.

World Series

Seth Iroth again mysteriously appears, giving up 1 hit on 6 pitches, retiring none.

And the Yankees once again win the World Series! Congrats, Seth Iroth, on your second consecutive ring! You didn't do a whole lot but hey, whatever, it counts!

The Yankees were notably led by George Springer and Yasiel Puig, who they scooped up for obscene amounts of money when they hit free agency. It's notable that this is Puig's second WS ring - 9 years after his 2015 win with the Dodgers in our first simulated season.

2024 MLB Awards

NL MVP: Jarid Joseph (2nd place, Krusty :( )
AL MVP: Aramis Ademan
NL Cy Young: Tyler Watson (Hardslab got 2nd :( )
AL Cy Young: Huascar Ynoa
NL Reliever of the Year: Mike Bukowski! :woop:
Silver Slugger at RF: Krusty Unts! :woop:
Golden Glove at C: Ammat O'Goku :woop:

Some good awards this time around! Krusty Unts falls just a bit short of the MVP award. While he played better offense than Joseph, leading the league in dingers, RBI, and OPS, Joseph's elite 3B defense and great offense were enough to sway the voters his way. It is the future my friends, and the old farts are giving way to ~~sabermetrics~~. At least he won the silver slugger, as his power was unparalleled with 38 dingers.

Mike Bukowski also won the top award for his position (short of a rare reliever Cy Young), putting up his best save numbers and continuing to do well in pitching across the board. He recorded 38 saves (on two different teams) on 43 opportunities. His best season awards-wise, he leaves with an All-Star appearance and a reliever of the year award. Quite a good haul, with a bright future ahead of him.

I'm pissed that Hardslab got second place as well. Two second place finishes in one year, in the same league even. Bah!

I also like that O'Goku FINALLY got some recognition for his play. He's really a great player at a rare position, but he's been jerked around a bit, and failed to really step up when finally given his shot. I hope he gets it together next year, with his first full season starting at C.

2024 Retirements

Lots of retirements this year. Zack Greinke technically retires, having spent the last 5 years battling injury. The injuries were too great, and without having played for 5 years, Greinke is officially retired AND eligible for the hall of fame. He was forced out of baseball at 36 years old :(.

Yan Gomez, Adam Eaton, Jonathon Broxton, and Trevor Cahill are yet more unspectacular but good players retired.

2024 Hall of Fame

After all the wackiness of last year, this year is quiet, and no one gets into the hall. Ivan Rodriguez was so close, one or two votes away. He's in his last year next year, but he should get in. Ichiro is also rapidly climbing, and I'm pretty confident he'll get in. It'll be closer than I'd like, though.

2024 End of Season Status

Player Status

MLB Batting

MLB Pitching

:(. My goons... Five new retirements this offseason increases the total retirements to 9, and only one of you is even in the minors. It's going to be curtains for the rest of you unsigned guys soon. If it turns out that 18/43 of you made it to the majors, I'll be impressed. All who retired are being converted into coaches. I'll update you on their statuses as they move up their organizations. Pretty much all are employed but many... are stuck in the minors.

I also don't get Joey Guns' retirement. He was still decently rated but was waiting on his knuckleball to develop.... and then just up and gave up. Maybe OOTP doesn't model knuckleballers properly? I'm not sure.

Rick Hardslab would be my pick of goon of the year this year. He led the league in K's and K/9, with a great ERA (and FIP!). He's the silver lining in the poo poo cloud that is Arizona. You may notice that Harry Callahan had a good but short season - this wasn't due to injury, it was Arizona's mismanagement. He was benched in favor of a far inferior 2B, then platooned with basically no rhyme or reason. If Arizona keeps this poo poo up, I want all goons traded away ASAP.

The goon batters didn't have as clear a leader as they have in the past. Krusty "C" Unts clearly was the best raw offensive player, but factoring in defense and other peripherals, a strong case can be made for Jackson McGee or Nelson Frazier. Frazier's breakout year finally came, as did MacGregor, and I think we've got a solid core of great goon hitters with lasting power in the MLB. The newer additions, Fostolfur and Bissel are looking great too. Only Hrechuk and Johnson need to really pick it up. At least Johnson already has 3 years of free agency bought out, so he has time to get his poo poo together, and will get paid in the meantime.

I also like the look of our relievers, especially Bukowski. I want him to get paid very, very badly. I'm curious whether Iroth or Hockles will ever manage to close out games, but for now they'll just keep collecting rings, I guess.

Finances

Goons gettin' paid! :homebrew:

Krusty's free agent year begins this year, or would, if he wasn't already signed. You can see it in the massive 20 million he's getting paid this year. I wonder what he'd get on free agency now, but I can't imagine it'd be a lot less.

Johnson is also getting his free agency money, but I wonder if he isn't better off getting 11 million given his lackluster play. He has 2 more years to put up numbers.

Rick Hardslab got an enormous raise this year, but it's actually bigger than you think:

:wow:! Eat that, Krusty. Hardslab had his arb years bought out AND four years of free agency. Hardslab will be a Diamondback until 2031.... :negative:

:drat: :smug: Jackson McGee, not wanting to be outdone, signed a 7 year contract for 111 million, edging out Hardslab and Unts. He'll be stuck in Austin until 2031, though I have no idea how they're affording this. McGee's going to be about 1/5 to 1/4 of their payroll from year to year.

Bill Hrenchuk gets an interesting contract. His struggles made this somewhat unexpected, but the Padres pounced, offering him about 8 million per year for 3 years of his free agency. I think they're hoping he has a bounceback season soon given his high ratings, and want to buy him out now at bargain rates. This could be huge for the Padres, or be a bit of an albatross. I think it's a fairly good bet, especially since he plays a great defense 3B either way.

Bukowski, Ordonez, and Frazier all get good arb contracts, recognizing their good years, but no big long term contracts. Bukowski is a free agent after this season.

Everyone else either gets the league minimum or a small arb increase. If you got a small arb increase you're probably being watched to see how you do before buying you out or offering a bigger contract.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 18, 2015

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I was lucky to see Triple A :smith:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Has Texas lost in the first round every year Ordonez has played for them? This franchise is cursed, I tell you.

Also I gotta say I love the idea of a 360 lb first baseman having an .800+ OPS (the Iceburg guy). Wanna watch those at-bats

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Seattle? Christ, the weather just gets shittier every time. At least it's going to be time to get paid soon.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

No contract since last season. Guess that's the end of my hopes and dreams of being the most average MLB player ever. I guess I'll just have to find a generic desk job and coach kids baseball on the side. :smith:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Traded from a somewhat decent thing in Pittsburgh to the Braves of all teams. They're not even contending! Booooooooooooooo!

Seriously, giving up prospects and the team finishes 60-102? The trade AI in this game is flawed sometimes.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 18, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is Jarid Joseph a real person coded into the game? I drafted him in an online league and he's one of my best players.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JosefStalinator posted:

Jim Power also has a bad game, and lost his cool in a minor league game. After charging the mound the benches cleared, and both were suspended six games.

Well, at least I know Jim has kept playing some ball. I figure he's almost out of chances, however. :smith:

When's the next time we can expect updated player pages?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Explosionface posted:

Well, at least I know Jim has kept playing some ball. I figure he's almost out of chances, however. :smith:

When's the next time we can expect updated player pages?

I'll do it tonight for sure. I thought I did it a few days ago and the game froze up mid update.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I forgot where this thread was for a while. Glad to see my main main Hardslab is doing so well. Makes me proud.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JosefStalinator posted:

Another big trade, as Mike Bukowski is traded from the 3rd place 39-50 Marlins to the 5th place... 43-45 pirates?? That's out of six teams in the NL central now, too. That division is a clusterfuck, but I guess the pirates are slightly better than the Marlins. He has absolutely no closer competition in Pittsburgh, and will see all save opportunities.

I don't care that the Pirates suck now Bukowski is back in the promise land!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

HOCKLES WANT OUT OF HOUSTON. HOCKLES WANT BETTER PITCHING JOB. HOCKLES WANT EITHER START OR CLOSE.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wild thing still at the bottom of the list. How did ootp actually calculate how much a pitcher loses his stuff by having a bloodborne disease?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whoa thanks for this. That sportsfriends game is pretty drat fun with friends too (I have it on ps4) but I don't know how good it could be on PC

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Journey man stats...

Platinum swimming pool.

I can live with that. :coal:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RIP MAngles, your sub-.600 OPS was too beautiful for this world

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Dang, still no player page updates. I wanna see how my pitches have improved/declined over the past two seasons.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
poo poo yeah sorry got hit hard by real life commitments, will update the player pages and continue our goons careers soon!

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

2024 Season

Ex Odor suffers a very worrying injury down in the minors. Tearing your labrum is one of those injuries that can hurt your pitching potential, so we'll have to hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.

I was wondering why my potential jumped from the mid-30s to 74 - I gave up my second-base dreams to become a pitcher.

And then blew out my shoulder. :sigh:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Exodor posted:

I was wondering why my potential jumped from the mid-30s to 74 - I gave up my second-base dreams to become a pitcher.

And then blew out my shoulder. :sigh:

Woh, I missed that! Every so often you get one of those SP/Batter hybrids, but I've yet to see one find success converting from offense to pitching (or vice versa).

Ex Odor's ratings:

Now, I'm going to do one more year update then focus on getting the files uploaded. One minor problem I have is that I need to now update retired players. This is a bit troubling because there are a LOT of retired players, and the potential for a crash mid-upload is much higher with the additional 20k+ files it needs to upload. I'll see if I can narrow it down to recent retirements, but I don't know.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 22, 2015

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
After playing this game for a while the last few days I'm surprised Bukowski is doing as well as he is. Or at least I'm surprised he's standing out. I have an Oakland organization with three top closers, four top middle relievers, and my triple and double A teams are full of nearly full potential amazing relievers with sub 1.00 era.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2025 Season

As the great goon cull is nearly complete, the 2025 season is the watershed season for most goons. All that are going to make the majors have pretty much realized their goal, and they're even starting to approach free agency. Do we measure our goons' success on their awards? Their WS rings? Their stats (and which ones)? Or on cold, hard cash?

2025 Opening Day Status

Not much changes in the offseason among the minor leaguers. Zak Harov is still in the minors along with re-imagined pitcher Ex Odor and Leonard Snart, while basically every other goon is ticking down the time to their early retirement :(.

You'll notice quite a few changes among the major leaguers, however. Fizzlebeef signed a minor league contract and managed to get promoted by St. Louis, joining Fostolfur.

Simon MacGregoris now a Toronto Blue Jay! Poor Simon's had to relocate three times in the last year, but he'll survive. He gets to bat second and start at third in Toronto, so he'll be happy as long as he's getting regular starts.

RD Mangles, Squired Jr., Sud Belig and New Concept have some falls from grace, and are free agents much earlier than they expected. They at least tasted the majors and made a few bucks from it, and have a shot at finding new homes, even if in the minors. I hope they do :(.

The following goons are in the starting lineup on opening day(position, spot in lineup):

MacGregor: 3B, 2
Ordonez: 2B, 4
Fostolfur: 1B, 5
Johnson: RF, 4
Hrenchuk: SS, 5
O'Goku: C, 6
Unts: LF, 4
McGee: SS, 3
Frazier: C, 3
Callahan: 2B, 5

Fizzlebeef and Bissel remain on the bench, for now. Moosejaw is noted for moving up from middle relief to setup, inching towards the closer role. Hardslab remains a starter and Iroth remains a run of the mill middle reliever.

Same as it ever was.

Chuck Johnson wins NL player of the week, which is great, but I still lament his poor contact numbers that cannot be augmented by the dinger eating park he plays in. Remember that he has 85 rated power and has not hit over 20 HR's since coming to San Francisco. Never forget the Colorado trade. Never.

Sam Booty gets demoted again, but does well in the minors! Pretty sure he's out of options, so hopefully his next promotion will be for good.

Harry Callahan gets the hell out of Arizona on a very questionable trade. Callahan's ratings have tanked lately, but for some reason Seattle was willing to give up veteran Julio Teheran, who has been fantastic in this world, for very little in return. This bolsters Arizona's rotation considerably by adding another decent pitcher behind Hardslab. Maybe he'll finally have some backup and won't be the only pitcher worth poo poo on the team, which is trying to contend this year.

Seth Iroth suffers an injury at just the wrong time, as he had recently been converted back into a starting pitcher. Torn Labrum's can be bad, but at least he'll play again this season.

Four time world series champion and most popular man in Chicago Kris Bryant is now a Met, so he summarily gets injured and under performs, shocking no one.

2025 All-Star Rosters

In the NL, Mike Bukowski cements himself as an elite closer, again being elected to the All-Star game to follow up his reliever of the year award in 2024. Chuck Johnson has a bit of a renaissance in 2025, finally figuring out how to hit dingers in ATT park and earning his second All-Star election - his first being a full five years ago in 2020. He's hit 17 dingers through the halfway point, and if he tops 30 dingers playing half his games at ATT, I'll be amazed. I'll also check his home/road splits...

In the AL, Moosejaw Hockles continues his ascendance, being elected to the All-Star game as a reliever. Despite putting up great numbers and a commanding K/9, the Astros have no interest in letting him close. They have an elite closer already, so Moosejaw may see a trade soon to a contending team or one that simply lacks a strong bullpen arm. Ammat O'Goku is also chosen for the All-Star game, which I am frankly not shocked by. He really had his development slowed down by the Diamondbacks refusing to let him start, and now he's finally coming of his own.

This marks the first year since 2020 that Rusty "C" Unts is not chosen to be an All-Star. Maybe his WS contributions and MVP award are too distant now?

All-Star Break Player Stats

Another year, another solid showing by Krusty "C" Unts, who is on pace for a solid 26 dingers to go along with hitting for average and getting on base regularly. For once, Johnson leads the goons in power, but a good number of goons trail behind with 10 or more.

Ammat O'Goku had arguably the best half, at least relative to expectations. His 141 OPS+ is second among goons, and he's shown a surprising amount of power relative to previous seasons.

Struggling the most are MacGregor and Hrenchuk. Both are hitting below the league average but are for the time being shielded by their great defense. They have another half season at least to turn it around.

Speaking of great defense, Jackson McGee continues to lead the goons in WAR by virtue of his elite SS defense coupled with his ability to get on base. He's a sabermetricians dream.

Hardslab continues to be good but the biggest surprise is the upgrade of Seth Iroth to the Yankees rotation, where he thrived, before getting injured. If the injury derails his hopes of making the starting rotation, it'll be particularly disappointing.

2025 Regular Season Standings

It's a bit of a messy postseason in the NL, where a two-way tie for the NL Central is determined in a tie-breaker game 163, followed the next day by a game between Memphis and Arizona for the second wildcard. Memphis defeats Arizona and earns its first playoff birth in its short history, having been created in 2016.

The playoff picture is a bit thin for goons. Krusty "C" Unts' Cubs are back in it again, though only Anthony Rizzo, Salvador Perez, and Addison Russel are still around from the championship teams of the late 2010's. They're also notably joined by 35 year old (and still 80/80 rated) Giancarlo Stanton, who is FINALLY free of his Miami prison.

Chuck Johnson returns to the playoffs, having first appeared with the Rockies in 2018 and with the Giants in 2020. This time he gets to start rather than ride the bench.

Raul Ordonez and the 103 win Rangers are looking to finally give Texas a WS title, and are flanked by Moosejaw and the 101 win wildcard Astros.

Seth Iroth would be playing, but my math was off, and he's not healthy enough to play yet :(. A shame cause his Yankees made it to the playoffs!

Everyone else will have to sit idly by and wait for next year.

Wild Card Series

No goons see action in the WC series.

Division Series

Since the fates are cruel, the first Division Series is between the two Texas teams. Both players perform admirably, and Hockles even strikes out Ordonez in game 4, and it is the Astros who advance.

Chuck Johnson has a solid NLDS, bringing home one run and getting on base consistently, as the Giants squash the hopes of the young Memphis team.

Krusty "C" Unts does even better, but his Cubs are crushed 3 games to one :(.

Championship Series

Moosejaw serves as a closer for the ALCS, and enjoys one dramatic save situation. Late in Game 6, with Houston up 4 - 1, they surrender 2 runs to make it 4 - 3 with runners on first and second, one out. Moosejaw arrives and manages to force two groundballs - 1 to advance the runners, then another to secure a double play, ending the game 4 - 3 and keeping Houston alive for game seven.

Too bad Houston blew game 7 :(.

Chuck Johnson and the Giants are foolish to try to win in an odd year, and are punished by losing the NLCS 4 games to 3. Johnson simply couldn't handle it.

World Series

No goons appear in the WS :(.

More on Johnson, he has this happen just after losing game seven:

What chain went under? Why does Johnson need 2 million dollars in Rolex watches? No one can say for sure, but he's already made 30 million as a baseball player, so I don't quite understand how he managed to go bankrupt.

2025 MLB Awards
NL MVP: Jarid Joseph (Third place Krusty Unts)
AL MVP: Aramis Ademan
NL Cy Young: Juan Alvarez
AL Cy Young: Zach Davies
Silver Slugger, RF: Krusty Unts! (:woop:)
Silver Slugger, 2B: Raul Ordonez! (:woop:)
Golden Glove, 3B: Simon MacGregor! (:woop:)

Shut out of the big awards, goons did better on the silver slugger and golden gloves. Krusty was third in voting for the MVP after a strong (but apparently not All-Star) caliber season. At least he got the silver slugger as a consolation prize.

Raul Ordonez is probably the most underrated goon. He keeps doing well but not enough to get attention, and he's on a good team (Rangers), but never seems to make the headlines. This year he finally gets some recognition, winning the silver slugger at 2B.

And Simon MacGregor, for all his offensive troubles, is apparently the best defensive 3B in the AL! The unfortunate news is that he'd managed to be booted from the starting lineup by season's end...

Notable Minor League Awards
-Sud Belig wins player of the week, twice!
-Andrei Smirnov wins player of the week!

2025 Free Agency

This is the first year that more notable goons will be entering the free agency market! Johnson and Unts had some of their FA years bought out, but not Mike Bukowski, who is now a free agent and looking to go to a more competitive team where he might rack up more saves as an elite closer.

At first it looked like he might be heading to Washington, but in the end he heads to the Mets for a colossal 50 million over 3 years :catstare: :homebrew: Normally heading the mediocre and hapless Mets would be a universally terrible thing, but at least Bukowski gets to play for his hometown team, which apparently was the Mets growing up.

But drat, 50 million over 3 years is a LOT for a reliever. He picked a good time to get reliever of the year and be selected as an all star.

2025 Hall of Fame Results

Ivan Rodriguez sneaks in on the 10th ballot, and Ichiro may have a similar trajectory. Beltre, Verlander, and Cano are also creeping up and may eventually get in. Many more recognizable faces are at the bottom of the ballot, with most of our 2015 players having retired by now.

2025 Player Status

Player Status

Many more retirements :( But also some promotions! Snart and Ex Odor both finally sniff the major leagues, and only Fizzlebeef is left in the minors.

Batting Stats

Predictably, Krusty again leads the goons in OPS to be the all around best offensive player. Johnson managed to match his power numbers and narrowly avoid a 30 dinger season. It should be noted that he hit 17 dingers on the road for a .836 OPS, lowering to .705 at home. Imagine if he was still in Colorado, where he hit 4 dingers in 43 PA this year :(. He also led the league in RBI's.

Ordonez and O'Goku are the two next best hitters, and somehow O'Goku found his power this season with 15 dingers.

The big losers are MacGregor and perennial loser Hrenchuk. MacGregor may have another shot due to his elite defense, but I worry for Hrenchuk, who's been on the edge for more than a few seasons now.

Also of note is that Jackson McGee only narrowly topped the other goons in WAR, with Ordonez's own great defense bringing him within .1 WAR of being the most valuable goon. I wish I knew defensive WAR so I could tell you which goon was the best pure offensively, but I'd bet it's Krusty, just going off OPS+.

Pitching Stats

Another season, another great Hardslab performance. That 20 million a year he'll be making is looking to be worth every penny, even if his ERA crept back up a bit this year. I'd be inclined to think it was temporary.

I wish I could say more about Iroth but I'm just hoping he's starting again next season, but he's a reliever right now. Moosejaw had a great season and I think he might someday make a setup or even a closer if he's lucky, or as long as he's putting up sub 3.00 ERA's.

Bukowski was obviously the big story, and not much more can be said other than that he's rich as gently caress.

Ex Odor is a reliever now, and did poorly in his one appearance, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Finances

The big story is obviously Bukowski's massive contract, but I didn't notice Raul Ordonez striking gold himself. He signed a four year, 28 million dollar extension with the Rangers, buying out the rest of his arbitration years and into free agency. I think the Rangers got a bit of a bargain with that one, though it should be noted that Ordonez is already 29 years old.

I think every one else either continued with their current contracts or got nice raises in arbitration. I know O'Goku did, and he's making great bank before even becoming a FA. I hope he keeps up his current roll, cause a good catcher can get paid big time once he hits free agency.

Now I'm gonna get these drat files uploaded.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 22, 2015

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Ordonez being criminally underrated is the story of my life. I can't wait for people to be arguing his inclusion on HoF ballots in 15 years. (hopefully)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well, I suppose Harry won't be a superstar, but you know what? He's good, and I'm proud of what he's done so far, at the very least.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Oh Jim Power, you were too beautiful for this cruel baseball world. May you be mediocre in your next ventures in life. :smith:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Oh my god my overall tanked. I really hope that's just a side effect of the recovery process and I'll be back to where I was by Spring Training.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

HOCKLES ALL-STAR!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I live about 30 minutes away from Citifield. It's a nice stadium, I bet Bukowski will be a noticeable smell there.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
All Star Catcher :smug:

Doltos posted:

I live about 30 minutes away from Citifield. It's a nice stadium, I bet Bukowski will be a noticeable smell there.

wait isn't Bukowski from Pittsburgh? That's a little more than 20 minutes from Queens.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

God damnit, all this moving isn't good for ones career! Toronto doesn't seem too bad, but still, spending your real formative years going from team to team is not good, and it shows!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Big Daddy V with a couple of stolen bases! That had to be funny to watch. One more season on the hapless Braves(how did they finish anyway?), and I can bolt for the big bucks on a contender.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Iceberg not living up to his power potential. Seen as a failure in home country. Still on the rookie pay scale from being bounced around so much. Can he find wealth, health, and success in St. Louis?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ammat The Ankh posted:

wait isn't Bukowski from Pittsburgh? That's a little more than 20 minutes from Queens.

Bukowski was supposed to be from Pittsburgh but Josef made him from NYC. I'm actually from the tri-state area so Citifield is close by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Armitage posted:

Big Daddy V with a couple of stolen bases! That had to be funny to watch. One more season on the hapless Braves(how did they finish anyway?), and I can bolt for the big bucks on a contender.

Oops, forgot the standings! Fixing now.

Doltos posted:

Bukowski was supposed to be from Pittsburgh but Josef made him from NYC. I'm actually from the tri-state area so Citifield is close by.

Doh! So many dudes to create, I made a few mistakes on minor stuff like birthplace. Would you like me to change it or is it part of his ~~narrative~~ now?

• Locked thread